• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EDP other basically constantly red while playing games

ChaosMageTM

first my Laptop is a alienware 15 r3
with GTX 1060
CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz
16g ram

basically whenever i am playing any games its constant edp other i have my laptop open for this but its not giving any display they are going to my other 2 monitors

all these 3 screenshots were taken while running tekken 8 the game runs smoothly (sometimes) but it feels like there is a lack of performance if there is anything else i can give please tell me thankyou

Attachments

• tstop1.PNG
    tstop1.PNG
    46.1 KB · Views: 50
  • tstop2.PNG
    tstop2.PNG
    62 KB · Views: 51
  • tstop3.PNG
    tstop3.PNG
    19.8 KB · Views: 52

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Try setting Power Limit 4 to a value of 0. Having this set to 38 is probably why EDP is constantly red.

The 7700HQ does not support any overclocking so you might as well set the turbo ratios to the listed default values; 38, 36, 35, 34.

Setting IccMax to the max, 255.75, for both the core and the cache is a good idea. To make sure that ThrottleStop sends these values to the CPU, you need to check the Unlock Adjustable Voltage box for both the core and the cache.

Use ThrottleStop 9.6

There is rarely ever a need to check the More Data box.

In the TPL window check the MMIO Lock box which is near the top right of the TPL window.

Set the PP0 Power Limit to 0. Set the PP0 Turbo Time Limit to the minimum, 0.0010 seconds. Press the Apply button and then clear the check mark in the PP0 Power Limit box. There is usually no need to set or use this power limit.

After you get your settings fixed, check the Log File box on the main screen and go play a game for 15 minutes. Hopefully your computer runs better. When finished testing, exit the game and then exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize the log file. Attach a log to your next post so I can see if there are any problems.

Check the Nvidia GPU box in the Options window before you start logging data. This will tell ThrottleStop to add Nvidia GPU MHz and temperature data to the log file.

it feels like there is a lack of performance
Your CPU is running about 600 MHz slower than it should be running. The lack of performance is real. Hopefully ThrottleStop can help the cause.

ChaosMageTM

Try setting Power Limit 4 to a value of 0. Having this set to 38 is probably why EDP is constantly red.

The 7700HQ does not support any overclocking so you might as well set the turbo ratios to the listed default values; 38, 36, 35, 34.

Setting IccMax to the max, 255.75, for both the core and the cache is a good idea. To make sure that ThrottleStop sends these values to the CPU, you need to check the Unlock Adjustable Voltage box for both the core and the cache.

Use ThrottleStop 9.6

There is rarely ever a need to check the More Data box.

In the TPL window check the MMIO Lock box which is near the top right of the TPL window.

Set the PP0 Power Limit to 0. Set the PP0 Turbo Time Limit to the minimum, 0.0010 seconds. Press the Apply button and then clear the check mark in the PP0 Power Limit box. There is usually no need to set or use this power limit.

After you get your settings fixed, check the Log File box on the main screen and go play a game for 15 minutes. Hopefully your computer runs better. When finished testing, exit the game and then exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize the log file. Attach a log to your next post so I can see if there are any problems.

Check the Nvidia GPU box in the Options window before you start logging data. This will tell ThrottleStop to add Nvidia GPU MHz and temperature data to the log file.

Your CPU is running about 600 MHz slower than it should be running. The lack of performance is real. Hopefully ThrottleStop can help the cause.
ty for all the help i have attached the log file after doing all the changes you have requested i havnt felt like there has been any noticable performance increase but will see if thats another issue ig

Attachments

• 2024-04-18.txt
    105.7 KB · Views: 12

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
i haven't felt like there has been any noticeable performance increase
The log file shows that you fixed the EDP throttling problem. The CPU is able to run at its full rated speed but this causes it to overheat because of poor cooling. Have you ever cleaned out your laptop? Have you replaced the thermal paste? If yes, what thermal paste did you use? Honeywell PTM 7950 seems to work well long term on mobile CPUs. Some popular thermal pastes can start to fail within a week when applied direct die to a mobile CPU.

When your laptop starts running hot, that seems to trigger about 10 seconds of PL2 power limit throttling. That is why you are no further ahead after fixing the EDP throttling problem. I will assume you checked the MMIO Lock box in the TPL window. If Dell has programmed an embedded controller (EC) to lower the turbo power limits when your CPU gets too hot, the only solution is to improve the cooling so your CPU never reaches anything over 90°C.

A computer is not going to perform smoothly when the CPU reaches 100°C or becomes fully loaded and is spending 100% of its time in the C0 state. Games will randomly stutter and the FPS might drop significantly when a CPU is fully loaded like this. Try to improve the cooling and eliminate any useless background tasks.

It seems like it is becoming difficult to play games smoothly on seven year old mobile CPUs with only four cores. Software and drivers and Windows all become bigger and more bloated each year. If you are using a recent Nvidia GPU driver, I would uninstall that and try using an old driver version from a year or two ago.

C0% measures how hard the CPU is working. The log file shows that everything is Ok with C0% around 40%. Suddenly it jumps up to 100% which triggers overheating and power limit throttling. Either the game you are playing is poorly programmed, or maybe it is a driver issue or maybe you have something else running in the background on your computer that you are not aware of. After about 20 seconds it looks like things return to normal and this cycle of full load and throttling repeats.

Process Explorer might help you find what is randomly loading your CPU.

ChaosMageTM

thankyou for the help if its just a throttling issue now that can be fixed thankyou again