• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best VM Software with GPU Pasthrough for Linux

DullardDuck

Hi, which, in your opinion, is the best VM software for installing W10 that will run on POP OS, that easily supports GPU pass through as well as USB peripherals like Wacom tablets?

I have been using virtual box for Zbrush to great success (setting up the dang thing was another story) but if I cannot sell my laptop to fund the building of a new PC with the goal of preserving my Autodesk and Adobe perpetual licenses I was contemplating buying a second (single slot) GPU and creating a VM with all of my software licensed, configured and backed up redundantly.

I heard of a VM software called QEMU, I think, but what do you guys think will fit my needs best for high end 3D modeling, stability, ease of use and backing up?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I mean QEMU/KVM is kinda the go-to vrtualization solution on Linux, so you're not wrong there. I have no experience with GPU passthrough, but I've read about it a while ago. There are some limitations as to what your hardware is capable, such as your GPU needs to support UEFI boot mode (and your VM needs to be UEFI aswell, which should not be an issue), your CPU needs to support virtualization extensions (VT-d, TV-x, or the AMD equivalents, should not be an issue with somewhat recent HW though). Basically what I'm saying is, this is not as simple as just starting up an arbitrary VM, you need to do some reading/research before starting (and potentially buying stuff).

Good luck, keep us updated. This might become interesting as Windows is going south lately...

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
You really should go with QEMU/KVM and use virt-manager for the GUI. There are options for turning on GPU passthrough but I believe some commands will need to be added in the kernel? Also, make sure you use the same video card manufacturer to make it easier and just go with AMD since their drivers come integrated with the kernel. I have not done this myself since I do not have the need but have many videos on the topic and it doesn't seem too difficult if you are willing to go through some trial and error with your configuration.