• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EXTREMES in testing hardware, normal budget combinations never tested

GPUs are tested with the best CPU available.
CPUs are tested with the best GPU available.

Why are sensible budget combinations never tested? As a customer you simply cannot find information anywhere about how these combinations perform.

For example graphic cards with budget friendly Intel 14500 CPU. (What is the AMD price equivalent to this CPU?)

Or CPUs with RX 7800 XT or RTX 4070 (super?) ?

Last edited:
System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Why are sensible budget combinations never tested?

You can find a lot on youtube.

Last edited:
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit

Why are sensible budget combinations never tested?
Because you don't want the component under test to be influenced (bottlenecked) by the other components, skewing the test results.

And who says your arbitrary examples of combinations are "sensible"? That is purely subjective.

You don't test a Bugatti on city streets with an amateur driver and where there are red lights, pedestrians and traffic jams. Or on the freeway where there is a 70mph speed limit.

Same with testing GPUs and CPUs. You wouldn't test the CPU with 4GB of RAM and a 5400RPM hard drive. Or a GPU with a monitor that only supports VGA and 640×480 resolution @ 60Hz.

So it only makes sense to ensure the only influences on the device are those imposed by the limitations of the device itself. Nothing else. Ensuring the components under test are not being restricted or limited or influenced in any way by other components in the test system is the ONLY WAY to fairly test and compare those components with their competitors.

Plus your arbitrary component examples (Intel 14500 CPU, AMD equivalent, RX 7800 XT, RTX 4070) are just that, arbitrary examples and totally useless to the 100s of millions of users who don't have those specific devices.

What you are asking for is to compare Computer A with Computer B. Those comparisons are everywhere.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
But the results you want can be easily extrapolated. Take a recent CPU review. Look at the desired resolution that you want to use. If at that resolution the CPU you are interested in doesn’t have a significant performance difference from the top performing SKU with a 4090 used (and anything in the ballpark of 5-10% I would not consider significant and anything lower is completely irrelevant) then the performance of the GPU you are interested in is also applicable from its review. If the delta is higher, then just take the averaged FPS from the GPU you are looking at review and subtract the necessary percentage. In the best case scenario the actual performance will be even better than what you get this way if the bottleneck turns out to be less significant in practice. It’s basic math and takes pretty much no time at all. Certainly less than it would take, say, W1zz, to rebench multiple CPU and GPU test systems every time.

System Name Gamey #1 / #2
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Core i7-9700F
Motherboard Asrock B450M P4 / Asrock B360M P4
Cooling IDCool SE-226-XT / CM Hyper 212
Memory 32GB 3200 CL16 / 32GB 2666 CL14
Video Card(s) PC 6800 XT / Soyo RTX 2060 Super
Storage 4TB Team MP34 / 512G Tosh RD400+2TB WD3Dblu
Display(s) LG 32GK650F 1440p 144Hz VA
Case Corsair 4000Air / CM N200
Audio Device(s) Dragonfly Black
Power Supply EVGA 650 G3 / Corsair CX550M
Mouse JSCO JNL-101k Noiseless
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 3 TKL
Software Win 10, Throttlestop
Youtube has enough decent reviewers to cover a lot of sensible CPU-GPU combinations. You can't get everything but testing one component while not being bottlenecked by the others is necessary to set the performance baseline. Check out RandomGamingInHD, he might cover equipment close to yours.

For example, I got a new low end GPU recently and tested it first with my 5800X3D to establish it's baseline, and now it's in its matching machine with much lower CPU resources. So I know for sure the hideous stutters in Hogwarts Legacy are the old CPU and not the GPU which performs admirably with the 5800X3D. Beforehand I might not know if the GPU was sometimes the issue (as everyone knows HL is CPU-broken) but now I know it's 100% the CPU's problem.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
But the results you want can be easily extrapolated.
If the device under test is not being restricted (bottlenecked) by some other component, then I totally agree. You can easily scale down results - or just guess with some assurance of accuracy.

But if the device under test is being bottlenecked, you cannot extrapolate or scale up (or guess) with any assurance the results are accurate. So again, if the goal of the test is to see what the test subject is capable of doing, you don't want the component under test to be restricted or influenced (bottlenecked) by any other component.

Even if you know what device is creating a bottleneck and restricting the performance of the device under test, there is no way to determine how far your device would otherwise go if it had absolutely no restrictions placed on it.

ir_cow

Staff member
GPU reviews are about the true potential, not what a $100 i3 will get in FPS.

CPU reviews are direct comparisons to others, so the best GPU is used to show its potential. At the same time you can also see how far back a lower CPU is on the FPS.

For example is say a Intel 14900K gets 300 fps using a 4090 on average (making numbers up). a i3 1400f gets 120 fps. That means you are wasting money buying any video card that does over 120fps, because that cpu is your bottleneck.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
@Bill_Bright
That was implied, obviously. I am not suggesting taking the results from tests that aren’t made with as many possible bottlenecks removed as possible. You will never be able to remove all of them completely, that’s implausible, and variance in test runs also obviously exists, but aforementioned extrapolation doesn’t need perfect baseline to go off on, “reasonably established as valid” is good enough in this case.

Example: W1zz could THEORETICALLY lessen the bottleneck on CPU review by using an overclocked to the gills 4090 Matrix. Or he could THEORETICALLY reduce the bottleneck on the GPU reviews by, again, OCing the hell out of the 14900K under an industrial chiller and using a golden sample chip with perfectly tuned memory. Both will be theoretically better, but in practice, what he has is enough.

Oh, @BoggledBeagle, what I described above is what ACTUAL Extreme testing would be for reviews. What W1zz does is just sane and reasonable best practices.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)

Why are sensible budget combinations never tested? As a customer you simply cannot find information anywhere about how these combinations perform.
This is intentionally done to remove bottlenecks created by lower performing support components.

Gaming at 4K is very taxing on the GPU, the CPU can generate enough frames but it's the GPU that the bottleneck. That's why this scenario is described as "GPU bound."

Gaming at 1080p on the other hand is something that a high-performance GPU can handle without issue; the graphics card can render as many frames as the CPU can throw at it. So this why a high-end GPU is used for testing CPUs.

Remember that these tests are all relative to the same type of components (CPUs, GPUs, sometimes SSDs, etc.).

Changing one variable for testing purposes is one of the key concepts of scientific methodology, something that should have been taught to you by the time you completed middle school.

System Name BOX
Processor Core i7 6950X @ 4,26GHz (1,28V)
Motherboard X99 SOC Champion (BIOS F23c + bifurcation mod)
Cooling Thermalright Venomous-X + 2x Delta 38mm PWM (Push-Pull)
Memory Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 4x8GB (@3240MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @ 1,48V)
Video Card(s) Titan V (~1650MHz @ 0.77V, HBM2 1GHz, Forced P2 state [OFF])
Storage WD SN850X 2TB + Samsung EVO 2TB (SATA) + Seagate Exos X20 20TB (4Kn mode)
Display(s) LG 27GP950-B
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) Motu M4 (audio interface) + ATH-A900Z + Behringer C-1
Power Supply Seasonic X-760 (760W)
Mouse Logitech RX-250
Keyboard HP KB-9970
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

For example graphic cards with budget friendly Intel 14500 CPU. (What is the AMD price equivalent for this CPU?)

Because it's too specific budget window that can't be "generalized" to be "optimal" for everyone.
It also doesn't help that adding "a bit more" nets you 13600(k)/14600(k), or a bit less 12400(F) with different GPU.
At which point, you need to ask yourself : How many people will use such configuration ?
Don't blame reviewers, blame Intel for throwing specs that are too similar to each other in model packed stack (+ again, going cheap now is the better deal long term). Lastly, you can pretty much guessimate "best case" for performance uplift from pure clock difference between similar mid range CPUs (12400F vs. 12600), and if that difference is a lot lower than price difference... what is the point of testing faster CPU ?

Next, most reviewers don't buy things they are testing, and spending your own money and not buying "optimal" CPU for tests isn't sustainable over long period of time.
They also don't receive "inferior" product to tests, because that's bad PR/AD, so there is no good reason to make possibly negative review from both manufacturer and review side.

Well, there are OEMs in which you can weird combos, but again money to review them is an issue (unless you are GN but solid subscriber base).

In short : Buy 14500 and make a review about it if you think it's worth buying :)

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
and variance in test runs also obviously exists
Not just test runs. Some variables are impossible to eliminate. The perfect example is comparing AMD CPUs with Intel CPUs. You can use the exact same RAM, exact same graphics card and monitor, exact same keyboard and mouse, exact same drives, exact same OS and benchmark programs. But AMD and Intel CPUs run on different motherboard platforms using different chipsets. No way around that.

That was implied, obviously.
I understood. And obviously it was obvious in your head. But we cannot assume anything is obvious to everyone reading. Hence my comment.

Next, most reviewers don't buy things they are testing
Right. This is why I like Consumer Reports. They do send out "secret shoppers" who buy test units "off the shelf", just as we consumers do. And they have professionally equipped labs and real, qualified techs doing the testing. Sadly, they don't test individual computer components for us self-builders. :( I've written to the editors and asked them to several times to test components, but for some reason, they don't listen to me. ;)

They also don't receive "inferior" product to tests
No but they could receive optimally tweaked products so that is always a concern when they are provided test samples from the maker.
so there is no good reason to make negative review from both manufacturer and review side.
Ummm, I don't understand this. Please clarify.

Sure there is good reason for negative reviews. We see negative reviews often where the product fails to meet ATX standards, or fails to meet 80 Plus certification requirements, or fails to meet published specs, or fails to score well against the products it competes with.

So the ultimate good reason is to inform their readers of the facts.

System Name BOX
Processor Core i7 6950X @ 4,26GHz (1,28V)
Motherboard X99 SOC Champion (BIOS F23c + bifurcation mod)
Cooling Thermalright Venomous-X + 2x Delta 38mm PWM (Push-Pull)
Memory Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 4x8GB (@3240MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @ 1,48V)
Video Card(s) Titan V (~1650MHz @ 0.77V, HBM2 1GHz, Forced P2 state [OFF])
Storage WD SN850X 2TB + Samsung EVO 2TB (SATA) + Seagate Exos X20 20TB (4Kn mode)
Display(s) LG 27GP950-B
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) Motu M4 (audio interface) + ATH-A900Z + Behringer C-1
Power Supply Seasonic X-760 (760W)
Mouse Logitech RX-250
Keyboard HP KB-9970
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
(1)Right. This is why I like Consumer Reports. They do send out "secret shoppers" who buy test units "off the shelf", just as we consumers do. And they have professionally equipped labs and real, qualified techs doing the testing. Sadly, they don't test individual computer components for us self-builders. :( I've written to the editors and asked them to several times to test components, but for some reason, they don't listen to me. ;)

(2)No but they could receive optimally tweaked products so that is always a concern when they are provided test samples from the maker.

(3)Ummm, I don't understand this. Please clarify.

(4)Sure there is good reason for negative reviews. We see negative reviews often where the product fails to meet ATX standards, or fails to meet 80 Plus certification requirements, or fails to meet published specs, or fails to score well against the products it competes with.

(5)So the ultimate good reason is to inform their readers of the facts.
Ad. 1. They don't listen, because it's too boring of a topic to make video about (keep in mind, you can use simple math to figure out perf. of such procesor based on cheaper/more expensive ones data). There is quite limited number of things a locked CPUs can have "unoptimised behind your back" vs. review sample.
Ad. 2. "Inferior" wasn't about it being badly optimized. It was about : Ad. 3/4.
Ad. 4. Example : A 14500 review from GN would probably look like RTX 2080 Super one (where 12400(F)/13400(F) is 2080/1080 Ti, and 14500 is 2080 Super). You can watch that review to see if it's "positive" or "negative" one.
Does it help consumers, Yes - 100%. Does reviewer get black listed by manufacturer for doing it... probably.
Can a single individual that tests stuff a lot, afford this kind of "heat" from potential hardware supplier ?
Unlikely.
Result : No reviews of such products.
Doesn't matter how optimized it is, when market simply has better options.
That makes it inferior product (it's about environment it releases in, and not individual part quality).

In other words : If it's not halo product, it must overcome perf/price ratio wall (unless some special "features" are desirable to make it worth it regardless). Example : If a higher CPU model isn't better enough in this metric than the lower one (features be damned) - it shouldn't get a good/positive review in my opinion (regardless of how "optimized" someone says it is).

Ad. 3. "No good reason" from my point of view = Manufacturer is "unhappy" about loss of sales, and reviewer loses "trust" of manufacturer.
That's why negative reviews aren't "popular", or repeated all the time, and why I wrote they don't have "a good reason" to be made (from business point of view).
If hype or "feelings" are at stake (because someone f***ed up MASSIVELY at one company), well - that's on them.
Hypetrains come in all sizes and can be both negative and positive (can even change mid way).
I don't mention such cases since your topic isn't about them though.

Ad. 5.
So the ultimate good reason is to inform their readers of the facts.
Ultimate "good reason" for a professional reviewer is to make a living. Not everyone can make a living out of donations after all.
Unless someone "f***s up big time", making negative reviews isn't desirable from business point of view.

PS. Inform in unbiased manner if you think a topic is worth it BUT, don't force your point of view on others.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

For example graphic cards with budget friendly Intel 14500 CPU. (What is the AMD price equivalent for this CPU?)

Its generally just not rocket science to get a good idea of relative performance. Although it does require you to actually think and read about a review, how it tests, and what the tests mean. But honestly: do you really need to know the exact performance of a given combination in a specific application? How relevant is that? Nobody buys a PC for a single application. And if you do, you'd rather find some deep dive on the specific app in question. Much more relevant is the data of relative performance. How do products stack up against each other, and how do they compare in perf/$ and stuff. You're gonna buy something anyway.

What I would certainly like to see in reviews are mixed load scenarios. Different combos not so much. But the influence of background tasks on say, games running? Very interesting. Its more than just performance, really. Its also how CPUs handle scheduling; when you're hitting bandwidth or throughput bottlenecks, etc.

Also, if you want to cross compare reviews and results over time, doing so on various combinations is just virtually impossible. Every combination is a separate dataset really.

I understand the idea behind removing all possible bottlenecks to test the performance of the product, but the unfortunate result is that in the review of 14500 for example, you will find its gaming performance in comparison with other CPUs with 4090. You will find that it performs better than CPU B. But what if it was paired with some budget appropriate card? What if the performance is nearly identical in that case? The information how 14500 performs with 4090 is useless.

I think reviewers are just lazy. They need to test more CPU/GPU combinations. I do not say all combinations, because some combinations are silly.

Beside testing mixed load scenarios, as Vayra mentioned, there is also a gaping hole between 1 and all threads loads. Take a Cinebench as an example when testing two CPUs capable of running 32 threads. Why not to test 1, 8, 16, 24 and 32 threads loads? Testing different load intensities could be useful too. You could observe performance, frequencies, power draw, efficiency, etc.

Case Apple proprietary
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
I understand the idea behind removing all possible bottlenecks to test the performance of the product, but the unfortunate result is that in the review of 14500 for example, you will find its gaming performance in comparison with other CPUs with 4090. You will find that it performs better than CPU B. But what if it was paired with some budget appropriate card? What if the performance is nearly identical in that case? The information how 14500 performs with 4090 is useless.

I think reviewers are just lazy. They need to test more CPU/GPU combinations. I do not say all combinations, because some combinations are silly.

Beside testing mixed load scenarios, as Vayra mentioned, there is also a gaping hole between 1 and all threads loads. Take a Cinebench as an example when testing two CPUs capable of running 32 threads. Why not to test 1, 8, 16, 24 and 32 threads loads? Testing different load intensities could be useful too. You could observe performance, frequencies, power draw, efficiency, etc.
Why?

Any review of a graphics card or CPU ends up being a binary decision: A.) I will buy it, or B.) I will not buy it.

Some reviewers do twice the testing by using one AMD build and one Intel build. How many more combinations will it take to satisfy you, Joe Dorkwad across town, some kid in Bangladesh?

And many of these reviewers are testing 10, 15, 20 suites of games, not just one title. Plus synthetic benchmarks. Plus power, heat and acoustic testing. Taking unboxing pictures. Some even deshroud the cards to inspect the PCBs.

It takes time for reviewers to do all this. How much more time should they spend on this? Will you personally contribute to their paycheck?

This is starting to smack VERY loudly of entitlement.

Look, PC component reviewers aren't your mom cooking you your favorite breakfast.

:):p:D

Should the TPU folks here start taking up suggestions?

"I'd like TPU to test the Dodgy Bros. Foobar 2000 XT with my SuperSkank 450 motherboard, Dorkwad CPU cooler modded with Crapola fans, in this vintage Mian-Mi case that I bought 25 years ago and modded with my Gremle chainsaw... Oh yes, I used minty fresh Crest gel toothpaste as my TIM. Thanks!"

:peace::lovetpu:

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Last edited:
Reviews are about providing useful information to readers/viewers. NOBODY will use 14500 with 4090! Yet the reviews provide such information and do not provide information about how it performs with budget appropriate GPU.

Last edited:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
I've tested with realistic hardware for like a decade .. then people kept giving me shit .. "you're bottlenecking your CPU", "you are bottlenecking the GPU" ..

Case Apple proprietary
I've tested with realistic hardware for like a decade .. then people kept giving me shit .. "you're bottlenecking your CPU", "you are bottlenecking the GPU" ..
Which is what you don't want to do if you are trying to determine the maximum potential of the hardware being tested.

That's why all serious PC hardware reviewers use the same methodology these days.

Sure, someone could test GPUs in an external GPU enclosure (like a Sonnet or Razer) plugged into a Thunderbolt port on some four-year old ultrabook. That's realistic. The external GPU enclosure lops off about a third of the performance.

If OP really thinks the marketplace is missing that type of review, he should start doing them himself and find out how easy it is to monetize those reviews.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Ad. 1. They don't listen, because it's too boring of a topic to make video about
No. They don't listen because computer components are not purchases a significant number of their readers purchase. I note they do conducts reviews on entire computers (laptops and PCs), even monitors (for typical home office use) - but not graphics cards, PSUs, etc.

Doesn't matter how optimized it is, when market simply has better options.
It matters because a good review makes for good marketing/advertising fodder. The market having better options is immaterial if the market (the consumers) are not aware of those better options. We see the results of this all the time when consumers buy inferior products, often simply because they are a few cents less expensive. The bigger problem is, most consumers don't do due diligence when researching their option.

I understand the idea behind removing all possible bottlenecks to test the performance of the product, but the unfortunate result is that in the review of 14500 for example, you will find its gaming performance in comparison with other CPUs with 4090.
No, sorry. That is incorrect. It is just not true at all. :( Sorry, but clearly you do not understand. First, removing all possible bottlenecks levels the playing field. Therefore, if reviewing CPUs, for example, you will find the review (assuming it is otherwise, a proper review) compares the CPU's performance against ALL other CPUs, not just one or two. And that's a very good thing.

I think reviewers are just lazy.
Clearly a blanket statement, and like all blanket statement, it is wrong. Of course, some reviewers are lazy. In fact, some self-proclaimed reviewer do absolutely nothing but repeat (even copy and paste! :() the marketing hype directly from the manufacturer, then call that a review. Now that's lazy - and pathetic. It also does a disservice to the consumer as well as legitimate reviewers.

But, as cvaldes correctly notes, other reviewers are very comprehensive, evaluating not just physical (electrical) performance in terms of power demands, efficiencies, noise, heat generation, cooling capabilities and more, but also in very "mixed load" scenarios with a wide variety of programs (real world, benchmarking, and stress).

For you to suggest such reviews are not happening is, sadly, illustrating a significant lack of knowledge and understanding on your part about what's out there in terms of review sites and reviewers. That is NOT meant to be a criticism and my apologies as I recognize it sounds like it. It is just a clear as a bell observation.

Now of course, proper research requires looking at more than just one review. But that's not hard as there are more than just one out there and they are easy to find. Just enter the brand, model number and the word "review" in your favorite search engine, then weed through the dozens of results. It will not take long to figure out which reviews are legitimate and worth the time to read, and which are not. A good review site to start with is right here at TPU.

Yeah, some people love to hate. It seems they feel emboldened to do so when hiding behind a keyboard, on the other side of the Internet. I assume you have learned to give them all the attention they deserve! ;)

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
I think reviewers are just lazy.

what? I dont see how thats the case at all. You get a definition of what could be the best in any given scenario. You can extrapolate performance from that. There are too many combinations.

Its unrealistic and testing low to mid end hardware wont fix it.

Further tweaks can be made per game, or engine if you want to be that pandantic.

If you dont have the best GPU or CPU then you are simply slower. Thats the point. You can go look at old tests on old CPUs and how they compare to new so you can make educated guesses on where you might end up landing.

There are hundreds of CPU and GPU comparisons to each other.

I think buyers are just lazy.

Wrong. The 14600K is an excellent performer at stock with the 4090 even at 1440p (see TPU's review) making it a reasonable match, and the 14500 will be less than 5% behind based on it's specs. An amount you'll never notice without an fps counter active. Which means it will handle Every. Other. GPU. with ease.

I think you sound entitled. Reviewers are busy and do the tests they find interesting, informative, and will drive views where they're published.

Because who's gonna run Cinebench at half the thread count? What would be the point of buying a 32T CPU and testing only 16T? Just buy the a 16T CPU for less if that's all you need. And the 16T performance doesn't tell you about how another software title will work with 16T, only gimped Cinebench. That information does not translate to different apps so you need to test those packages as well, which reviewers do. Some like Photoshop use only a few cores max and some like CB use all of them.

Reviews are about providing useful information to readers/viewers. NOBODY will use 14500 with 4090! Yet the reviews provide such information and do not provide information about how it performs with budget appropriate GPU.

As mentioned the 14500 will be negligibly different than the 14600K at stock and therefore will match very well with every GPU less than the 4090, and still does a good job with the 4090.

I understand that it is impossible to satisfy all readers, that it is not possible to test all CPU/GPU combinations, but I think that each review should contain some information about performance of parts that belong to each other, to give information to support realistic decision making scenarios the consumers face.

Because who's gonna run Cinebench at half the thread count?
Nobody, but you may find yourself in situation when you load the CPU with one or combination of different applications with similar intensity.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
about performance of parts that belong to each other
What "belong to each other"

Doesn't that depend on the buyers budget and what they'd like to buy?

OK: I bought an R5 5600 and later on a 6800 XT. Based on the FPS and 1% lows of both the 5600 and the 6800 XT, it was very easy to understand where the 5600 would be the bottleneck and where the 6800 XT would be delivering >95% of it's capability. I didn't need to guess, I could look at the games I play which are reviewed here and at other places and estimate. Nobody's paired the 5600 and 6800 XT in a review that I remember reading/watching yet it was pretty easy to know where the performance would lie based on FPS reviews of the 5600 with the top end GPU when it came out, and the 6800 XT with a top end CPU when it debuted.

System Name Windows | Linux
Processor 14900KS | 7950X3D
Motherboard Z790 Apex Encore | X670 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Arctic LF III 420 | Noctua NH-D15
Memory 48GB 8200 CL38 | 64GB 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 | RX 7900XTX
Display(s) MSI MAG401QR
Case Asus PA602 | Antec P101s
Power Supply Vertex GX-1000 | Prime TX-850
Software Win 11 Pro | Debian
Benchmark Scores They suck.
I just checked for you. I await your first set of reviews.

1711399918706.png