• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

With PowerVia, Intel Achieves a Chipmaking Breakthrough

System Name Roku
Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI VHD PRO MAX
Cooling Cryorig H7
Memory G.Skill Sniper X 16 GB
Video Card(s) Galax 2060 Super 1-Click OC
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Acer VG252Q
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX 650W
Mouse Logitech G102
Keyboard Phantom RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro
“The benefits of this approach are manifold,…”

I had to laugh when I read this. I believe they meant “many fold”. Otherwise cool stuff!
Manifold is correct

hs4

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not very hopeful about that timeline. It seems way too aggressive given that even Meteor Lake hasn't started shipping.
A positive assessment of Intel's plan would be that their stagnation in the FinFET era was due to the choice of metal layer material (cobalt wiring), while the silicon processing technology itself was doing well. Recently, they finally found a suitable material and got a fine metal pitch of 30-36 nm, almost equivalent to TSMC N3E. PowerVIA's technology to alleviate metal layer crowding will enable high density at 20A/18A with the same pitch as Intel 4/3.

Metal layer miniaturization has been a recent struggle for TSMC as well, and N3 failed to do so, leading to N3E with wider metal pitch, which has delayed 3nm volume production by 2 years.

Intel's recent 1-2 year delay is also due to the European lockdown caused by COVID-19, which stalled EUV lithography equipment production and delayed the delivering. Instead, it appears that Intel has acquired much of the next generation EUV lithography equipment to be delivered after 2024.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO (WiFi 6)
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S (two fans)
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) Reference Vega 64
Storage Intel 665p 1TB, WD Black SN850X 2TB, Crucial MX300 1TB SATA, Samsung 830 256 GB SATA
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG27, and Samsung S23A700
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TITANIUM 850W
Mouse Logitech
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Windows 11 Pro, and Ubuntu 20.04
A positive assessment of Intel's plan would be that their stagnation in the FinFET era was due to the choice of metal layer material (cobalt wiring), while the silicon processing technology itself was doing well. Recently, they finally found a suitable material and got a fine metal pitch of 30-36 nm, almost equivalent to TSMC N3E. PowerVIA's technology to alleviate metal layer crowding will enable high density at 20A/18A with the same pitch as Intel 4/3.

Metal layer miniaturization has been a recent struggle for TSMC as well, and N3 failed to do so, leading to N3E with wider metal pitch, which has delayed 3nm volume production by 2 years.

Intel's recent 1-2 year delay is also due to the European lockdown caused by COVID-19, which stalled EUV lithography equipment production and delayed the delivering. Instead, it appears that Intel has acquired much of the next generation EUV lithography equipment to be delivered after 2024.
Intel 4 still uses a combination of tantalum and cobalt for the barriers and liners that surround the wires. This is also Intel's first process that will use EUV and TSMC has substantial experience with EUV in production so I wouldn't discount them just yet. Intel also had problems with its 14 nm process before they ever went to Cobalt. I hope they hit their targets, because TSMC needs competition, but based on the past, I'm cautiously pessimistic.

1686317883217.png