• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony Sticking With PC Release Strategy According to PlayStation CEO, Planning More PS5 Exclusives

T0@st

News Editor
Staff member
Jim Ryan, the current President and CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment, has once again confirmed his company's committal to staggering the launch of PlayStation ports onto the PC platform. Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu published an interview last week, and western news outlets have spent time over the past weekend translating and analyzing this article. The contents/discussion focuses mostly on Sony Corporation's strategies for its PlayStation 5 console in their native market. Ryan addresses the interviewer's question about the growing popularity of gaming on PCs in Japan (the nation has historically favored home console platforms): "I think that's a very good thing. When considering the multifaceted development of game IP, PCs are indispensable for allowing more people to enjoy games in a variety of ways. I think (that) more is better."

Ryan was asked about the possibility of simultaneous first-party game launches on PS5 and PC platforms in the future - his answer points to the company not deviating from its normal operating strategy: "We also fully understand the importance of PS5 exclusive titles. As I mentioned earlier, PlayStation Studios' main responsibility is to make games for the latest PlayStation hardware that players will enjoy. We are increasing the number of PS5 exclusive games, and staggering the release of the PC versions." Ryan claims to have received positive feedback from gamers about this matter: "I often have the opportunity to ask game fans for their opinions, and when I ask them how they feel about the time lag, they often say they feel the release of a PC version two or three years after the release of the PlayStation version is acceptable. It's a community that we should cherish the most. We will continue to listen to the voices of game fans and develop various titles in a multifaceted manner."

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name Homebase
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus X570S UD
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5 RGB
Memory 2*16 Kingston Fury DDR4-3600 double ranked
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6800 16 GB
Storage 1*512 WD Red SN700, 1*2TB Curcial P5, 1*2TB Sandisk Plus (TLC), 1*14TB Toshiba MG
Display(s) Philips E-line 275E1S
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Power Supply Corsair RM850 2019
Mouse Sharkoon Sharkforce Pro
Keyboard Fujitsu KB955
And the other department is: "qq-Microsoft is going to destroy us with exclusive games when they take over CallofDonkeyheads and WoWlingers....."

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Sony simply knows: our formula works.

All they have to do is pump out real games.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
Just make the games, they dont need to be exclusive as thats anti consumer, if they sold the games on more platforms that means more sales and also can charge less for the games.

The industry seems to self destructing.

Processor i7-4790K 4.6GHz @1.29v
Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VII Z97
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory G. Skill Trident X 2x8GB 2133MHz
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf RTX 3060 V1 FHR (Newegg Shuffle)
Storage OS 120GB Kingston V300, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB , 3TB Hitachi HDD, 2x5TB Toshiba X300, 500GB M.2 @ x2
Display(s) Lenovo y27g 1080p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) AKG Q701's w/ O2+ODAC (Sounds a little bright)
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 850w
Mouse Glorious Model D
Keyboard Rosewill Full Size. Red Switches. Blue Leds. RK-9100xBRE - Hate this. way to big
Software Win10
Benchmark Scores 3DMark FireStrike Score : needs updating
But where tf is Demon's Souls

sold my PS5 the moment they started releasing exclusives on PC, looks like I won't be buying it again (or any other PS for that matter)
The formula works. Put the first installment on PC and wait until they come in droves to buy the second part on the Playstation platform.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
The formula works. Put the first installment on PC and wait until they come in droves to buy the second part on the Playstation platform.

didn't spider man get a first and a second? your logic is flawed man

didn't spider man get a first and a second? your logic is flawed man

It still released much earlier on Playstation - 2 years earlier to be precise. It released on PC shortly after the first game also released on PC because thruthfully it's not really a second game, more like an in between expansion.

It still released much earlier on Playstation - 2 years earlier to be precise. It released on PC shortly after the first game also released on PC because thruthfully it's not really a second game, more like an in between expansion.
It launched at $50. I would say that it is a bit bigger than an in between expansion. I just finished it recently and put 18hrs into it. The only extra stuff I did was the side missions via the phone.

It launched at $50. I would say that it is a bit bigger than an in between expansion. I just finished it recently and put 18hrs into it. The only extra stuff I did was the side missions via the phone.

Launch price doesn't mean all that much, of course they're gonna milk it. But in my opinion it really doesn't hold up to the original, you must play really slowly if it took you 18 hours (not dissing, just saying, that's way above average for a simple main story run without going for 100%)

The averages I can find online are around 8 hours, since I played the 2 games back to back and was familiar with the gameplay I believe it took me less before going after the platinum.

Tarkinator

I played God of War on PC and it was so good I went and bought a PS5 just to play the sequel. Sony is smart, they got me good!

System Name ✨ Lenovo M700 [Tiny]
Cooling ⚠️ 78,08% N² ⌬ 20,95% O² ⌬ 0,93% Ar ⌬ 0,04% CO²
Audio Device(s) ◐◑ AKG K702 ⌬ FiiO E10K Olympus 2
Mouse ✌️ Corsair M65 RGB Elite [Black] ⌬ Endgame Gear MPC-890 Cordura
Keyboard ⌨ Turtle Beach Impact 500
And yet I still have to throw my moneyz at Forza because there is no Gran Turismo in sight for PC. :cool: Pure decadence.

This was the last GT I played. To Platinum.

D

Deleted member 185088

Makes sense for them, they can release their games few years later to continue milking them. But given the state of PC going and the greed of nVidia the PS5 is a better place to play Sony's games.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
And yet I still have to throw my moneyz at Forza because there is no Gran Turismo in sight for PC. :cool: Pure decadence.

This was the last GT I played. To Platinum.

we will never get PS3 era games on PC because of that weird architecture they used for their APU.

System Name Battlestation
Processor intel i9 9900K
Motherboard EVGA Z370 FTW
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 2X8 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz Corsair
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Founders Edition
Storage Western Digital SN850 1 TB NVME
Display(s) Asus PG248Q
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis pro
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2
Mouse Logitech G PRO
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/38948601 https://i.ibb.co/1MDLrVz/apres.jpg
Consoles exclusives are the main reason people buy consoles in the first place since gaming market emerged. People want to play a game they are attracted to and they will just buy the console if it's required to do so. That's why consoles creators companies invest a lot into great game developpment as well.

It's foolish to think the game developpers would win more money if their game were released on all platforms altogether, because developping great games costs a huge amount of money, and without the financial support of big groups like sony or nintendo their best exclusive games would probably never had been released because they wouldn't have enough money to develop it in the first place.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
Consoles exclusives are the main reason people buy consoles in the first place since gaming market emerged. People want to play a game they are attracted to and they will just buy the console if it's required to do so. That's why consoles creators companies invest a lot into great game developpment as well.

It's foolish to think the game developpers would win more money if their game were released on all platforms altogether, because developping great games costs a huge amount of money, and without the financial support of big groups like sony or nintendo their best exclusive games would probably never had been released because they wouldn't have enough money to develop it in the first place.

that's actually not true, a lot of people prefer consoles: play on the couch, no troubleshooting, no cheating, they prefer the controller (yes i know people that do) even if you can now use a controller on a PC so this one is mostly a relic of the past, cheaper hardware, etc... there are lots of reasons not just exclusives.

System Name Battlestation
Processor intel i9 9900K
Motherboard EVGA Z370 FTW
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 2X8 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz Corsair
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Founders Edition
Storage Western Digital SN850 1 TB NVME
Display(s) Asus PG248Q
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis pro
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2
Mouse Logitech G PRO
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/38948601 https://i.ibb.co/1MDLrVz/apres.jpg
no cheating

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Also:

Clipboard02.png

System Name ✨ Lenovo M700 [Tiny]
Cooling ⚠️ 78,08% N² ⌬ 20,95% O² ⌬ 0,93% Ar ⌬ 0,04% CO²
Audio Device(s) ◐◑ AKG K702 ⌬ FiiO E10K Olympus 2
Mouse ✌️ Corsair M65 RGB Elite [Black] ⌬ Endgame Gear MPC-890 Cordura
Keyboard ⌨ Turtle Beach Impact 500
we will never get PS3 era games on PC because of that weird architecture they used for their APU.

Never say never. ;) When the PS4 released they also said it's not possible (most likely because it required too much CPU performance for emulation). Now we are on the PS5 and Sony made PS1, 2 & 3 games available with the PlaySatation Plus Premium subscription. Granted, "native" PS3 games can only be played via streaming from their servers, but I am pretty sure they didn't develop some magic hardware for their servers. They most likely run emulated on more performant servers. Which means it could well run on the PS6 without streaming on the console. Even modders showed that it's possible to run PS3 games on PC. Very demanding, but it works.

that's actually not true, a lot of people prefer consoles: play on the couch, no troubleshooting, no cheating, they prefer the controller (yes i know people that do) even if you can now use a controller on a PC so this one is mostly a relic of the past, cheaper hardware, etc... there are lots of reasons not just exclusives.

I see consoles more like a "entry drug". :) Once you realize all the benefits on PC (way more games, way cheaper games, broader community features, etc.) there is no way back. Of course there is a steep learing curve, Windows nonsense, software quirks, mastering mouse & keyboard, but once you got used to it it's like you entered the Matrix.

Also the "input periphery war" is just nonsense. You pick by game and not by system. Racing games are just unplayable without controller (or if you got the cash with a weel for even more control). I also wouldn't touch a shooter game anymore without mouse & keyboard. And flight simulators are best played with a joystick.

The younger me would also have voted for "favourite games", "better graphics" & "play with friends". :cool: Nowadays when you can get almost all xBox & PlayStation games on PC, I wouldn't buy either of them just to play a handful of games not available. The only console I would buy is Nintendo. They just make different games with their own flair, and tons of fun. Didn't buy the Nintendo Switch because I like a stationary console with up-to-date performant hardware and not a battery powered semi handheld. Hoping their next console will be a real console.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard AORUS B450 ELITE
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S Chromax Black
Memory DDR4 Ballistix Sport LT 2x8GB 3000MHZ CAS15 / DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz CAS 15
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6750XT Reference Design
Storage 2.5 TB 2.5" SSD / 3 TB HDD
Display(s) ASUS 27" 165HZ VG27WQ / Vertical 16/10 iiyama 25" 75Hz ProLite XUB2595WSU-B1
Case be quiet! Dark Base 700 RGB
Audio Device(s) PSB Alpha P3 / LOXJIE A30 Amp
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GA
Mouse Cooler master MM720
Keyboard Roccat horde
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Software Windows 10