• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

India Next in Line With Incentives for Chip Makers

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
Over the past couple of months there have been a lot of calls for more investment into the semiconductor industry due to the current shortage of many different kinds of semiconductors. As we've seen, several government organizations have already started working on how to woo chip makers to their part of the world and the latest nation to join the fray is India.

Unlike the US and the EU where so far no firm budgets have been approved, India has already approved a US$10 billion incentive plan for semiconductor, as well as display panel manufacturers who are willing to consider India as the next location for their new fabs. According to Reuters, the Indian government is said to cover up to 50 percent of the project cost of new semiconductor and display panel fabs. So far it seems like at least three companies are interested in the scheme for semiconductor manufacturing, namely Tower Semiconductor out of Israel, Foxconn and an unnamed Singaporean consortium.

The Indian government is hoping that the investments will create some 35,000 direct jobs for highly qualified staff, plus up to another 100,000 indirect jobs. India is lagging behind when it comes to the semiconductor industry, despite there being a growing local semiconductor designs, most of them can't be produced locally due to lack of suitable foundry partners. It's unlikely that we'll see a huge shift here, unless there's local interest in starting a foundry that manufactures for Indian companies in India. That said, if India can manage to win over some foreign companies that will set up foundries locally, this is a means to further local know-how in semiconductor manufacturing, which could lead to local foundries in the future, even though it might not happen in the near future.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

The main takeaway is that capitalism is only for well established markets at their current levels. Expanding or creating markets seems to require public tax money or so these large very profitable businesses would have you believe.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
I'm not 100% sure this will result in cutting-edge semiconductor fabrication, but it will at least make India a major source of low-tech stuff like electrical SMDs, bare PCBs, placing, or even chip-packaging. One could even consider display panels "low-tech."

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
The main takeaway is that capitalism is only for well established markets at their current levels. Expanding or creating markets seems to require public tax money or so these large very profitable businesses would have you believe.
Well, it's expensive to build a semiconductor fab, so if they can get a government to give them money, why not? I mean, better value for them and their shareholders...
I guess the argument is that they're providing jobs, so the government should help them out.

I'm not 100% sure this will result in cutting-edge semiconductor fabrication, but it will at least make India a major source of low-tech stuff like electrical SMDs, bare PCBs, placing, or even chip-packaging. One could even consider display panels "low-tech."
Well, I think you're a bit too conservative here, as it looks like the companies that are interested are making things like MEMS, RFCMOS and CMOS image sensors, which is still cutting edge in their specific market segment and a lot more cutting edge than what you're mentioning.
As far as I've managed to find out, the most advanced foundry in India is at 150nm, which is very far from the cutting edge and more in line what you mentioned.
At least Tower Semiconductor is at 45nm or possibly smaller nodes.

Well, it's expensive to build a semiconductor fab, so if they can get a government to give them money, why not? I mean, better value for them and their shareholders...
I guess the argument is that they're providing jobs, so the government should help them out.

Well, I think you're a bit too conservative here, as it looks like the companies that are interested are making things like MEMS, RFCMOS and CMOS image sensors, which is still cutting edge in their specific market segment and a lot more cutting edge than what you're mentioning.
As far as I've managed to find out, the most advanced foundry in India is at 150nm, which is very far from the cutting edge and more in line what you mentioned.
At least Tower Semiconductor is at 45nm or possibly smaller nodes.
I would agree with you on the government part if rich naysayers inside and outside government were not constantly campaigning / lobbying on reducing their tax burden on the one hand but then asking for a government bailout / handouts on the other. The law of diminishing returns will eventually kick in when the poor and middle class are left with 100% of the tax burden while their salaries are constantly behind inflation and prices keep rising.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I would agree with you on the government part if rich naysayers inside and outside government were not constantly campaigning / lobbying on reducing their tax burden on the one hand but then asking for a government bailout / handouts on the other. The law of diminishing returns will eventually kick in when the poor and middle class are left with 100% of the tax burden while their salaries are constantly behind inflation and prices keep rising.
Sorry, I guess my sarcasm didn't quite come across...

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
I think the lesson here is that if you want chip makers to expand to your country as opposed to others, you need to give them incentive to do so, because otherwise they will go where it is cheaper. Capitalism 101 right there.

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Motherboard Asus Z690-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi D5
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm AIO
Memory PNY MAKO DDR5-6000 C36-36-36-76
Video Card(s) PowerColor Hellhound 6700 XT 12GB
Storage WD SN770 512GB m.2, Samsung 980 Pro m.2 2TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440p / 34" MSI MAG341CQ 3440x1440
Case Montech Air X
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 25
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Lots

Has nothing to do with current advancements being too expensive.

Both Taiwan and China have in the past and still do support their fab industries with their tax dollars. TSMC and UMC were both started by Taiwan's government. Can't expect capitalist companies to compete against entities that are supported by entire nations.

I think the lesson here is that if you want chip makers to expand to your country as opposed to others, you need to give them incentive to do so, because otherwise they will go where it is cheaper. Capitalism 101 right there.

Always has been, this is nothing new and not exclusive to semi conductors, like at all

Processor Intel Core i5 8400
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370N-Wifi
Cooling Silverstone AR05
Memory Micron Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming 8G
Storage Micron Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) Dell U2415
Case Silverstone RVZ02B
Power Supply Silverstone SSR-SX550
Keyboard Ducky One Red Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro 1909
gogogo more chips for everyone
1639700812095.jpeg

The job creation part is where they get governments. Pretty hard for any government to reject that side of the argument.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Are they going to outsource to an American call centre? :roll:

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
The job creation part is where they get governments. Pretty hard for any government to reject that side of the argument.
Well, in this case it's clearly something the Indian government is betting pretty hard on as well.

peja

India have failed before during 90 era. Until they fix their power and water utility no chipmaker will stay. India have talent but bad government

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Motherboard Asus Z690-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi D5
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm AIO
Memory PNY MAKO DDR5-6000 C36-36-36-76
Video Card(s) PowerColor Hellhound 6700 XT 12GB
Storage WD SN770 512GB m.2, Samsung 980 Pro m.2 2TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440p / 34" MSI MAG341CQ 3440x1440
Case Montech Air X
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 25
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Lots
India have failed before during 90 era. Until they fix their power and water utility no chipmaker will stay. India have talent but bad government

Horse before the cart. They'd be better off starting with discrete components - transistors / capacitors / resistors and PCB assembly. India's manufacturing output has also faltered since reaching a high point as % of GDP in 2010 and high in nominal value in 2018. Maybe this is also because of what you say.