• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple Reported to be Reducing Factory Output of Vision Pro AR Headset

T0@st

News Editor
Staff member
The Financial Times believes that Apple is running into major production issues related to its Vision Pro mixed reality headset—insider sources claim that the mega-sized multinational technology company is adjusting internal sales goals for the $3499 AR/VR "spatial computer." Leadership had set an ambitious internal target of 1 million units sold in 2024, but the complexity of the system's design has apparently caused major setbacks for manufacturing partners. Apple is reported to have signed up with Luxshare, a Chinese contract manufacturer, to assemble Vision Pro headsets—insiders within both organizations reckon that only 400,000 units will be ready for sale throughout 2024. This number seems to be fairly optimistic given that Trendforce predicted that a mere 200,000 would be shipped next year.

FT gathered information from two other sources placed within the Chinese supply chain—they claim that Apple and Luxshare could encounter major component shortages in 2024, resulting in a production shortfall—with an estimated 130,000 to 150,000 finalized units. The article points out that the most complex (and costly) aspect of the headset lies in its micro-OLED display setup, that also includes outward facing lenses. TSMC and Sony are reported to be the suppliers of these parts (as featured on the prototypes), but Apple is allegedly not satisfied with low production numbers, and not enough batches are "free of defects." A cheaper version of the Vision Pro is apparently now on the backburner, since Apple is unlikely to recoup—factoring in R&D expenses—within the first year of the intial product's launch.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Either it's not selling or they are trying to jack prices even higher

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
that is expensive wow

Who would have thought that there wouldn’t be much demand for such a high priced toy?

Can’t work with existing non-Apple ecosystems, can’t work with existing VR tech, can’t be afforded by wider market for these products…. Low demand, Surprised Pikachu!

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Although Apple usually does a really good job forecasting/predicting/analyzing etc, but WOW, they sure blew it on this one IMHO !

I'm not sure what type of uber high-grade pharma their folks were partaking of when they wrote the PR about the Vision's prospects, but I sure would like to get some of it :D

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Apple doesn't seem to understand that their success has little to do with their hardware, and everything to do with their brand being a fashion statement and status symbol.

Wearing a dorky headset does not work as either a fashion statement or status symbol.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Apple doesn't seem to understand that their success has little to do with their hardware, and everything to do with their brand being a fashion statement and status symbol.

Wearing a dorky headset does not work as either a fashion statement or status symbol.
This, this and this again.

VR in its current form, and even AR, is still tied to a ridiculous, heavy, cumbersome, piece of gear that obscures your view and your emotions for the outside world. You might be physically in the room, but its 10x worse than being in the room with your eyes fixated on your phone. Now you're also waving your arms about like a retard and everyone else still has no clue what for.

Wake me up when they have compacted the whole thing down to a regular pair of glasses. Prior to that? DOA for any widespread use. A little demo? Sure. A virtual tour? Fine. Anything more? Nope

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
What I'm reading is that it's not about demand, but production difficulties. You have no choice but to ramp down production when suppliers can't get you all the parts. This thing was barely ready when they announced it, and I believe the complex nature of the hardware was one of the big reasons.

System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
Right… this thing doesn’t even have a release date and people are talking about sales. Just the mention of Apple seems to turn some forum member’s rage level to maximum

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
Right… this thing doesn’t even have a release date and people are talking about sales. Just the mention of Apple seems to turn some forum member’s rage level to maximum
Apple philosophy about computers isn't "enthusiast friendly" :D . Those are products that you buy, turn on, and then use without thinking too much about what's going on behind the doors.
I used the 2019 iMac 27 for work for 6 months. I've read that the CPU was getting hot, that it wasn't always boosting at max speed. But I've never felt that it was slow while using it...Apple products are not perfect but they are really good in key points that make them "safe" to buy for many people. (Apple doesn't sell screens that aren't well calibrated, or barely cover sRGB for example. On the PC side you can easily end up with a shoddy screen if you don't know what you are doing)

This is checking out with the rumors that the product was just revealed too early. Employees tried to tell Cook that he should wait, but he didn't listened to them.

Am*

System Name 3D Vision & Sound Blaster
Processor Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz (stock voltage)
Motherboard Gigabyte P67A-D3-B3
Cooling Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Special Edition (with 3x 140mm Black Thermalright fans)
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB (2x8GB 1600MHz CL8)
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX TITAN X 12288MB Maxwell @1350MHz
Storage 6TB of Samsung SSDs + 12TB of HDDs
Display(s) LG C1 48 + LG 38UC99 + Samsung S34E790C + BenQ XL2420T + PHILIPS 231C5TJKFU
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed with 6x 140mm Corsair AFs
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster Z SE + Z906 5.1 speakers/DT 990 PRO
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX 650W 80+ Platinum
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard CHERRY MX-Board 1.0 Backlit Silent Red Keyboard
Software Windows 7 Pro (RIP) + Winbloat 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 2fast4u,bro...
What I'm reading is that it's not about demand, but production difficulties. You have no choice but to ramp down production when suppliers can't get you all the parts. This thing was barely ready when they announced it, and I believe the complex nature of the hardware was one of the big reasons.
That's the picture they're no doubt trying to paint, but I'm not buying it. There's no way this product would have even been announced if they thought they wouldn't be able to meet the demand and recoup their R&D costs. Those contracts Apple signs with suppliers are iron-clad: "you need to ship X minimum number of finished units per quarter or penalties for you and we can jump ship to another supplier. If we cut that production, it's penalties for us." Sounds like they're trying to paint a picture that Ngreedia has been doing for these past 2 gens: launch handful of units = sell out instantly = free stock price boost, because "muh unprecedented demand" -- especially for a product this niche, which even the average "pro" Apple consumer isn't going to be interested in.

I don't doubt that they will be able to sell out of a million units worldwide during launch -- but will they still need that production capacity going once the launch hype dies down? I very much doubt it. It's too expensive and too niche.

Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
This is checking out with the rumors that the product was just revealed too early. Employees tried to tell Cook that he should wait, but he didn't listened to them.
Vey much this. Engineers left the project because they were worried about production issues and the product itself being underdeveloped. Allegedly Cook pushed up the timeline to finally release a unit — there has been reputable speculation that they’d launch this two years ago, and it keeps getting postponed.
I don't doubt that they will be able to sell out of a million units worldwide during launch -- but will they still need that production capacity going once the launch hype dies down? I very much doubt it. It's too expensive and too niche.
I think even 500,000 is a reach. Cook himself says it’s unaffordable and most VR headsets haven’t sold anywhere near that number.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
That's the picture they're no doubt trying to paint, but I'm not buying it. There's no way this product would have even been announced if they thought they wouldn't be able to meet the demand and recoup their R&D costs. Those contracts Apple signs with suppliers are iron-clad: "you need to ship X minimum number of finished units per quarter or penalties for you and we can jump ship to another supplier. If we cut that production, it's penalties for us." Sounds like they're trying to paint a picture that Ngreedia has been doing for these past 2 gens: launch handful of units = sell out instantly = free stock price boost, because "muh unprecedented demand" -- especially for a product this niche, which even the average "pro" Apple consumer isn't going to be interested in.

I guess that only works when you can jump to another supplier. I doubt the issues are with aluminum frames, batteries, or glass, but with chips and components that are very specialized, and getting them made somewhere else would be another huge production delay. Again, this product has been in the works a long time, with rumors of production issues causing delays all along the way. It was getting to the point of Apple needing it to be launched before it misses the window of when the hardware would be accepted at any high price point. Look at Intel Arc--in the works forever, and finally launched at way too late, so pricing was not good at all. Even then it doesn't appear to be selling great at low prices. Apple can certainly endure some R&D losses, but eventually boardrooms have enough of that. Cook pushing it out the door was not likely his decision entirely.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
This, this and this again.

VR in its current form, and even AR, is still tied to a ridiculous, heavy, cumbersome, piece of gear that obscures your view and your emotions for the outside world. You might be physically in the room, but its 10x worse than being in the room with your eyes fixated on your phone. Now you're also waving your arms about like a retard and everyone else still has no clue what for.

Wake me up when they have compacted the whole thing down to a regular pair of glasses. Prior to that? DOA for any widespread use. A little demo? Sure. A virtual tour? Fine. Anything more? Nope
Look up JHMCS /HMD, that helmet's visor was bulky and cumbersome for testing on the F-16.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2

It's also their software. The suite of integrated apple software works wonders for people whom cannot fathom installing an APK or configuring setting files.

These people are not going to be interested in AR/VR. All the techies who are got driven away from apple ages ago.

I believe they claimed something similar with the iphone 14 when production was cut due to utter lack of demand. As in foxconn suddenly forgot how to make phones.

Apple philosophy about computers isn't "enthusiast friendly" :D . Those are products that you buy, turn on, and then use without thinking too much about what's going on behind the doors.
I used the 2019 iMac 27 for work for 6 months. I've read that the CPU was getting hot, that it wasn't always boosting at max speed. But I've never felt that it was slow while using it...Apple products are not perfect but they are really good in key points that make them "safe" to buy for many people. (Apple doesn't sell screens that aren't well calibrated, or barely cover sRGB for example. On the PC side you can easily end up with a shoddy screen if you don't know what you are doing)

Apple has also largely kept their OS the same with minor tweaks year to year, as opposed to MS' massive upheavals every 3-4 years.

The shipping estimates were always pure fantasy. The marketing team needs to be sacked immediately for pushing this nonsense. Even iTards have a limit.

Audio Device(s) A LOT
About 6 hours of reason before it turned back into a rage fest :(

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
i still dont get who is the target market for this vision pro?

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
It's also their software. The suite of integrated apple software works wonders for people whom cannot fathom installing an APK or configuring setting files.

I do find it funny that many of the iPhone users at work use Google search, Google maps, Google Chrome, Google password manager, and often ask for my help in 'de-Apple-ing' their new phone. I'm always like "why don't you just buy a Pixel?" and they say "it works with my iPad and AppleTV better".

Part of it is the captive audience/stockholm syndrome. Once you're on Apple with more than a single device you're trapped in a walled garden and it doesn't matter how good other ecosystems are, you don't want to fight Apple. They'll never play nicely with Microsoft, Amazon, or Google so you're forced to either abandon your app and hardware purchases to get out, or just double-down and keep on Apple-ing.

Audio Device(s) A LOT
Here I am a system administrator who lives in terminals managing servers happily using Apple products in my home with no issues managing them all with a Linux server

you guys are boring