• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon Pro v540 Research Thread

I have once again followedup on that ticket, and I inquired about that potential mispoken model and the answer was as follows
  • No update yet, they're workin on my issue still
  • The rep definitely said the incorrect model, an RX 540 is definitely not correct, and that an RX 5400 is also definitely not (so says the new rep), so my theory is out, and spec wise that was kinda given. Whether such exists or not idk but he seemed not too inclined to answer that.
  • Equivalent cards are definitely 5000 series, specifically in the 5600-5700 XT range for what they offer (though we knew this already)
  • The W5500X-W5700X would also be in the same ballpark according to the rep, though whether this has any compatibility is hard to say since those arent HBM2
  • He also mentioned but glossed over the 5600M which and I quote "Likely doesn't help your specific case" which is a little funny given the results above from @mczkrt
Hopefully this clarified some more stuff, when I get a formal reply to things I'll update this again, I just took the moment I had since the RX 540 part has been bugging me a ton

It seems to me that the tech support doesn't fully understand the topic you are discussing. Maybe that is the reason they even agreed to open a ticket for officially unreleased product. Still, huge thumbs up for trying this route.

It seems to me that the tech support doesn't fully understand the topic you are discussing. Maybe that is the reason they even agreed to open a ticket for officially unreleased product. Still, huge thumbs up for trying this route.
You're correct and thats why they had to come back with info at a later date as it needs to be reviewed by those who can answer it. The reps definitely had no idea, and that's totally fine with me, as long as someone who does know something looks at it I'm calling it a win.

As I understand it, In the ticket they detail exactly what the specific request is and mine was quite broad; I specifically mentioned the card definitely works, both onboard GPUs, but under Linux only one GPU on the board works but the other will not so simultaenous GPU functionalty is out of the question, and under Windows neither will work as it returns a resource error for unknown reasons. The exact request on ticket is along the lines of "any information to both troubleshoot the issues further, or general information about what hardware or software this GPU is looking for to operate correctly under Windows and Linux". I extended this to drivers, vbios, operating sytems, some motherboard configurations, any information at all that could help identify the issue further not necessarily asking for solution or fix.

The reason I did this mostly because I know it's a waste of everyone's time with an engineering sample, and seeing as my specific card is NOT an engineering sample and rather a final production one, it stands to reason that any issues I have would actually be taken seriously even if it's a shot in the dark. Since it's unreleased but also a production card it was worth trying at all since it could go either way. On top of this since it's in the "Professional Graphics" lineup, it means I dont have to call the normal consumer line, so there may be more chance of an answer just because it's not a regular consumer card. And to be fair to everyone including the rep did admit this was quite the unusual call to begin with so I did at least clarify that theres a number of engineering samples out there, but the one I'm inquiring about isnt one of those and I think that's why he took the case at all.

And besides in case this avenue didn't work I still had a fairly reasonable inquiry about the Pro VII infinity link bridge, which is the issue I opened with as it's significantly less annoying of an issue and probably a lot simpler to resolve anyway. I may be slightly abusing a few things here, but every time I have ever called AMD it has been genuinely pleasant or helpful. I wish I could say the same about their e-mail support on one instance. Sometimes just talking to a person gets results.

Realistically I just want these cards to work and be useful, not e-waste. They definitely mine which okay sure that's something but surely we can do more.

Last edited:
Well got a reply though cant say I'm super surprised with what it is, though we now have an "official enough" reply.
Thank you for contacting AMD.

The Radeon Pro V540 was never released to the market, and thus we're not sure how you were able to get one.
We recommend returning it to the vendor, as we might not be able to help with an unreleased product, for a variety of reasons (driver support, exact specs, etc).
I have sent a reply thanking them for their time, and will continue my equally annoying ask about the Infinity Link Bridge in response. I guess we really only have to hope some amazing driver wizard shows up, or flash the 5600M to it and roll with that even if that's probably not the best.

Another owner of one suggested cold emailing Shadow PC since supposedly they use the v520 for cloud gaming. I mean the idea is definitely sound.