• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sid Meier's Civilization VI - New Frontier Pass to Deliver Bimonthly New Content Beginning May 21

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
2K today announced the Sid Meier's Civilization VI - New Frontier Pass, a new season pass that brings eight new civilizations, nine new leaders, six new game modes and more to the critically-acclaimed strategy game. Content will be released in six downloadable (DLC) packs delivered on a bimonthly basis starting May 21, 2020 through March 2021.

"It's been four years since we first announced Civilization VI, and the support from fans and players has been overwhelming," said Ed Beach, franchise lead designer at Firaxis Games. "After two giant expansions in Rise and Fall and Gathering Storm, four years' worth of balance updates and more, Civilization VI has grown into the flagship title for the series."

"We're very excited to be adding even more content to Civilization VI, ensuring longtime players and franchise newcomers have something fresh to look forward to in the months to come," added Anton Strenger, lead game designer at Firaxis Games. "By delivering new content on a regularly scheduled basis, we'll have more opportunities than ever with the New Frontier Pass to connect with our community as we actively develop and deliver content."

The Civilization VI - New Frontier Pass will be available for $39.99 on Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch, Windows PC, Mac and Linux, with mobile platforms arriving later this year. Each individual DLC pack will also be available for individual purchase; the first DLC offering, the Maya & Gran Colombia Pack, will add leaders from each respective civilization, a new Apocalypse game mode, new City-States, Resources and Natural Wonders, and will launch on May 21, 2020.

Anyone who purchases the Civilization VI - New Frontier Pass will receive exclusive bonuses - the Teddy Roosevelt and Catherine De Medici Persona Packs. Each Persona Pack contains a brand-new take on a favorite leader, with a new leader model and background, new gameplay bonuses and an updated agenda that reflects the changes to the leader's personality. "Rough Rider Teddy" excels at keeping the peace on his home continent, while "Magnificence Catherine" can use Luxuries to overwhelm the world with Culture and Tourism. The Persona Packs will be available with the second DLC Pack in July.

As part of the overall content roadmap for Civilization VI, Firaxis will also provide free updates in between DLC packs that feature new maps, scenarios, balance updates and more, available for anyone who owns the game.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Pass is the word, indeed... this is just shameless milking, and without a heavily revamped AI, doesn't look good.

Still have only 30 odd hours clocked in Civ VI (including xpac!), but I can pick up Civ V any time and add another playthrough. VI just isn't quite up there.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
Pass is the word, indeed... this is just shameless milking, and without a heavily revamped AI, doesn't look good.

Still have only 30 odd hours clocked in Civ VI (including xpac!), but I can pick up Civ V any time and add another playthrough. VI just isn't quite up there.

Why is it shameless milking? What are they supposed to make money from, since there are not stupid micro transactions in the game, nor any other means for them to make reoccurring revenue. I don't see a problem with selling expansions, you're not forced to buy them.
Even if you don't buy the new expansions, you'll gain some benefits, as some of the content is free.
I've played well over 500h, as with the two larger expansions they released, the game actually became quite good.
Sure, the AI could be better, but it's not as stupid as it was. I think VI is better than V ever was by now.

System Name Marmo / Kanon
Processor Intel Core i7 9700K / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi / X570S Aorus Pro AX
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S x 2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2666-C16 / 32GB 3200-C16
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX3070 Ti / Asus TUF RX 6800XT OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, 860 EVO 1TB / Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 970 EVO+ 1TB
Display(s) Dell AW2521HFA / U2715H
Case Fractal Design Focus G / Pop Air RGB
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Creative SB ZxR
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus GX 650W / PX 750W
Mouse Logitech MX310 / G1
Keyboard Logitech G413 / G513
Software Win 11 Ent
I actually enjoyed VI as much as V. So new contents (provided the DLCs are reasonably priced) are always welcomed.

As for making the AI more competitive, I simply create some of my own mods with lua to give a few advantages to the computer civs.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Why is it shameless milking? What are they supposed to make money from, since there are not stupid micro transactions in the game, nor any other means for them to make reoccurring revenue. I don't see a problem with selling expansions, you're not forced to buy them.
Even if you don't buy the new expansions, you'll gain some benefits, as some of the content is free.
I've played well over 500h, as with the two larger expansions they released, the game actually became quite good.
Sure, the AI could be better, but it's not as stupid as it was. I think VI is better than V ever was by now.

Look at the content. 40 bucks for what, some civilization perks (literally a bunch of settings and a portrait...) and a wealth of totally vague nonsense - of which half is... well it could be anything because its not even specified.

I happily paid for the previous expansions, but this? This is FOMO inducing crap. Is this really what you expect for post launch content? This is just MTX rolled up into a bigger pack. In a way, everyone pays for the 'free updates' because now your purchase is no longer complete. That is fine when the content added is truly worth it... which is questionable here. They did make sure you miss out on new districts and infrastructure as well if you're not buying in ;)

Last edited:

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Look at the content. 40 bucks for what, some civilization perks (literally a bunch of settings and a portrait...) and a wealth of totally vague nonsense - of which half is... well it could be anything because its not even specified.

I happily paid for the previous expansions, but this? This is FOMO inducing crap. Is this really what you expect for post launch content? This is just MTX rolled up into a bigger pack. In a way, everyone pays for the 'free updates' because now your purchase is no longer complete. That is fine when the content added is truly worth it... which is questionable here. They did make sure you miss out on new districts and infrastructure as well if you're not buying in ;)
How do you know these expansions are $40? None of the other ones have been that expensive.
Normally these smaller expansions are $14.99 or something like that, less if it's only a new civilization. Give a couple of months and they're $4.99 or $19.99 for the lot as a bundle. On top of that, it seems like this might be a "pass" so one price for the lot of them, if you read the fine print.

Again, are you forced to buy any of it?

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
How do you know these expansions are $40? None of the other ones have been that expensive.
Normally these smaller expansions are $14.99 or something like that, less if it's only a new civilization. Give a couple of months and they're $4.99 or $19.99 for the lot as a bundle. On top of that, it seems like this might be a "pass" so one price for the lot of them, if you read the fine print.

Again, are you forced to buy any of it?

The Civilization VI - New Frontier Pass will be available for $39.99 >> its in the article.

No not forced at all and certainly not going to. But this is not somehow better than an MTX driven shop, if you dissect what's on offer. And the FOMO is a real thing, its not nice never having a feature complete product in your hands. Just the Civs would be fine! But new district and infrastructure is core to the game, it says non optional in a big way.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
The Civilization VI - New Frontier Pass will be available for $39.99 >> its in the article.

No not forced at all and certainly not going to. But this is not somehow better than an MTX driven shop, if you dissect what's on offer. And the FOMO is a real thing, its not nice never having a feature complete product in your hands. Just the Civs would be fine! But new district and infrastructure is core to the game, it says non optional in a big way.

:oops: :rolleyes: :wtf::shadedshu: Yeah, I'm blind... That is a bit steep indeed for this. $29.99 is more reasonable for what it is, since it's not a full expansion...
Going to hold off on this one until it's discounted, as I bought most of the other expansions and the game at full price.

Sure, it's not nice, but if you don't know what they are, they won't really affect you, no? Anyhow, each to their own, I'm not going to cry over it.

Last edited:
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
:oops: :rolleyes: :wtf::shadedshu: Yeah, I'm blind... That is a bit steep indeed for this. $29.99 is more reasonable for what it is, since it's not a full expansion...
Going to hold off on this one until it's discounted, as I bought most of the other expansions and the game at full price.

Sure, it's not nice, but if you don't know what they are, they won't really affect you, no? Anyhow, each to their own, I'm not going to cry over it.

Its a similar trend as what you see with for example Stellaris. Core mechanics get tweaked towards favoring the new content. You not knowing is a form of 'ignorance is bliss' but you aren't playing the same game with the same balance anymore. This method is also huge in MMO land, with tiered progress which is in fact more of the same. Keep up, or fall behind.

There are many ways to go about it, this is not the best one IMO. Total War Warhammer did a fantastic job at mixing patch and game system updates as free content, with paid content in the shape of new factions. The factions are in the game for everyone, but you can't select them yourself until you own the DLC. Meanwhile, ALL factions get periodic updates for free to keep them actual to changing mechanics.

Devil is, as always, in the details here. We did cry wolf about Pay To Win, but this is really just that same wolf in sheeps' clothing... so, I cry about it. To raise awareness :)

System Name Marmo / Kanon
Processor Intel Core i7 9700K / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi / X570S Aorus Pro AX
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S x 2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2666-C16 / 32GB 3200-C16
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX3070 Ti / Asus TUF RX 6800XT OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, 860 EVO 1TB / Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 970 EVO+ 1TB
Display(s) Dell AW2521HFA / U2715H
Case Fractal Design Focus G / Pop Air RGB
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Creative SB ZxR
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus GX 650W / PX 750W
Mouse Logitech MX310 / G1
Keyboard Logitech G413 / G513
Software Win 11 Ent
$40 is a ridiculous price. I'll wait for the next sales.