• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

how bad(or how good) is the acer XG270HU 144hz today

System Name Lulze
Processor ryzen 7700X
Motherboard X670E Taichi
Cooling 420 AIO
Memory 32 go ddr ddr5-6000
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Trinity OC
Storage 980 PRO
Case CORSAIR 7000D
Power Supply CORSAIR HX Series HX1200
HI

My current and main monitor is an acer XG270HU that i bough in the rtx 2000 era and i wonder if i should keep it or change it

I am not at competitive gamer so response time is not that important. My current monitor is ok for that

But the image quality do not seem that great and an oled 4K tv (that i cannot afford) ,and even my laptop MSI GL65 1080P, seem to have a way better image that my main monitor.

should I change my monitor for a more recent one or keep my current one ? what is better between an IPS and OLED screen ?

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
IPS: color accurate, but low static contrast (black is gray ish) and prone to quality issues, like backlight bleed, while all IPS has IPS glow, which makes it sub par in dim lit environments - the poor blacks stand out and IPS glow becomes visible, you're basically looking at the masked backlight in blacks and you'll notice. For that use case, I would personally prefer VA, and VA has also come a long way, it doesn't smear as much as it used to, its also pretty color accurate now, and its not 'slow' either. Both IPS and VA benefit a lot from higher framerates and refresh rates, because of the way they display images in motion (they're always 'on', so motion resolution tends to suck, especially at 60 FPS and lower).

OLED: color accurate, infinite (pretty much) static contrast because pixels can individually turn off. Better in every way compared to both IPS and VA: lower and more stable G2G response across the entire color spectrum, better response times, less motion blur (more CRT like, because its not a canvas you're looking at, but again individually lit pixels much like CRTs, except much more refined), and therefore can provide a pleasant viewing experience at lower refresh rates comparatively. Another big advantage of the high static contrast is that you really don't need to put an OLED screen on high brightness. Colors always pop, the image is always vibrant, only your ambient lighting conditions influence it. Lower brightness viewing reduces eye strain immensely.

The drawback is image retention and many OLED monitors still suffer from piss poor technologies to counteract image retention: you need some sort of pixel refresher to keep the panel usable and it needs to do its cycle at set intervals. Rtings tested these and a lot of monitors, but also quite a number of non LG-OLED TVs are pretty poor at running these cycles as they should. Additionally, for QD-OLED monitors, there are marked differences versus WOLED screens (which LG makes), and they're not advantages. QD OLED can go brighter, but brighter pixels directly translate into more wear and shorter life; there is color fringing on text/hard contrasted edges because of poor subpixel matrix, and the black level of QD OLED is slightly elevated, so blacks, while still great, are not as black as with WOLED; this is likely directly connected to QD OLED's higher brightness capability.

If you ask me, in 2024, we're just not quite there yet with OLED for monitor use cases. Needs more time in the oven, its early adopter territory more than anything and there's a near guarantee every OLED monitor won't last as long as a comparatively priced IPS or VA, or even a much cheaper IPS or VA.

Worth a look, as the results keep evolving and lead to new conclusions.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Your monitor uses a TN panel, which is probably why image quality is noticeably worse. You can get a newer agile IPS 27" panel for around $250 - $300 nowadays and that's going to have vastly better colors and a 240 Hz refresh rate. Going 4K 144 Hz is also possible but more expensive.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
The drawback is image retention and many OLED monitors still suffer from piss poor technologies to counteract image retention: you need some sort of pixel refresher to keep the panel usable and it needs to do its cycle at set intervals.
This really is not true anymore for the vast majority of users and the latest models of OLEDs. from the major makers. So, we, as advisors, need to stop propagating these misunderstandings.

Yes, it can happen, but (1) unless you go with an entry level, no-name generic, the monitor WILL have effective built-in and automated countermeasures. AND (2) this was really a problem where the exact same image (or partial image) was constantly displayed for hours and hours on end, day in and day out. For example, In airports where flight departure and arrival status was displayed, certain words in column and row headings that never changed might have caused retention issues. Or in bars and lounges where CNN or ESPN logos were constantly displayed in the corner if the display, that caused problems with early generation OLEDs.

But constant image display is NOT "normal usage behavior" for typical computer users (or TV viewers).

But to that, even my 7 year old LG OLED monitor has integrated features to prevent logo retention, blue pixel issues and other retention problems. For example, when a logo (or other constant image) is detected, the monitor automatically and regularly shifts the logo a few pixels in different directions, thus preventing the same pixel from displaying the same thing all the time. This shifting is something I have never noticed, nor have I heard of any reports of people claiming they could see it either.

So it is time to let those warnings go. But don't believe me.

It's time to stop worrying about OLED monitor burn-in | Digital Trends

Why OLED monitor burn-in isn’t a huge problem anymore | Ars Technica

A quick note about that RTINGS.com test. It is very informative and I believe a good source to get an idea about longevity, device failures, and similar issues. But it is NOT a good indication of retention issues for the normal user. Why? Because again, it is not a realistic representation of "normal usage behavior".

For example, the test settings included,
RTINGS.com said:
brightness at max.

Each TV is on for a total of 20 hours per day on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday,
On Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, they're on for a total of 15.5 hours

displaying ... a live stream of the U.S. version of CNN

Who watches their TVs or views their monitors like that?

So, @cou60 - don't let the remote possibility of retention issues with OLED displays sway your purchase decision. It would be unfortunate and a mistake to dismiss a truly gorgeous display due to a problem that no longer exists. Base your decision on other factors like size, stand adjustments (my monitors MUST have height adjustment), viewing angles, resolutions, response times, ports/interfaces - and of course, price and warranty.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
This really is not true anymore for the vast majority of users and the latest models of OLEDs. from the major makers. So, we, as advisors, need to stop propagating these misunderstandings.

Yes, it can happen, but (1) unless you go with an entry level, no-name generic, the monitor WILL have effective built-in and automated countermeasures. AND (2) this was really a problem where the exact same image (or partial image) was constantly displayed for hours and hours on end, day in and day out. For example, In airports where flight departure and arrival status was displayed, certain words in column and row headings that never changed might have caused retention issues. Or in bars and lounges where CNN or ESPN logos were constantly displayed in the corner if the display, that caused problems with early generation OLEDs.

But constant image display is NOT "normal usage behavior" for typical computer users (or TV viewers).

But to that, even my 7 year old LG OLED monitor has integrated features to prevent logo retention, blue pixel issues and other retention problems. For example, when a logo (or other constant image) is detected, the monitor automatically and regularly shifts the logo a few pixels in different directions, thus preventing the same pixel from displaying the same thing all the time. This shifting is something I have never noticed, nor have I heard of any reports of people claiming they could see it either.

A quick note about that RTINGS.com test. It is very informative and I believe a good source to get an idea about longevity, device failures, and similar issues. But it is NOT a good indication of retention issues for the normal user. Why? Because again, it is not a realistic representation of "normal usage behavior".

So, @cou60 - don't let the remote possibility of retention issues with OLED displays sway your purchase decision. It would be unfortunate and a mistake to dismiss a truly gorgeous display due to a problem that no longer exists. Base your decision on other factors like size, stand adjustments (my monitors MUST have height adjustment), viewing angles, resolutions, response times, ports/interfaces - and of course, price and warranty.
Check out the detailed videos about this on Rtings and you will see its still a minefield. Its getting better, I agree though. Also, LGs seem to be doing best so far broadly speaking.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10

I wouldn't say that burn-in is no longer a concern for OLED.

RTing did find image retention in their tests and HardwareUnboxed did notice image retention as well under regular usage, in particular in the center of their screen from having two windows next to each other.

OLED monitors are not yet mainstream in the PC space and frankly there isn't enough data yet to completely exclude notifying people of the potential of an issue. We've only just got a decent crop of OLED monitors and it'll take at least 7 years to get a decent idea of how common burn-in will be on this generation of panels.

System Name Lulze
Processor ryzen 7700X
Motherboard X670E Taichi
Cooling 420 AIO
Storage 980 PRO
Case CORSAIR 7000D
System Name Main / HTPC / Server
Processor i5 14600K / Ryzen 5 2400G / i7 7700K
Motherboard Z790 PRO RS / B450M Mortar / Z270 IX Code
Cooling AS500 PLUS WH / Wraith Stealth / NH-D15
Memory 32GB 6000 C30 / 8GB 2666 C16 / 32GB 3000 C15
Video Card(s) GTX 780 (temporary) / iGPU / iGPU
Storage (OS) 1600X 118GB / V200 120GB / 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) Predator XB271HU / KDL-55W950B / VH238H
Case Eclipse P400S / LC13-BU / Define R5
Audio Device(s) Xonar U7 (HD 598) / Xfi Titanium (Azur 851A)
Power Supply Prime Titanium 750W / M12II EVO 620W / AXi 860W
is this one good ?
You’re a fellow Canadian there.

I just bought the QHD315 from Corsair for my best friend. It’s the IPS model. Liked the 3 years warranty and the solid stand. Great picture quality OTB and even better post calibration.

Can’t help you with the OLED version just wanted to say their « low end » IPS was already great.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I wouldn't say that burn-in is no longer a concern for OLED.
Who did? Not me. I chose my words carefully (even emphasized the important ones) so please read what I wrote carefully.

I specifically said, and stand by what I said, and that was,

This really is not true anymore for the vast majority of users and the latest models of OLEDs. from the major makers.

that RTINGS.com test...is NOT a good indication of retention issues for the normal user. Why? Because again, it is not a realistic representation of "normal usage behavior".

RTing did find image retention in their tests and HardwareUnboxed did notice image retention as well under regular usage, in particular in the center of their screen from having two windows next to each other.
:( RTing did NOT test under regular usage. And did you actually watch the HardwareUnboxed reviews for the LD OLED monitors designed for PC gaming? It would seem not

For example,
[Hardware Unboxed] LG C2 OLED Review

My bold underline added,
one of the best HDR gaming displays you can get

susceptible to burn with static content

Oh, and again, I specifically said "latest models". That does not mean monitors from 2, 3 or more years ago.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
:( RTing did NOT test under regular usage. And did you actually watch the HardwareUnboxed reviews for the LD OLED monitors designed for PC gaming? It would seem not
1. I'll have 100x more faith in prolonged longevity tests from RTings, an established site, than I do from anything coming out of what is essentially a Youtube channel desperate for clicks.
2. If you play the same game regularly, say, World of Warcraft 4-5 hours per day you will have a fixed UI not quite unlike the CNN bars in the RTings test. What their test does is exaggerate the factor of time, we're just seeing these TVs age faster than we would IRL. But the retention artifacts happen - even after short bursts of viewing - and if you don't have set intervals for a pixel refresh, you will see image retention. Its not up for debate - the tests show this. Again, look at those videos instead of being in tunnel vision mode. Now, image retention is not a 'burn in' per say, and pixel refresh fixes it most of the time. But there are many models where that refresh does not happen at set intervals. Another aspect of aging in OLED is brightness which goes down slowly after extensive pixel refresh cycles, and that is considering the sustained brightness on 100% white screen isn't amazing on OLED either - it could well fall below your personal limits due to aging.

Other display technologies age too. I'm not blind to that. The differences here are however that OLED is still quite expensive and is almost certain NOT to last as long as an LCD; OLED could develop retention in specific spots accelerating their path to the dust bin, but even if they don't, LCD (mostly) degrade in a different way that tends to translate to a longer period of usage.

I'm all for your stance that we shouldn't keep fear mongering about image retention in OLEDs, the tech does progress. But there are still many caveats, and it would not be a good thing to obfuscate those if we want the tech to keep improving. OLED still needs improvements despite being perfectly usable today. Its that simple.

But let's drop the subject here - I don't think OP came for a page full of discussion about this. I've tried to keep things to facts and facts alone, the decision is up to OP.

Last edited:
System Name Lulze
Processor ryzen 7700X
Motherboard X670E Taichi
Cooling 420 AIO
Storage 980 PRO
Case CORSAIR 7000D
i forgot i will also use the monitor for work, i heard OLED are not good for productivity, it's that true ?

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
You’re a fellow Canadian there.

I just bought the QHD315 from Corsair for my best friend. It’s the IPS model. Liked the 3 years warranty and the solid stand. Great picture quality OTB and even better post calibration.

Can’t help you with the OLED version just wanted to say their « low end » IPS was already great.
Well, to pile onto that, if this is the same stand/model other than the panel... the panel is an LG as found in the https://www.newegg.ca/p/N82E16824026351?Item=9SIA7BBJP76775

Still I would strongly advise reading at least one, two reviews on any model you'd buy. There can be marked differences.

i forgot i will also use the monitor for work, i heard OLED are not good for productivity, it's that true ?
Productivity often means desktop work which means many high contrast edges that will sit on screen for periods of time. It means accelerated image retention.
In terms of eye strain, OLEDs are great for productivity. So yeah :) Trade offs. If you earn money with this monitor I could imagine its easier to burn money on it / replace it in due time.

System Name Lulze
Processor ryzen 7700X
Motherboard X670E Taichi
Cooling 420 AIO
Storage 980 PRO
Case CORSAIR 7000D
Well, to pile onto that, if this is the same stand/model other than the panel... the panel is an LG as found in the https://www.newegg.ca/p/N82E16824026351?Item=9SIA7BBJP76775

Still I would strongly advise reading at least one, two reviews on any model you'd buy. There can be marked differences.

Productivity often means desktop work which means many high contrast edges that will sit on screen for periods of time. It means accelerated image retention.
In terms of eye strain, OLEDs are great for productivity. So yeah :) Trade offs. If you earn money with this monitor I could imagine its easier to burn money on it / replace it in due time.

how long will it's last if it's last less than 3 year that is expensive ?

i could get this, this is not oled but IPS is still better than what i have.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
2. If you play the same ... 4-5 hours per day you will have a fixed UI not quite unlike the CNN bars in the RTings test. What their test does is exaggerate the factor of time, we're just seeing these TVs age faster than we would IRL.
"IF"? :( I can play the "what if" game to counter virtually every and any scenario in any topic you can come up with. Including "If you play a variety of games, and perform a variety of tasks 4 or 5 hours a day, you don't have a fixed UI".

There, your example has just been countered and made moot. :rolleyes::kookoo:

But to your example, I say RTings test of 15 to 20 hours per day "IS" quite unlike 4 - 5 hours per day.

And yes, I'm pretty sure everyone understands the point of the test is to accelerate the factor of time. That's pretty obvious - not to mention they state it. :rolleyes:

Those tests are still simulations. And while they try to simulate real-world, they don't. Reminds me of the LED lightbulbs I put in my bathroom light fixture - the ones that claim through "engineering testing and probability analysis" that they will last 13 years at 3 hours per day, 7 days a week. Yeah right. I've had to replace 2 of the 4 since I bought them 2 years ago and mine are on less than 90 minutes (closer to 60). I had to replace other LEDs in my house too. Yes, they last longer than the incandescents they replaced. And definitely are much more efficient. But they cost a lot more too.

Or how scientific laboratory testing on rats shows if we humans eat the equivalent of 500lbs of sugar everyday for 10 years, we are likely to get diabetes - and rotten teeth.

Again, I have never denied that retention is still a possibility with OLEDs. But again, for most normal users and the latest models, the risk is not as bad as all the FUD out there suggests it is.

But yeah, let's drop the subject.

Ummm, where did you hear that? Got a link? I don't see how it could affect productivity - assuming it is properly adjusted. While OLEDs do have a bright display, other technologies can be adjusted to be brighter. So I don't see it causing strain that way (compared to other monitors). And the image quality of the OLED is gorgeous. So other than being distracted by a pretty display, productivity (that is, the amount of work you do) should not be affected.

HOWEVER, "IF" (there's that word again) your work involves near constant use of the same program (Word or Excel, for example, or filling out the same form all day long), that could pose a retention issue that might be distracting should you call up a different program and find those "ghost" images detract from your work. So in that sense, they might affect productivity.

But, as Vayra86 correctly noted, OLED monitors tend to be more expensive. So except, maybe, for professional photography or graphics design, I would expect most businesses would opt for a less expensive monitors that cut into profits less.

how long will it's last if it's last less than 3 year that is expensive ?
3 years? I see nothing to suggest any monitor will have that short of life span.

It is important to understand that even in extreme, abnormal conditions (like airport flight status monitors) these retention problems are NOT going to cause the monitor to stop working or even stop being usable. In RTing's test, reports of full failure are rare and typically attributed to something other than the screen's OLED technology itself. Power supplies, for example, fail.

System Name Lulze
Processor ryzen 7700X
Motherboard X670E Taichi
Cooling 420 AIO
Storage 980 PRO
Case CORSAIR 7000D
i have no link except reddit post, that why i am asking.

i am using excel and visual studio , MS access,
i will have Ghost image ? that a very big flaw. Ghost image will definily affect my productivity and my gaming session. OLED is not for me, i think IPS is better for me, i would even prefer an crappy old 1080P monitor than to deal with GHOST IMAGE.

IPS is cheaper as well

I did. The most prominent criticism for the Corsair IPS was bleeding. No big surprise for an IPS. It’s the first thing I looked for OTB but the unit in question was really neat. It also has quite an expansive gamut coverage for a sRGB.

My actual screen is circa GTX 1xxx era and is the Acer XB271HU - the upper end 1440P model with the G Sync module. This one has more bleeding than the Corsair and terrible colors OTB but RTings did review it back then and said it had a great potential when calibrated - which it does. I'm still highly satisfied with it and with its endurance as well, but the Corsair is a clear step above a panel for half the CAD price I paid back then. Of course it doesn't have the G Sync module but who cares about that nowadays. It was reviewed to do great for G Sync compatibility.

My friend has... well... bad sight, to keep things impersonal. He was still on 24" 1920x1200 (an Asus IPS 60Hz I gave him somewhere in 2016 to replace an old 21" 1080P TN he had). He was due for a change and I lent him my Acer for a couple of weeks - calibrated it for him of course - and made him do some reporting. Of course the refresh rate helped him a lot in gaming over the Asus, but still he found 27 inches not big enough to soothe him desktop wise - or even gaming wise. Started looking for 32 inches 1440P and made him test my screen at 1920x1080 to see if he'd suffer from the larger dot pitch. He couldn't tell a difference there, just liked everything being bigger on that resolution. So I went for the Corsair in the end. I had no problem personally with the PPI for a 32" 1440P albeit I do see the difference and ultimately prefer a finer resolution. For him, well it just changed his world entirely. He's happy and much relieved. And I was happy as well to get back my own monitor.

i have no link except reddit post, that why i am asking.

i will have Ghost image ? that a very big flaw. Ghost image will definily affect my productivity and my gaming session. OLED is not for me, i think IPS is better for me, i would even prefer an crappy old 1080P monitor than to deal with GHOST IMAGE.

IPS is cheaper as well
Well you're going a bit ahead of yourself there concerning OLED. But yeah IPS would seem more pragmatic for your case scenario.

Do note for your gaming that if you choose 4K resolution like the MSI, you might suffer framerate wise unless you have the latest higher end GPUs available - and depending WHAT you play obviously.

System Name Lulze
Processor ryzen 7700X
Motherboard X670E Taichi
Cooling 420 AIO
Storage 980 PRO
Case CORSAIR 7000D
I did. The most prominent criticism for the Corsair IPS was bleeding. No big surprise for an IPS. It’s the first thing I looked for OTB but the unit in question was really neat. It also has quite an expansive gamut coverage for a sRGB.

My actual screen is circa GTX 1xxx era and is the Acer XB271HU - the upper end 1440P model with the G Sync module. This one has more bleeding than the Corsair and terrible colors OTB but RTings did review it back then and said it had a great potential when calibrated - which it does. I'm still highly satisfied with it and with its endurance as well, but the Corsair is a clear step above a panel for half the CAD price I paid back then. Of course it doesn't have the G Sync module but who cares about that nowadays. It was reviewed to do great for G Sync compatibility.

My friend has... well... bad sight, to keep things impersonal. He was still on 24" 1920x1200 (an Asus IPS 60Hz I gave him somewhere in 2016 to replace an old 21" 1080P TN he had). He was due for a change and I lent him my Acer for a couple of weeks - calibrated it for him of course - and made him do some reporting. Of course the refresh rate helped him a lot in gaming over the Asus, but still he found 27 inches not big enough to soothe him desktop wise - or even gaming wise. Started looking for 32 inches 1440P and made him test my screen at 1920x1080 to see if he'd suffer from the larger dot pitch. He couldn't tell a difference there, just liked everything being bigger on that resolution. So I went for the Corsair in the end. I had no problem personally with the PPI for a 32" 1440P albeit I do see the difference and ultimately prefer a finer resolution. For him, well it just changed his world entirely. He's happy and much relieved. And I was happy as well to get back my own monitor.

Well you're going a bit ahead of yourself there concerning OLED. But yeah IPS would seem more pragmatic for your case scenario.

Do note for your gaming that if you choose 4K resolution like the MSI, you might suffer framerate wise unless you have the latest higher end GPUs available - and depending WHAT you play obviously.

i don't want ghost image, this is a big drawback for me, and i wonder why this is not a big drawback for everybody.

if my framerate suffer at 4K i will choose a 1440P monitor. can i use DLSS performance at 4K or should i stay at 1440P ?

i don't want ghost image, this is a big drawback for me, and i wonder why this is not a big drawback for everybody.

if my framerate suffer at 4K i will choose a 1440P monitor. can i use DLSS performance at 4K or should i stay at 1440P ?
It really largely depends on what you play and how much framerate is important for you. But 1440P is a wise choice to expand your desktop a good bit without needing so much GPU compute in gaming.

One of the best reviewed screen is the LG 850B. I saw the 27" 1440P on Amazon.ca while shopping for my friend for 550$ CAD - at that price it's a good deal as well.

A bit more expensive right now so I'd just shop some more to see.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
So a variety of programs. That's good.
i will have Ghost image ?
Probably not. Why? Because you use a variety of programs.

Remember, image retention is a problem ONLY for those who display the same image for hours and hours and hours on end. That is a "static" image. You just said you use a "variety" of programs. You do NOT display a "static" image. That is good.

See the problem you have created here @Vayra86 and @evernessince? :(

You have the OP so worried about image retention with OLED monitors, he has almost convinced himself, even though he uses a variety of programs, that OLED monitors should not even be considered here. That's what FUD and misinformation does. This is really sad. You have misled and done a disservice to the OP. :(

So a variety of programs. That's good.

Probably not. Why? Because you use a variety of programs.

Remember, image retention is a problem ONLY for those who display the same image for hours and hours and hours on end. That is a "static" image. You just said you use a "variety" of programs. You do NOT display a "static" image. That is good.

See the problem you have created here @Vayra86 and @evernessince? :(

You have the OP so worried about image retention with OLED monitors, he has almost convinced himself, even though he uses a variety of programs, that OLED monitors should not even be considered here. That's what FUD and misinformation does. This is really sad. You have misled and done a disservice to the OP. :(

Sorry but you are a bit obnoxious about this.

Not saying your part of the argument doesn't make sense. But you ARE pushing for OLED more than warranted to do the OP a good service.

If he cannot stomach any remanence, and without saying OLED will have it, they have a much higher chance to do so.

Just let your arguments fall where they may with the OP and with the rest of the crowd. That's how we get a good discussion.

Because OLED has a superior image in just about any metrics, and because as @Bill_Bright is trying to explain, it's NOTHING like a 100% occurrence.

So greatly superior image, if you get no remanence in use, is an argument for a choice of monitor, and if you have the dough to buy yourself a reputable one.

Others have just been warning you that the possibility is THERE - a bit more than they feel they should push it for YOU.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Sorry but you are a bit obnoxious about this.
Only for those who don't understand the facts - which apparently, and sadly, means you. :(

I am not pushing anything - except for the true facts for "current" technologies. No where did I ever suggest the OP should buy an OLED. Not once!!!!

I personally do NOT think OLED is a good choice for a "work" computer monitor since businesses have a responsibility to spend money wisely. And OLED monitors don't typically meet that criteria.

For home, personal use, that is different as home users can let personal preference and opinions weigh in their purchase decisions. Home users are often perfectly justified to spend money on things, just because we want to for aesthetics reasons or whatever. And that is perfectly fine AS LONG AS we don't neglect higher priority "obligations" - like due bills, our children's needs, etc.

That's how we got to get a good discussion.
No. The way we get a good discussion is by NOT degrading a thread with personal insults and criticizing another for their comments, as you just did. :(

Last edited:
System Name Lulze
Processor ryzen 7700X
Motherboard X670E Taichi
Cooling 420 AIO
Storage 980 PRO
Case CORSAIR 7000D
i am not sure what to choose, between 1440p and 4K and OLED or IPS

my GPU is struggling a bit at 1440p in certain heavy game, so 4K is probably to much, my PSU is probably not enough for SLI 2 GPU.

IPS seem to be the safest choice. if i forgot to turn off my screen, that will be bad for and OLED. IPS are also a lot cheaper. My laptop have an IPS screen and it's pretty good. yeah OLED is better but with my bad luck i will have burn in and ghost image.

hardware unboxed do not recommend OLED for work.

Only for those who don't understand the facts - which apparently, and sadly, means you. :(

I am not pushing anything - except for the true facts for "current" technologies. No where did I ever suggest the OP should buy an OLED. Not once!!!!

I personally do NOT think OLED is a good choice for a "work" computer monitor since businesses have a responsibility to spend money wisely. And OLED monitors don't typically meet that criteria.

For home, personal use, that is different as home users can let personal preference and opinions weigh in their purchase decisions. Home users are often perfectly justified to spend money on things, just because we want to for aesthetics reasons or whatever. And that is perfectly fine AS LONG AS we don't neglect higher priority "obligations" - like due bills, our children's needs, etc.

No. The way we get a good discussion is by NOT degrading a thread with personal insults and criticizing another for their comments, as you just did. :(
Yeah man...

You've been insulting everyone's intelligence by thinking yours is vastly more informed and superior. And making little faces all along when you were "caught in the act".

Your signature surely doesn't help one bit. The insult was a statement of fact, and personal is how it gets played when people do not entirely agree with your "facts". I could cry out the same from you but feel no need to. Nor does your response is ELEVATING this thread in any way.

But please keep at it if you will. People that will read the thread will FIND you are obnoxious all by themselves.

my GPU is struggling a bit at 1440p in certain heavy game, so 4K is probably to much, my PSU is probably not enough for SLI 2 GPU.

IPS seem to be the safest choice. if i forgot to turn off my screen, that will be bad for and OLED. IPS are also a lot cheaper. My laptop have an IPS screen and it's pretty good. yeah OLED is better but with my bad luck i will have burn in and ghost image.

SLI is dead just forget that.

IPS is a safe choice. OLED is a greater choice for image BUT the concerns are there for a good reason.

I don't really care what Hardware Unboxed recommend or do not recommend - they can't know what you'll get and to TBH it seems a bit too generalized an advice vs. real world use. As pointed out by some guy, it is not as direct a correlation to remanence as it's made out. It's just more prominent of one. And believe me, OLED is not the first time these kinds of warning are issued.

If it is really necessary I'll tell of a little story just for showing that you CANNOT get caught with buying an OLED that will show remanence in your use. Within a couple of weeks at most, your USE will show IF a monitor suffers from it. Then you have the warranty. My problem with the warranty is rather HOW it's being applied. Hence the little story I could add... which had nothing to do with OLED but with IPS indeed. It's not like any technology is a warranty of anything. The monitor can be faulty, or generally faulted in reviews, no matter the technology.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10

At the end of the day the choice comes down to your preference. If you feel like you are barely getting enough performance at 1440p then I would not go 4K.

Also, unfortunately SLI is dead so dual GPU is no longer an option. I mean you can still do it but it's not really supported by any games coming out nowadays.

It would lead to temporary image retention if left on for long enough but so long as their isn't a firmware bug or oversight in the monitor's design the pixel refresher should kick in to prevent any damage to the screen. That's kind of another thing though, you have to make sure that pixel refresher is running at the latest every 6-8 hours or screen-on time to prevent retention. It would be preferable to run it manually once in awhile as well.

But yeah, IPS is just a safe choice if you don't want to have to deal with that.

This is one of the reasons I haven't switched to OLED yet either. Text clarity is extremely important if you are working on the system or tend to read a lot.

System Name Lulze
Processor ryzen 7700X
Motherboard X670E Taichi
Cooling 420 AIO
Storage 980 PRO
Case CORSAIR 7000D
i could play at 4K with DLSS performance. i am not using DLSS for 1440P

i will take an IPS(i read alot ), but, i am not sure what model to choose.