• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS NUC Product Lineup is Official

T0@st

News Editor
Staff member
The North American branch of ASUS has unveiled its NUC product lineup—this announcement arrives only a month and a half after making an agreement with Intel to transfer rights for the sales and manufacturing of NUC products to their Business Unit (NUC BU). Their X account tweeted out late last week: "Exciting News! Starting September 1st, NUC becomes a proud member of the ASUS product lineup, setting off on an exhilarating journey ahead Delve into NUC product specifics on the official ASUS website."

ASUS seems to have absorbed the current crop of 10th to 13th NUC series systems into its portfolio, although the emphasis appears to be placed on Raptor Lake-based units. Other news outlets anticipate that ASUS NUC 13 Extreme products (minus ROG livery) could hit the market soon. The ASUS marketing blurb outlines their ambitions going forward: "NUC-Powerful experiences in small packages. NUC-rhymes with luck-is the Next Unit of Computing that delivers incredible performance, rich l/O, high-end graphics capabilities, and sleek designs for everyone and every situation, including gaming and business." ASUS NUC BU will likely adopt upcoming Raptor Lake Refresh and Meteor Lake CPUs.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

I’m looking forward to seeing how the next generation of nuc or mini-PCs based on meteor lake compares to the ryzen-based mini-PCs. Meteor lake vs Dragon Range. The minisforum um790 pro is nice. I wonder how a similar MTL box will compare ?

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
Isn't this lineup stillborn, since Intel abandoned NUC earlier this year. Really wanted to succeed but whatever outlets there were for NUC had considerable markups, cost more than building a SFF sys and that says something because of the already egregiou SFF tax.

Isn't this lineup stillborn, since Intel abandoned NUC earlier this year. Really wanted to succeed but whatever outlets there were for NUC had considerable markups, cost more than building a SFF sys and that says something because of the already egregiou SFF tax.
Intel licensed nuc to Asus. So for all we know, ROG-based NUCs might be coming. Given the increasing popularity of mini-PCs, Asus just might make some money from it. Especially if they pair a nuc/miniPC with their external video card offerings.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
-rhymes with luck-
I'm disappoint. Did it also rhyme with luck while it belonged to Intel?

Intel licensed nuc to Asus. So for all we know, ROG-based NUCs might be coming. Given the increasing popularity of mini-PCs, Asus just might make some money from it. Especially if they pair a nuc/miniPC with their external video card offerings.
Intel sold their NUC division, not licensed it.

Intel sold their NUC division, not licensed it.
They licensed it.

From intel itself: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/newsroom/news/intel-nuc-systems-agreement.html

“Under the proposed agreement, ASUS will receive a non-exclusive license to Intel’s NUC systems product line designs, enabling it to manufacture and sell 10th to 13th Gen NUC systems products and develop future designs.”

read: “non-exclusive license” meaning intel theoretically could license the NUC intellectual property to another entity, perhaps minisforum or asRock or others. I don’t know the terms and conditions of the contract and whether or how much Asus paid for the right to use the NUC IP.

Also, if intel outright sold all of the NUC rights to Asus, how can intel simultaneously also grant a “non-exclusive license”?

They licensed it.

From intel itself: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/newsroom/news/intel-nuc-systems-agreement.html

“Under the proposed agreement, ASUS will receive a non-exclusive license to Intel’s NUC systems product line designs, enabling it to manufacture and sell 10th to 13th Gen NUC systems products and develop future designs.”

read: “non-exclusive license” meaning intel theoretically could license the NUC intellectual property to another entity, perhaps minisforum or asRock or others. I don’t know the terms and conditions of the contract and whether or how much Asus paid for the right to use the NUC IP.

Also, if intel outright sold all of the NUC rights to Asus, how can intel simultaneously also grant a “non-exclusive license”?
Because this ~
Curiously, the deal is explicitly nonexclusive; so despite ASUS being set up to be Intel's successor in the NUC space, ASUS isn't necessarily getting the NUC market to itself – though Intel isn't announcing any other licensees at this time, either.
You're right about the "sale" part, for now ~
The limited details on the deal also do not mention ASUS taking on any employees from Intel's existing NUC group, so it seems this will not be a wholesale business unit transfer like other units such as SSDs have been.
Looks like some clever accounting trick to not take any liabilities nor assets directly from Intel on their balance sheet.

Because this ~

You're right about the "sale" part, for now ~

Looks like some clever accounting trick to not take any liabilities nor assets directly from Intel on their balance sheet.
Good sleuthing. There’s certainly more to the story.

But nonetheless, with the increasing performance of low-wattage chips like the 7940HS and upcoming EUV-based lakes by intel, the mini-pc space is poised to flourish. So I’m very interested to see how the market progresses. Especially now with stronger iGPUs coming, and usb4v2 coming (with 80 gbps). You can attach fast external storage or a plethora of other pcie-based devices.

I think for many people, at some point, there will be little reason to own a big tower pc, and deal with all the space and noise it takes up/generates, given that the compute found in mini-PCs will be more than good enough for average users. The 7940HS is impressive. I wonder about meteor lake-p and strix point zen 5. Interesting times ahead for the mini pc space.

I’m looking forward to seeing how the next generation of nuc or mini-PCs based on meteor lake compares to the ryzen-based mini-PCs. Meteor lake vs Dragon Range. The minisforum um790 pro is nice. I wonder how a similar MTL box will compare ?
Same here, I'm waiting for meteor lake for comparison.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
Good sleuthing. There’s certainly more to the story.

But nonetheless, with the increasing performance of low-wattage chips like the 7940HS and upcoming EUV-based lakes by intel, the mini-pc space is poised to flourish. So I’m very interested to see how the market progresses. Especially now with stronger iGPUs coming, and usb4v2 coming (with 80 gbps). You can attach fast external storage or a plethora of other pcie-based devices.

I think for many people, at some point, there will be little reason to own a big tower pc, and deal with all the space and noise it takes up/generates, given that the compute found in mini-PCs will be more than good enough for average users. The 7940HS is impressive. I wonder about meteor lake-p and strix point zen 5. Interesting times ahead for the mini pc space.
I don't big tower PCs are going to be affected, since those users will have already have migrated to a smaller form factor such as a laptop, SFF PC, or All in One. NUC will be pulling from those users, and users who want to run multiple systems a category I fall in.