• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What do you do for a living?

r9

System Name Primary|Secondary|Poweredge r410|Dell XPS|SteamDeck
Processor i7 11700k|i7 9700k|2 x E5620 |i5 5500U|Zen 2 4c/8t
Memory 32GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|32GB ECC DDR3|8GB DDR4|16GB LPDDR5
Video Card(s) RX 7800xt|RX 6700xt |On-Board|On-Board|8 RDNA 2 CUs
Storage 2TB m.2|512GB SSD+1TB SSD|2x256GBSSD 2x2TBGB|256GB sata|512GB nvme
Display(s) 50" 4k TV | Dell 27" |22" |3.3"|7"
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey+ | Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 Pro|Windows 10 Pro|Windows 10 Home| Server 2012 r2|Windows 10 Pro
Especially in the outback having to worry about deadly spiders and venomous snakes...... I'd love that excuse to give my wife... Can't do the yard today I might die. :laugh: :toast:

All joking aside that's how most the world views Australia.
In my case I'll have to say deadly squirrels.

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R9 5950X Stock
Motherboard X570 Aorus Master/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory 32 GB 4x8GB 4000CL15 Trident Z Royal/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) LG G2 65/LG C1 48/ LG 27GP850/ MSI 27 inch VA panel 1440p165hz
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum/ Logitech G Pro
In my case I'll have to say deadly squirrels.

The ones here are pretty annoying as well throw nuts at you etc......

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Video Card(s) Zotac 4080 w.c.
Storage 2TB Kingston kc3k
Display(s) Gigabyte 34" Curved
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Cool n Quiet.
Especially in the outback having to worry about deadly spiders and venomous snakes

Nah, once you been living here for 40+ year you become like Crocodile Dundee and eat em for breakfast.

But seriously, where I live in Perth W.A. it's the heat that kills you doing this job in the summertime. Can get consistently about 40°c for days.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
That was the 737-800/900.

You've got a greater chance of dying driving to pick up a new GPU than taking a commercial flight every now and then.

I looked at my flight history it was the 787 I was in that day it dipped down for 7-10 seconds and everyone was screaming. Not sure what happened there because that plane was never recalled. I have flown in a 787 since then and I was fine, just a higher base line of anxiety, also gripping my arm chair seats at the slightest sign of turbulence lmao i think i am going to ask doctor to just give me one pill of something that will knock me out that i can take right before liftoff or something, that would be great.

I understand what you mean, but still its hard to get rid of that anxiety when you fly after you experience something like that. I am hoping that @nguyen can maybe explain it to me rationally what might have happened (also has this ever happened to you while flying @nguyen ?), so I can maybe have some peace of mind lol

The ones here are pretty annoying as well throw nuts at you etc......

wtf, never seen a squirrel do this ever. haha the squirrels are so pissed off at humans in Cali can't say I blame them

System Name His & Hers
Memory 32 GB 4x8GB 4000CL15 Trident Z Royal/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Storage lots of SSD.
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
wtf, never seen a squirrel do this ever. haha the squirrels are so pissed off at humans in Cali can't say I blame them

It's more they are dropping them from trees onto you or onto your car. Some people also feed them so they come running for you thinking you have food.

System Name Windows | Linux
Processor 13900K | 14900KpoS
Motherboard Pro Z790-A WiFi | Z790 Apex Encore
Cooling Arctic LF III 360 | Arctic LF III 420
Memory 32GB 6600 CL32 | 48GB 8200 CL38
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 | RTX 4070Ti Super
Display(s) MSI MAG401QR
Case Phanteks P600s | Asus PA602
Power Supply Vertex GX-1000 | Vertex GX-1000
Software Win 11 Pro | Debian
Benchmark Scores They suck.
I looked at my flight history it was the 787 I was in that day it dipped down for 7-10 seconds and everyone was screaming. Not sure what happened there because that plane was never recalled. I have flown in a 787 since then and I was fine, just a higher base line of anxiety, also gripping my arm chair seats at the slightest sign of turbulence lmao i think i am going to ask doctor to just give me one pill of something that will knock me out that i can take right before liftoff or something, that would be great.

I understand what you mean, but still its hard to get rid of that anxiety when you fly after you experience something like that. I am hoping that @nguyen can maybe explain it to me rationally what might have happened, so I can maybe have some peace of mind lol

I can totally understand. I, fortunately, don't have a fear of flying, but I did have a physical reaction to heights if I'm not enclosed - think like the outside edge of the Space Needle in Seattle. Just almost freeze in place.

To cure that, my wife and I booked a skydiving trip. After you've jumped out of a perfectly good airplane at 12k feet strapped to a stranger and freefall for 60 seconds, the turbulence doesn't matter as much anymore. Best cure ever.

Back on topic.

I've been in corporate IT for 20+ years. I'm completely burned out in my current position and not really sure what to do next.

Even after all that time, I still look forward to time spent with personal PCs at night and on the weekends.

To the OP - find something that pays the bills that you don't hate and leaves you enough energy at the end of the day/week to do the things you enjoy.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11
I was on a 787 crossing the Atlantic in 2016 I believe it was, the plane went straight down for about 7 or 8 seconds, everyone was screaming. A year or two later that model of plane or its relative the 777 I can't remember honestly, was banned by all governments of the world from flying due to two crashes caused by computer malfunctions. I have a fear of flying to this day, for if I can not trust Boeing, than who can I trust? There are only two companies ffs.

Any advice for me? I never used to have a fear of flying before that incident, but when you feel your life is about to end and everyone is screaming.... its really hard to let that go.
Reminds me of when I was on an older plane (MD80 which is no longer in service IIRC) traveling from WA to CA in the 90s, that got struck by lightning. The plane lost power for a whole 5 seconds but thankfully came back to life. I thought sure we was gonna die.

Planes take a lot to kill completely thankfully. Tons and tons of redundancy in them.

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
I was in that day it dipped down for 7-10 seconds

The plane lost power for a whole 5 seconds

Yep, this would scare the shit out of me also. I'm not a big fan of flying. Maybe because I know I don't have control of the vehicle? Not sure.

I have flown to Brazil and back a few times as I ended up marrying a Brazilian lady @Dr. Dro (tudo bem :) and I can tell you that it's not easy getting there from Perth Australia to Brasil.

The easiest way to get there was Perth- Johannesburg- Sao Paulo. Roughly two 10 hour flights, but that flight has been cancelled. Now it's like Perth- Abu Dhabi- Sao Paulo, 17 hours then 15 hours. We once did Perth- Sydney- Santiago- Sao Paulo and that was killer! I get off the plane in Sao Paulo like a zombie then still have to fly domestically to her home state. Try this then handle the time difference and speaking Portuguese :(

Yes, I have flown a little bit in my time and still not keen on it.

r9

System Name Primary|Secondary|Poweredge r410|Dell XPS|SteamDeck
Processor i7 11700k|i7 9700k|2 x E5620 |i5 5500U|Zen 2 4c/8t
Memory 32GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|32GB ECC DDR3|8GB DDR4|16GB LPDDR5
Video Card(s) RX 7800xt|RX 6700xt |On-Board|On-Board|8 RDNA 2 CUs
Storage 2TB m.2|512GB SSD+1TB SSD|2x256GBSSD 2x2TBGB|256GB sata|512GB nvme
Display(s) 50" 4k TV | Dell 27" |22" |3.3"|7"
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey+ | Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 Pro|Windows 10 Pro|Windows 10 Home| Server 2012 r2|Windows 10 Pro
Nah, once you been living here for 40+ year you become like Crocodile Dundee and eat em for breakfast.

But seriously, where I live in Perth W.A. it's the heat that kills you doing this job in the summertime. Can get consistently about 40°c for days.
US folks reading 40C probably thinking that can't be too bad ...using CPU/GPU temp as reference

US folks reading 40C probably thinking that can't be too bad ...using CPU/GPU temp as reference
I'm from EU living in US and the imperial system drives me crazy when I buy things like drill bits or bolts.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Ocean Plastic Mouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
Yep, this would scare the shit out of me also. I'm not a big fan of flying. Maybe because I know I don't have control of the vehicle? Not sure.

I have flown to Brazil and back a few times as I ended up marrying a Brazilian lady @Dr. Dro (tudo bem :) and I can tell you that it's not easy getting there from Perth Australia to Brasil.

The easiest way to get there was Perth- Johannesburg- Sao Paulo. Roughly two 10 hour flights, but that flight has been cancelled. Now it's like Perth- Abu Dhabi- Sao Paulo, 17 hours then 15 hours. We once did Perth- Sydney- Santiago- Sao Paulo and that was killer! I get off the plane in Sao Paulo like a zombie then still have to fly domestically to her home state. Try this then handle the time difference and speaking Portuguese :(

You're a lucky, lucky man. No doubt she introduced you to our unique delicacies... Brigadeiro, beijinho, quindim, feijoada... :laugh:
I just recommend everyone try a can of Guaraná Antarctica if they have the chance. I know that at least American Amazon no doubt has these imported... it's delicious :toast:

System Name His & Hers
Storage lots of SSD.
You're a lucky, lucky man. No doubt she introduced you to our unique delicacies... Brigadeiro, beijinho, quindim, feijoada... :laugh:
I just recommend everyone try a can of Guaraná Antarctica if they have the chance. I know that at least American Amazon no doubt has these imported... it's delicious :toast:

Comes in a green can I think. Makes me think of ginger ale so I've never tried it.

Space Lynx

Astronaut

I'm lucky that the only places I want to go to are Ireland and UK, sometimes Finland. I have one flight that is 2 hours long, then second flight usually out of JFK to London is about 7 hours. It's usually more like 6, not sure why they always tell us 7. I like this Jerry Seinfeld joke: One of Jerry Seinfeld's stand up jokes was why commercial airplane pilots tell the passengers they are cruising at 500 mph, when the plane is capable of 700 mph. Jerry: “There's no speed limits w/airplanes, so why doesn't the pilot go as fast as they can all the time?” I forget the exact quote, but something like that. It's funnier when he says it.

I do wish Concorde planes became the normal thing and all other planes just vanished, would be so cool to just go see my friends in a two hour plane ride instead of 7 or 8.

I've been in corporate IT for 20+ years. I'm completely burned out in my current position and not really sure what to do next.

heh if I had your skillset all my dreams would be true. I could easily find a good paying fully remote job, get me a rtx 4090 HID Evolution laptop with liquid metal, and just travel everywhere while I work staying at air bnb's, etc. I would be doing a tour of Spain, then Italy, then up to visit my friends in England in the Spring. I have been searching daily for jobs for about a year now, I just did 5 more applications this past weekend, it really sucks not having a in-demand career. You may be burned out, but at least you are not heading toward age 40 and still have to live with your parents cause you majored in liberal arts lol

To cure that, my wife and I booked a skydiving trip. After you've jumped out of a perfectly good airplane at 12k feet strapped to a stranger and freefall for 60 seconds, the turbulence doesn't matter as much anymore. Best cure ever.

I might go yolo and do this someday, one of my relatives in England, he jumps out of planes every weekend for fun, and cause he is a millionaire and this is the only thing that excites him I guess. one of his mates last year did the math wrong on his shoot, and had broken bones pretty much in entire body. so if I do it, it will be with a professional place and strapped to someone i trust that has done it a million times lol

Comes in a green can I think. Makes me think of ginger ale so I've never tried it.

Yep, shipped and sold by amazon so its legit. I am going to give it a try I think. not sure why it needs so much added sugar when its a fruit though. bleh.

System Name His & Hers
Storage lots of SSD.
Yep, shipped and sold by amazon so its legit. I am going to give it a try I think. not sure why it needs so much added sugar when its a fruit though. bleh.

At least it's actually sugar and not high fructose corn syrup.

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Brigadeiro, beijinho, quindim, feijoada

Yes of course! Muito Bom! My favorites are Bolinha De Queijo and Requeijao, delicioso!

Guaraná Antarctica

Yes, had quite a few of these!

My wife also took me to Fos Do Acuazu. Was the most spectacular place I've been to yet! Did the helicopter ride over the top as well as the boat ride down the bottom. Muito Bonito! I thought it was much better than the Grand Canyon we visited when we did a bit of touring through Californina.

We also crossed the border into Argentina and looked at the falls from their side.

They have also taken me to Shopping China in Paraguay, her dad lives at the beach in Guaruja, Sao Paulo so stayed there for a few days. They also took me to Bonito and her sister lives in Palmos so also been there too.

System Name His & Hers
Storage lots of SSD.
Yes of course! Muito Bom! My favorites are Bolinha De Queijo and Requeijao, delicioso!

My wife also took me to Fos Do Acuazu. Was the most spectacular place I've been to yet! Did the helicopter ride over the top as well as the boat ride down the bottom. Muito Bonito! I thought it was much better than the Grand Canyon we visited when we did a bit of touring through Californina.

We also crossed the border into Argentina and looked at the falls from their side.

They have also taken me to Shopping China in Paraguay, her dad lives at the beach in Guaruja, Sao Paulo so stayed there for a few days. They also took me to Bonito and her sister lives in Palmos so also been there too.

Gonna start calling you Mr. Worldwide.

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11

You should have seen my Dundee skills in the Amazon mate, catching the Anacondas. Little bit tougher than the snakes here :)

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Ocean Plastic Mouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."

There is a sugar free one! And it's my favorite too.

But I'm also the kind of guy who likes diet coke... bad habit I picked up from Mom :laugh:

Haha those cheese balls are amazing, indeed. I personally think it's a bit too greasy for me, but hey, one or two can't hurt :D

Iguazu Falls/Foz do Iguaçu is an interesting place, it's right alongside the border with both Paraguay and Argentina, I've never been, but the place's pretty famous here. Never been myself, but a lot of Brazilians go to neighboring Ciudad del Este in Paraguay to smuggle tech and alcoholic beverages back into the country, due to Paraguay's much lower prices and taxation. Guarujá is actually pretty close to where I live, couple of hours drive. One of the closest resort beach cities, there's one I want to visit called Ilhabela. There's an amazing hotel there that's been in my "to-do" list once I, well, have a gf :laugh:

Come to think of it, it's also an excellent time to visit Argentina. The hermanos' currency is worth less than dirt right now, their economy can sure use the foreign dollars coming in right about now. 1 USD is currently trading to 350 ARS on the mainstream exchange, I'm sure black market exchange rates (due to imposed limits, these are a reality) must be at least 5 times that much right now.

Last edited:
System Name His & Hers
Storage lots of SSD.
There is a sugar free one! And it's my favorite too.

But I'm also the kind of guy who likes diet coke... bad habit I picked up from Mom :laugh:

Yeah I like diet coke and Pepsi but drink regular sprite, rootbeer, ice tea, and other drinks with sugar. I do try to avoid high Fructose corn syrup though.

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Audio Device(s) KEF LSX II LT speakers + KEF KC62 Subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
I was on a 787 crossing the Atlantic in 2016 I believe it was, the plane went straight down for about 7 or 8 seconds, everyone was screaming. A year or two later that model of plane or its relative the 777 I can't remember honestly, was banned by all governments of the world from flying due to two crashes caused by computer malfunctions. I have a fear of flying to this day, for if I can not trust Boeing, than who can I trust? There are only two companies ffs.

Any advice for me? I never used to have a fear of flying before that incident, but when you feel your life is about to end and everyone is screaming.... its really hard to let that go.

Your flight probably hit some Cumulonimbus cloud when pilots didn't pay attention LOL (or use the wrong weather radar range which can make small cumulonimbus clouds not shown on screen).

I have flown the Boeing 787 since 2015 and the plane is amazing, though there were quite a few software bugs that Boeing had to iron out over the time. I myself experienced the software bug when the autopilots were not doing what they are supposed to do so I just turned off everything and hand fly the dang thing down the runway (yup that why we still need good piloting skills :D)

Last edited:
System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro

I'll submit an entry for that position too: I'm originally from Hungary, did some exchange studies in Finland during my uni years, now living in the UK, and my girlfriend is Lithuanian. :cool:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Your flight probably hit some Cumulonimbus cloud when pilots didn't pay attention LOL (or use the wrong weather radar range which can make small cumulonimbus clouds not shown on screen).

I have flown the Boeing 787 since 2015 and the plane is amazing, though there were quite a few software bugs that Boeing had to iron out over the time. I myself experienced the software bug when the autopilots were not doing what they are supposed to do so I just turned off everything and hand fly the dang thing down the runway (yup that why we still need good piloting skills :D)

dang I wish there was a way to make sure you are my pilot lol

i know you won't let no computer let you die, cause you have experienced OLED + 4090 gaming. you know whats at home waiting for you. other pilots, they have not been to heaven, so they do not know, therefore, are less motivated

this is my logic and I am sticking with it :roll:

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Audio Device(s) KEF LSX II LT speakers + KEF KC62 Subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
dang I wish there was a way to make sure you are my pilot lol

i know you won't let no computer let you die, cause you have experienced OLED + 4090 gaming. you know whats at home waiting for you. other pilots, they have not been to heaven, so they do not know, therefore, are less motivated

this is my logic and I am sticking with it :roll:

Yeah I'm cutting back my flight schedules (I can pass my assigned flight duties to my colleagues) so that I only work ~60 hours a month :roll:, which is barely working, that gives me more time to play games (and other trivial family matters :pimp:)

System Name IZALITH (or just "Lith")
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D (4.2Ghz base 5.0Ghz boost, -30 PBO offset)
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master Rev 1.0
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx AG400 Single Tower
Memory Corsair Vengeance 64GB (2x32GB) 6000MHz CL40 DDR5 XMP (XMP enabled)
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 XTX Red Devil OC 24GB (3.19Ghz boost -40mV UV)
Storage 2x1TB SSD, 2x2TB SSD, 2x 8TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G51C 27" QHD (1440p 165Hz) + Samsung Odyssey G3 24" FHD (1080p 165Hz)
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Corsair HS55 Surround Wired Headset/LG Z407 Speaker Set
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Platinum Modular (1000W)
Mouse Corsair RGB Harpoon PRO Wired Mouse
Keyboard Corsair K60 RGB PRO Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Professional
Well, let me chip in with my experience here. I'm in IT support, 33 years old. I've been doing helpdesk support (starting with internal, then residential and now at a business MSP) for 16 years. I sat in front of my first computer when I was 6 and my family said "well he's doing that for the rest of his life". And they were absolutely right.

I'm not afraid to say that I am very good at my job. At every place I've worked outside of my teens I have been considered the most vital tech in the workshop (usually with the heaviest workload) with the most knowledge and usually one of the best troubleshooting methodologies. I have home-labbed every OS under the sun (including obscure UNIXes for fun) and because of that I have a huge working knowledge of all major OS internals, which often makes me to the go-to guy for whatever niche people run into that they can't solve. I have my weak points of course (networking, sysadmin and higher level stuff) but that's because I haven't had any desire to advance up the chain. I've found my comfortable role and I'm sticking with it.

Outside of doing tech support I'm also responsible for mentoring all new entries into the field, which means I've developed a pretty good knack for teaching. All of the managers I've worked under have said that there is a distinct level of quality difference between techs I train and those trained by others, which I've always worn as a badge of pride. I try to train them to be the best and it seems i'm doing alright so far.

In the last two years I've started stepping away from helpdesk into a backend automation role. I picked up PowerShell as a bit of a hobby in my downtime and work, ended up being quite good with it and because of that my manager developed an "automation coordinator" role for me. Essentially my job is to find out repeat issues the team run into, then come up with an automated solution they can one-click to fix. So far it's going pretty well, I've managed to wrangle our RMM solution into a more acceptable self-healing standard and some of my largest scripts are now core to our workflows.

Finally, education. I have completed high-school, I have a Certificate III in Information Technology (that I was forced to get to say I have SOME sort of cert under my belt) and everything else I've taught myself. I managed to get my foot in the door by immediately working in IT for the high school I graduated from and at this point I can pretty easily get a job anywhere because despite lacking the certs, I have the experience. Unfortunately (from my understanding) IT has a higher barrier for entry these days, I'm to understand you need to have some sort of cert to be considered for most jobs (which is funny because I'm surrounded by university students with degrees, but I tend to know more than them). But i'm always happy to give someone without a cert consideration. My golden rule is: "if you have zero knowledge but a good personality and work ethic, you're in, because I can teach the knowledge".

If I could give advice for people considering IT, it'd be this: it is one of the most mentally stressful careers you can choose. Clients do not understand IT, do not want to understand IT and they certainly do not want to pay for it. But if you do go into IT and you're passionate, you'll never be out of a job. Even when the robots and AI take over, someone will need to maintain them :) And if you have a problem-solving nature, IT is one of the most rewarding careers to satiate that. You are going to run into some of the most obscure, arcane problems humans can come up with and you're going to feel like a rockstar every time you solve one. So do consider it.

Anyway, I hope this gives people something to think about.

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11

Yeah, pretty cool place. I thought the beaches were getting crowded over here until I saw Guarujá close to New Year's Eve, gees I reckon there was 100,000 people on the beach. I was like holy fxxx me.

Good surf too, Muito Legal :cool:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Yeah, pretty cool place. I thought the beaches were getting crowded over here until I saw Guarujá close to New Year's Eve, gees I reckon there was 100,000 people on the beach. I was like holy fxxx me.

Good surf too, Muito Legal :cool:

I wonder how the logistics of that even works, toilets/food/trash, etc. That is wild.

I know in England people were swimming in sewage last year cause of overflooded sewer drains near beaches... too many people heh

Last edited: