• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

FATFrequency Scarlet Mini In-Ear Monitors

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
The Scarlet Mini is FATFrequency's latest IEM and part of its impressive Maestro series of earphones which goes for a deliberate V-shaped tonality. While there is enough bass to meet everyone's needs and then some, the Scarlet Mini has relatively clean mids and impressive highs thanks to some innovative engineering, to be more than a 1-trick pony.

Show full review

System Name Multiple desktop/server builds
Processor Desktops: 13900K, 5800X3D, 12900K | Servers: 2 x 3900X, 2 x 5950X, 3950X, 2950X, 8700K
Motherboard Z690 Apex, X570 Aorus Xtreme, Z690-I Strix
Cooling All watercooled
Memory DDR5-6400C32, DDR4-3600C14, DDR5-6000C36
Video Card(s) 4090 Gaming OC, 4090 TUF OC, 2 x 3090, 2 x 2080Ti, 1080Ti Gaming X EK, 2 x 1070, 2 x 1060
Storage dozens of TBs of SSDs, 112TB NAS, 140TB NAS
Display(s) Odyssey Neo G9, PG35VQ, P75QX-H1
Case Caselabs S8, Enthoo Elite, Meshlicious, Cerberus X, Cerberus, 2 x Velka 7, MM U2-UFO, Define C
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modius + SMSL SP200, Grace DAC + Drop THX AAA, Sony HT-A9, Nakamichi 9.2.4
Power Supply AX1200, Dark Power Pro 12 1500W
Mouse G Pro X Superlight Black + White
Keyboard Wooting 60HE, Moonlander
VR HMD Index, Oculus CV1
I regret not trying these at canjam. My friend tried them and didn't like them that much so I didn't bother waiting to try them. I ended up only demoing the grand maestro and fell in love. Who knows how long it'll take them to fulfill my ciem order though. I didn't realize they were so far behind on orders until later.

Reactions: VSG

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I regret not trying these at canjam. My friend tried them and didn't like them that much so I didn't bother waiting to try them. I ended up only demoing the grand maestro and fell in love. Who knows how long it'll take them to fulfill my ciem order though. I didn't realize they were so far behind on orders until later.
I'm sure you will like the Grand Maestro a lot. Hopefully you won't have to wait much longer.

They look amazing and seem solid.

I thing I'd like to change about the IEM game though it to move from these two pin connectors to the four pin connectors that lock down more. Breaking off a two pin and then having to cross ship the fucker is common. It's not solid. They can (and probably at one point will) break off into the IEM. And the internet advice of trying magnetic stuff or super glue is so horribly bad you should not do it! Any reputable company is going to not charge you for the pin extraction fee but it takes a long ass time with ChiFi. The MMCX connectors are vastly better in this but often break down as the force in the insert and removal breaks it down in the IEM again. Of course a good company will fix it.

The best is the four pin twist down that comes with crazy high end items like JHarvey or Empire ears at their top end. Granted those guys sell cables at a start of 250 and then raise it up to 1000+ quick for their IEMs but this could be reduced in cost easily and keep the good connector. Never seen an issue with those.

Reactions: VSG
Is there any reason why Singapore-based brands are so cagey about the technology that goes into their IEMs? Chinese brands seem to go the opposite way.

I took a look at the FATFrequency website. The blurb for the optional Scarlet Mini cable says: "Upgrade your set with our Custom-made SPC cable to enhance the headroom and transiency of your mixes"

I wonder if the team that created the IEM and cable really believes such audiophile spiel, or maybe they outsourced the PR.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Is there any reason why Singapore-based brands are so cagey about the technology that goes into their IEMs? Chinese brands seem to go the opposite way.

I took a look at the FATFrequency website. The blurb for the optional Scarlet Mini cable says: "Upgrade your set with our Custom-made SPC cable to enhance the headroom and transiency of your mixes"

I wonder if the team that created the IEM and cable really believes such audiophile spiel, or maybe they outsourced the PR.
If I had to speculate, which I already did in the review, it is more likely because these new brands are actually developing new tech whereas most others tend to go with an OEM factory.

Thank you! That makes so much sense. Not only can I not imagine every Chinese IEM manufacturer running its own factory, I doubt whether they could support their own independent electro-acoustic R&D laboratories and staff them with qualified engineers. China is a industrial power with almost unlimited resources, but surely there's a limit.

Now that I come to think of it, when the first batch of Chinese planar IEMs hit the market, competitors were insisting that their drivers were original, as evidenced by the differences in size. 14.2mm has to be different from 14.1mm or 14.3mm, right?

It would be fun if reviewers could identify the OEM components and emphasize the differences that may or may not affect the sound. Wishful thinking on my part, I know. :)

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Thank you! That makes so much sense. Not only can I not imagine every Chinese IEM manufacturer running its own factory, I doubt whether they could support their own independent electro-acoustic R&D laboratories and staff them with qualified engineers. China is a industrial power with almost unlimited resources, but surely there's a limit.

Now that I come to think of it, when the first batch of Chinese planar IEMs hit the market, competitors were insisting that their drivers were original, as evidenced by the differences in size. 14.2mm has to be different from 14.1mm or 14.3mm, right?

It would be fun if reviewers could identify the OEM components and emphasize the differences that may or may not affect the sound. Wishful thinking on my part, I know. :)
Some do disassemble IEMs to see what the components inside are but that's the exception to the norm for obvious reasons given you no longer have the IEMs for future comparisons.