• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cloudlinux + Litespeed + Ramdisk?

As title suggest, ive bin upgrading a decade old bunch of XEON based servers with AMD Epyc. At the start i wanted a custom configuration such as Cloudlinux, Litespeed enterprise and Directadmin based. Right now the webserver is up for 1.5 week and over 400 websites are installed with ZERO issues. I've read something about the use of a RAMDISK in Linux - all i want is Linux to utilize all the available (free) ram for Caching purposes - if a RAMDISK is beneficial for web serving purposes, i like to hear from here (and how).

The reason i opted for cloudlinux is the use of isolating it's users, the use of older PHP (like 5.4) - cloudlinux provides this in a patched matter - so even older PHP is considered "safe" through Cloudlinux. Isolation is through CageFS - one user cant see stuff outside then where they should - and if there's a hack it's "isolated" to only one user. On top of that the resource management is a bliss - if one user causes huge DB queries for example the rest does not suffer from it.

Litespeed enterprise speaks for itselfs - it's great for Wordpress and it makes a server faster then a traditional apache or nginx - you can use way more websites on a litespeed based server then a traditional nginx or apache. On top of that the most important sites are powered through Cloudflare.

For security it's a tuned Modsecurity Owasp - this works magic in regards of older stuff that's vulnerable for exploits. Technically if your website is swiss cheese it's still impossible to penetrate through due to above security. On top of that, also some hidden matters that i took care off, not too important either.

So my question in short is; is a RAMDISK beneficial for a already fast server with huge NVME storage? Or just call it a day and let Linux manage (all) the available free ram? Litespeed replied to me that in regards of using a ramdisk would only be good if your server has traditional HDD's - this is'nt the case.

Perhaps on heavy IO load a ramdisk might be beneficial - but still. What is a "good" ramdisk size for such purpose?

LiteCache

I cannot recommend using a RAM disk for the cache. As the name suggests, the data and therefore the cache are volatile. With such a large number of websites and therefore different caches, every restart would result in the entire cache being lost. The previous effort to warm up the cache is largely associated with a significant amount of resources, which would lead to an unnecessary increase in the load for the cache warmup. Your customers will thank you! In addition, the speed advantage of a RAM disk compared to NVMe storage is hardly measurable. I recommend NVMe storage because I have been working with LiteSpeed for more than 10 years and that is how I earn my money as an authorized LiteSpeed Support Partner.

2024-02-09 12:37:27.512791 ERROR [271185] [T0] [HTAccess] Failed to open [/home/123/domains/123.nl/private_html/images/profiles/6601/profile_img/.htaccess]: Permission denied

LS is great... Lol! On the other hand; the company i have my server through did not advise going ramdisk either.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Litespeed replied to me that in regards of using a ramdisk would only be good if your server has traditional HDD's
They are correct and you should listen to them. The problem that ramdisks solved was the high latency of HDDs - a problem that SSDs innately do not have. As such adding a ramdisk on top of an SSD is going to accomplish little more than adding an additional point of failure for negligible performance benefit.

Ramdisk or RAM based caches help greatly for SSD as well but the tradeoff, in terms of "catastrophic" loss of data, is definitely not worth it!

Weird,

I thought to believe a ramdisk could be created as well as for a read only state, so no write back caching going on. In the event of a power loss only the cached data would be lost, not complete partitions and such. Power outtage in a DC is very relative with all the UPS'es going on. It's located in likely one of the best DC's in Holland with zero outtage in the last 10 years.

Right now linux has bin caching or filling it's buffer for over 30GB - there's still a large chunk of available free memory. Maybe just let it cook for a week and see what comes out of it.