• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD to Discontinue Windows 10 Support for its Ryzen 9000 "Strix Point" Mobile Processors

SL2

(What good are icons without titles?)
Depends on who you ask, and how you use it. I personally hate this whole thing with a passion, to me this is what any new start menu is to others.

"Oh you don't want to group your icons? Well then you MUST have titles. Oh and we eradicated the registry setting because we know what's good for you."

Two clicks instead of one. Two clicks instead of one. Two clicks instead of one. Two clicks instead of one. Two clicks instead of one.

Task bar groups can go fuck itself. (NOT Wirko!)

My rant is finished now.

For now.

- But SL2, you can haz Alt-tab, or windows-tab, etc?

I know, thank you.

SL2

Lol yep. If they are both the same might as well pick the newer one that is free and continues to get support.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the vast majority of Windows laptop buyers keep the variant it came with, or maybe do a reinstall at the most.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
We can hate this move, but it makes sense, as these laptops will come with Win 11/12 out of the box anyway. I can't imagine anyone getting a brand new laptop with Win 11 or 12 license and go to the trouble to downgrade to 10.
Consumers won't care, but enterprises with restrictions on what software they can run (government, military, finance, medical, national infrastructure etc) will potentially need to stick with a specific version of W10, possibly even LTSC-derivatives.

Larger-scale enterprises may also have a unified rollout of one OS with vetted or in-house applications written specifically for that OS. The 100% guaranteed functionality of those in-house applications is far more important than a few tweaks to the UI and a scheduler that takes better advantage of heterogenous CPU architecture.

Lastly, you have smaller business who treat upgrading their OS and in-house documentation, potentially having to train staff on the new OS as an unnecessary burden to be skipped as often as possible. If a new OS version doesn't bring any financial advantage to the organisation, why should they invest man-hours and money on the upgrade just to appease Microsoft? Most SMBs have a core suite of applications that aren't web-based and chances are good that they'll run on any OS - some of the biggest software vendors still support Windows 8! Everything else typically runs in a browser, which is practically its own OS and cuts Windows out of the equation entirely.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
Oh you don't want to group your icons? Well then you MUST have titles.
Ah I see the problem now, I just never tried that. So it's the same behaviour as in Win 7, and same as in Win 10 since 2017.

Two clicks instead of one.
You can save the first click by pointing the cursor at the icon and waiting 0.3 seconds for window previews. But given the reliability of the UI, you may need to wait 10 or 30 seconds.

But SL2, you can haz Alt-tab, or windows-tab, etc?
More weird stuff ... in the Alt-Tab list, Excel documents are always at the end of the list, even if they are the most recent that you switched to.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470-Pro
Cooling bequiet! Dark Rock Slim
Memory 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 4 TB Lexar NM790, 12 TB WD HDDs
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty
Power Supply Seasonic X-Series 560W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Glorious GMMK
Exactly, just pick W11, it's almost the same.

Lol yep. If they are both the same might as well pick the newer one that is free and continues to get support.
The thing is, they're not the same. Internally, there's a lot of similarity, but the Win11 UI is very different and leaves a lot to be desired. Even after all this time. *That's* what people are complaining about. Well, that and the ludicrous system requirements.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
Stupid decision. It only proves that they don't have a software division.

Don't blame AMD for W10 reaching EOL.
When Windows 10 is still used by many, you support it, at least for a year and grab market share from those who intent to buy a laptop with no OS or a laptop with Windows 11, only to be able to downgrade it to Windows 10. It doesn't matter if going from 11 to 10 is right or wrong, clever or stupid. You want to increase your market share? You support Windows 10 with at least one fully working driver.

Last edited:
It doesn't stop users from installing Win10 though, people got around the TPM requirement & this is also kind of a non issue. How many companies supported XP for years even after it went EOL?

Having said that official support would've been nice.

SL2

Ah I see the problem now, I just never tried that. So it's the same behaviour as in Win 7, and same as in Win 10 since 2017.
W7 had the registry setting, set and forget. No problem.
You can save the first click by pointing the cursor at the icon and waiting 0.3 seconds for window previews. But given the reliability of the UI, you may need to wait 10 or 30 seconds.
Yeah, I don't need that. Same goes for previews, I set them to like 5 seconds so I don't have to see all the bullshit flashing around. But then it breaks anyway after a couple of days and set at 0 seconds, and that's when I reach for my revolvrestart button.

As I'm not using a 240p display, I have room for all the icons. This works for me, and I can see how it doesn't for others. If I had the same program x20 then yes, I'd need some guidance to which is which.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Software Oldwin
Windows 7, then 7 years old, could not be installed on my Skylake system in 2016. Mobo and notebook manufacturers were helpful and provided USB 3.0 drivers and instructions for several sorts of workarounds, no complaints here. But out of the box, with USB install media and an USB keyboard, it didn't work.

Exactly, just pick W11, it's almost the same.
It doesn't work with TMP disabled, it doesn't work without Microsoft account. And it is as ugly as MacOS.

What exactly do you expect? W10 will be discontinued within a year of this launch. WTF can AMD do about that? :rolleyes:

Don't blame AMD for W10 reaching EOL.

Don't blame MS for ending W10 after TEN years.

Blame MS if you hate W11.

LTSC, yeah, is there even a legit way to run that for a consumer?

I'd guess no, so why would AMD care here?
I blame nadela for ruining Microsoft.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Software Oldwin
When Windows 10 is still used by many, you support it, at least for a year and grab market share from those who intent to buy a laptop with no OS or a laptop with Windows 11, only to be able to downgrade it to Windows 10. It doesn't matter if going from 11 to 10 is right or wrong, clever or stupid. You want to increase your market share? You support Windows 10 with at least one fully working driver.
Microsoft could just abandon Win 10 after 10 years and never make another OS again - and there would be less outrage among DIY enthusiasts than there is now.

And MS could totally survive that. SQL Server and Exchange for Linux, Office 365 and other services for home and business users - that's a lot of things to make a lot of money from.

We can hate this move, but it makes sense, as these laptops will come with Win 11/12 out of the box anyway. I can't imagine anyone getting a brand new laptop with Win 11 or 12 license and go to the trouble to downgrade to 10.
I bought a tablet with Windows 11. I wanted to try it, but it refused to work without connecting to internet. So without a try, I formatted C drive and installed Windows 10.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I would love to go Linux and many here do.
My feeling is that Windows is propped up by two crumbling paradigms:
  1. Windows gaming
  2. Massive, ageing productivity suites written for Win32 that either don't have Web-based variants, or whose web-based variants are too cut-down and incomplete to replace their Win32 parent suite.
Steam Deck is early, yet highly-successful proof that you don't need Windows to run Windows games. Proton and Vulkan can happily run DirectX and Win32 code, sometimes faster than Windows (burdened by its 200 background services, 500 running background processes etc). As for productivity, Every year that goes by I see more and more of what people use all day every day moving to web platforms. What started as a "lite" web-based version that was just intended for ease of reviewing/presenting on low-powered portables has developed into more robust and capable miniature versions that do 50% of the full suite, and that 50% is the only 50% that most people will ever need.
  • Google was always web-based.
  • Microsoft has prioritised it for the last half-decade.
  • Adobe, Autodesk, Oracle are firmly mid-transition.
  • Even steadfast Win32 diehards like Dassault are slowly creating web-tools that offer partial functionality, which means it's only a matter of time.
  • I even see accounting and payroll systems being hosted by a provider as the default, best option now.
How long until there will be nothing left that needs Windows? My guess is 10 years, unless Microsoft themselves radically change the concept of what Windows actually is.

Last edited:
Actually more than gaming it's the applications, there's so many on windows that have nothing equivalent on Linux or Mac. Although for me it's mostly system utilities.

I personally think it's a push from Microsoft for the CPU & GPU manufactures, Both Intel and NV will follow it as well.

Microsoft is done with people delaying the Windows upgrade and try to use it's power to force the Hardware makers to not support older softwares to force users to always use the newest Windows version.

I blame Microsoft for this, and I blame them as well as the main reason people prefer Windows 10 over 11 as well, Microsoft's is not doing what customers wants, they do what they want.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Not to mention LTSC has NEVER guaranteed forwards compatibility with new hardware.

You all brought this upon yourselves for being luddites, if the industry hadn't forced people's hands they'd still be using Windows XP today. Just look at the Windows 7 holdouts, clinically afraid of change.

Since Windows is now designed to be kept current at any cost, you also get no say about all of its undesirables unless you stop using it altogether. And it's all your fault for claiming to be proud to run a 15 year old unpatched copy of Windows 7 with Windows Update stripped out of it.

But those leaving Windows aren't getting Linux PC's. They're buying Macs. The rest is unwilling to learn anything else and just accept their fate.
Let's not blame the consumer for MS's greedy business practices.

Processor Core i7-12700
Motherboard MSI B660 MAG Mortar
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB (2x16) DDR4-3600 CL16 @ 3466 MT/s
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800
Storage Too many to list, lol
Display(s) Gigabyte M27Q
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Too many to list, lol
Keyboard Membrane, baby
Software Win10, Mint, Fedora
Actually more than gaming it's the applications, there's so many on windows that have nothing equivalent on Linux or Mac. Although for me it's mostly system utilities.
Probably the main thing I miss from Windows is HWINFO. There's nothing like it on Linux. Sure, Linux has various methods to monitor hardware sensors; Psensor is a decent option for basic temperature readings; Smartmontools is great for storage; KDE Plasma can give you a nice at-a-glance summary via a desktop widget, and Linux has surprisingly effective NVIDIA and Radeon control panels--but there's no all-in-one HWINFO-like package in traditional application form. I guess you could use something like a NetData dashboard to replace HWInfo, but this is sort of like swatting a fly with a ballistic missile.

For just about every other task, Linux has an alternative that is at least loosely competitive, as far as I can tell. In some cases, the Linux alternative is better, IMO. Microsoft has itself recently made gestures that tacitly admit a kind of admiration for aspects of Linux's design--winget probably being the most relevant for people on this forum. Chrispy's spot on here; to the extent that Linux lags in productivity, it lags because there are specific proprietary ecosystems that are still confined to Windows, but that objection loses prominence as more work migrates to the cloud. The main holdout that I hear about is Adobe's software suite, but for most consumer use cases, the lack of Adobe on Linux shouldn't matter. Businesses and hardcore hobbyists are the ones who can't afford the trouble and the risk of swapping from Adobe to open source alternatives.

Where Linux really suffers is in the realm of approachability. That is largely a problem with Linux's community, and thus it may prove unsolvable. The product gets better every day, but learning the product, or solving routine issues with it, sometimes feels like a psychic battle against a horde of anti-social neckbeards.

SL2

I blame nadela for ruining Microsoft.
I dunno, he uses the word "synergy" frequently, while simultaneously measuring said synergy with his hands, so I guess he must be awesome. /S

It doesn't work with TMP disabled, it doesn't work without Microsoft account.
Those are pretty easy to circumvent, right?

I personally think it's a push from Microsoft for the CPU & GPU manufactures, Both Intel and NV will follow it as well.

Microsoft is done with people delaying the Windows upgrade and try to use it's power to force the Hardware makers to not support older softwares to force users to always use the newest Windows version.

I blame Microsoft for this, and I blame them as well as the main reason people prefer Windows 10 over 11 as well, Microsoft's is not doing what customers wants, they do what they want.
Nadela wants to do with Windows what he did with Windows Phone. He is not interested in operating system. He wants to force users to switch to Linux, so Microsoft can focus on clouds and AI.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Ocean Plastic Mouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
Let's not blame the consumer for MS's greedy business practices.

Nah, this one is literally on the holdouts' check. The sole reason they turned Windows into a rolling release OS is to shorten the useful lifespan of each release so that these same people wouldn't expect 15-20 year old operating systems to be supported. Which is foolish because now they're clinging onto LTSC releases instead, and will continue to demand software developers to support these. The stroke of genius here is that technically, no consumer using an Enterprise IoT LTSC cut of WIndows is using a legal copy, because it's not made available to end users, so software and driver developers have no obligation to provide long-term support for these systems.

I get it that love is no fun with protection, but the kind of Trojan you'll be seeing isn't the one that comes in a pack when you're running an unpatched, 15+ year old OS, and this has very real implications on the health of the internet and the network at large, this willful negligence costs billions to businesses annually.

the kind of Trojan you'll be seeing isn't the one that comes in a pack when you're running an unpatched, 15+ year old OS
That sounds way over the top, your avg internet "illiterate" person can get infected just as easily on win11(or linux/mac) as they can on win7 not to mention they generally don't run good(paid?) security software anyway.

Probably the biggest issue is with the pace of change, I know I've seen more change in my lifetime over the last 10 years than the 15-20 before that. The change is even more jarring for old(er) people & yes going to touch UI based elements is a major part of it.

Corporations should start catering towards the less tech inclined than pushing teen centric diarrhea like Tiktok on everyone else!