• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bizarre Throttlestop issue

aginor

Hi guys, I'm trying to undervolt the i9-13950HX in my MSI GP68, as I feel a bit uncomfortable with the temps (97C under stress) but Throttlestop fails to apply the undervolting (or any other settings). I've unlocked everything that I'm aware of, that relates to overclocking / undervolting in BIOS, all I need in Throttlestop appears be fully able to be altered, yet setting will just not apply (no change in temps or cinebench or 3d mark results). On the side of Windows, virtualization is disabled, as well as Hyper-V. I might cap the framerates via Nvidia control panel to say, 60 or 90, but this kind of defeats the purpose of buying an Nvidia 4080 machine

Please, does anyone have a clue what I may be missing? Screenshots below

Attachments

• Throttlestop FIVR screenshot Cache.png
    Throttlestop FIVR screenshot Cache.png
    89.4 KB · Views: 101
  • Throttlestop FIVR screenshot Core.png
    Throttlestop FIVR screenshot Core.png
    90.7 KB · Views: 95
  • Throttlestop FIVR screenshot SysAgent.png
    Throttlestop FIVR screenshot SysAgent.png
    89 KB · Views: 88
  • Throttlestop TPL screenshot.png
    Throttlestop TPL screenshot.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Windows modules screenshot.png
    Windows modules screenshot.png
    65.5 KB · Views: 91
  • HW Info screenshot.png
    HW Info screenshot.png
    108.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
The ThrottleStop FIVR monitoring table shows that your undervolt has been applied successfully. Try restarting HWiNFO. It has a limitation. The FIVR voltages are not updated in real time. Every time you make a change in ThrottleStop, you need to restart HWiNFO so it can update the FIVR voltages.

or any other settings
What other settings are not being applied? There is a lock icon beside the MSR power limits. Either you or your BIOS has set the lock bit so the MSR power limits cannot be changed. Try clearing the check mark in the Lock box in the Power Limit Controls section. Press OK and reboot. After you boot up, if you still see the yellow lock icon, the MSR power limits can only be changed in the BIOS.

To change the MMIO power limits, you need to check the Sync MMIO box. I prefer to check the MMIO Lock box to prevent the MMIO power limits from being changed.

Why did you undervolt the System Agent? This does not need to be set equal to the P cores or P cache. Most people leave the System Agent at an offset of 0 mV.

Edit - The P core and P cache should be set to the same IccMax value. I recommend the max, 511.75 for both of these.

Checking the Thermal Velocity Boost box in the FIVR window tells the CPU to throttle 100 MHz when it reaches approximately 70°C. It is mostly a pointless feature. If you do not want your CPU to throttle at this temperature, clear this box. It is a throttling feature that the Intel marketing folks decided to call boost.

D

Deleted member 57642

Hi guys, I'm trying to undervolt the i9-13950HX in my MSI GP68, as I feel a bit uncomfortable with the temps (97C under stress) but Throttlestop fails to apply the undervolting (or any other settings). I've unlocked everything that I'm aware of, that relates to overclocking / undervolting in BIOS, all I need in Throttlestop appears be fully able to be altered, yet setting will just not apply (no change in temps or cinebench or 3d mark results). On the side of Windows, virtualization is disabled, as well as Hyper-V. I might cap the framerates via Nvidia control panel to say, 60 or 90, but this kind of defeats the purpose of buying an Nvidia 4080 machine

Please, does anyone have a clue what I may be missing? Screenshots below

Undervolting helps - but it can't do miracles for a poorly cooled machine. And, for obvious reasons (thin & cramped enclosure - where only small fans can fit - thus, the weak airflow) - laptops still struggle in this regards. There's no room for comparison with a desktop - where all that extra space can imply fairly decent sized fans (multiple too) paired with massive heatsinks - which allows you to squeeze the maximum performance at low temperatures. That being said, it's actually recommended "to lower the frequencies" on a laptop - for the sake of stability - which also translates to a better experience - at around 70% - 80% of what your CPU/GPU is capable - but hey... it's portable. And that's just it - that's the main bonus of a laptop and only reason it's worth it (portability). In this regard - you're actully getting what you paid for.

As for Throttlestop - if you find above values stable - set it to "Ok - Save Volages Imediatly" Lock the MMIO from TPL and i think it should be fine - even if you Disable the Power Limit controlls. The rest is covered by Unclewebb.

Would also restart the system - then start TTS with all above changed made, minimize it and only now start HWiNFO.

aginor

Hi guys, thanks indeed both, amazing tips! Exactly what I needed!
Very happy with the overall result - the 13950HX is mildly undervolted (core & cache -0.110, but the PL1 and PL2 are massively down from 220W stock to 90W and 125W). In "Balanced" (not the noisy "Performance" mode), I've lost about 8% in Cinebench (down to mid 28k), but the temps are just amazing (65-70C in gaming and 80-82C under heavy stress). I guess I've got very lucky with the silicon lottery (or cudos to MSI binning, I guess). Frankly, the 13950HX seems badly energy starved, given the temps and it can probably be pushed quite a bit, but I'm really happy with the temps and don't need extra performance really. I've also undervolted the 4080 (via the curve editor in MSI afterburner to the tune of about 100mV) and getting stunning 70-72C under stress and about 65C in heavy gaming (Hogwarts)

All in all, I have to say that the MSI GP68HX 13v has an absolutely phenomenal cooling! If the MSI binning is consistent and it's not just me being very lucky, I can happily recommend the machine!

Last edited:

4rchagle

The ThrottleStop FIVR monitoring table shows that your undervolt has been applied successfully. Try restarting HWiNFO. It has a limitation. The FIVR voltages are not updated in real time. Every time you make a change in ThrottleStop, you need to restart HWiNFO so it can update the FIVR voltages.

What other settings are not being applied? There is a lock icon beside the MSR power limits. Either you or your BIOS has set the lock bit so the MSR power limits cannot be changed. Try clearing the check mark in the Lock box in the Power Limit Controls section. Press OK and reboot. After you boot up, if you still see the yellow lock icon, the MSR power limits can only be changed in the BIOS.

To change the MMIO power limits, you need to check the Sync MMIO box. I prefer to check the MMIO Lock box to prevent the MMIO power limits from being changed.

Why did you undervolt the System Agent? This does not need to be set equal to the P cores or P cache. Most people leave the System Agent at an offset of 0 mV.

Edit - The P core and P cache should be set to the same IccMax value. I recommend the max, 511.75 for both of these.

Checking the Thermal Velocity Boost box in the FIVR window tells the CPU to throttle 100 MHz when it reaches approximately 70°C. It is mostly a pointless feature. If you do not want your CPU to throttle at this temperature, clear this box. It is a throttling feature that the Intel marketing folks decided to call boost.
Hi,
I'm have the same laptop with 12th gen cpu with RTX 4080 but my laptop turns off abruptly without any warning when the temperature goes beyond 91C. How do i stop this ? The temperature in my region is around 36C to 42C. But even if i turn on my air conditioner the temperature is well around 87C and turnsoff after 2 hrs of gaming NFS Heat or Unbound.
The Temperature and the issue is more prominent when playing NFS Heat.
What should I do ?