• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Alphacool CORE 1 CPU block - bulging with danger of splitting?

I examined Alphacool CORE 1 CPU block which I got a few weeks ago directly from the manufacturer, the block package has a little round sticker on it indicating, that the block may have been made in January 2024.

I inspected the block using my ink method described here:

How to check flatness of CPUs and coolers - INK and OPTICAL INTERFERENCE methods | TechPowerUp Forums

and found out that the block has an extremely strong bulge in the middle:

alph1.jpg

After inspecting it closer I found, that the block surface is deformed along the water channel cuts, you can see that here:

alph4.jpg

Especially on the outer edges the change of shape is so notable, that I fear the the block may split in those areas. This is obviously caused by the water channels being cut very deep and leaving little material to maintain mechanical integrity of the base. Another cause is a thick rubber sheet stuffed under the base, which has marks on it proving that it is subjected to high pressure.

alph5.jpg alph6.jpg

I tried removing the sheet and running the block without it. The bulge disappeared, but I could not judge the flatness because of the raised parts in the corners:

alph7.jpg

In any case, the paste imprints after removing the block from the CPU look good:

alph8.jpg alph9.jpg alph10.jpg

Compare that to the original imprints of the bulging block:

alph11.jpg alph12.jpg alph13.jpg

You can see a thin layer of the paste just in the area of the bulge, and very thick layer of the paste especially on the right ride.

I performed a test with heat load of 253W. The temperature under the same conditions (average over all cores) was 68-69°C with the original bulging block and a degree higher with the rubber sheet completely removed and better block to CPU contact. Removing the rubber sheet may have caused some water to bypass the cooling channels and flow above them.

I am convinced that with the rubber sheet that is thinner and will not cause so extreme pressure build-up under the base and bulging and a bit shallower water channel cuts improving mechanical base integrity the performance of the block would be close to the same as of the current version of the block, which is bursting at the seams.

I noticed that the block with no other signs of use had such bubbles under the protective foil, that happen when you remove the foill and return it. Is somebody in Germany inspecting the blocks when they arrive from the manufacturer, if they are not close to splitting - you could recognise it by how sharp those deformation edges on the surface would appear.

Have you heard about a case when this block split?

Is my block a lemon, or are all these blocks like this?

If they are intended to be made this way, I really do not think it was a good idea.

Last edited:

ir_cow

Staff member
Check out the IHS and you'll see that is has a slight concave to it. This is why a lot of blocks have a bulge.

If you really want it flat. Sand it down with 2000 Grit.

Well, IHS on my CPU is bulging out - it is mounted with an optional mounting frame.

If you tried to grind this block flat, you would probably end up opening some water channels. The remaining material on the base is so thin, that the block deformes along the water channel cuts. You can clearly see it in the second photo.

You need to tune the thickness of the rubber sheet to make this particular block flat, or to reduce the amount of curvature. Removing it completely does not seem to be the best solution - you can see in the paste imprints without the rubber sheet that in the middle there is a bit more paste than at the edges - the block without any rubber sheet is probably a little bit concave.

BTW I do not think that this sheet needs to be made from rubber, some thinner plastic sheet would probably work just fine.

Last edited:
I received the information from Alphacool:
... that the copper plate is formed to the outside (convex) is normal and intended. Our water blocks are designed to use with the original ILM and socket. If you are using a mounting frame the water block can´t be mounted as intended and is not working properly. From the photos on your post, I can´t see any problems with the water block and it is made as intended. Please use and mount the water block as written in the manual on the original ILM of your socket without a mounting frame.

It also seems they have no plan of making a frue flat block - my question about this was left unanswered.

The good performance of this block is of course partly caused by the choice of making the block base really thin and then shaping it to fit Intel bananas (CPUs shaped by the stock ILM) by shoving a thick rubber piece under it and deforming it. I do not like this approach of brute forcing the metal sheet to desired shape by pushing on it and putting a strain on it, I would much rather see a normal "relaxed sturdy piece of metal" shaped by machining.

So if I want this block to be flat and work well with my CPU mounted with the mounting frame and relieve some of the strain, I will need to find some plastic sheet thinner than the stock rubber sheet myself and swap it.

System Name I don't name my rig
Processor 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z690 D4
Cooling Air/water/DryIce
Memory Corsair 3600mhz something die cl18 at 4000mhz
Video Card(s) RX 6700 XT
Storage 980 Pro
Display(s) Some LED 1080P TV
Case Open bench
Audio Device(s) Some Old Sherwood stereo and old cabinet speakers
Power Supply Antec 850w Continous Power Series (since 2009)
Mouse Razor Mamba Tournament Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD Quest 2
Software Windows
Benchmark Scores Max Freq 13700K 6.7ghz DryIce. Max all time Freq FX-8300 7685mhz LN2
If your very thin plate testing glass piece doesn't split over than 3 thousands of an inch when pressed down, I highly highly doubt the block will split. Where do you make this stuff up from?

All the pictures with thermal paste look extremely normal with hardly any anomalies.

Danger of splitting. Give us readers a break from the BS please.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
There is no way a sheet of mental, even if it's quite thin, will split like that.

If you make the cold plate "sturdier" that means making it thicker = worse thermal transfer, if you make it flat this will also result in worse thermal transfer because the IHS on most CPUs isn't flat either, it's better to have it be convex so that it always exerts pressure on the IHS.

Also you're not using your common sense here, even if the clod plate is under a lot of outwards pressure because it's pressed against another piece of metal, the IHS, that means it's just being compressed. How is it ever going to split if there is physically no room for it to expand further ?

There is no way a sheet of metal, even if it's quite thin, will split like that.

Really? You machine a slot in the metal, then bend and pull the metal exactly in the place of the stress points left in the metal by imperfect machining process, and you believe that it is perfectly ok and nothing bad can ever happen? I may agree with you in the places I indicated blue, because in that places you are bending and pulling undisturbed and nickel plated upper part of the block. The red spots are the problematic parts, because you are stressing and opening up a disturbed metal.

EDIT: I just realised that the machined parts are then nickel plated as well, it would be interesting to see how the bottoms of the water channels really look, how rough they are and how the plating works at that areas.

bend block.png

If you make the cold plate "sturdier" that means making it thicker = worse thermal transfer
I would gladly sacrifise one or two °C for a sturdier block. This block is flimsy, deformed and bursting at the seams with pressurised rubber. I just invented a nick name for this block: "a rubber bomb".

EINE GUMMIBOMBE

Last edited:
System Name I don't name my rig
Processor 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z690 D4
Cooling Air/water/DryIce
Memory Corsair 3600mhz something die cl18 at 4000mhz
Video Card(s) RX 6700 XT
Storage 980 Pro
Display(s) Some LED 1080P TV
Case Open bench
Audio Device(s) Some Old Sherwood stereo and old cabinet speakers
Power Supply Antec 850w Continous Power Series (since 2009)
Mouse Razor Mamba Tournament Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD Quest 2
Software Windows
Benchmark Scores Max Freq 13700K 6.7ghz DryIce. Max all time Freq FX-8300 7685mhz LN2
There is no way a sheet of mental, even if it's quite thin, will split like that.

Also you're not using your common sense here,
the plate would have to bend probably 30° or more to split. Copper is a softer metal, pliable compared to steel. But try to bend a cold plate with a couple pliers by hand. If it bends, it would take all your strength.

Common sense. It's heavily lacking. These minor variations seemingly has our friend really digging deep for something that isn't there.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs, 24TB Enterprise drives
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Without using a depth probe to determine the material thickness at the bottom of the cut you are flying blind with assumptions of it splitting.

If the base is copper and machined then plated in nickel it will flex, as copper is a ductile metal, without splitting, the tiny amount of flex for mounting will not harm it at all. It might if you mounted it hundreds of times it might become work hardened and cracked, but you are in no danger of it bursting with it being supported and the tiny pressure your pump applies.

For reference, copper pipe that lasts forever in homes at 60PSI and experiences spikes of over 150PSI is .030 to .035 thick. Or .76mm to .89mm

Reinstall it with the rubber to get better cooling, which is the engineered and designed purpose. Also try distilled water, and a surface tension reducer that will also help lubricate the pump and I bet you won't have to touch it for years.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Yes, really. The metal wouldn't bend and split like you are describing, there is simply not enough pressure to cause something like that. I don't think you realize just how much force it would take to do that.

This block is flimsy, deformed and bursting at the seams with pressurised rubber.Really
I bet most blocks out there are built pretty much in the exact same way.

Without using a depth probe to determine the material thickness at the bottom of the cut you are flying blind with assumptions of it splitting.

If the base is copper and machined then plated in nickel it will flex, as copper is a ductile metal, without splitting, the tiny amount of flex for mounting will not harm it at all. It might if you mounted it hundreds of times it might become work hardened and cracked, but you are in no danger of it bursting with it being supported and the tiny pressure your pump applies.

For reference, copper pipe that lasts forever in homes at 60PSI and experiences spikes of over 150PSI is .030 to .035 thick. Or .76mm to .89mm

Reinstall it with the rubber to get better cooling, which is the engineered and designed purpose. Also try distilled water, and a surface tension reducer that will also help lubricate the pump and I bet you won't have to touch it for years.
I tried to get some idea how deep the cuts are with a piece of paper with some markings on it and the cuts are deep.

The theory is one thing, a second thing and reality is that this block is pretty cheap and I do not expect a perfection - for example you can see that the "teeth" are not perfectly straight, you can see that the third row from below is shifted by a half tooth width in comparison with the row below. If was this way when I first opened the block. The question is if the design idea of a precisely machined block base can be safely put into life with the available manufacturing quality.

I do not want the block to be so extremely bulged and I cannot use the thick rubber.

Yes, really. The metal wouldn't bend and split like you are describing, there is simply not enough pressure to cause something like that. I don't think you realize just how much force it would take to do that.
Again, the block is cheap probably made from recycled copper, a lot of things can happen.

I bet most blocks out there are built pretty much in the exact same way.
This block performs so well just because they took this step into a dangerous territory, which other manufacturers did not dare to take. Possibly for a good reason.

Last edited:

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer XV273K 4K120 + Lenovo L32p-30 4K60
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
Never heard of an exploding waterblock and I'm sure that this won't explode either.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
if you mounted it hundreds of times it might become work hardened and cracked, but you are in no danger of it bursting with it being supported and the tiny pressure your pump applies.
Exactly this.

Once the block has been mounted (properly), there is literally zero chance of it popping open. It isn't going to catastrophically fail because of a piece of rubber. Unless the mounting hardware somehow breaks or is used incorrectly, that in and of itself will guarantee your block won't break.

BTW, inserts are nothing new. Swiftech used them as far back as the early 2000s, EK has used them, Koolance used them etc etc and so on. So yeah, Other manufacturers have in fact stepped there.

Believe it or not, Alphacool really does have a competent R&D team or they wouldn't be nearly as successful as they are. Which is likely why you received the response they gave.
Alphacooleddy is our resident contact iirc (I may have his name wrong) he's easy to find. I'm certain he would be happy to explain how your block is designed to work.

I would get it if you were bending and stretching a smooth sheet of high quality metal.

• This on the other hand is not a high price product.
  • The base is most likely made from recycled lower purity copper - I do not mean chemical composition, but some macroscopic impurities.
  • The bending and stretching is done it the area of a cut groove, which is impossible to make 100% smooth in ideal conditions, and the real manufacturing conditions may be less than ideal
  • I doubt that the plating down in the cuts will be impeccable.
  • You can see that the bits between cuts (teeth) are irregular - most of them are bent - indicates less than ideal conditions in manufacture and assembly.
  • You can see that the base itself is not a plane, but is diagonally bent or misshaped - there are only three corners visible in the overall ink shot - indicates less than ideal conditions in manufacture.
  • The screws in the aluminium top are pretty uncomfortably loose - the threads are not cut very tight.
I am far from saying that this block is a junk, but it simply feels like the engineers (designers) are probably putting too much faith in what this block can really provide.

BTW I cannot rule out that my sample is a lemon, or a previously returned block from another customer (I already mentioned the bubbles under the protective foil), and that I might have more positive feeling from another sample, but the crucial problem illustrated clearly in post number 8 would be still there.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs, 24TB Enterprise drives
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Short of you setting up a depth micrometer to determine the thickness of the base like this
or cutting it in half to get an accurate measurement.

I seriously doubt your ability to estimate the thickness of the material, this is when 99.9% of us rely on their warranty, and knowing that there are tolerances.

If you feel they are providing a subpar product that cools worse when you modify it, buy CNC machines and make your own to show us how it's done.

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, 2 x Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
I examined Alphacool CORE 1 CPU block which I got a few weeks ago directly from the manufacturer, the block package has a little round sticker on it indicating, that the block may have been made in January 2024.

I inspected the block using my ink method described here:

How to check flatness of CPUs and coolers - INK and OPTICAL INTERFERENCE methods | TechPowerUp Forums

and found out that the block has an extremely strong bulge in the middle:

View attachment 344620

After inspecting it closer I found, that the block surface is deformed along the water channel cuts, you can see that here:

View attachment 344621

Especially on the outer edges the change of shape is so notable, that I fear the the block may split in those areas. This is obviously caused by the water channels being cut very deep and leaving little material to maintain mechanical integrity of the base. Another cause is a thick rubber sheet stuffed under the base, which has marks on it proving that it is subjected to high pressure.

View attachment 344622 View attachment 344623

I tried removing the sheet and running the block without it. The bulge disappeared, but I could not judge the flatness because of the raised parts in the corners:

View attachment 344624

In any case, the paste imprints after removing the block from the CPU look good:

View attachment 344625 View attachment 344626 View attachment 344627

Compare that to the original imprints of the bulging block:

View attachment 344628 View attachment 344629 View attachment 344630

You can see a thin layer of the paste just in the area of the bulge, and very thick layer of the paste especially on the right ride.

I performed a test with heat load of 253W. The temperature under the same conditions (average over all cores) was 68-69°C with the original bulging block and a degree higher with the rubber sheet completely removed and better block to CPU contact. Removing the rubber sheet may have caused some water to bypass the cooling channels and flow above them.

I am convinced that with the rubber sheet that is thinner and will not cause so extreme pressure build-up under the base and bulging and a bit shallower water channel cuts improving mechanical base integrity the performance of the block would be close to the same as of the current version of the block, which is bursting at the seams.

I noticed that the block with no other signs of use had such bubbles under the protective foil, that happen when you remove the foill and return it. Is somebody in Germany inspecting the blocks when they arrive from the manufacturer, if they are not close to splitting - you could recognise it by how sharp those deformation edges on the surface would appear.

Have you heard about a case when this block split?

Is my block a lemon, or are all these blocks like this?

If they are intended to be made this way, I really do not think it was a good idea.
I'm not sure I understand this. Are you overtightening your block? Custom loop pressures are low so you only need to ensure a tight seal not a 10 bar pressure resistant seal.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer XV273K 4K120 + Lenovo L32p-30 4K60
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
I'm not sure I understand this. Are you overtightening your block? Custom loop pressures are low so you only need to ensure a tight seal not a 10 bar pressure resistant seal.
I'm pretty sure that overtightening will most likely ruin the screws anyway and nothing else. I'm totally confused what OP is meaning as well.

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, 2 x Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
I'm pretty sure that overtightening will most likely ruin the screws anyway and nothing else. I'm totally confused what OP is meaning as well.
My thought was if you overtighten you could deform your cold plate along the lines of the gasket.
Severity depends on the rigidity of the cold plate and density along the path of the gasket as it's compressed.
1714103412787.png

My understanding is gaskets will deteriorate over time so marks on the surfaces of the metal outlining their point of contact is normal in conjunction with deposits of materials (plasticizer, additives, etc...) from the fluid wedged near the edges of contact.

I think the observed deformation of the block is a non-issue. Obviously the cuts for the fins on the other side change the density of the metal in the area allowing it to flex more under stress and/or temperature compared to the rest of the plate and essentially one can see the bends via changes in the reflection of light. When mounting the cooler to a CPU your not going to be putting so much stress on the plate that cracks the metal at the bottom of the micro fin channel unless it's some really shit metal. Just my opinion.

1714104382835.png

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i9-10850K
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490-A
Cooling Custom water cooling. CPU: EK Velosity, GPU: EK Vector EC3
Memory 16GB G.Skill Trident Royal 4000mhz CL15
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3070 Ultra XC3
Storage OS: WD 1TB M.2, Data: Kingston 2TB M.2
Display(s) Asus 27" 4K, BeadaPanel 6.8"
Case Modded AZZA Genesis 9000B
Audio Device(s) SB AE-5plus
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Software Win10 64
I would get it if you were bending and stretching a smooth sheet of high quality metal.

• This on the other hand is not a high price product.
  • The base is most likely made from recycled lower purity copper - I do not mean chemical composition, but some macroscopic impurities.
  • The bending and stretching is done it the area of a cut groove, which is impossible to make 100% smooth in ideal conditions, and the real manufacturing conditions may be less than ideal
  • I doubt that the plating down in the cuts will be impeccable.
  • You can see that the bits between cuts (teeth) are irregular - most of them are bent - indicates less than ideal conditions in manufacture and assembly.
  • You can see that the base itself is not a plane, but is diagonally bent or misshaped - there are only three corners visible in the overall ink shot - indicates less than ideal conditions in manufacture.
  • The screws in the aluminium top are pretty uncomfortably loose - the threads are not cut very tight.
I am far from saying that this block is a junk, but it simply feels like the engineers (designers) are probably putting too much faith in what this block can really provide.

BTW I cannot rule out that my sample is a lemon, or a previously returned block from another customer (I already mentioned the bubbles under the protective foil), and that I might have more positive feeling from another sample, but the crucial problem illustrated clearly in post number 8 would be still there.

LOLOLOLOL! Please share with us all how you came to this assumption. Are you a metallurgist?

Back in the EK-Gate fiasco, there were thousands of keyboard metallurgist claiming Eddie was using bunk copper. Guess what? He was using the best anyone could get their hands on.

I have no idea what overtightening are you guys talking about, I am aware of the loose screws in the alu top and I am very careful with them. The main O-ring is in a groove and the base goes metal on metal on the block body.

What was that "EK-Gate fiasco"?

Last edited:
System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
This is one of those threads where you sit back and eat popcorn watching others trying to explain the simplicity of said issue. Lets not blame ignorance for whats truly a concern for the quality of a product that made by a company with a known good reputation for quality products. The OP doesnt appear to have both oars in the water given the responses.

Last edited:
Processor AMD 7600x
Motherboard Asrock x670e Steel Legend
Cooling Silver Arrow Extreme IBe Rev B with 2x 120 Gentle Typhoons
Memory 4x16Gb Patriot Viper Non RGB @ 6000 30-36-36-36-40
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT MERC 319
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 1Tb NVME
Display(s) 3x Dell Ultrasharp U2414h
Case Coolermaster Stacker 832
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower PF3 850 watt
Mouse Logitech G502 (OG)
Keyboard Logitech G512
What was that "EK-Gate fiasco"?
Back when there was "issues" with waterblocks and their nickel plating flaking off.

People assumed all sorts of things from too thin nickel to poor quality copper not accepting the electroplating etc etc etc

System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4
Cooling Noctua D15s/MX6
Memory TEAM GROUP 32GB DDR4 4000C16 B die
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB
Storage M.2 drives-Crucial P5 500GB 4x4/WD SN850X 4TB 4x4/WD SN850X 2TB 4x4
Display(s) Dell s3422dwg 34" 3440x1440p 144hz ultrawide
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s DAC/PCamp TC 1680 AMP/MS M10 Speakers/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x 80% gold
Mouse Logitech G604 wireless
Keyboard Logitech G413 carbon
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Who cares
I had the same block with a mounting frame on my cpu with no problems.
20221013_113522.jpg
Untitled.jpg