• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Said to be Designing its own Arm SoC to Compete with Apple Silicon

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
According to Tom's Hardware, Microsoft is busy hiring engineers to help the company design its own Arm based SoC for Windows 12. Based on job listings, Microsoft is adding people to its "Silicon team," which is currently involved in designing products for Microsoft's Azure, Xbox Surface and HoloLens products. That said, the specific job listings mentioned by Tom's Hardware mentions "optimizing Windows 12 for Silicon-ARM architecture" suggesting we're looking at a custom Arm SoC, with others mentioning "internally developed silicon components" and "building complex, state-of-the-art SOCs using leading silicon technology nodes and will collaborate closely with internal customers and partners."

That said, Microsoft is currently working with Qualcomm and the Microsoft SQ3 found in the Surface Pro 9 is the latest result of that partnership. This brings the question if Microsoft has decided to make its own chip to compete with the Apple M-series of silicon, or if Microsoft is simply looking at working closer with Qualcomm by hiring inhouse talent that can help tweak the Qualcomm silicon to better suit its needs. With Windows 12 scheduled for a 2024 release, it looks like we'll have to wait a while longer to find out what Microsoft is cooking up, but regardless of what it is, it looks like Windows on Arm isn't going anywhere.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Apple primarily had a HW issue, Microsoft primarily has a SW issue. Designing their own Arm SoC is neat (and copycatting Apple but I'll ignore that) but this won't do shit about the problems they have with SW.
That said, there is also a chicken and an egg problem here, but for as long as Microsoft is asking for crazy premiums for their products with Arm SoC's I don't understand how they're trying to solve this problem.

I just don't really get why Microsoft is so insistent on doing this. Their ecosystem is entrenched in x64-x86.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
ermm how exactly does that compete with apple?

not sure how it will got for Microsoft especially they couldnt handle the hardware side of things like Nokia/Windows phone situation.

i am not sure if they can compete with Mediatek , let alone Apple..

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
ermm how exactly does that compete with apple?
Arm vs Arm based SoC? It might not be a direct competitor, but for people that aren't fixed on only buying Apple hardware, it might be a competitor, depending on how it performs once it launches.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Apple primarily had a HW issue, Microsoft primarily has a SW issue. Designing their own Arm SoC is neat (and copycatting Apple but I'll ignore that) but this won't do shit about the problems they have with SW.
That said, there is also a chicken and an egg problem here, but for as long as Microsoft is asking for crazy premiums for their products with Arm SoC's I don't understand how they're trying to solve this problem.

I just don't really get why Microsoft is so insistent on doing this. Their ecosystem is entrenched in x64-x86.

not sure how it will got for Microsoft especially they couldnt handle the hardware side of things like Nokia/Windows phone situation.

i am not sure if they can compete with Mediatek , let alone Apple..
"History teaches us that history teaches us NOTHING"

'nuff said :D

Although M$'s track record with phones is less than stellar, their other hdwr (mice, KB's etc) is pretty solid, but they are scaling that back now, so perhaps some of those resources can be applied to this SoC effort...only time will tell....and they're gonna need all the help they can get if they ever hope to catch up to da fruity boys in this arena :)

But for now, the only potentially good thing that might come from this is moar competition in the ARM SoC space, which usually results in lower prices for us, or better products overall....

But for now, the only potentially good thing that might come from this is moar competition in the ARM SoC space, which usually results in lower prices for us, or better products overall....
That's the problem with Microsoft. They're not.
You expect the ARM devices to be cheap so people are willing to buy in the ecosystem if it's seriously cheaper (and more people means more support which means it's less of a problem which means people are willing to pay more etc., see Apple).
But it's not.
And that's so confusing to me.
What's Microsoft's game?

System Name Never trust a socket with less than 2000 pins
Who going to port all the games to Windows ARM?

And are they going to have a Rosetta 2 equivalent? That's a tall order, Apple's achievement here is remarkable. And Mac apps tend to do less crazy things than Windows games.

But new ARM efforts are not automatically accessible for many OSes, namely Linux. So the question is whether that competition is useful for the consumer as long as MS ARM only runs Windows and Apple ARM doesn't have production-ready alternative OSes. True competition would require a common OS, otherwise you remain locked in.

I believe they are very interested in pushing arm for azure. Licensing costs and energy consumption could be two important factors.

What a huge waste of time and money.

That's the most annoying part, people choose windows for compatibility... Microsoft knows better than anyone the huge weaknesses of this move. Meh.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
Wish they would abandon this space, then it might stop them trying to copycat Mac OS interface.