• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

REVIVING OLD DISKS

In my studio I have storage galore. Old laptop hard disks live in USB-C boxes come in handy for backups etc. More recently USB-C boxes for M.2 NVMe SSD are available at low prices.

Running HDscan shows that old hard disks may have lots of LBA blocks that are > lowest read times. When red blocks surface its time to revive the disk.

SSD prices have fallen so much that I am pondering using them for backups. If not for the abundance of old hard disks.

To clean up hard disks you need Seatools or can use DISKPART in Windows. Disk Manager can identify the disk ID for a given unit. Replace x with the disk to be cleaned:

Open an elevated command prompt:
DISKPART
SELECT DISK x
CLEAN ALL
EXIT

The CLEAN ALL will write zeros to all logical blocks on a given disk. Hard disks and SSD are all the same and are wiped. Be wary that larger 12-14 TB disks can take upwards of 24 hours and larger disks can take 48 hours. Shingled disks are sluggish by nature so they also need an inordinate amount of time to clean.

I have some disks with over 30,000 hours on them and they still work. I use NAS boxes and when problems crop up I move files to a different NAS unit. This allows me to remove all of the disks and clean them up and try resilvering them.

Vendors have their own tools for SSD logic

Intel has withdrawn from the SSD market and their tools are no longer available. Tell that to my boot SSDs.

Last edited:
System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
In my experience, HDDs (esp. lower density ones) have 'indefined' lifespans.
So, what you're saying, makes sense to me.

NtM,
the full "CLEAN ALL" 0 write + bad sector sweep of a full/long format afterwards, makes for a good 'stress test' to ensure the drive's still in good working order.

Note: IIRC, some UEFIs include a "Secure Erase" Utility. I believe it can serve a similar function to SeaTools, DISKPART, etc. (in regards to a 'low-level' format / 0write)

Secure erase is usually only seen in server disks but writing zeros is quite adequate to clean data so even government can do it safely with laptops to be recycled.
The goal is to squeeze as much operating hours as I can from disks and SSD

Better rigs with Windows Pro have bitlocker but wiping these is no different than an unencrypted disk

A full format is not reliable enough compared CLEAN ALL to be sure a disk is operating safely

Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Secure erase is usually only seen in server disks but writing zeros is quite adequate to clean data so even government can do anything.
The goal is to squeeze as much operating hours as I can from disks and SSD
There's always RAID1/5, etc. for multiples of 'questionable' drives. Exceptionally poor RAID1 performance has been a good indicator of a drive being in worse health than SMART reports, too.
For AHCI (SATA/SAS) the mobo/card-level RAID or ZRAID would be my preference.
For NVME, I'd "Mirror"/"Parity" using Storage Spaces I've had 'luck' with it on unorthodox NVMe arrays and, have researched that it should be a 'lil lighter' on the CPU vs. (consumer-facing) VROC and AMD RAID

Keyboard Red Dragon K552
RAID 6 is tolerant of 2 disks failing but RAID needs all disks to be identical
"Need" is not really technically correct. It is however, absolutely "Good Practice".
1712104015994.png
At least, Synology recognizes mixed-drive RAID 6 :)

Though, there're "consequences" for running mixed drive(s).
Minimum, loss of array capacity and write amplification (if SSDs are in the mix, and not allotted as Cache by a controller, etc.)

Merely 'similar' or matching capacities is 'preferable' but, I've ran mixed-drive RAID on Intel SBs, RAID cards, and Windows RAID + Storage Spaces.

Last edited:
Its more fun with data center storage where disks are simply yanked and sold off cheap and larger disks are installed
I bought several disks this year to use in my NAS boxes

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11
Note: IIRC, some UEFIs include a "Secure Erase" Utility. I believe it can serve a similar function to SeaTools, DISKPART, etc. (in regards to a 'low-level' format / 0write)
Depends. The ATA/AHCI technically has two commands under the "Secure Erase" umbrella, one called "SECURE_ERASE" which should basically be an all drive zero and supported by all drives and vendors. The 2nd, less supported command "SECURE_ERASE_INSTANT" is usually seen on SEDs or drives advertising ISE capabilities. It's also incredibly common on modern SSDs. If available, it may be used, and in fact erases nothing more than something called the "MEK" (Media Encryption Key" theoretically making the data on the disk inaccessible.

What does the UEFI use? In my experience the answer to that is "fastest available" which almost always ends up being a MEK clear if available.

The reason this isn't just academic is that quantum computers can (at least in concept) easily regenerate a missing MEK. As their cost comes down in the future, it is something to be aware of. Instant Secure Erase may be instant, but it isn't really trimming anything or otherwise secure for the future.

NOTE: I may have butchered some of the ATA command names, its been a while since drive security terminology was a big concern for me.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Killdisk bootable does better for me than CMD clean, though it does take much longer.

If your tin hat is rusty you can write random data to a disk but writing zeros assures controller translation tables can be updated, the cache is separate from the translation tables which are stored on the disk media and loaded when the disk is powered up

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Hard disks and SSD are all the same and are wiped.

Secure erase is usually only seen in server disk
:( Ummm, sorry but both of those statements are totally wrong!

You don't "wipe" SSDs! The problem is, wipe is not effective at completely obliterating all the data on the SSD. This is because hard disks and SSDs are NOT the same! They do not use the same protocols to write to the disk.

SSDs use "wear leveling" and TRIM to "evenly" distribute and move data around so no one storage location is written to more often than the other locations. This ensures no one location reaches it's write limit before the others. This greatly extends the expected life of the entire SSD to many years, vs potentially several months. So not only is "wipe" ineffective on SSDs, it is pointless to use a wipe program on SSDs because there could still be sensitive data on it after the wipe program is run.

That takes us to the second totally incorrect statement. Secure erase is seen and is available to all SSDs, not just those used in servers. Samsung's Magician, for example, has the Secure Erase feature for EVERYONE who has a Samsung SSD. If you have a drive from another brand, check their website. Or there are several 3rd party partition programs that have a secure erase feature,

For more information on TRIM and wear leveling, read this: How to Securely Erase Your SSD Without Destroying It (makeuseof.com)

For hard drive, one pass of a wipe program is more than adequate, unless the FBI is specifically targeting you. Then do 3 passes.

"Full Format" does not effectively destroy all previous data. "Quick Format" barely destroys any data.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
System Name Prometheus
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling AIO Cooler Master MasterLiquid 360
Memory 32GB DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 OC Edition 12GB
Storage Samsung 970PRO 2TB, Samsung 990PRO 4TB, WD SN850X 2TB, Samsung 980PRO 2TB. WD GOLD HDD 8TB
Display(s) Corsair XENEON 32UHD144 32" 4K UHD gaming monitor
Case Cooler Master HAF
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE7
Power Supply Corsair AX850 Titanium.
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software W10-11 Enterprise- Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon Edition.
For SSD the best is indeed Secure Erase, after it is new as straight out the box. Used hours and TBW are not going to zero of course...;)

And for an older HDD, just write zero the the whole disk is more then enough, even FBI or anyone can't find anything back with just one pass. How i know this, from a Security Lab that did do test with this. Full or Fast format does not exactly remove all data, it is possible to recover it. For an HDD the best indeed One pass Zero filling. Be aware, with a big HDD this can literally take hours or even overnight. With as SSD Secure Erase is done in some seconds.

Oh really? I've seen that drive for good prices. But I noticed there were some bad reviews so steered clear. Is the sustained write any good?

With low filling a QLC drive can run in SLC mode and so last longer.
(3) Switching between SLC and TLC | TechPowerUp Forums

I have a 2TB TLC drive that I run mostly empty (less than one third full).

resilvering?

Resilvering is the term applied to server RAID boxes when new disks are installed. The controller recalculates the RAID values and starts using the replacement disk. Deepening on the CPU this can take several hours or so. Speed is governed by SATA speed limitations and disk capacity.

In larger shops servers may have 45 disks in a chassis so a row or 4 of servers can have a lot of disks. One vendor had a 4U rack mount server with 45 disks installed for $50,000. Any OS you want.

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
resilvering?
An old term referring back to antique wall mirrors that actually used silver to create the reflective surface. A glass pane was actually used to protect the silver and [hopefully] keep oxygen out to keep it from oxidizing/tarnishing. It was/is common to see these antique mirrors with dark, tarnished blotches in them. The process to repair these mirrors with shiny new silver is called re-silvering.

In a "mirrored" RAID array, when a new disk was installed to replace one that had failed, the process of recreating the "mirrored" image was called resilvering. Obviously, it has nothing to do with the metal, silver - other than the term.

I first heard the term used by old mainframers some 40+ years ago. I don't think I have heard it since.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I have learned something new

I started with an IBM System 360 with 64KB of memory and only tape for storage. The System 370 had hard disks and tape.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
SSDs use "wear leveling" and TRIM to "evenly" distribute and move data around so no one storage location is written to more often than the other locations. This ensures no one location reaches it's write limit before the others. This greatly extends the expected life of the entire SSD to many years, vs potentially several months. So not only is "wipe" ineffective on SSDs, it is pointless to use a wipe program on SSDs because there could still be sensitive data on it after the wipe program is run.
True, however SSDs use what's called Flash Translation Table that maps the LBAs or Large Block Addresses to the actual location of the data in the NAND flash cells. This is continuously updated as data is being shifted around in the SSD.

An SSD Secure Erase command not only wipes the Flash Translation Table effectively making it so that there's no mapping of LBAs to the physical location of the data in the NAND flash cells but it also sends a voltage spike to all NAND flash cells which wipes out any data contained in the cells thus setting all cells back to a state of 00 for MLC, 000 for TLC, and 0000 for QLC.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
True, however SSDs use what's called Flash Translation Table that maps the LBAs or Large Block Addresses to the actual location of the data in the NAND flash cells. This is continuously updated as data is being shifted around in the SSD.
Okay. So? First, I think you mean Flash Translation "Layer" not "Table". Either way, not sure the point of your "however". It does not change anything. The point I was making remains the same: You don't "wipe" SSDs.

Well, you can run a wipe on a SSD, but that will not achieve the desired goal of obliterating any and all data on the drive. That requires a secure erase program. Wipe programs remain in the domain of hard drives.

AFAIK all SATA and M.2 SSD and even hard disks all use translation tables to map LBA bocks to known good sectors. The LBA had to be expanded several times as disk capacity grew rapidly.

In reading a disk the call simply is the start LBA and the number of sectors desired. Old sectors were 512 bytes but now devices use 4096 bytes which calls for larger disk transfer areas in main memory.

So storage is block oriented while an operating system is file oriented

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I install Windows 11 through the UEFI which shows a command sequence before loading the cold boot loader and starts the OS.

This way the certificate is clear and I can see my operating system is Windows 11 as I am licensed for that

Recently I have been buying old server disks for my NAS boxes

HGST Ultrastar 12TB.png

Last edited:
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs, 24TB Enterprise drives
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
I install Windows 11 through the UEFI which shows a command sequence before loading the cold boot loader and starts the OS.

This way the certificate is clear and I can see my operating system is Windows 11 as I am licensed for that

Recently I have been buying old server disks for my NAS boxes

View attachment 342345
I have a few of those myself, about to buy 3 more.

I series servers were the pinnacle of stability and security, I missed the tape days but added RAID 5 and upgraded the RAM on a System 370 that wouldn't die. Eventually it got replaced with one of the hairdryer models against my advice, the secretary that was in the office with it demanded it or her be removed.