• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sparkle Intros PCIe Gen 4 Quad M.2 Riser Card

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Sparkle introduced the PCIe Gen 4 Quad M.2 Riser Card. This single-slot, full-height card is meant to be installed on a PCI-Express 4.0 x16 slot, which it wires out as four M.2-22110 slots with Gen 4 x4 wiring, and mounting bolt set to M.2-2280 by default. With the drives in place, the card is meant to be covered up by a metal shroud; there's no contact between this shroud and the drives underneath. Cooling comes in the form of two lateral-blower fans that guide airflow under the shroud.

The first (intake) fan is 60 mm in size, while the second one (exhaust, near the tail-end), is 50 mm. Both are controlled by a localized fan-speed control, with three speed settings that can be selected by a 3-way switch on the rear I/O shield. Next to it, are four LEDs that denote power/activity of the individual drives. The card is 28 cm long, and 12 cm tall. What sets Sparkle's card apart from other brands is that the card relies entirely on the PCIe slot for powering itself—unlike some other cards that use a 6-pin connector. The company didn't reveal pricing.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
If only the shroud had contact with the drives to act as a heatsink.

Didnt know they were still in business, thought they had ceased to exist.

Bifurcation required, because no dedicated PCIe bridge chip
Atleast on AMD platform it shouldnt be a problem while with Intel everything is castrated.

Samus-AR

What is the point of recovering and spitting out the air inside the case itself?

ChuzzWuzza

I have one of these in my system on AMD build with bifurcation can take 3 nvme's be a lot cheaper than that sparkly thing :)
Yes I have tried 4

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 09-34-29 17.4£ Ssd In Raid pcie 4.0 4-port M.2 Ssd Raid Expansion Car...png
    Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 09-34-29 17.4£ Ssd In Raid pcie 4.0 4-port M.2 Ssd Raid Expansion Car...png
    753.7 KB · Views: 25
System Name Personal rig & Folder
Processor R9 5900X (VRM-B2) @ 180W/160A/140A | Mfg Wk03/2022
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Thermalright PA120 w/ 3x P12, MX-6
Memory 2x16GB Crucial Ballistix 8Gbit Rev.E (DR) @ 3800CL15-18-8-17-34-54-540-1T @ 1.45v, 1900MHz FCLK
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Devil 6600XT @ C2800MHz/M2300MHz (Samsung) @ 192W TGP | MX-6, TP-3
Storage 1x SK hynix Gold P31 1TB (boot), 1x 2TB TeamGroup MP33 Pro, 1x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD 5900RPM
Display(s) 1x Gigabyte M27Q, 1x Dell 2007WFP, 1x Dell E152FPg
Case Phanteks P500A (non-digital) w/ 4x 140mm Arctic P14 PWM PST CO fans
Audio Device(s) FiiO E10K-TC (USB) -> beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (80ohm)
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Core RGB
Software W10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/machinelearning/ ~ https://hwbot.org/team/warp9_systems/
Didnt know they were still in business, thought they had ceased to exist.
Sparkle is now a part of TUL Corporation (like PowerColor, and I think VisionTek as well).

They've been making Intel Arc GPUs for a while now.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock through Kryosheet
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 40
They probably use the most fancy and overengineered fan control for these kind of things ever.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
This is basically a carbon copy of ASUS's Hyper M.2 PCIe card (including how the drives are angled) which has been around for literally forever:

And ASUS has already released a PCIe 5.0 version, so no idea why anyone would release a PCIe 4.0 card now.

Sparkle also entirely failed to fix the most annoying thing about this design, which is that it's taller than full-height (see how the PCB sticks up above the slot bracket)? That makes getting the slot screw in there an annoyingly difficult endeavour. If the drive mounts were tilted at, say, 35 or 40 degrees from the horizontal instead of the current 45, the PCB could be cut down to full-height - although a bit longer.

The extra fan is useless and dumb, they've very obviously just shoehorned it in there because there's space on the PCB and they want to appeal to people who don't understand how anything works. The fact that the shroud is cosmetic (versus the ASUS design, where it's a one-piece aluminium heatsink) makes it pretty much useless.

This is basically a carbon copy of ASUS's Hyper M.2 PCIe card (including how the drives are angled) which has been around for literally forever:

And ASUS has already released a PCIe 5.0 version, so no idea why anyone would release a PCIe 4.0 card now.

Sparkle also entirely failed to fix the most annoying thing about this design, which is that it's taller than full-height (see how the PCB sticks up above the slot bracket)? That makes getting the slot screw in there an annoyingly difficult endeavour. If the drive mounts were tilted at, say, 35 or 40 degrees from the horizontal instead of the current 45, the PCB could be cut down to full-height - although a bit longer.

The extra fan is useless and dumb, they've very obviously just shoehorned it in there because there's space on the PCB and they want to appeal to people who don't understand how anything works. The fact that the shroud is cosmetic (versus the ASUS design, where it's a one-piece aluminium heatsink) makes it pretty much useless.
I personally think Gigabytes add-in card is a lot better than either of these 2 products as they have integrated 2 thermal sensors/m.2 slot to control fan and its not much taller than PCI-e slot itself(as it has M.2 slots parallel to PCI-e slot). It also has been updated with PCI-e 5 version but havent seen either of those for sale in retail channel or its quite rare and only some unknown retailers sell it.

Why not use the card as a heat sink? Makes no sense using fans when there is plenty of room for a simple heatsink.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
My biggest concern with anything like this is that most fairly capable PC builds can't really use something like this, not without sacrificing the GPU due to lack of PCIe lanes. So unless people want to run this in 8x mode along with their GPU, this becomes a niche product for mostly "HEDT" only. As I've been saying for several years now, I think it was a mistake to bring the high performance and core count CPUs only to mainstream desktops, I'd rather they lowered the entry for HEDT instead, or had some overlap like in the Sandy Bridge-E days. I really miss those platforms, like X79/X99/X299 and the first gen Threadrippers. IO is a mess on current motherboards, and so many of them don't even support the full potential of their chipsets, even with top tier chipsets, like if you want to use the M.2s on the PCH, then you'll loose 2 or 4 SATA ports, or loose the 4x PCIe etc. And these motherboards costs more than HEDT motherboards used to cost…

I think many who considers such products are planning to use 2 or 4 (overpriced) consumer SSDs in RAID0 to boost performance, even though makes for only short bursts of high speed and terrible reliability. While it makes for great click-bait YouTube videos, it makes little sense compared to using a single proper high-end enterprise SSD (like e.g. Kioxia CM7-R/CM7-V), which can run circles around such a setup.

I personally think Gigabytes add-in card is a lot better than either of these 2 products as they have integrated 2 thermal sensors/m.2 slot to control fan and its not much taller than PCI-e slot itself(as it has M.2 slots parallel to PCI-e slot). It also has been updated with PCI-e 5 version but havent seen either of those for sale in retail channel or its quite rare and only some unknown retailers sell it.
And this is just a standard PCIe card right? So it should work on any kind of motherboard, provided it has bifurcation?
I got to ask, because even though anything PCIe should in theory work on anything PCIe, I know there are exceptions when it comes to "exotic" hardware, as not everything behaves 100% according to spec.

Why not use the card as a heat sink? Makes no sense using fans when there is plenty of room for a simple heatsink.
I don't have the maximum power draw of M.2 off the top of my head, but I've seen them as high as 11 W at least, so we're talking in the neighborhood of ~50 W for four of them. In a server/workstation build with airflow through it, a tiny heatsink with small fins will do that just fine, but in a typical desktop where this card would be placed below the GPU and probably have mostly static air, you would have to have a massive heat sink with long fins to rely on that passively. Or do what most motherboard and SSDs do now anyway, just slap a big metal blob on top of there, enough to let it absorb heat long enough to look good in benchmarks, but put any medium sustained load on it and it wouldn't be able to dissipate heat quickly enough and just throttle like crazy. :(
As you can see in the example Chaitanya provided in the post before you; if there is a tiny bit of airflow, a small heatsink can do just fine.

And this is just a standard PCIe card right? So it should work on any kind of motherboard, provided it has bifurcation?
I got to ask, because even though anything PCIe should in theory work on anything PCIe, I know there are exceptions when it comes to "exotic" hardware, as not everything behaves 100% according to spec.
Yep, storage reviews has done a review and they used a Lenovo PC for their testing. So all you need is a board with bifurcation support. Compatibility list on Gigabytes product pages(for both PCIe 5 version and PCIe 4) are quite wierd with one restricted only for AMD platforms while other hasnt been updated since 2019.

I find it a bit funny that they added a 2nd rear fan but didn't put any vent holes into the PCI bracket itself, which would help too.