• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ThrottleStop sets BD PROCHOT only after exit command

dalmark

Hello everyone, I encountered an issue with my CPU speed being stuck at 0.79MHz, so I tried using ThrottleStop to disable BD PROCHOT. However, to unlock correctly the CPU speed, I have to manually open the program and close it using the exit button (this workaround doesn't work if I terminate the program via the task manager). After performing this operation, I can freely open and close the program, and everything continues to work properly.
As a result of this problem, I am unable to correctly configure the program to start up automatically.

My laptop spec:
HP pavilion 15-p030nl
i5 4200U

EDIT: Every time I unplug and then replug the AC, the clock gets stuck again and I have to open and close the program.

Attachments

• Immagine.png
    Immagine.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Immagine2.png
    Immagine2.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
this workaround doesn't function if I terminate the program via the task manager
Solution - Do not terminate the program using the Task Manager.

I use the Task Scheduler to start ThrottleStop when Windows starts. If I want ThrottleStop to immediately exit, I would add a line to the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file.

ExitTime=5

Here is a guide that shows how to correctly setup the Task Scheduler.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/effective-clock-speed.293296/#post-4749675

If you are using some other method, ThrottleStop might not be able to find the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file so it might start up and not be set to disable BD PROCHOT.

If you are still having problems, attach a copy of your ThrottleStop.INI configuration file. What is the location of the ThrottleStop folder. I use C:\Program Files (x86)\ThrottleStop

I do not fully understand the problem so add a few more details.

dalmark

I do not fully understand the problem so add a few more details.

To be clearer, I'll attempt to explain the problem again, excluding the automatic startup via the scheduler for now. At system startup, when trying to manually launch the program, it's observed that the clock briefly increases for a moment but immediately returns to 0.79GHz. Closing the program using the 'Exit' button unlocks the clock, and at that point, I can freely reopen and close the program without any changes. So, it seems that the program, at his first launch:
  1. set BD PROCHOT off
  2. set BD PROCHOT on
    Then, upon pressing the 'Exit' button:
  3. set BD PROCHOT off
I'll add some other strange behaviors that occur when changing the power source (battery, AC). Starting the system directly on battery power doesn't result in the clock being stuck, so I don't need ThrottleStop.
Let's consider two scenarios of starting on AC power:
1. If I open and close the program: when disconnecting the power source, everything continues to work, but upon reconnecting it, I must open and close ThrottleStop to unlock the clock.
2. If I open, close and reopen the program: when disconnecting the power source, everything continues to work, but upon reconnecting it, simply closing ThrottleStop is enough to unlock the clock.

From this situation, it appears that in my case, the correct deactivation of BD PROCHOT only occurs upon pressing the 'Exit' button. Additionally, my PC, when changing the power source from battery to AC, reactivates BD PROCHOT, so I have to repeat the procedure to deactivate it.
I hope this is clearer now. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• ThrottleStop.txt
    2 KB · Views: 14

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
In ThrottleStop if you make a change to the BD PROCHOT setting, you have to push the Save button so this change is saved. Pressing the X gadget in the top right corner of a Windows application tells the application to exit without saving any of the changes. All Windows apps are supposed to work this way.

reactivates BD PROCHOT
The other problem you are having is your laptop is reactivating BD PROCHOT after ThrottleStop disables this. I only found out about this problem a few months ago. The latest ThrottleStop beta version has a feature so if you use ThrottleStop to disable BD PROCHOT, it will also lock this setting so it will be impossible for any other software to turn BD PROCHOT back on. I think this new feature will take care of any and all of the BD PROCHOT issues you are having.

I have not publicly released this new version. I will send you a download link if you are interested in giving it a try. ThrottleStop.exe is never signed in the early beta releases so some nanny software might complain. I have been running the latest beta version for months without any issues. If you really need this feature but are afraid to run beta software, I will try to release this next week with a signed version of ThrottleStop.exe

dalmark

In ThrottleStop if you make a change to the BD PROCHOT setting, you have to push the Save button so this change is saved. Pressing the X gadget in the top right corner of a Windows application tells the application to exit without saving any of the changes. All Windows apps are supposed to work this way.

The other problem you are having is your laptop is reactivating BD PROCHOT after ThrottleStop disables this. I only found out about this problem a few months ago. The latest ThrottleStop beta version has a feature so if you use ThrottleStop to disable BD PROCHOT, it will also lock this setting so it will be impossible for any other software to turn BD PROCHOT back on. I think this new feature will take care of any and all of the BD PROCHOT issues you are having.

I have not publicly released this new version. I will send you a download link if you are interested in giving it a try. ThrottleStop.exe is never signed in the early beta releases so some nanny software might complain. I have been running the latest beta version for months without any issues. If you really need this feature but are afraid to run beta software, I will try to release this next week with a signed version of ThrottleStop.exe

Hi, I tried out the beta version you sent me, and it solved the issue with the initial startup. Now, when I turn on the PC, I can have the clock unlocked without the need to close the program. However, when switching from battery to AC, the clock gets locked again.
At this point, simply restarting the program doesn't resolve the problem. I have to close it, open it, and then close it again to unlock the clock.
Fortunately, this doesn't pose a problem for me since I can set up automatic closure as you indicated earlier.
Finally, to cover both the system's initial startup and the scenario where I disconnect and reconnect the PC's power supply, I've created two tasks:
  1. On system startup, launch the program (with automatic closure).
  2. When the transition from battery to AC power is detected, launch the program (with automatic closure).
Thanks again for your help!