• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hell on the Horizon: Blizzard Entertainment's Diablo IV Coming in 2023

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
Blizzard Entertainment announced today that Diablo IV, the next generation installment in the genre-defining series, is debuting in 2023. Blizzard also announced that Diablo IV is coming to Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5, alongside versions for Windows PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4, with cross-play and cross-progression enabled for all platforms. Inside Sanctuary—a realm long embattled by the devastating wars between the High Heavens and the Burning Hells—decades have passed since the events of Diablo III: Reaper of Souls, but the world remains plagued by a sinister, corrupting force. And now Lilith, the Daughter of Hatred, has been reborn in the mortal world and is determined to rule over Sanctuary once more.

Joining the battle alongside iconic classes Barbarian, Sorceress, Rogue, and Druid is the legendary Necromancer, the fifth playable character class, which returns with newly designed undead mechanics. Players will be able to utilize the Necromancer's Book of the Dead, an all-new ability for the class, allowing them to dominate the battlefield with deeper customization of their undead army than ever before. Fight with aggressive skeleton Warriors, fast-attacking Skirmishers, sword and board Defenders, or scythe-wielding Reapers. Unleash a litany of spells with Skeleton Mages, imbuing them with shadow, cold, and sacrificial magics. Deploy tanking Bone Golems, health-stealing Blood Golems, and charging Iron Golems. Or sacrifice them all to absorb their power.

"We can't wait to open the gates of Hell next year—the talented team behind Diablo IV puts gameplay first in everything they do, and they have built the biggest and most ambitious vision of Sanctuary yet," said Mike Ybarra, president of Blizzard Entertainment. "This sprawling world draws deeply from the dark well of the franchise's 25-year history and is designed around the philosophy of player choice, offering an adventure unlike anything Diablo players have experienced before."

Diablo IV's version of Sanctuary is massive, and every inch is rife with opportunity for adventure. Character customization in the game is richer and more extensive than ever, and players will be able to let their curiosity (and perhaps foolishness) guide them through over 140 dungeons and dozens of side quests in their pursuit of victory over Lilith's forces... and ever-more-powerful gear. Mighty world bosses pose added challenge throughout Sanctuary, encouraging players to team up with others they encounter on their journeys to defeat them and reap their treasures. And for the first time, players can forever alter the world around them by conquering and converting corrupted Strongholds into friendly outposts.

There's no golden path to follow in Diablo IV; players can choose to progress in whatever nonlinear way they want to. This open-ended experience extends to the end game, where players can test their skills in Nightmare Dungeons, enjoy combative mayhem in dedicated PvP zones, build Paragon Boards to continue advancing and customizing their characters beyond max level, and engage with the Tree of Whispers to unlock further world objectives and bounties and acquire Legendary gear.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

One of my favourite game series, let's hope Blizzard deliver.
Interesting the Xbox-SX "promo hint", but is coming to PlayStation also, I'm really curious to see if we are going to have any "accidental" performance differences and if we are going to have any Xbox advantage like time limited exclusivity or DLC differences etc (probably not, i don't know the contracts between Sony-Activition)

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
One of my favourite game series, let's hope Blizzard deliver.

They'll deliver alright... predatory microtransactions and lootboxes at every level to turn you players in to payers :laugh:

grind hard till you hit the paywall squad. :roll:

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
Don't forget to be ready for the servers being completely down for the first 3-4 days just like with the release of Diablo 2: resurrected.... For some reason Blizzard can't forsee the need for massive server space when they release an extremely popular game across three different platforms simultaneously.... It's bad enough the "people" with seemingly no jobs and no responsibilities to attend to other than Diablo ruin the ladder by reaching level 95 in the first two days.

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i5-12600KF 'stock power limits/-115mV undervolt+contact frame'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/@950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
They'll deliver alright... predatory microtransactions and lootboxes at every level to turn you players in to payers :laugh:

grind hard till you hit the paywall squad. :roll:

For now this is the official standpoint regarding that:

Adam Fletcher / Global Community Lead for @Diablo at @Blizzard_Ent

"D4 is coming out as a full price game built strictly for PC/console audiences. The game is huge & there will be tons of content after launch for all players. Paid content is built around optional cosmetic items & eventually full expansions. We will be sharing more info soon!"

So I will hold my horses and wait for the game's relase before going for my pitchfork, yeah I know Immortal left a bad taste in many ppl's mouth but that game was designed as a mobile game from the get go while D4 wasnt so lets wait and see..

Personally I'm interested since I grew up on this serie, as long as it only has cosmetic stuff to buy then I don't care and will play/buy it regardless.

mazzilla

Its a matter of trust and the trust level in Blizzard has been damaged over and over again with the crowning glory with the turd that is Diablo Immortal. If morons want to spend thousands on that thing, enjoy. I appreicate that its a mobile game, but even so, its a cynical cash grab no matter what platform its on.

I am not going to pay full price for a game that has even the slightest hint of P2W. Cosmetic junk that I have no interest in is fine and I dont mind paying for DLC, RoS was a fine expansion and wasnt that expensive. Anything else, no. I have the original, D2 and have been playing D3 since its release and I am rubbish at it but somehow I managed to get to paragon 936 this season and I dont know how!! My previous highest was the lofty heights of around paragon 200.

Back to D4, they will have to show the community that P2W is no where in this or it will be another damaging episode in the Blizzard story and damage their reputation even more. They have a lot of hard work ahead to regain some sort of trust with gamers who have invested countless hours with the previous 3 "proper" Diablo games.

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
For now this is the official standpoint regarding that:

Adam Fletcher / Global Community Lead for @Diablo at @Blizzard_Ent

"D4 is coming out as a full price game built strictly for PC/console audiences. The game is huge & there will be tons of content after launch for all players. Paid content is built around optional cosmetic items & eventually full expansions. We will be sharing more info soon!"

So I will hold my horses and wait for the game's relase before going for my pitchfork, yeah I know Immortal left a bad taste in many ppl's mouth but that game was designed as a mobile game from the get go while D4 wasnt so lets wait and see..

Personally I'm interested since I grew up on this serie, as long as it only has cosmetic stuff to buy then I don't care and will play/buy it regardless.

Confucius say: "Dont trust Activision/Blizzard"

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Confucius say: "Dont trust Activision/Blizzard"

How many devs who made Diablo II & III are still around in Activision/blizzard? I thought many of them left to make Runic, Frost Giant , and other studios.

System Name Main
Processor 8700K
Motherboard Maximus Hero X
Cooling EVGA 280 CLC w/ Noctua silent fans
Memory 2x8GB 3600/16
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080TI Hybrid
Still looks too cartoony and I wonder will the story be as weak and forgettable like it was in D3?

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
1st: video: all such game trailers are done with movie level graphics not representative of actual game graphics.

2nd video: everything was crisp and clear until the scene overlooking the city, its got a huge dust cloud over it, or its pollution, but its a weak and old graphics trick to cover up what could have been incredible detail.

I have to agree, if there is loot boxes, I'll pass.

One other thing that i wanted to say is that there are many contenders among developers in the industry for "best cinematic trailer" awards through the years, but i think the ones that did Diablo 3 & 4 are certainly up there with the best imo!

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Still looks too cartoony and I wonder will the story be as weak and forgettable like it was in D3?
I agree. This is not a graphics for 2023. It looks like how D3 should have looked a decade ago unfortunately.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
How many devs who made Diablo II & III are still around in Activision/blizzard? I thought many of them left to make Runic, Frost Giant , and other studios.

The debate wasnt about the level of quality, polish or creative direction of the game compared to previous releases. Immortal runs pretty smoothly on non samsung Exynos hardware (not sure if this has been patched yet)

But its full of predatory microtransactions and they have pulled out every trick in the book to make you pay money to progress within the game.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Blizzard need to restore faith in their mortally-wounded brand name. If Diablo IV is anything other than a fantastic game devoid of P2W and 0-day DLC, Diablo as a franchise is permanently ruined.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
With Diablo franchise, I don't care about graphics that much. As long as it keeps the feeling of a thrill when you play with the same atmosphere I will be happy. There's so many games with tremendous graphics and I played them minutes and dropped forever. Graphics is not everything but there has to be some sort of graphics level. As far as I look at the trailer I'm satisfied. The release is next year so there is still time for improvement.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
The only problem with P2W is if it's predatory IMO. If a player wants to spend 10$ instead of grinding for 10 hours for that cool thing I'm fine with that. I do not take multiplayer into account here.

Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
With Diablo franchise, I don't care about graphics that much. As long as it keeps the feeling of a thrill when you play with the same atmosphere I will be happy. There's so many games with tremendous graphics and I played them minutes and dropped forever. Graphics is not everything but there has to be some sort of graphics level. As far as I look at the trailer I'm satisfied. The release is next year so there is still time for improvement.
Diablo II Resurrected has x10 times better graphics than Diablo III and also it's a way better game from all points.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Diablo II Resurrected has x10 times better graphics than Diablo III and also it's a way better game from all points.
Obviously I'm playing the game all the time :). Diablo III was not that good in my opinion. Played it a little bit but it didnt blew me away like D2 did.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Diablo 3 was a betrayal of the Diablo franchise which, after RMAH removal and a lot of additional effort from Blizzard, turned out to be a reasonably fun game without really being true to D1 or D2.

D2R was nothing more than the exact game Blizzard would have made 22 years ago if PCs were faster and they'd had far more time and money.

Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Diablo 3 was a betrayal of the Diablo franchise which, after RMAH removal and a lot of additional effort from Blizzard, turned out to be a reasonably fun game without really being true to D1 or D2.

D2R was nothing more than the exact game Blizzard would have made 22 years ago if PCs were faster and they'd had far more time and money.
I think Diablo Immoral takes their worst Diablo crawn now...

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
I think Diablo Immoral takes their worst Diablo crawn now...
Never played that but it is also for cell phones so it has to be different.