• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help Throttlestop Constant EDP Other; Pl1 and Pl2 Limits both yellow and Red

matiasbertotti

Hi everyone, i recently being struggling with my CPU cause its being reaching high temperatures while playing videogames, I disabled "Turbo Boost" and my games are still really playable after it but i know I'm losing horsepower of my CPU doing that, I recently found out throttlestop and that I can limit the Pl1 and Pl2 so i can be at normal temepratures while playing, also by just adjusting Speed Shift EPP i found out my CPU does not get high temperatures as before. But I'm a little bit concerned of the messages that i receive of Throttlestop. My question is, I shouldn't care about this? Should i change something? I just want to play videogames with temperatures in between 70 - 80 and not 90 - 100.

The first image is while I'm doing a test with Cinebench, the second one is in idle. Sometimes EDP Other goes red on "Ring".

I added a Third Image while on a playing "The outer Worlds", in the past by this time i would be already hitting 90°C If not more, just by starting the game, but modifying the Speed Shift EPP a little further i see this results and every lecture goes away. What's the reason behind? going back to the desktop EDP Other comes back in Ring and GPU.

Any help will be highly appreciate. Thank you very much :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-28 135433.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-28 135433.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot 2024-03-28 135515.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-28 135515.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot 2024-03-28 140746.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-28 140746.png
    5.4 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
You can adjust Speed Shift EPP and the turbo power limits however you like. Some people prefer a cool running laptop instead of absolute maximum performance. When using ThrottleStop the choice is yours.

For maximum Cinebench performance I would check the MMIO Lock box in the TPL window and I would set PL1 and PL2 to about 150W. That should help reduce power limit throttling when running Cinebench. Your score should increase too.

Where is a picture of the FIVR window? Are you using ThrottleStop to undervolt your CPU? You should be doing that.

Remember to exit HWiNFO when testing with Limit Reasons.

matiasbertotti

Hi, thanks for replying :)

So my objective is to play video games and use Unity3d and Blender while my laptop runs cool, even thought performance is affected a little im okay if temperatures are normal. I didn't show up FIVR window cause everything its locked (my laptop is an Acer Predator Helios Neo 16) and i thing that Acer locked some of the CPU settings cause even on XTU everything but the TPL is locked. However here is an SS
Screenshot 2024-03-28 191843.png
I did again the testing making sure HWINFO was off (sorry) and this is the results while playing "The outer worlds" (Before i was getting spikes of 100°C when playing but now temperatures are keeping up amazingly)

Screenshot 2024-03-28 192325.png
And while playing it for 5 minutes that's pretty much what it shown.

So about cinebench, i just wanted to test the maximum temperatures that the CPU could reach with the settings i just established, but then not on the first time it renders the image but the second time it show all of those.

Screenshot 2024-03-28 192508.png
I cannot undervolt my CPU unfortunately, but with the settings i just established i seem to be having good temperatures, my question is, can i let those configurations just like they are? from what i got the PL1 and PL2 throttling is because my CPU ask/needs more energy that is not being delivered because of the actual limitations i set right? Is this bad in the long run or i can just keep them like that?
Also having EDP Other allways on could bring problems in the future?
My priority is a cool pc while gaming and using Unity3d and Blender of course without compromising performance a lot.

Should i change something or its okay to keep it like that?

Thanks again for all the help :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-28 193654.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-28 193654.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 21

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Setting PL1 to 70 causes power limit throttling when running Cinebench. I told you that if you want maximum performance during Cinebench, set PL1 and PL2 to 150.

Locked undervolt settings can be unlocked. Do a Google search for Acer CFG Lock. You might find some info about how to unlock an Acer laptop.

If you are happy with your cooler running laptop then there is no need to do anything else. Forcing your CPU to power limit throttle does not hurt anything.

matiasbertotti

Perfect then, thank you very much for all your help. This app is really amazing and your help too if it wasn't for it i would still be struggling with bad temps! Ill check that CFG lock you mention. Thanks agains!