• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Socket F up close

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
DailyTech has some nice screenshots on the upcoming Opteron socket F. It will have 1207 pins, and is an LGA type socket. The socket will be able to handle dual and future quad core CPUs, but we know all that already. Here are the pictures of the socket, taken from a Foxconn mainboard:

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Sample light
Processor AMD Phenom II 965
Motherboard MSI DKA790GX
Cooling Zalman 9500LED
Memory 2x 2GB G-skill PC8500
Video Card(s) Asus built AMD/ATI HD4850
Storage 500GB Wesern Digital green
Display(s) too ashamed to tell, but its an acer
Case Lian Li V2000
Audio Device(s) Echo Audiofire 2
Power Supply Corsair VX550
Software Windows XP pro SP3
LGA. im really not a fan, on one side, the processor is more expencive therefore harder on the budget when it comes to replacing if you damage the interface pins, especially opterons, also the processor retention mecanism isnt holding the processor by the pins like in PGA sockets, less chance of ripping off pins if the retention mechanism breaks or is used incorrectly,

on the other hand, first gen intel 775 boards had alot of problems regarding the pins, since its harder to protect the pins while shipping and moving a board then a processor which would be in a plastic casing or fixed in a tray,

also in my opinion a processor is better held in place and its harder to bend the pins when theres a corresponding hole to every pin, in LGA, the pins on the motherboard touch against a metal pad on the processor, the pins are exposed from the sides, which can probobly be solved by adding a grid with holes to the processor (hope some intel or AMD engnieers are reading), or some lego styled thick pins that plug on the side to keep the processor stedy in place, or if the motherboard is perpendicular to the floor to keep the processor from falling off when you unlock the retention mechanism,

btw, im wondering about that poker dealer visor style retention mechanism, does it affect the seating of the heatsink against the core ?

Tory

Processor Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Motherboard Biostar TForce 6100
Cooling Freezer 64 Pro
Memory 2GB G.skill DDR400
Video Card(s) 8800GTS
Storage 500GB Raid 0
Display(s) Sceptre 20.1inch wide 8ms
Case Ultra Aluminus
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 value
Power Supply Seasonic 430w
Aevum said:
LGA. im really not a fan, on one side, the processor is more expencive therefore harder on the budget when it comes to replacing if you damage the interface pins, especially opterons, also the processor retention mecanism isnt holding the processor by the pins like in PGA sockets, less chance of ripping off pins if the retention mechanism breaks or is used incorrectly,

on the other hand, first gen intel 775 boards had alot of problems regarding the pins, since its harder to protect the pins while shipping and moving a board then a processor which would be in a plastic casing or fixed in a tray,

also in my opinion a processor is better held in place and its harder to bend the pins when theres a corresponding hole to every pin, in LGA, the pins on the motherboard touch against a metal pad on the processor, the pins are exposed from the sides, which can probobly be solved by adding a grid with holes to the processor (hope some intel or AMD engnieers are reading), or some lego styled thick pins that plug on the side to keep the processor stedy in place, or if the motherboard is perpendicular to the floor to keep the processor from falling off when you unlock the retention mechanism,

btw, im wondering about that poker dealer visor style retention mechanism, does it affect the seating of the heatsink against the core ?
But it's usually less expensive to replace a motherboard than a CPU. For example, my motherboard cost $55 and my CPU $300. I would much rather have the venerable pins be on the motherboard than the CPU.

System Name Sample light
Motherboard MSI DKA790GX
Cooling Zalman 9500LED
Case Lian Li V2000
thanks for repeating the first phrase of my post.

Tory

Processor Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Motherboard Biostar TForce 6100
Cooling Freezer 64 Pro
Memory 2GB G.skill DDR400
Video Card(s) 8800GTS
Storage 500GB Raid 0
Display(s) Sceptre 20.1inch wide 8ms
Case Ultra Aluminus
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 value
Power Supply Seasonic 430w
Aevum said:
thanks for repeating the first phrase of my post.
Hey at least it was in my own words :eek:

zekrahminator

McLovin
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane @ 2.8GHz (224x12.5, 1.425V)
Motherboard Gigabyte sumthin-or-another, it's got an nForce 430
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT @ 580/600
Storage WD 160 GB SATA hard drive.
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen, 5ms response time, 1440x900
Case Thermaltake Soprano (black with side window).
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (paired with X-530 speakers).
Power Supply ThermalTake 430W TR2
Software XP Home SP2, can't wait for Vista SP1.
lol considering how many consumers went for the opertrons, I wonder how fast THIS sockets gonna get picked up...whats LGA anyways?

System Name Sample light
Motherboard MSI DKA790GX
Cooling Zalman 9500LED
Case Lian Li V2000
basicly, the idea is that an opteron is alot more expencive then the motherboard its installed on, especialy dual core, or multiprocessor systems,
so basicly, since its cheaper to replace a board then the processor, they took the most fragile part of the processor and put it on the board, which is the pins,
basicly invert the socket, more pins, more probability of bending or damaging one, better to have them sit stedy on the board insted of having to aim them in to holes, especialy if it had 1200 pins,

old socket, pins on the processors go in to holes in the socket, below each hole is a contact surface,
before that, when there were less pines, the socket would just have holes in it, and each hole would have 2 metal plates on the sides to press on the pin and complete the contact,

and before that, the pins on the chip would just go trough empty solder points on the PCB,

evolution, when you cant improve something further, just turn it around and say its new :)

i suspect that the next evolution would be removing the pins and using direct contact,
as if it was a layed PCB, having a thin insulated layer with cuts where interaction between layers is required,