• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Undervolting Lock Removed for 9th Gen Intel CPU (i7-9750h)

System Name Alienware M17 R2
Processor Intel i7-9750H
Memory 16GB RAM
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Max-Q
Storage 1.5TB
If you are anything like me, you would be at this point seriously fed up with your laptop when dell removed the ability to tweak your laptops performance. Out the box it was all over the place but after learning about my laptop i made it into my own design of how i wanted it to perform. It has bugged me for so long i have been motivated to find a fix (for my system at least) to get back the control i once had on the expensive laptop i initially paid for.

After months of forum reading, trying this method and that nothing worked. Dell had locked down their machines like the FBI locked down censorship with twitter.

Until recently! I am thinking of doing a Youtube video on the step by step process to do this. So if you are interested let me know!

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS IF YOU HAVE NO EXPERIENCE IN THIS AS YOU CAN MESS YOUR SYSTEM UP AND BRICK YOUR MOTHERBOARD.

If you have tried the grub boot method before then you will be able to get this info so i recommend trying that before entering your bios.
Have a empty folder and call it something like dump to place info in there.
You need to use Universal bios back-up to get your info. Then drop that file into the UEFI Tool push cntl + f click the 'text' tab and write "overclocking lock". Get your overclocking lock and cfg lock var offset name and var store.
Use RU.EFI to access your bios. Need to boot this file from a usb stick

In the bios i knew my var store nuumber was named 'Setup'. So i went into the variables and scrolled down to see there where two options. The first Setup only had one line so wasn't it. The next had all the values. I used Cntl + pgdn to find my var offset number for the cfg lock and the overclocking lock. They were set to 01 which is locked. i set them to 00 to unlock and wrote that to the bios then rebooted. And boom! undervolting unlocked!

This is a simple version for those who already know what im doing and need a work around. I've heard this resets every time you boot so need to figure that out if that happens.

Edit: Putting the system to sleep and starting up again hasn't changed anything. Also retstarting hasn't changed anything. UEFI capsule update is disabled.

Last edited:
Nevermind, i am also hitting a similar wall: revert to factory seems wonky, ThrottleStop will let you move sliders, but doesn't seem to actually work, until it BSOD and then upon restart it's grayed out again.

https://github.com/SmokelessCPUv2/SmokelessRuntimeEFIPatcher this seems to be a good alternative?

i would love to have a bootloader that unlock undervolt at boot time everytime i power up the machine!

using the setup_var is also an option, but more and more laptops nowdays come with no CMOS battery and if your battery drains you have to start all over again

i guess Opencore would be a good starting point for this kind of hack?

System Name Alienware M17 R2
Processor Intel i7-9750H
Memory 16GB RAM
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Max-Q
Storage 1.5TB
@WhenMusicAttacks most of the methods are outdated as there have been many bios updates since so im assuming Dell found out and locked that down. The grub method i used i got from Laptop Tweeking Tips on youtube. His Grub method worked for a lot of people as a one time method but not for me. I manually went into my bios and reverted the locked values to unlocked. Everything is working like normal even after restarts.

You need to unlocked your CFG lock. This allows specific registers in your bios to be written to. Follow laptop tweeking tips video see if that works for you. Read this if you need info on Fixing CFG Lock im assuming you are using Mac OS? If not you will still need this. I didnt want to bother with patching etc i just went to the source and changed it.

kosi

Hello guys!
Sorry to revive this thread - I've got a problem with the exact solution used in this thread and can't seem to find any further information, maybe somebody here can help me?

I came across a great youtube video that was based upon the previously mentioned video made by Laptop Tweaking Tips - maybe it is even yours SaltyPrince? This is the video I am talking about.

I tried following it with my Alienware M17 R2 with an Intel i7-9750h CPU and successfully completed every step. However, after saving the values in RU.exe I still couldn't undervolt my laptop in throttlestop. When I checked if the values had actually changed from 0x1 to 0x0 using Universal Bios Backup, they were both still at 0x1.

Interestingly enough, when I went back into RU.exe to try again, the values were at 0x0? So RU.exe showed them as changed, but Bios Backup still showed them as disabled?

No idea what to do now.

I also tried the method used by Laptop Tweaking Tips, but my problem is that I've got two Setup Menus (the latter one is the right one) and I couldn't figure out how to access the latter one in grub - It always showed only the first one and alas, an error.

I appreciate any help! My thermal throttling has gotten to a point where I just can't put up with it anymore....

kosi

Hello guys!
Sorry to revive this thread - I've got a problem with the exact solution used in this thread and can't seem to find any further information, maybe somebody here can help me?

I came across a great youtube video that was based upon the previously mentioned video made by Laptop Tweaking Tips - maybe it is even yours SaltyPrince? This is the video I am talking about.

I tried following it with my Alienware M17 R2 with an Intel i7-9750h CPU and successfully completed every step. However, after saving the values in RU.exe I still couldn't undervolt my laptop in throttlestop. When I checked if the values had actually changed from 0x1 to 0x0 using Universal Bios Backup, they were both still at 0x1.

Interestingly enough, when I went back into RU.exe to try again, the values were at 0x0? So RU.exe showed them as changed, but Bios Backup still showed them as disabled?

No idea what to do now.

I also tried the method used by Laptop Tweaking Tips, but my problem is that I've got two Setup Menus (the latter one is the right one) and I couldn't figure out how to access the latter one in grub - It always showed only the first one and alas, an error.

I appreciate any help! My thermal throttling has gotten to a point where I just can't put up with it anymore....
Quick Update: I found a solution, although not by using this method.

I rolled back my BIOS. There are a few ways I found online, but they all didn't work. After some experimenting, I found a really easy way.

I just went to the Dell Drivers website and downloaded the BIOS version I wanted (in my case for an Alienware m17 r2 it was 1.3.1). If there are both a .exe and .rcv version available, download the .exe. Then I moved it to a USB drive, restarted, pressed F12 to enter the BIOS menu and there was an option called something along the lines of Flash from USB.

Just select that option, locate the .exe and flash!