• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Disable Turbo OR Undervolt - 12th gen P CPUs in thin or ultrathin design impossible to cool ?

Mike_SBV

I've got a LG Gram 17" (Model 17Z90Q-K.AA79A1) Ultra thin & light Windows 11 laptop. with 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1260P 2.10 GHz.
Since new, 11 months ago, its been a nightmare with overheating (runs at 90-100 deg c most of the time) meaning throttling and constant fan noise. Battery life is very poor as a result.
After doing some research its a common issue, more so with windows 11 than 10. Typical comments are :

You may be in for a rough go, everything I've seen so far is that 12th gen P CPUs in any thin or ultrathin design are going to be impossible to properly cool.
You might want to look into undervolting if the bios
(or maybe Throttlestop) allows it.

As a safe & easy option I used Throttlestop to "Disable Turbo" which I assume is Intel turboboost. This brings temps to 55-70 deg c so a massive improvement.
Before I spend ages research it would "undervolting" be a similar but less heavy handed approach to "Disable Turbo" ?
Can I use "undervolting" to bring temps down to 55-70 deg c and keep Turbo on ? I assume disabling turbo reduces CPU performance more than undervolting does.

I've bought a cooler master fan and keep the lid open etc. I just want to check my assumptions above are right before I learn to undervolt.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
@Mike_SBV
Intel removed undervolting from your 12th Gen P series CPU. Only the more expensive mobile HX series still allow undervolting and only if a laptop manufacturer does not disable undervolting.

Disable Turbo completely disables Intel Turbo Boost. This slows the CPU down and reduces performance. I would not check the Disable Turbo box. Instead of this, try checking the Speed Shift box in the TPL window and adjust the Speed Shift Max value. This will let you use some turbo boost without having to completely disable it. This lets you balance performance vs temperatures.

Mike_SBV

Thanks, I'll give that a go, great software by the way. Could you show Intel a thing or two