• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony Reverses Decision of Mandatory PSN Account for Helldivers 2 After Negative Feedback

Not another game like this? Caveat that I don't play, but it looks for all the world like the love child of HD1 and Deep Rock Galactic (which is itself the love child of Left4Dead and Minecraft). There's also Darktide, plus Starship Troopers Extermination in the pipeline. None of those are an exact analog and STE is admittedly an Early Access dumpster fire right now, but HD2 isn't exactly un-replicable. If it does implode, somebody else will pick up the formula and release something that scratches the same itch within a year or two. Hell, that's exactly how we ended up with Cities: Skylines in the wake of SimCity's hard flop.
Indeed, not another game like this, where the Devs actively manipulate the lore/story/in-game events, giving the illusion that the game is really evolving or adapting to players' actions. The rest of the game is nothing new, and like you mention, could be found on some level in other games, esp. extraction shooters. But actively evolving according to player performance and a steadily shifting narrative to keep players engaged? There aren't really any games putting out that level of proactive engagement.

Who knew complaining would actually do something. I sure didn't see this coming. Sony is usually pretty tone-deaf, for many reasons too... not just PlayStation related.
What a big victory this was, and best of all - it didn't take 1 year for them to fix the issue.
It's a very small victory. Modern Sony can be surprisingly stubborn, and have shown in the past that they can and will eventually get their way when it comes to things like enforcing PSN accounts. But it's very much true that SIE has been extremely tone-deaf, and it's only gotten worse when everything got centralized and led to an overall reduction in game output and other poor decisions. On the other hand, the rest of Sony is slow to adapt, due to their slow and steady culture in Japan, which leads to its own kind of issues. It also doesn't help that SIE is currently seeking a new CEO; the interim one is the 2nd in command of Sony's entire business, and he's focused more on growth, and assisting with managing the entirety of Sony. SIE is just a temporary CEO position for him.

System Name Too old for this
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard Asus Zenith II Extreme
Cooling EK ZIIE Monoblock
Memory 8x8gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600mhz C16
Video Card(s) Asus 3090 EK
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4 1tb + Rocket 3 2tb
Display(s) LG 65G26LA + Asus PG35VQ
Case Asus Helios
Audio Device(s) Creative AE9 + Edifier Luna + Marantz Cinema 40 + Monitor Audio Silver 500
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200W
Mouse Corsair M85 Elite
Keyboard Corsair K70 Mk.2
I have a bit of a doomer take on this. I don't think Sony learned anything from this and I don't think it will change anything in gaming. People can make a big fuss about the game all they want, and talk about how horrible Sony is. When the next Spider-Man game comes out. They will all be preordering it. All Sony did to appease players was rollback a horrible decision. That is not enough for them to gain my trust. Sony did not make any promises about future games, or even apologize directly for it.
there are a lot of gamers that only cares about good games (or just games that they like) and doesn't follow any of the news about corporations making bad decisions and so on, expecially if those bad decisions are about a game that they don't even play.
most of the times people will drop a "series" of games after one bad experience (or not so good one), but ignoring the eventually bad corps that are behing the game itself.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
1715067867588.png

Based.

Note: not actual ingame item, just concept from reddit.

Last edited:
System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
I think it’s already dead. Too many people take steam reviews as the gospel (they review bombed it because of policy not gameplay)

It’s not like those 200k people will delete their reviews. It would also be up to steam to retro actively re add the game to the 170 countries it delisted from ( I wouldn’t given this amount of drama)

It wouldn’t surprise me if this was a sacrifice as is. It will never get the attention it properly deserves from anyone that didn’t follow the story because now it just looks like another bad game.

Shit I did and I don’t know anything about this series but I’ll never buy it; I don’t like the drama or the twitter play by plays by the studio it’s too much.
This game wasnt the first to do this nonsense, it just looks like the tipping point got reached and it took the brunt of the push back. People are sick of having to sign/link up here there and everywhere to use a product/service.

Every time now when I get asked to buy something from some unknown online retailer, there is of course no guest checkout, and by default I am on some kind of mailing list, even when I click opt out. Same type of thing.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Had it just been people screaming. I'm sure sony would have just ignored and carried on, but when Steam started issuing refunds they could no longer carry on laughing their way to the bank.

The fact that it took them this long to reverse it says it all really. They'll probably mandate a PSN account for their games moving forward so you'll get to choose if you want to buy the game or not rather than buying it and them changing the ToS after the sale