• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD "Strix Point" Mobile Processor Confirmed 12-core/24-thread, But Misses Out on PCIe Gen 5

AMD is doubling down on APUs. Maybe this is why they are possibly having second thoughts on the high end discrete client GPU market.
I don't see that. High end dGPU is not dead, it just has to wait for RDNA5. RDNA4's complex chiplet design is why RDNA4 high end was killed. It was taking too much time and effort to get working. It was much more complex than RDNA3. They decided not to spend the money and man hours getting it right as that would push further RDNA5 back which is already 12 months behind Blackwell. Also RDNA4 mid range is said to as strong as current RDNA3 flagships but a lot cheaper. If true N48 will sell up a storm at $500 max.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
So PCiE-5 continues to be a problem in 2024, so exactly what will bring gen 6+ to the consumer table when they (AMD & Intel) constantly find ways of keeping gen 5 out of products?

What's irrational with wanting lower prices? Does anyone here hate competition? :confused:

How many actually thinks "I just wish AMD got gone, even if it meant I had to pay twice the price for my next RTX!".
You didn't see the impossibility of this thinking so I'll explain. How can AMD compete to help drive down prices if everyone only wants to buy Nvidia? You have to actually buy AMD in order for Nvidia to drop prices. That's why its irrational.

Last edited:

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
You didn't see the impossibility of this thinking so I'll explain. How can AMD compete to help drive down prices if everyone only wants to buy Nvidia? You have to actually buy AMD in order for Nvidia to drop prices. That's why its irrational.
That's rationalizing. And not even the better kind.

They're a player in the market, they can influence it. And yes, if AMD would offer performance at a significant discount compared to Nvidia, AMD would see more sales (imagine that!). Why don't they do that? Because GPUs, as we have them today, are not price gauged (at the top), they're simply expensive to build.

Reactions: SL2
Processor AMD 7600x
Motherboard Asrock x670e Steel Legend
Cooling Silver Arrow Extreme IBe Rev B with 2x 120 Gentle Typhoons
Memory 4x16Gb Patriot Viper Non RGB @ 6000 30-36-36-36-40
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT MERC 319
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 1Tb NVME
Display(s) 3x Dell Ultrasharp U2414h
Case Coolermaster Stacker 832
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower PF3 850 watt
Mouse Logitech G502 (OG)
Keyboard Logitech G512
So PCiE-5 continues to be a problem in 2024, so exactly what will bring gen 6+ to the consumer table when they (AMD & Intel) constantly find ways of keeping gen 5 out of products?
What does PCI-E 5 offer to the enterprise.
Interconnect speeds! 4/800Gbps interconnections.
Storage density. 48 x x4 connected SSDs into a single or double U of space
Accelerator interconnects 4 or 8 x16 Accelerators in one chassis easily with space for storage/interconnects etc as needed.
The things like CXL etc on top of all this.

Where currently in the Consumer market are people really taking advantage of that.
PCI-e 5 SSDs are massively expensive,are hot,big power draw
GPUs are still at PCI-E 4.0
How many peope have >10Gbps internet/networks at home. How many are still on 1Gb switches/routers

PCIe 5.0 will bring advantages to consumers but its the server space at the moment that can really take advantage of it with ease.

SL2

How can AMD compete to help drive down prices if everyone only wants to buy Nvidia? You have to actually buy AMD in order for Nvidia to drop prices. That's why its irrational.
Everyone? That's a big if you didn't mention before. Also, since you've already mentioned two other types of Nvidia users you kind of contradict yourself by your own reasoning.
Besides, what a single customer wants to buy doesn't affect everyone's choice.

Your argument doesn't even need two brands. Lets say I want to buy a cheap HP laptop. What would happen if EVERYONE wanted to buy the same model?..
You can apply this logic to almost anything but in the end it doesn't work like that, fortunately.

How many laptop users really need a 12 core chip?

Are you saying you'll buy an inferior product from a company so that company can make more money and maybe one day sell the products for less? I bet AMD has a bridge they can sell you too.

I dont think you understand how prices actually work, but you have one word correct and that is compete. For prices to lower, then AMD and Nvidia need to compete instead of one being a little brother to the other. The same way AMD 'competed' against intel with the Ryzen lineup. Before Ryzen, AMD was certainly second fiddle to Intel, anyone who says otherwise has a strange bias to one corporation. Look how quickly AMD made high core count CPUs standard for computers. Those Intel 10 HEDT units were priced ridiculously because there was not competition from AMD.

For GPU prices to lower, then AMD will need to compete better with Nvidia. The big gap right now is DLSS, Frame Gen, and RTX performance. In those areas AMD is significantly behind in those areas. But that's not to say AMD makes bad GPU's, they are really good, but they cant 'compete' with Nvidia in several areas.

Lastly, GPU prices are not going to suddenly drop because AMD releases a great GPU. In fact, expect GPU prices to increase, and by a lot over the next several years. There is too much use for GPU's in AI and Nvidia and AMD will certainly cater to those markets. What will happen is the demand for GPUs will increase and with no more foundry spaces, the supply will remain the same.

AMD will be fine. They make great products, both GPU's and CPUs. While they are slightly behind Nvidia right now, it's not by a lot and AMD can make up a lot of ground in upscaling resolution with AI cores in future GPUs.

It's been stated numerous times, PCIe-3.0 is enough for majority of GPU's. My RX570 is running on PCIe 3.0 x8, due to iGPU using the other half. Games run fine and the card doesn't feel limited. Apart of me limiting FPS to 60. I don't see the need of GB/s transfers in PCIe 4.0 SSD's either. I'd prefer high 4KB Q1T1 random read/write. That's what is important in daily usage.

It's been stated numerous times, PCIe-3.0 is enough for majority of GPU's. My RX570 is running on PCIe 3.0 x8, due to iGPU using the other half. Games run fine and the card doesn't feel limited. Apart of me limiting FPS to 60. I don't see the need of GB/s transfers in PCIe 4.0 SSD's either. I'd prefer high 4KB Q1T1 random read/write. That's what is important in daily usage.
The RX570 is an older card and it does not need as much bandwidth. While I will agree, 3.0 speeds were enough for your GPU for a long time, but that has started to shift. Newer and high end GPUs move more data and they need more bandwidth, therefore the need for 4.0. 5.0 is all but useless for gaming GPUs today just like 4.0 has been useless unitl the last few years until GPUs can take advantage.

G777

Since the 12C SKU uses the same FP8 package as the single-CCD 7040/8040 series, the chart implies that there will be a 12C CCD using presumably 1-2 Zen5 plus 10-11 Zen5c
It's been pretty well established that they will be using 4x Zen 5 + 8x Zen 5c.

Considering there are not even good PCIe 4.0 SSDs out yet (waiting for 990 Pro / SN850X successors) this is a non issue.

Processor AMD 7600x
Motherboard Asrock x670e Steel Legend
Cooling Silver Arrow Extreme IBe Rev B with 2x 120 Gentle Typhoons
Memory 4x16Gb Patriot Viper Non RGB @ 6000 30-36-36-36-40
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT MERC 319
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 1Tb NVME
Display(s) 3x Dell Ultrasharp U2414h
Case Coolermaster Stacker 832
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower PF3 850 watt
Mouse Logitech G502 (OG)
Keyboard Logitech G512
The RX570 is an older card and it does not need as much bandwidth. While I will agree, 3.0 speeds were enough for your GPU for a long time, but that has started to shift. Newer and high end GPUs move more data and they need more bandwidth, therefore the need for 4.0. 5.0 is all but useless for gaming GPUs today just like 4.0 has been useless unitl the last few years until GPUs can take advantage.
PCIe 4.0 is still "useless" even now for GPUs and isnt "necessary" for SSDs in the consumer space.
A 4090 running on PCIe 3.0 loses single digit performance even at PCIe 2.0 is less than 10% worst case

How many of you here are going to really see/feel the difference a 4Gb/s SSD and an 8GB/s SSD.......... now when you consider that "sacrificing" things like this may actually give you an extra hour of battery life out of your laptop for a single SSD etc its more and more sensible.

So thinking that a piece of silicon designed with power constraints in mind it makes PERFECT sense to not include PCIe 5.0 as all you are doing is commiting power draw and heat for litearlly 0 benefit in situations this silicon would be deployed/used in.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
What does PCI-E 5 offer to the enterprise.
Interconnect speeds! 4/800Gbps interconnections.
Storage density. 48 x x4 connected SSDs into a single or double U of space
Accelerator interconnects 4 or 8 x16 Accelerators in one chassis easily with space for storage/interconnects etc as needed.
The things like CXL etc on top of all this.

Where currently in the Consumer market are people really taking advantage of that.
PCI-e 5 SSDs are massively expensive,are hot,big power draw
GPUs are still at PCI-E 4.0
How many peope have >10Gbps internet/networks at home. How many are still on 1Gb switches/routers

PCIe 5.0 will bring advantages to consumers but its the server space at the moment that can really take advantage of it with ease.
So you think consumers shouldn't have more than PCiE4? Ok, moving slowly away from the 640k is enough crazy person...

SL2

So you think consumers shouldn't have more than PCiE4? Ok, moving slowly away from the 640k is enough crazy person...
Nice weird jumping to conclusions.
It's not like consumers can't have it, just pick a CPU that got it! :rolleyes: Like Raphael, which makes me guess that Dragon range has it as well, tho I haven't looked it up.

There's no point in having PCIE 5 in EVERY CPU/APU (yet), just because it's possible.

Hakker

It's not a problem. It's irrelevant. Faster speed=more heat and more power consumption. Laptops are meant to be portable and power efficient. There is absolutely no reason why anyone should need a gen5 SSD in their laptop. Literally none. So why add design complexity when there is no reason to use it.
Also Gen 5 SSDs are useless in desktops as well. PCIe is going faster and faster to be more useful in datacenters and super computers. They are already busy with Gen6 and Gen7.

You don't even need Gen4 SSDs for that matter.

At this time yes PCIe 4 is more than enough for consumers. The only reason for it is actually Direct Storage that benefits from it and for that a PCIe 4 SSD is more than sufficient.

Consumers really have 0 need for PCIe 5.0 unless you want everything to use PCIe 4x connections. the RTX 4090 barely benefits from a PCIe 3.0 x16 connection over an 8x one. SSDs only for their copying and really how often do you need to copy massive files that you can't wait a few seconds longer for. It does nothing in speeding up level loading unless it supports Direct Storage which are at this time only Forspoken, Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Horizon Forbidden West, and Forza Motorsport.
Gen 5 just makes your SSD a power hungry beast. I mean 15 watt for writing is no joke and has nothing to do in a laptop. Gen 4 SSDs can work with a third of that power. a Gen 3 SSD hardly registers the 2watt mark.

With your quote standing I reckon you have a 400Gbit network running at home as well. Because well why stay at 1 gbit and your 5GHz wifi spot when there is also wifi 7. Not to mention have a 128 Core CPU because.... more cores and not to forget 2TB of RAM.
Maybe now you might understand where some of us are getting at.

Last edited:
Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
The only reason for it is actually Direct Storage that benefits from it and for that a PCIe 4 SSD is more than sufficient.
It's been demonstrated that even SATA SSDs benefit greatly from DS.

System Name Machine XV
Processor Dual Xeon E5 2670 V3 Turbo unlocked
Motherboard Kllisre X99 Dual
Cooling 120mm heatsink
Memory 64gb DDR4 ECC
Video Card(s) RX 480 4Gb
Storage 1Tb NVME SSD
Display(s) 19" + 23" + 17"
Case ATX
Audio Device(s) XFi xtreme USB
Power Supply 800W
Software Windows 10
It's been demonstrated that even SATA SSDs benefit greatly from DS.
isnt the main limitation is decompressing it rather than the drive speed.

I was thinking along the same lines.

The 7900XTX is the second fastest GPU ever made. Its hard to compete against emotion. There are a large number of Nvidia users that fall into three categories:

1. Cult followers - few but they actually exist.
2. Belief in anything negative even if untrue to always justify buying Nvidia.
3. And the worst Nvidia user - those who want AMD to compete in order to bring down prices of Nvidia cards so they can afford one. That’s a special kind of irrationality.

So AMD might go the Apple route and almost always bundle the GPU and CPU together. Maybe make a discrete card for the most popular price bracket (mid range) and save the rest of capacity space for Instincts.
LMAO. Meanwhile I’m here looking at the latest RTX game and XTX is number 15 in terms of fastest GPUs