• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus 7 PIN fans to standard 4 pin PWM?

You lose the Fan Stop feature on the 4000 series asus cards if you go with a custom curve in afterburner, argus monitor of fancontrol. Can't adjust when the fans start, when they stop. If you go custom curve, the fans will not turn off, you are stuck with 30% as the lowest speed.

One solution is to connect the fans to the motherboard and make them react to the gpu temp with argus or whatever.

Is there a cable on the market that allows you to connect the standard 7 pin fans to a motherboard header?

I can only find adapters to deshroud, like this - https://gpuconnect.com/products/7-p...le-asus-rtx-3060-3070-3080-ti-3090-tuf-gaming

I need one the other way around. Male connector for the 7 pins part, to go into the gpu fans, 2x female standard 4 pin connector to go in the mobo.

The pinout is known -

You lose the Fan Stop feature on the 4000 series asus cards if you go with a custom curve in afterburner, argus monitor of fancontrol. Can't adjust when the fans start, when they stop. If you go custom curve, the fans will not turn off, you are stuck with 30% as the lowest speed.

One solution is to connect the fans to the motherboard and make them react to the gpu temp with argus or whatever.

Is there a cable on the market that allows you to connect the standard 7 pin fans to a motherboard header?

I can only find adapters to deshroud, like this - https://gpuconnect.com/products/7-p...le-asus-rtx-3060-3070-3080-ti-3090-tuf-gaming

I need one the other way around. Male connector for the 7 pins part, to go into the gpu fans, 2x female standard 4 pin connector to go in the mobo.

The pinout is known -
One solution is to use the deshroud cables with PWM female to female cables - one end plugs into the deshroud cable sockets, the other end plugs into the motherboard headers.

For example the Phobya Female to Female cable (sku:1012291) from ModMyMods.

The reason for the 7 pins is that you have 2 x +V, 2 x Ground, 2 x PWM Signal and 1 x RPM Speed Signal. Two motherboard headers will be used and only the motherboard header with the cable with the RPM Speed Signal can control the fan speeds. I think you would have to set the other motherboard header to ignore fan speeds in the absence of an RPM Speed Signal.

Last edited:
How would you connect the 7 pin asus fans? They are female, so is the deshroud adapter.
threema-20210407-173540405-1.jpg

The reason for the 7 pins is that you have 2 x +V, 2 x Ground, 2 x PWM Signal and 1 x RPM Speed Signal. Two motherboard headers will be used and only the motherboard header with the cable with the RPM Speed Signal can control the fan speeds. I think you would have to set the other motherboard header to ignore fan speeds in the absence of an RPM Speed Signal.

No, here is how the pinout looks like. Only 6/7 pins are used. Only one +12V and one ground pins. All fans share voltage and ground. Asus cards with 3 fans have one fan with it's own pwm control and rpm sensor, the other two fans share another pwm control and only one reports rpm.
asus pinout.jpg

Last edited:
I see what you mean.

I think you are into removing cables from standard PWM cables and creating a custom adapter. Something I have done in the past, force fits may work or soldering may be required.

One adapter I made meant slicing a PWM female cable end into one piece for each cable for a non-standard wired male socket. You could consider the reverse, slicing male PWM cable ends into sections to fit the fan female socket. You could just remove the male cable ends, which will be pins and push those into the female socket. I preferred to cut the adapters just to make sure there was some plastic left to provide enough distance to avoid any chance of pins or wires touching. The common ground is an issue, one ground pin into a socket will need two wires connected to it. As there are 2 Fan RPM Signals the motherboard headers could control each fan individually, if required.

Last edited:
I was thinking about a standard 4 pin pwm extension. The pinout on the 7 pin asus starts the same as the 4 pin. PWM, RPM, voltage, ground. If the spacing fits, a 4 pin male could work in the first 4 holes of the asus 7 pin female, after some plastic is removed. Another extension could be used for the other 2 holes, pwm and rpm for the second or third fan.

Those guys from gpuconnect have all the cables you can think of... Even this one https://gpuconnect.com/products/cpu...4-pin-pwm-female-to-4-pin-ph2-0-mini-gpu-male

Fan splitter cable to connect a motherboard CPU header to a GPU fan, or pump that uses the mini 4-Pin PH2.0 header. Typical application is to connect a GPU fan to a motherboard for fan control from the OS, on graphics card fan replacements or modifications.
Exatcly! Do this with the asus connector!

7pinfemale.jpg

This, but the 7 pin female connector is male and the 2x 4 pin male fan headers are female.

RaptorTP

Yeah, finally somebody who has the same idea/issue like me xD

1000rpm in IDLE is a shame ... :/

My goal is to have a slow and steady rpm - also in IDLE.
And a own dynamic curve via Fan Control.

Damn, i thought i had already an account here. Well ok than ... Hello :)

1713259253213.png

and to just "simply" solder or even stick some PINs to this connector ? and connect it to the fans of the GPU ? ... too sloppy ? xD ...

naaah - now i see how easy it is to deshroud this card - will go with 2x 120mm noctua fans.
Best way to get it silent and the fan curve i like ;)

Last edited:
Late february i wrote an email to gpuconnect asking about what i want to to. The guy there got the 7 pin male connector and built it for me.
Here it is, working fine. Only one fan reporting rpm, all 3 share the same pwm signal. Simple.

Attachments

• 7pin.jpg
    7pin.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 7pin2.jpg
    7pin2.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 24

RaptorTP

Well, at least we have an update on this ticket.
Thank you. I will go with 2x be quiet silent wings 4.

Deshroud is done in 2 minutes ;) - nice

@RaptorTP, do you have the 4080 tuf super?
2x120mm fans leave a chunk of the radiator exposed, so cooling potential is wasted.
I would go with 3xNF-A9x14, or 3xNF-A9, if width is not an issue.

RaptorTP

Have the 4070 TUF.
No no, this is fine. I had a lot of experiments with the cooler of the 3080 Ti.
Also used 3x 92mm Noctua Fans. Was not really great. Afterwards i used 2x 120mm with better results and lower noise.

You need a bit of distance between fans and radiator or a bit bigger fans than radiator.

I will update the ticket after deshroud the card.

Oh, the 4070 tuf is 300mm long, while the 4080 super is 350mm.

The original fans on the 4070 tuf appear to be 90mm, 4080 tuf might be 110mm.

It all depends on how big the radiator is. I suspect 3x9 noctuas would do better on the 4080 super than 2x12.

RaptorTP

Ich have still a 4070 ;)
My experience is the following: if the fans are directly and fully mounted on the radiator, you will slow down the airflow too much.

For example: GTX 1080 Ti with 2x 120mm Fans.
Great job, good temps - and you can easily see that the fans are a bigger than the radiator.

1713468868890.png

i think they will fit perfect on the 4070: more or less like that, let´s see ;)

1713469672382.png

used pics:

Update:

1713537928526.png

Just a short test - Horizon Zero Dawn: GPU: 51°C / Hotspot 60°C - 2700 MHz @ 950mV GPU Load: 100% fans spinning under 900rpm ... official a Silent PC again ! :love: