• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Only some humans can see refresh rates faster than others, I am one of those humans.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I'm sorry. But your graph over time is wrong. A CRT doesn't work the way you tried to paint it. You would need to know how a CRT is built to know how it works and why some people got headaches.

That's how a CRT works, measured at a specific point on the screen.

For the screen as a whole, the output from the electron gun is constant, but your retina doesn't focus on the whole screen at once, your macula focal region is a 5° cone of vision, and your monochrome periphery vision is even more sensitive to rapid contrast and brightness variance, which is why you can notice flicker in your peripheral vision sometimes but not when you stare directly at the source.

You're sorry? No, you're just plain wrong - I spent five seconds to double-check I was right and this was the very first google result. If you're going to attempt to patronise someone, please make sure you have a clue what you're actually talking about, at least take the five seconds to check yourself before wasting 20 seconds typing something wrong in a condescending tone.

1715252984352.png 1715252892412.png
(source link)

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i9-10900K
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490M Gaming Edge
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK64GX4M2E3200C16
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 OC
Storage Samsung 950 Pro 512GB & Samsung 870 EVO 2TB & Toshiba X300 12TB
Display(s) LG C1(55")
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Corsair Glaive RGB Pro
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K90
The only way to know for sure is to do a blind test where you are not allowed to move a mouse, as you are talking about *seeing* FPS(trying to feel it, would be cheating). Variable refresh rate test comprising of many refresh rates. Perhaps 30 different refresh rates running for a minute each where you would enter the refresh rate number after each test.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
The only way to know for sure is to do a blind test where you are not allowed to move a mouse, as you are talking about *seeing* FPS(trying to feel it, would be cheating). Variable refresh rate test comprising of many refresh rates. Perhaps 30 different refresh rates running for a minute each where you would enter the refresh rate number after each test.
A few of the videos I've seen are blind testing of prerecorded gameplay footage, to ensure all participants get the exact same content.

You're talking about an even more scientific test, which is valid, but I don't think anyone actually cares, since based on the poll that's gone up, about 90% of respondents can see and appreciate higher refresh rates.

That's a much higher percentage than I predicted it would be but I'm not actually surprised, I erred on cautious side, and it's not a true random sample of people, it's 90% of a sample of people interested in a discussion about refresh rates. Even so, if 90% of the people interested in a more scientific test like you're suggesting already see high refresh rates, why bother doing such a large scale test to tell them what they already know, because they can see it with their own eyes!

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
A few of the videos I've seen are blind testing of prerecorded gameplay footage, to ensure all participants get the exact same content.

You're talking about an even more scientific test, which is valid, but I don't think anyone actually cares, since based on the poll that's gone up, about 90% of respondents can see and appreciate higher refresh rates.

That's a much higher percentage than I predicted it would be but I'm not actually surprised, I erred on cautious side, and it's not a true random sample of people, it's 90% of a sample of people interested in a discussion about refresh rates. Even so, if 90% of the people interested in a more scientific test like you're suggesting already see high refresh rates, why bother doing such a large scale test to tell them what they already know, because they can see it with their own eyes!
I'm fine with the results of the poll here but I do wonder how many more might have voted that they saw no difference if the vote had been anonymous. Maybe not much but who knows?

Processor Intel i7 77OOK
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus something
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S dual fan
Memory Ballistix 32 Go
Video Card(s) MSI 3060 Gaming X
Storage Mixed bag of M2 SSD and SATA SSD
Display(s) MSI 34" 3440x1440 Artimys 343CQR
Case Old Corsair Obsidian something
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply Old Antec HCG 620 still running good
Mouse Steelseries something
Keyboard Steelseries someting too
Benchmark Scores bench ? no time to lose with bench ! :)
I wonder ... hope pple don't mix high FPS and high Hrz refresh ...

System Name Naboo (2019)
Processor AMD 3800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Master V1 (X470)
Cooling individual EKWB/Heatkiller loop
Memory 4*8 GB 3600 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 5700XT
Storage SSD 1TB PCIe 4.0x4, 2 TB PCIe 3.0
Display(s) 2*WQHD
Case Lian Li O11 Rog
Audio Device(s) Hifiman, Topping DAC/KHV
Power Supply Seasonic 850W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX2, Logitech MX Ergo Trackball
Keyboard Cherry Stream Wireless, Logitech MX Keys
Software Linux Mint "Vera" Cinnamon
You're sorry? No, you're just plain wrong - I spent five seconds to double-check I was right and this was the very first google result. If you're going to attempt to patronise someone, please make sure you have a clue what you're actually talking about, at least take the five seconds to check yourself before wasting 20 seconds typing something wrong in a condescending tone.

You can use Google search. Great. I learned how to repair a CRT professionally. I learned how a CRT works.

The problem of all of you is not the FPS of a device but the sh*t of uneducated programmers not knowing how to code clean. How are not able to calculate their code runtime etc. The same at the CPU. The speed reduces the problems of their code. The best counter example to your FPS ferrytale are the demos of the Commodore Amiga. Programming s art. But most can only paint a wall of a house.

Only once i want to be that stupid to use a compiler to have the resulting code interpreted like at M$.Net. Only once.

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R9 5950X Stock
Motherboard X570 Aorus Master/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory 32 GB 4x8GB 4000CL15 Trident Z Royal/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) LG G2 65/LG C1 48/ LG 27GP850/ MSI 27 inch VA panel 1440p165hz
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum/ Logitech G Pro
I'm fine with the results of the poll here but I do wonder how many more might have voted that they saw no difference if the vote had been anonymous. Maybe not much but who knows?

If I saw 0 difference I'd have no issues voting no either way there isn't anything wrong with or with not being able to discern different refresh rates.

I would have a much harder time above 60fps telling them apart if it was a recorded video vs having hands on with the different framerates. I've had a high refresh monitor now for almost a decade. Even at the start I had a 4k60 Dell ultrasharp and a Asus ROG 165hz display and I much preferred the higher refresh monitor but to those that prefer Uber high resolution more power to them it's always a tradeoff and it's the beauty of the pc platform everyone can game how they want assuming they have the disposable income ofc.

System Name S.L.I + RTX research rig
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X 3D.
Motherboard MSI MEG ACE X570
Cooling Corsair H150i Cappellx
Memory Corsair Vengeance pro RGB 3200mhz 16Gbs
Video Card(s) 2x Dell RTX 2080 Ti in S.L.I
Storage Western digital Sata 6.0 SDD 500gb + fanxiang S660 4TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2
Display(s) HP X24i
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Power Supply EVGA G+1600watts
Mouse Corsair Scimitar
Keyboard Cosair K55 Pro RGB
It doesn't matter who's moving the mouse, the cursor is going to have wider gaps between each update, as the fps decreases.
Not when you can control the number of trails.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
You can use Google search. Great. I learned how to repair a CRT professionally. I learned how a CRT works.

The problem of all of you is not the FPS of a device but the sh*t of uneducated programmers not knowing how to code clean. How are not able to calculate their code runtime etc. The same at the CPU. The speed reduces the problems of their code. The best counter example to your FPS ferrytale are the demos of the Commodore Amiga. Programming s art. But most can only paint a wall of a house.

Only once i want to be that stupid to use a compiler to have the resulting code interpreted like at M$.Net. Only once.
It would appear you don't have even have the weakest grasp of the relationship between CRT beam scan and human vision if you're now blaming "the sh*t of uneducated programmers not knowing how to code clean".

First of all, you can't patronisingly tell someone they're wrong in the face of strong supporting, seemingly-relevant evidence and then provide not only no evidence, but no reasoning for either why they're wrong, or why their evidence is wrong.

Second, have you been living under a rock for a decade? Competitive games have been running at hundreds of FPS for a long time, with a lot of work put into reducing latency and delivery accurately-timed, evenly-paced frames. I think Scott Wasson's Inside the Second article on the now defunct TechReport was a key turning point in getting the gaming and GPU industry to focus on lower-latency, more evenly paced frames. His article (2011, by the way) was the turning point at which everyone started concerning themselves with minimum FPS, 1% lows, frame pacing, and input lag. There are ecosystems that have gone through multiple generations of hardware and software since then, both on the consumer side (Reflex, Anti-Lag, etc) and for journalists/researchers to measure (FRAPS>FCAT>LDAT).

You haven't explained why I'm wrong and what little you have said makes it sound like you're angrily living 15 years in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
Low quality post by gurusmi
System Name Naboo (2019)
Processor AMD 3800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Master V1 (X470)
Cooling individual EKWB/Heatkiller loop
Memory 4*8 GB 3600 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 5700XT
Storage SSD 1TB PCIe 4.0x4, 2 TB PCIe 3.0
Display(s) 2*WQHD
Case Lian Li O11 Rog
Audio Device(s) Hifiman, Topping DAC/KHV
Mouse Logitech MX2, Logitech MX Ergo Trackball
Keyboard Cherry Stream Wireless, Logitech MX Keys
Software Linux Mint "Vera" Cinnamon
Not acceptable behaviour
It would appear you don't have even have the weakest grasp of the relationship between CRT beam scan and human vision if you're now blaming "the sh*t of uneducated programmers not knowing how to code clean".

It's ok. You're right and I'll keep my peace. You're wasting my time with uneducated stupidness. Enjoy your stay at my ignore list.

Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI B650 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua NHU12S
Memory 2x16 GB GSKILL 6000MHZ CL28
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900 GRE
Storage 1TB Samsung 980 PRO
Display(s) LG 32GP750 31.5" 2K QHD (2560 x 1440) 165Hz Gaming Monitor
Case Coolermater HAF 650
Audio Device(s) BeyerDynamic Amiron Home
I still remember playing Witcher 3 locked at 144hz 144fps and just in aw as I turned around. Its a game changer.

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Motherboard MSI x570S Unify-X Max
Cooling D5 clone, 280 rad, two F14 + three F12S bottom/intake, two P14S + F14S (Rad) + two F14 (top)
Memory 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance bdie 3600@CL16 1.35v
Video Card(s) GB 2080S WaterForce WB
Storage six M.2 pcie gen 4
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar AE, modded Sennheiser HD 558, Klipsch 2.1 THX
Power Supply Corsair RMx 750w
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
Benchmark Scores TimeSpy score Fire Strike Ultra SuperPosition CB20
@chrcoluk
i never cared above 50/60Hz, until i started playing online in a team (more often).
when you pull the trigger, and still get killed by the enemy, shooting after you did, you start noticing...

but ppl also ignore synced vs unsynced.
i rather have a game vrr synced and capped at 58, than unsynced at 120,
while still getting a massive drop in rendering time (cpu/gpu) vs vsync, similar to using a higher fps.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs, 24TB Enterprise drives
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
yep.

I had 120hz in school and a roomate had a 144hz

I could not tell the difference in a game at that.

Having said that, being at 4k and not really playing fps anymore, I'll keep my money and use 60hz. When/if 120hz becomes about a $50 adder to 4k I may drop that coin for the option.

Also I'd be willing to bet younger people can detect more fps than older people say like teenager vs 60+, but same cane be said for hearing, etc. Just the nature of things.
My 4K Samsung does 120Hz supposedly (I think it's interpolated frame generation) but I still limit it to 60FPS or lower as I see no difference. 55 inches of HDR 4K goodness at 60FPS is awesome, the pixel density and contrast are amazing.

Processor Intel Core i5 8400
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370N-Wifi
Cooling Silverstone AR05
Memory Micron Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming 8G
Storage Micron Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) Dell U2415
Case Silverstone RVZ02B
Power Supply Silverstone SSR-SX550
Keyboard Ducky One Red Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro 1909
I can tell the difference if I look at one then look at the other. But I am perfectly comfortable using 60hz monitors, so no need to buy high end stuff for me lol

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30-36-36-76
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv +150 core
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
Regarding my earlier posts in this thread about the science part of what is going on, I wonder if researching this for gaming related stuff could lead to helping studies like this one? In short: patients who see motion slower in older age can have Alzheimer's predicted 12 years ahead of schedule. I wonder if there is any crossover here, probably not, but it still might lead to some deeper understanding of how the part of the brain that makes visual stimulation - and what role that plays in all of this medical and immersion

It seems to me that brains that get stimulated more frequently can ward off dementia to some degree, its sort of like the old saying, "if you don't use it, you lose it" ----

Link to Medical Study

actual study

From the article:
“We found that a low score on this test missing many targets can indicate future dementia risk, on average 12 years before the diagnosis, especially when using this test with other specific memory tests and some tests of global cognitive functioning worked well to predict this risk.”

the targets he is referring to his visual tests.

and don't our fluids flush our brain out during deep sleep cycles? and the older you get the harder it is to get in deep sleep cycles, usually older people wake up every few hours. I wonder if that has a role in this too. so use it or you lose it combined with the need for deep sleep cycles, that would be interesting to study in relation to all of this

Last edited:
System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Motherboard MSI x570S Unify-X Max
Cooling D5 clone, 280 rad, two F14 + three F12S bottom/intake, two P14S + F14S (Rad) + two F14 (top)
Memory 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance bdie 3600@CL16 1.35v
Video Card(s) GB 2080S WaterForce WB
Storage six M.2 pcie gen 4
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar AE, modded Sennheiser HD 558, Klipsch 2.1 THX
Power Supply Corsair RMx 750w
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
Benchmark Scores TimeSpy score Fire Strike Ultra SuperPosition CB20
might be worth a try, but seeing that more and more research into things like ALS or Alzheimer,
shows its caused either by genes or bacteria, stuff not affected by "training" the brain.

the funny part is, any brain gymnastics like doing calculations, dont even have to be correct on the results.
numbers showed less than -5% difference in "gains", vs those that got the "summary' right.