• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Reflex Feature Detailed, Vastly Reduce Input Latency, Measure End-to-End System Latency

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
NVIDIA Reflex is a new innovation designed to minimize input latency with competitive e-sports games. When it comes out later this month with patches to popular e-sports titles such as Fortnite, Apex Legends, and Valorant, along with a GeForce driver update, the feature could improve input latencies even without any specialized hardware. Input latency is defined as the time it takes for a user input (such as a mouse click) in a game, to reflect as output on the screen, or the time it takes for your mouse click to register as a gunshot in an online shooter, and appear on-screen. The feature is compatible with any NVIDIA GeForce GPU, GTX 900 series or later.

NVIDIA briefly detailed how this works. On the software side, the NVIDIA driver co-operates with a compatible game engine to optimize the game's 3D rendering pipeline. This is accomplished by dynamically reducing the rendering queue, so fewer frames are queued up for the GPU to render. NVIDIA claims that the technology can also keep the GPU perfectly in sync with the CPU (1:1 render queue), reducing the "back-pressure" on the GPU, letting the game sample mouse input at the last possible moment. NVIDIA is releasing Reflex to gamers as GeForce driver updates, and to game developers as the Reflex SDK. This allows them to integrate the technology with their game engine, providing a toggle for the technology, and also put out in-game performance metrics.

Speaking of metrics, NVIDIA innovated Reflex as a hardware feature for its new G-SYNC 360 Hz IPS gaming display standard. Popular display manufacturers such as Acer, ASUS, MSI, GIGABYTE, ViewSonic, etc., are developing new monitors that feature the G-SYNC 360 feature logo. These monitors feature G-SYNC hardware, as well as a hardware-side implementation of Reflex, called Reflex Latency Analyzer, that lets you precisely measure input latency and optimize the software-side further. It's important to note here, that these new monitors are not a requirement to use Reflex, and anyone with a compatible graphics card and updated drivers can use it on compatible games.

In G-SYNC 360 Hz IPS gaming displays, you will find a 2-port USB hub, in the display. You plug this hub to your PC via an included USB cable, and plug in your gaming mouse to one of the two downstream USB ports of the monitor. This can't be just any mouse, but an NVIDIA-certified mouse. ASUS, Razer, and Logitech are developing these mice. With the mouse plugged in, you launch the Reflex Latency Analyzer utility from the monitor's OSD settings, and run the game with the Reflex metrics toggle enabled.

This way this works is, each time you click on the mouse, the click is registered in the USB hub of the monitor, which then measures the time it takes for the "output" gun flash pixels to appear on the screen. You can train the utility to look for where the gun flash pixels appear. This way, you get extremely accurate measurements of not just input latency, but also end-to-end system latency. Something like this required high-speed cameras and manual math to calculate in the past. Input latencies, coupled with end-to-end latency data, can be viewed from the Performance Metrics screen in the GeForce Experience overlay, when spawned in a compatible game.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI)
Cooling Corsair iCUE H115i Elite Capellix 280mm
Memory 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3600Mhz CL18
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3070 Ti TUF Gaming OC Edition
Storage Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF
Case Corsair iCUE 4000X
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D2X
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Platinum
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 - Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K70 MK.2 Low-Profile Rapidfire
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro (64-bit)
I am really excited about this feature, I really need that near-instant connected feel or I get annoyed by the delays. I can feel any input lag with immediate effect, wither it is the mouse, the keyboard, monitor, audio, or whatever. I can't wait to test this out and see if vastly improves the user experience. I always cry about DPC latency. :)

The RTX3070 seems to be the one to get for me, depending on the availability of course. I think this is the first time in a while that nVidia has offered significant advancements to justify an upgrade, good job nVidia. That being said, I am also keen to see what the AMD camp has to offer. :D

Exciting times.

So it needs a bunch of new, certainly expensive hardware and explicit support in game engine. Yeah, sounded too good to be true.

System Name maipc
Processor 4790k @ 4.4Ghz / 1.16v
Motherboard Asus vii hero
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2x8GB) Hyperx fury 1866 / CL10
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming X 8GB
Storage 1TB 860EVO + 1TB 860EVO + 4TB WD Red + 4TB WD Red
Display(s) Asus VG259QM (1080p IPS 240Hz)
Case Cooler Master Centurion 6
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-650
Mouse Logitech G Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Wooting 60HE
Software Win 10 64bit
Everyone with a GTX 900 series or later should be able to use this as long as the game is compatible.
The certified monitor and mouse is only needed if you want to be able to measure the latency.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
So it needs a bunch of new, certainly expensive hardware and explicit support in game engine. Yeah, sounded too good to be true.
Yeah not good, their competition has anti lag that Just works, on everything without fanfare.
Still waiting on reviews, I trust Nvidia's speal about as much as Boris on Brexit.

System Name Main / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X / Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard Strix B550i / B450i Aorus Pro
Cooling Lian-Li Galahad 360 / Wraith Spire
Memory Corsair LPX 2x16 3600MHz / HyperX Predator 2x8GB 3200MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 FE / ARC A380
Storage WD Black SN770 1TB / Sabrent Rocket 256GB
Display(s) Acer Z301c / 39" Panasonic HDTV
Case Corsair 2000D / Cougar QBX
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V379 / Realtek ALC1220
Power Supply Corsair SF600 / BeQuiet SFX Power 2 450W
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Drop Sense75 with WQ Studio Morandi's
VR HMD Rift S
Software Win 11 Pro 64Bit
No it doesn't, its only needed if you want to measure the latency, you can use your normal peripherals, as long as the game engine supports the feature.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
Processor 10900k
Motherboard Asus Z490-G
Memory Corsair 4x8GB 3600mhz CL18
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Storage Intel 660P 2TB
Case Sliger Cerberus
Power Supply Silverstone NJ450
Mouse Logitech G703 Wireless
I feel like over the last decade or two, input latency has taken a back seat when it's actually a pretty important performance metric. There have been games I've been put off because of poor input latency (though I do realise I'm a minority here). I'm just glad there seems to be more attention on the subject now.

Yeah not good, their competition has anti lag that Just works, on everything without fanfare.
Still waiting on reviews, I trust Nvidia's speakl about as much as Boris on Brexit.

By that metric, it would appear that Boris is right then since G-Sync has always had inherently lower lag times.

"... by removing the traditional scaler [that AMD uses] it does seem that all hardware G-sync module screens have basically no input lag. We have yet to test a G-sync screen that showed any meaningful lag, which is a great positive when it comes to gaming. "

"As there is no hardware G-sync module added to the screen [with Freesync] , a normal scaler chip is used and this can in some cases result in additional input lag. You will still find plenty of FreeSync screens with low lag, but you will need to check third party tests such as our reviews to be sure. It's not as simple as with G-sync screens where the presence of that hardware module basically guarantees there will be no real input lag. With FreeSync screens we are more reliant on the manufacturer focusing in reducing lag than on G-sync screens. "

"We would hope that more manufacturers of Adaptive-sync/FreeSync screens invest in developing solid VRR implementations to ensure certification under the G-sync Compatible scheme, which will give consumers more faith in the performance of their models. They should also focus on ensuring that lag is low and additional features like blur reduction backlights are considered and included where possible. "

"We expect many of the cutting edge gaming screens to appear with traditional G-sync module inclusion before FreeSync alternatives are available, including the latest and greatest high refresh rates. That is part of the market where the G-sync module seems to have a firm grasp right now. Usage of the G-sync v2 module also seems to be a requirement so far for delivering the top-end HDR experience in the monitor market, with all current FALD Backlight models featuring this chip "

G-Sync is also more expensive due to the dedicated hardware it employs, you'd expect with the premium price it definitely should work better no?

Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
By that metric, it would appear that Boris is right then since G-Sync has always had inherently lower lag times.

"... by removing the traditional scaler [that AMD uses] it does seem that all hardware G-sync module screens have basically no input lag. We have yet to test a G-sync screen that showed any meaningful lag, which is a great positive when it comes to gaming. "

"As there is no hardware G-sync module added to the screen [with Freesync] , a normal scaler chip is used and this can in some cases result in additional input lag. You will still find plenty of FreeSync screens with low lag, but you will need to check third party tests such as our reviews to be sure. It's not as simple as with G-sync screens where the presence of that hardware module basically guarantees there will be no real input lag. With FreeSync screens we are more reliant on the manufacturer focusing in reducing lag than on G-sync screens. "

"We would hope that more manufacturers of Adaptive-sync/FreeSync screens invest in developing solid VRR implementations to ensure certification under the G-sync Compatible scheme, which will give consumers more faith in the performance of their models. They should also focus on ensuring that lag is low and additional features like blur reduction backlights are considered and included where possible. "

"We expect many of the cutting edge gaming screens to appear with traditional G-sync module inclusion before FreeSync alternatives are available, including the latest and greatest high refresh rates. That is part of the market where the G-sync module seems to have a firm grasp right now. Usage of the G-sync v2 module also seems to be a requirement so far for delivering the top-end HDR experience in the monitor market, with all current FALD Backlight models featuring this chip "
So I was talking about Nvidia Reflex , I didn't use half as many word's as you and didn't mention Gsync , I'll strike it off as a miss quote.
Because all of that's irrelevant to my opinion.

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name Titan
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I Gaming WiFi
Cooling ID-COOLING SE-207-XT Slim Snow
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 2x16GB DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB GDDR6 (MBA)
Storage 2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVMe
Display(s) AOpen Fire Legend 24" (25XV2Q), Dough Spectrum One 27" (Glossy), LG C4 42" (OLED42C4PUA)
Case ASUS Prime AP201 33L White
Audio Device(s) Kanto Audio YU2 and SUB8 Desktop Speakers and Subwoofer, Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Logitech Pro Superlight (White), G303 Shroud Edition
Keyboard Wooting 60HE / NuPhy Air75 v2
VR HMD Occulus Quest 2 128GB
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit 23H2 Build 22631.3447
Still waiting on reviews, I trust Nvidia's speal about as much as Boris on Brexit.

Its only good between 60 to 100 FPS though. Above that its best to disable RAL. So its a good advantage for 5500 XT and 5600 XT users.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Its only good between 60 to 100 FPS though. Above that its best to disable RAL. So its a good advantage for 5500 XT and 5600 XT users.
And 4K 60 users who are definitely not going beyond 100fps.

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name Titan
Display(s) AOpen Fire Legend 24" (25XV2Q), Dough Spectrum One 27" (Glossy), LG C4 42" (OLED42C4PUA)
Audio Device(s) Kanto Audio YU2 and SUB8 Desktop Speakers and Subwoofer, Cloud Alpha Wireless
And 4K 60 users who are definitely not going beyond 100fps.

I don't have a 4K monitor yet, but at that resolution I would not use RAL since you'll have low minimum FPS anyway. This may work with some older competitive titles like CS:GO or Quake Live or a MOBA/RTS.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
I don't have a 4K monitor yet, but at that resolution I would not use RAL since you'll have low minimum FPS anyway. This may work with some older competitive titles like CS:GO or Quake Live or a MOBA/RTS.
It's not important how I or you use it, I am waiting on reviews before debating at length though I was not calling the feature bad anyway, like many. ! features! I will read a few reviews get a feel for it and if I would use it.

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name Titan
It's not important how I or you use it, I am waiting on reviews before debating at length though I was not calling the feature bad anyway, like many. ! features! I will read a few reviews get a feel for it and if I would use it.

:confused:

I used to use RAL for PUBG and VALORANT and to be honest it really doesn't make any noticeable difference when your frame rate is beyond 100 FPS. I would probably say the same for this Reflex thing as it seems to be the second generation of their own "just in time" frame scheduling that they implemented last year (I never used this when I had my previous 2080 Super).

EDIT: Now that I think about it, this might be good for Flight Simulator 2020 or other heavy games. Reduced input lag in simulations does sound quite nice.