• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Files Complaint Against Realtek, TCL for Graphics Patent Infringement

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
AMD and ATI Technologies ULC have filed a complaint with the United States International Trade Commission (USITC) against Realtek Semiconductor and TCL Industries holdings. The complaint lists five patent infringements from both companies, mostly related to graphics technologies such as texture decompression, a unified shader approach to graphics architectures, a multi-threaded graphics processing system, as well as methods to synchronize thread wavefront data and events and a patent covering a processing unit for asynchronous dispatch.

According to AMD, both companies integrated solutions based on AMD's intellectual property without appropriate, prior licensing. The USITC has already come forward with an investigation announcement towards a number of Realtek and TCL-designed products, including graphics systems, digital televisions, and assorted components, found in some products shipped and sold in the U.S. market. The lawsuit aims for an exclusion order and cease and desist on sales of affected products.

This isn't AMD's first rodeo related to graphics technologies litigation, as the company has previously received a settlement from a number of manufacturers (including LG, MediaTek, and Visio) on a similar patent infringement lawsuit.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

• Wow
Reactions: aQi
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
So.... in other words: All this stuff are belong to us, and you can't have any !

Well, at least not without writing us a massive check anyways, hehehe :)

Always pisses me off when I read about these types of lawsuits, 'cause the only people who actually benefit from them are the friggin greed-mongering, blood-suckin lawyers....

Processor Ryzen 5600X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Software Win11
AMD will not avoid anyone to license their IP, wich costed itself R&D obviously.
Speculating in how much such licensing costs is useless, unless the price is so high that it would securely lead to a no-deal.
And that does not sound like AMD being anykind of patent-troll IMHO

cheers

So.... in other words: All this stuff are belong to us, and you can't have any !

Always pisses me off when I read about these types of lawsuits, 'cause the only people who actually benefit from them are the friggin greed-mongering, blood-suckin lawyers....
You’re thinking about patent trolls. In this case, the IP is used in real products sold in real markets. The IP was developed and paid for by a real company. IMHO, this is the correct use of patent litigation. The fact that lawyers are used is just the way the judicial branch works. We wouldn’t want Lisa Su or any competent engineers wasting their time on this.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Does this mean AMD walked out on settling this out of court? I bet they did. Now you gotta ask if this was a flagrant foul or not.

These kind of lawsuits do suck, it's a fine line between protecting your R&D investments and curtailing technological progress by putting intellectual property behind a wall of 'legalese' where people can't use it.

But Realtek are a sketchy as hell company, so I'm conflicted... Almost every issue I have had with my current computers and their drivers are almost exclusively down to Realtek components. It's impossible to find drivers for their hardware, yet they are EVERYWHERE. Their tech is in routers, motherboards, wifi devices, bluetooth devices... everywhere! and they almost always seem to be built in a way that looks to me like they have cut every corner imaginable to reduce costs and maximise profit at the expense of creating reliable components, you just need to take a look at this blog post to get an idea of the scale of the problem with Realtek : https://overengineer.dev/blog/2021/04/25/usb-c-hub-madness.html

Then go look at their 'website' and try to find anything actually useful to a consumer (the site is absolutely atrocious, it feels similar to scam sites with just enough content and presence to fake looking legit) : https://www.realtek.com/en

Realtek is a bargain basement dumpster fire of a company mass producing shitty components at unprecedented scale that are destined for eWaste sooner than they should be, but lots of companies use them because their probably the cheapest parts to source. The sooner they get shoved out the market the better, or at least forced to up their standards.

These kind of lawsuits do suck, it's a fine line between protecting your R&D investments and curtailing technological progress by putting intellectual property behind a wall of 'legalese' where people can't use it.

Well with a patent they have 2 options,

Design it yourself, from scratch, in a different way rather then infriding that patent, or

License the IP from AMD and have permission to create products and sell it commercially on the market.

If there where no patents anyone even striving forward in terms of tech advancements would be copied all over the place.

Best example to this day is AMD comes up with infinity cache. Whipes nvidia with far less resources. Nvidia simply increases L2 cache on it's next generation of GPU's to tackle AMD's advantage. No breach in patents, just a workaround.

The New England region of the United States
System Name Daily Driver(gaming, browsing)
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aurus Pro Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
Memory 32GB(2x16GB) Patriot Viper DDR4-3200C16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Boot/OS)|Hynix Platinum P41 2TB (Games)|Kingston KC3000 2TB (Misc)
Display(s) Gigabyte G27F
Case Corsair Graphite 600T w/mesh side
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 2.1 | cheapo gaming headset when mic is needed
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Redragon M808-KS Storm Pro (Great Value)
Keyboard Redragon K512 Shiva replaced a Corsair K70 Lux - Blue on Black
VR HMD Nope
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Nope
I'm very conflicted on this one. While I feel that companies have a right to protect their inventions and make a profit from them. I also feel like the patent system takes things too far in this day and age. Back when it took twenty years to get a technology into homes, the patent system we have now makes sense. Now it seems outdated and wrong. Creating environments where companies cannot compete. Resulting in monopolies and duopolies that stifle the market and innovation. I think AMD has probably recovered what they invested inventing these technologies and made a handsome profit already. How long should the inventor of a technology hold that technology hostage? What is fair? I'm not sure, nor am I making any claims that AMD didn't offer fair licensing terms. It just seems this sort of headline is too common, and God knows there is almost no competition outside a handful of mega corporations.

You’re thinking about patent trolls. In this case, the IP is used in real products sold in real markets. The IP was developed and paid for by a real company. IMHO, this is the correct use of patent litigation. The fact that lawyers are used is just the way the judicial branch works. We wouldn’t want Lisa Su or any competent engineers wasting their time on this.
And this isn't some broad patent BS a lá Apple and their round corners. This time AMD has spent significant resources on R&D.

And all this comes from me, a person advocating free and open knowledge sharing. Ironic, huh?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
AMD put a lot of money into developing their GPU technologies. They have a complete right to ask for products that violate their patents to be blocked from being imported into the USA.

just fyi, AMD is HQ'd in California. it already is an American company.

System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard asus Z590TUF+wifi
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory ballistix 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) eVga 3060 xc
Storage WD sn570 1tb(nvme) SanDisk ultra 2tb(sata)
Display(s) cheap 1080&4K 60hz
Case Roswell Stryker
Power Supply eVGA supernova 750 G6
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21765182 https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1114767
for the curious on mobile, i'll just leave these (that i got from thg) here:

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
These days you literally cannot make a gpu w/o stepping on either Nvidia or AMD patents so you're forced to license. And this is where the two companies in question didn't give a F about it.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
These days you literally cannot make a gpu w/o stepping on either Nvidia or AMD patents so you're forced to license. And this is where the two companies in question didn't give a F about it.
Intel, Imagination technology, Arm, Open GPU, they're are more I'm sure, you don't have to pay those two.
You could design your own, pay a license, or just cheat and save money.

It's clear which path was taken.

Though I do agree patents are often a play on words that vaguely describe a thing, and something needs to be done.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Intel, Imagination technology, Arm, Open GPU, they're are more I'm sure, you don't have to pay those two.

Though I do agree patents are often a play on words that vaguely describe a thing, and something needs to be done.
Actually Intel struck a deal with AMD in 2016. Previously they were with Nvidia.

Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Actually Intel struck a deal with AMD in 2016. Previously they were with Nvidia.
That's not getting rid of all the options down to two though yet.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64

But Realtek are a sketchy as hell company, so I'm conflicted... Almost every issue I have had with my current computers and their drivers are almost exclusively down to Realtek components. It's impossible to find drivers for their hardware, yet they are EVERYWHERE. Their tech is in routers, motherboards, wifi devices, bluetooth devices... everywhere! and they almost always seem to be built in a way that looks to me like they have cut every corner imaginable to reduce costs and maximise profit at the expense of creating reliable components, you just need to take a look at this blog post to get an idea of the scale of the problem with Realtek : https://overengineer.dev/blog/2021/04/25/usb-c-hub-madness.html

Then go look at their 'website' and try to find anything actually useful to a consumer (the site is absolutely atrocious, it feels similar to scam sites with just enough content and presence to fake looking legit) : https://www.realtek.com/en

Realtek is a bargain basement dumpster fire of a company mass producing shitty components at unprecedented scale that are destined for eWaste sooner than they should be, but lots of companies use them because their probably the cheapest parts to source. The sooner they get shoved out the market the better, or at least forced to up their standards.
Tcl is chinesium

AMD put a lot of money into developing their GPU technologies. They have a complete right to ask for products that violate their patents to be blocked from being imported into the USA.

Before AMD it was ATi, they have been around over 30 years (GPU division)

There was also Hercules

And we all see what intel have to offer in terms of GPU, no?

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
And we all see what intel have to offer in terms of GPU, no?
What do you mean, they're smashing it, they get more PR pages out then Any other GPU maker, and are burning through generations like no one else.

What you want to buy one, me too , I like unicorn's, what , , ,what.:p

Last edited:
System Name Aryzen / Sairikiki / Tesseract
Processor 5800x / i7 920@3.73 / 5800x
Motherboard Steel Legend B450M / GB EX58-UDP4 / Steel Legend B550M
Cooling Mugen 5 / Pure Rock / Glacier One 240
Memory Corsair Something 16 / Corsair Something 12 / G.Skill 32
Video Card(s) AMD 6800XT / AMD 6750XT / Sapphire 7800XT
Storage Way too many drives...
Display(s) LG 332GP850-B / Sony w800b / Sony X90J
Case EVOLV X / Carbide 540 / Carbide 280x
Audio Device(s) SB ZxR + GSP 500 / board / Denon X1700h + ELAC Uni-Fi 2 + Senn 6XX
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME GX-750 / Corsair HX750 / Seasonic Focus PX-650
Mouse G700 / none / G602
Keyboard G910
Software w11 64
Benchmark Scores I don't play benchmarks...
TCL infringing on IP? Not too surprising...

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64