• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Drop fps

Huybeu99

I'm using Dell G7 7588 (I7-8750H GTX 1050TI). While I was playing game, there was a period of time when the fps dropped to 60 and then increased again. Here is my setup and log file when I play the game. Thanks!
image_2024-04-22_235445414.png

FIVR.png

TPL.png

option.png

Attachments

• 2024-04-22.txt
    441.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Your temperatures look good. There seems to be no reason to reduce the default turbo ratios in the FIVR window.

There are some odd POWER STATUS CHANGE messages showing up in the log file. This drops CPU performance in half or less but only for a couple of seconds each time. This might show up as sudden FPS drops followed by a quick recovery. I am not sure what is causing this. Are you running any Dell battery control software? These performance blips might be caused if the battery is only being charged to 70%. I prefer leaving the battery fully charged.

It is rare that a -180 mV undervolt for the cache is 100% stable. Try running the TS Bench 960M test. Does it report any errors? Many users with 8750H CPUs start to see errors when running this test if the cache offset is any more than about -130 mV. If you see any errors or blue screens during the TS Bench test, I would reduce the cache undervolt you are running.

You can try using the Windows High Performance power plan when playing a game. That usually does not make any difference but it might reduce latency a few milliseconds.

Overall your Dell G7 seems to be running well.

Huybeu99

There are some odd POWER STATUS CHANGE messages showing up in the log file. This drops CPU performance in half or less but only for a couple of seconds each time. This might show up as sudden FPS drops followed by a quick recovery. I am not sure what is causing this. Are you running any Dell battery control software? These performance blips might be caused if the battery is only being charged to 70%. I prefer leaving the battery fully charged.
Yes I use Dell Power Manager because it is recommended by Dell. In that I use "Primarily AC Use" and I always use the battery fully charged.
DPM.png

It is rare that a -180 mV undervolt for the cache is 100% stable. Try running the TS Bench 960M test. Does it report any errors? Many users with 8750H CPUs start to see errors when running this test if the cache offset is any more than about -130 mV. If you see any errors or blue screens during the TS Bench test, I would reduce the cache undervolt you are running.
I tried lowering it to the -130mV and in TPL I increase PL1 and PL2 to 50. While running TS Bench 960M test PL2 in core and EDP Other in Ring go red

Screenshot 2024-04-23 045958.png

And after 1 minute it's go like this
Screenshot 2024-04-23 050045.png

Attachments

• 2024-04-23.txt
    10.6 KB · Views: 12

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Did you first try running the TS Bench 960M test with the cache set to an offset of -180 mV? If no errors are reported then there is no reason to change your undervolt settings. If the TS Bench reports errors or crashes, you can decide whether that is important or not. Some users are happy as long as they are mostly game stable. They just blame the game or Windows when their computer inevitably crashes.

You have PL1 and PL2 set to 45W. That is not enough power to run an 8750H fully loaded at full speed. That is why PL1 and PL2 start lighting up red in Limit Reasons. That just shows that your computer is power limit throttling. You can try increasing both of these power limits to 60W or higher. Many similar Dell laptops will still be limited to only 45W during any long term stress test.