• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

game freezes and starts beeping when i click/press keys on keyboard.

this is pretty much happening on this game alone : batman arkham city
and also while emulating zelda windwaker on dolphin emulator

this is not my computer but im trying to help a friend that has a similar system than mine, his specs:

ryzen 5600x
rtx 4070 asus dual
psu xpg pylon 750w bronze
4x8 (32gb total) xpg spectrix 3200 ram
win 10 pro

videos of the problem:
do turn the audio so you get to listen to the beeping sound.

if theres anything else to provide let me know.

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
is the system overclocked? drivers updated?

is the system overclocked? drivers updated?
from what he told me he used to have it with curve optimizer on - on certain cores, but he also tried it on default mode meaning no curve optimizer and still the problem occurred, also drivers are updated yes.

Processor Intel i5 9400f
Motherboard MSI Z390 Gaming Plus
Cooling SilentiumPC Fera 3
Memory 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 16-18-18-36
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1660 Super Ventus XS OC
Storage 500 GB Kingston A2000; 1 TB Kingston A2000; 1 TB HGST Travelstar
Display(s) AOC 24G2U
Case SilentiumPC Signum SG1
Audio Device(s) Creative Pebble Plus; Logitech G533
Power Supply beQuiet Systempower 9 500W
Mouse Logitech G403 Hero
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Origins (Red)
Software Windows 10 Pro
Never played the game, is it in the introductory cutscene? Because PCGamingWiki has a note about needing PhysX or disabling it
I played it on my PC without a problem and as I've said we have similar systems, the only thing we have different is the PSU and the rams different models on both cases: I have 2x16 gb ram Kingston fury and a core reactor PSU.
I really don't understand this issue that he's having tbh.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
It is important to determine where the beeping if coming from.

Does it come from the computer speakers or from inside the case? If inside the case, that is from the BIOS and the beeps indicate a system error. Note the pattern of the beeps - like 2 longs and a short beep, or 4 short beeps as examples.

It is important to determine where the beeping if coming from.

Does it come from the computer speakers or from inside the case? If inside the case, that is from the BIOS and the beeps indicate a system error. Note the pattern of the beeps - like 2 longs and a short beep, or 4 short beeps as examples.
The beeping comes from the computer speakers not from the motherboard, this motherboard doesn't have the "speaker" device sound thingy.

Processor Intel i5 9400f
Motherboard MSI Z390 Gaming Plus
Cooling SilentiumPC Fera 3
Memory 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 16-18-18-36
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1660 Super Ventus XS OC
Storage 500 GB Kingston A2000; 1 TB Kingston A2000; 1 TB HGST Travelstar
Display(s) AOC 24G2U
Case SilentiumPC Signum SG1
Audio Device(s) Creative Pebble Plus; Logitech G533
Power Supply beQuiet Systempower 9 500W
Mouse Logitech G403 Hero
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Origins (Red)
Software Windows 10 Pro
I played it on my PC without a problem and as I've said we have similar systems, the only thing we have different is the PSU and the rams different models on both cases: I have 2x16 gb ram Kingston fury and a core reactor PSU.
I really don't understand this issue that he's having tbh.
PhysX is software and this is most likely a software issue anyway. He can try downloading and installing PhysX from here.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Memory G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14D-32GTZ
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 4080 16GB X3
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x (2021)
Does your friend have any keyboard accessibility settings enabled in Windows? The beeps sound a bit too low in frequency for it to be that, but Sticky Keys/Toggle Keys tend to come up at the most inopportune times if enabled.

Does your friend have any keyboard accessibility settings enabled in Windows? The beeps sound a bit too low in frequency for it to be that, but Sticky Keys/Toggle Keys tend to come up at the most inopportune times if enabled.
As far I know no, he doesn't have that enabled.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
this motherboard doesn't have the "speaker" device sound thingy.
That's too bad - especially since all ATX format motherboards support a system speaker and at least some basic beep codes. And they have the necessary connector for one too. It is right there with the case's front panel power switch, reset switch and drive activity LED header on the motherboard. Takes a couple seconds to install. I always add one to our builds if the motherboard does not already have one.

They are so inexpensive too. See It is very inexpensive to add a System Speaker. Note that price is for 30 speakers!

Even if not concerned with beep "error" codes, I find that one, short beep, indicating a "successful" POST (power-on self test), reassuring.

That's too bad - especially since all ATX format motherboards support a system speaker and at least some basic beep codes. And they have the necessary connector for one too. It is right there with the case's front panel power switch, reset switch and drive activity LED header on the motherboard. Takes a couple seconds to install. I always add one to our builds if the motherboard does not already have one.

They are so inexpensive too. See It is very inexpensive to add a System Speaker. Note that price is for 30 speakers!

Even if not concerned with beep "error" codes, I find that one, short beep, indicating a "successful" POST (power-on self test), reassuring.
this is Micro ATX though, i have a system speaker at my place i offered it to him, apparently he tested and again the sound comes from the computer speakers not the motherboard.

PhysX is software and this is most likely a software issue anyway. He can try downloading and installing PhysX from here.
apparently so far this has done the job for him, i told him to keep testing but so far no more of the problem, thank you :)

edit: nvm its still happening :/

Last edited:
alright incase anyone is wondering we found the culprit or what it looks to be so far after many test:
it was a Bluetooth receptor... after removing it, no more of the issue and it was tested many times just to be sure.
how the problem became alive? apparently when using the xbox controller with this particular game again i dont understand how this works and why just this game, but only with this game the problem came alive, we removed the receptor and tried another and no more issues, maybe someone can elaborate on why something like this can happen? and why only with this game.

System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
That noise happens from repeat/held keystrokes, IIRC.

Check accessibility options, make sure StickyKeys is off.

However, this is almost reminding me of how FEAR had an engine incompatibility with many Logitech HIDs.
Try unplugging the KB or use an entirely different KB. Maybe, even try a BT KB as a diagnostic step?

Edit:
alright incase anyone is wondering we found the culprit or what it looks to be so far after many test:
it was a Bluetooth receptor... after removing it, no more of the issue and it was tested many times just to be sure.
how the problem became alive? apparently when using the xbox controller with this particular game again i dont understand how this works and why just this game, but only with this game the problem came alive, we removed the receptor and tried another and no more issues, maybe someone can elaborate on why something like this can happen? and why only with this game.
Yup. Driver conflict I'd bet. Glad it's fixed.

That noise happens from repeat/held keystrokes, IIRC.

Check accessibility options, make sure StickyKeys is off.

However, this is almost reminding me of how FEAR had an engine incompatibility with many Logitech HIDs.
Try unplugging the KB or use an entirely different KB. Maybe, even try a BT KB as a diagnostic step?

Edit:

Yup. Driver conflict I'd bet. Glad it's fixed.
it was some generic Bluetooth receiver, still one do wonder, why just on this game ? he has played other games while using this receiver with the xbox controller and never happend this issue till now.

System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
it was some generic Bluetooth receiver, still one do wonder, why just on this game ? he has played other games while using this receiver with the xbox controller and never happend this issue till now.
Not sure, but...
I've experienced USB-BT/WiFi interference on a Steam Deck.

Personally, I'd lean towards some weird HID driver incompatibilities.
You mentioned 1 particular emulated game does the same, and Arkham Asylum is a 'port' also. So, I'd presume its related to how input is 'adapted' into the respective game engines.

You might have some luck finding an answer in the emu community.
-not uncommon for devs and contributors to 'pipe in'.