• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HIFIMAN Arya Organic Open-Back Headphones

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
The Arya Organic is the latest iteration in HIFIMAN's popular Arya line of open-back planar magnetic headphones. This version goes for a novel driver implementation to put out a bass shelf that makes for a nightclub party for one while retaining the excellent comfort and fit the Arya is known for.

Show full review

System Name Purple Haze | Vacuum Box
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D (-30 CO) | Intel® Xeon® E3-1241 v3
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H
Cooling Dark Rock 4 Pro, P14, P12, T30 case fans | 212 Evo & P12 PWM PST x2, Arctic P14 & P12 case fans
Memory 32GB Ballistix (Micron E 19nm) CL16 @3733MHz | 32GB HyperX Beast 2400MHz (XMP)
Video Card(s) AMD 6900XTXH ASRock OC Formula & Phanteks T30x3 | AMD 5700XT Sapphire Nitro+ & Arctic P12x2
Storage ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB, Toshiba P300 3TB x2 | Kingston A400 120GB, Fanxiang S500 Pro 256GB
Display(s) Mi 2K Gaming Monitor 27", AOC 24G2U
Case Modded MS Industrial Titan II Pro RGB | Heavily Modded Cooler Master Q500L
Audio Device(s) Audient iD14 MKII, Adam Audio T8Vs, Bloody M550, HiFiMan HE400se, Tascam TM-80
Power Supply Rosewill Capstone 1000M | Enermax Revolution X't 730W (both with P14 fans)
Mouse Logitech G305, Bloody A91, Amazon basics, Logitech M187
Keyboard Redragon K530, Bloody B930, Epomaker TH80 SE, BTC 9110
Software W10 LTSC 21H2
Hifiman and their packaging... The very same box and a damn foam stand my HE400SE came in/with. Kinda funny, considering the 10x higher price.

Edit: 12x higher price. It was on sale.

Last edited:
System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
@VSG
So how much would you say this one is a jump over the usual planar mid-budget darlings like the Sundara, Venus or, hell, even the Para nowadays considering the 1.5-2.5x price increase? Just as a personal opinion, obviously.

Cooling Dark Rock 4 Pro, P14, P12, T30 case fans | 212 Evo & P12 PWM PST x2, Arctic P14 & P12 case fans
Memory 32GB Ballistix (Micron E 19nm) CL16 @3733MHz | 32GB HyperX Beast 2400MHz (XMP)
Video Card(s) AMD 6900XTXH ASRock OC Formula & Phanteks T30x3 | AMD 5700XT Sapphire Nitro+ & Arctic P12x2
Storage ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB, Toshiba P300 3TB x2 | Kingston A400 120GB, Fanxiang S500 Pro 256GB
Audio Device(s) Audient iD14 MKII, Adam Audio T8Vs, Bloody M550, HiFiMan HE400se, Tascam TM-80
Power Supply Rosewill Capstone 1000M | Enermax Revolution X't 730W (both with P14 fans)
Software W10 LTSC 21H2
@VSG
So how much would you say this one is a jump over the usual planar mid-budget darlings like the Sundara, Venus or, hell, even the Para nowadays considering the 1.5-2x price increase? Just as a personal opinion, obviously.
I'm eyeing the Sundara for some time. Saw it around 230EUR once on Amazon sale. I also wonder is it an upgrade from HE400SE at all.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
@VSG
So how much would you say this one is a jump over the usual planar mid-budget darlings like the Sundara, Venus or, hell, even the Para nowadays considering the 1.5-2.5x price increase? Just as a personal opinion, obviously.
The tonality of the Sundara and Para might be more universally appealing actually. The Arya Organic does have significantly better detail retrieval and a bigger soundstage and the bass shelf can be attractive to some, but I'd personally go for the Para to save the money or HE1000 Stealth for not that much more.

System Name Mean machine
Processor 13900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Video Card(s) 4090 Gamerock oc
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Arya / a30 - d30 pro stack
Power Supply Be quiet dark power pro 1200
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
How do they compare to the Arya stealth? Especially the bass part? To my ears the stealth feel like they have no bass, until a track really needs it, and then they drop the goods and I'm like holy cow that's insane.

I see they are still using that cable, it's absolutely horrible and it gets damaged within a few months.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
How do they compare to the Arya stealth? Especially the bass part? To my ears the stealth feel like they have no bass, until a track really needs it, and then they drop the goods and I'm like holy cow that's insane.

I see they are still using that cable, it's absolutely horrible and it gets damaged within a few months.
The Arya Organic absolutely bests the Arya Stealth, and pretty much any other HIFIMAN open-back, for bass. It's got decent bass texture on top of an appreciable quantity too.

The cable is actually brand new here, it's not the same as on any other HIFIMAN product.

System Name Mean machine
Processor 13900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Video Card(s) 4090 Gamerock oc
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Arya / a30 - d30 pro stack
Power Supply Be quiet dark power pro 1200
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
The Arya Organic absolutely bests the Arya Stealth, and pretty much any other HIFIMAN open-back, for bass. It's got decent bass texture on top of an appreciable quantity too.

The cable is actually brand new here, it's not the same as on any other HIFIMAN product.
Ah damn, now I'm intrigued but I can't justify myself the "upgrade"

The cable looks very similar from the pictures. If I remember correctly, they used to sell from their site for 220 euros or something

System Name HTPC whhaaaat?
Processor 2600k @ 4500mhz
Motherboard Asus Maximus IV gene-z gen3
Cooling Noctua NH-C14
Memory Gskill Ripjaw 2x4gb
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 FTW @ 2037/11016
Storage 2x512GB MX100/1x Agility 3 128gb ssds, Seagate 3TB HDD
Display(s) Vizio P 65'' 4k tv
Case Lian Li pc-c50b
Audio Device(s) Denon 3311
Power Supply Corsair 620HX

While we've got you on the line, how do you feel about the XS?

I e-mailed them and begged for a wireless version, especially after they discontinued the Ananda-BT. No go and they suggested wireless closed-backs (um...no); made me sad because I don't think I'm the only one that would like to see it, especially if they could keep a similar price; that was always the main problem with the A-BT, imo. Well, that and the fact I think some people just straight-up like the slightly different tuning on the XS.

Still kinda back to thinking of pairing the reg XS (which can be had pretty cheap now) with an Ifi Go Blu or Qudelix-5k stuck around the cup or as a small necklace (short wire), which I understand might sound goofy, but I just don't know where else to turn for something similar.

Hoping maybe Sony/Audeze make a newer Maxwell (or something evolutionary better and open-back), as that could be neat if it were to exist (it would be nice if a 2.4ghz [Playstation]/BT open-back existed).

Any personal suggestions for a bass-decent setup (or even pseudo-setup) for open-back wireless planars that are relatively affordable (with decent to mildly-accentuated bass)?

With how quick this market moves and how much stuff I already own, I don't know if I could (personally) ever really justify spending more than ~$400-500 ever again.

Wireless is mandatory, because I just wanna dance (don't judge me) and I'm terrible with getting wires snagged on something when AFK.

Last edited:

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
While we've got you on the line, how do you feel about the XS?

I e-mailed them and begged for a wireless version, especially after they discontinued the Ananda-BT. No go and they suggested wireless closed-backs (um...no); made me sad because I don't think I'm the only one that would like to see it, especially if they could keep a similar price; that was always the main problem with the A-BT, imo. Well, that and the fact I think some people just straight-up like the slightly different tuning on the XS.

Still kinda back to thinking of pairing the reg XS (which can be had pretty cheap now) with an Ifi Go Blu or Qudelix-5k stuck around the cup or as a small necklace (short wire), which I understand might sound goofy, but I just don't know where else to turn for something similar.

Hoping maybe Sony/Audeze make a newer Maxwell (or something evolutionary better and open-back), as that could be neat if it were to exist (it would be nice if a 2.4ghz [Playstation]/BT open-back existed).

Any personal suggestions for a bass-decent setup (or even pseudo-setup) for open-back wireless planars that are relatively affordable (with decent to mildly-accentuated bass)?

With how quick this market moves and how much stuff I already own, I don't know if I could (personally) ever really justify spending more than ~$400-500 ever again.

Wireless is mandatory, because I just wanna dance (don't judge me) and I'm terrible with getting wires snagged on something when AFK.
I've done a whole review on the Edition XS: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/hifiman-edition-xs-planar-headphones/

If anything, I like it even more now because it's ridiculously good value at $380. As long as the clamp force isn't too low for you, this is the new default recommendation from me over even the HIFIMAN Sundara and MOONDROP PARA. But the clamp force is a strong enough variable to where a demo session is heavily recommended.

Ah damn, now I'm intrigued but I can't justify myself the "upgrade"

The cable looks very similar from the pictures. If I remember correctly, they used to sell from their site for 220 euros or something
This cable has a woven fabric exterior which makes it a lot more user friendly as mentioned in page 3.

Cooling Noctua NH-C14
Case Lian Li pc-c50b
I've done a whole review on the Edition XS: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/hifiman-edition-xs-planar-headphones/

If anything, I like it even more now because it's ridiculously good value at $380. As long as the clamp force isn't too low for you, this is the new default recommendation from me over even the HIFIMAN Sundara and MOONDROP PARA. But the clamp force is a strong enough variable to where a demo session is heavily recommended.

I can respect that opinion; you're not wrong. It certainly is a problem; I've bent the hell out of every Hifiman cans I've used to stay on my head. They end up looking ugly with a gap (/\), but whaddya' gonna do?

Worth it; I'm not trying to impress anyone. That said, if they could increase their clamping force a bit (without sacrificing too much comfort) I certainly wouldn't argue.

It would be nice (imo) if more companies would adopt the ski-band as default. It may not look as aesthetically pleasing to some, but I certainly think it's the most functional.

Last edited:
Reactions: VSG
System Name Intel 2023
Processor Intel Core i5 13600KF
Motherboard Gigabyte B660M Aourus Pro
Cooling Custom water cooling loop
Memory 2x16gb Adata PC 3600
Video Card(s) AMD 6950XT
Storage 2TB Corsair MP600
Display(s) Nixeus 27 EDG
Case Phanteks P600
Audio Device(s) Topping DX3 Pro +
Power Supply Corsair RM850
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Womier K87 with Tecsee Purple Panda switches
Software Win 11 Pro 64bit
Benchmark Scores Unfortunately no time anymore to benchmark....
Hifiman make some really incredible products, which is why I have had a really hard time considering upgrading my 400SE's :)

Software W10 LTSC 21H2
Hifiman make some really incredible products, which is why I have had a really hard time considering upgrading my 400SE's :)
Any mods done? I kinda want to try different meshes on mine, but it feels so fragile I'm still afraid to take anything apart, still.

System Name Intel 2023
Processor Intel Core i5 13600KF
Motherboard Gigabyte B660M Aourus Pro
Cooling Custom water cooling loop
Memory 2x16gb Adata PC 3600
Video Card(s) AMD 6950XT
Storage 2TB Corsair MP600
Display(s) Nixeus 27 EDG
Case Phanteks P600
Audio Device(s) Topping DX3 Pro +
Power Supply Corsair RM850
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Womier K87 with Tecsee Purple Panda switches
Software Win 11 Pro 64bit
Benchmark Scores Unfortunately no time anymore to benchmark....
Any mods done? I kinda want to try different meshes on mine, but it feels so fragile I'm still afraid to take anything apart, still.
No mods, I have the V2 with the stealth magnets. I do have a couple of Parametric EQ settings that I use in Equalizer/Peace, but to be honest I don't really need these either.
If I had to pick nits :) I would say that these headphones let me down gaming as it is sometimes not easy to pinpoint footsteps (but I can say the same about any open backed headphone).....

Silly, but I still smile when I realize that I only paid $109 for the 400SE's...... Combined with my Topping DX3 Pro + I have a truly excellent desktop setup....

Cooling Noctua NH-C14
Case Lian Li pc-c50b
No mods, I have the V2 with the stealth magnets. I do have a couple of Parametric EQ settings that I use in Equalizer/Peace, but to be honest I don't really need these either.
If I had to pick nits :) I would say that these headphones let me down gaming as it is sometimes not easy to pinpoint footsteps (but I can say the same about any open backed headphone).....

Silly, but I still smile when I realize that I only paid $109 for the 400SE's...... Combined with my Topping DX3 Pro + I have a truly excellent desktop setup....

Yeah. I truly don't think any of them (that I've tried) are bad, although I know a few have a niche reputation.

As I've said before, it wasn't until using their brand I appreciated open-back, as those I'd had before I preferred the closed-back options I owned more.

Going up the line, I really do think it's largely about bass quantity and, in some respects, reach.

Paired with a decent amp/dac/eq, I don't think any are bad at all.

IMO: punch up the bass (+5db at 20hz ranging to 0/+1 at <100hz), *maybe* fill in the 1/2khz if you want (+0-3db), depending upon how much you like the "HFM house sound", and you're golden.

I haven't owned or used them all, but I think most are *fairly* similar in those respects, some slightly closer to 'ideal' (to me) at stock than others.

Last edited:

theglaze

Really disappointing to see the Hifiman sticking to the same, flawed headstrap design. That's why I left them and went to Audeze.

The pleather suspension band, bends 90 degrees into the plastic housing on either side, where it is held in place with a frail metal clamp and glue. I got less than 2 years out of my HE400i headstraps, two from Hifi and one off Amazon. I was using them relentless as my daily driver, on/off frequently, and subject to desk abuse.

I still enjoy that sound signature, so I've kept them.... does anyone know of a third party company that supplies alternative headstrap designs?

Cooling Noctua NH-C14
Case Lian Li pc-c50b
Really disappointing to see the Hifiman sticking to the same, flawed headstrap design. That's why I left them and went to Audeze.

The pleather suspension band, bends 90 degrees into the plastic housing on either side, where it is held in place with a frail metal clamp and glue. I got less than 2 years out of my HE400i headstraps, two from Hifi and one off Amazon. I was using them relentless as my daily driver, on/off frequently, and subject to desk abuse.

I still enjoy that sound signature, so I've kept them.... does anyone know of a third party company that supplies alternative headstrap designs?

You're not wrong about the cheap headstrap, mate.

While I can't be of any help wrt 3rd party sources, am I the only one that doesn't understand why they don't just go elastic (I'll just use the old Arctis 7 as an example, which I could/have happily worn all day)?

Perhaps there is one available I don't know about, or perhaps eventually somebody will make one? Maybe you could make one yourself (not that you should have to do that)?

So many times I've looked at the Ananda (which are similar to the He400; indeed the cheaper model is a very good bargain if bass isn't a huge concern [it is for me]) and the XS with complete puzzlement:

On one hand you have (while I understand your plight about it being cheaply constructed, it is better imho) the strap on the Ananda/He400i, but you can't really EQ out that loss of bass on the He400 (arguably you can on the Ananda) but certainly not the slightly veiled 3-6/7(/8)khz range (same on many Audeze products IMHO). OTOH, you really can EQ the XS to *almost* perfection AFAICT, but the fixed headband is built for an ogre, which is a travesty wrt how good of a bargain the actual electronics are for that set. The more-expensive Arya(s) *is* slightly better at stock, but the much cheaper XS is totally 'fixable' in EQ assuming there is a decent noise floor.

Many like Sundara; it does (somewhat) fix the high-end vs he400, as well as mellow out the HFM 1-3khz scoop; but still lacks bass. Not for me, but I get why people like it (compared to others in that range).

If one were wireless (PS-compat?), elastic band, and mb similar tuning of the XS (which isn't *perfect*, but certainly workable) you could have a cheap(ish), popular gamerphile™/audiophile head(set/phone).

I don't know which Audeze you have, but here are a few examples (using rtings for simplicity) between the XS, Ananda, 400 models, and Maxwell:

XS vs Ananda
XS vs 400i
XS vs 400se
XS vs Maxwell
XS vs Sundara

He400i vs Maxwell?

Perhaps you may notice WHY you prefer one sound over the other. Everybody is different.

TLDR: Yeah, the straps/headbands could certainly use some work (or aftermarket love), but I think cramming more bass into a (especially open-back) planar is impressive (which the Audeze does as well, but is closed-back [which is a deal-breaker in my case bc soundstage is a big deal to me]; loses some forwardness on the main vocals as well). Also, I don't want to lose the full embodiement of someone actually PLAYING a piano, breathing into a sax, striking a snare, or especially the emotive part of a human voice (which is, perhaps oddly, extremely important to me). I *think* many tone that area down because people complain about the high-end ('sibilance', but actually sizzle) of cymbals/hi-hats (or if a singer sounds 'nasally'/whatever in a mix), but to me it's a ridiculous reason to lose the soul of a sax, snare, the fact a bass guitar is in-fact a string instrument and not just a thing that makes a tone, or most importantly those A4/5 singers (if they are mixed well). Heck, many (if not most) headphones do it to the gentlemen as well, which also bums me out.

There is a thing called negative gain; both producers AND YOU (in eq) can use it (even beyond -6db!), hopefully with a good mic and/or DSP! Instead, most users (often have to) increase frequency volume.

That's fine, except innate distortion (less than ideal noise floor and/or too much gain [even per channel/instrument/frequency] in a recording is difficult to fix, especially on-the-fly.

I get that some recording situations/setups are less than ideal, some is artistic choice, and some of it is probably to hide auto-tune, but still.

Should headphones (generally) be created to auto-compensate for that? I don't think so. I think that's the point of good production, ever-growing state-of-the-art recording setups, and HD audio.

There are certainly those more experienced/knowledgable in those areas than myself, and perhaps there are better solutions, but that's just my how I go about it/my feelings on the sitch, as one consumer.

Last edited:

theglaze

I don't know which Audeze you have, but here are a few examples (using rtings for simplicity) between the XS, Ananda, 400 models, and Maxwell:
I went with the MM-100. Jumped into the queue in early December and they delivered late February.

I'm not a technical audiophile, and can only appreciate quality sound reproduction from a casual listeners perspective. Whatever the disadvantages may be measured or perceived with the MM-100, I am quick to hear past all of that and embrace a mechanical design that looks like it should last a decade. Heck I'll take 5 years and it will be twice as good as HiFiman.
1710017880253.png

Last edited:
Cooling Noctua NH-C14
Case Lian Li pc-c50b
So kinda tuned like a open-back penrose (and hence lacking it's bass)?

Not my cup of chá (appears it lacks what most planars/open-backs do, IMO), but glad you enjoy them! They certainly *look* decent, and well-built.

Don't get me wrong, not arguing at all. Well, I am arguing...but for the same thing. I want HFM to increase their build quality (especially referring to the clamp/strap/headband/slide).

That said, I suppose that's where we may diverge. There were some headphones I have bought literally three or four times because I enjoyed them so much vs the comp at the time, but the headband cracked.

That said, I used them A LOT, and they were absurdly cheap (where-as others were very much not).

I'm not saying I'm right for doing that ("it's PLANNED" 'plastilescence'), but I'd still take sound over construction (as long as they don't creak, I've had some where that drives me nuts). Certainly appreciate your take though; maybe some brands (that make solid electronics but strangely-designed and/or weak housing) will take note if enough people explain your type of thought-process...I'm certain you're not alone!

We'll get there. The market of the Sundara/Para/XS/HD600(6xx)/whatever is pretty contentious, and every brand is going to have to improve in some way while still offering a mainstream (~$200-400) price imho.

Last edited:
Software W10 LTSC 21H2
Does anyone know what materials are in this type of Hifiman's marvelous headband? How far can I go with bending before it snaps? The main reason is the huge pressure just on top of the head, and I want to relieve that by bending in the marked positions for a better weight distribution.

IMG_20240310_110719.jpg

Cooling Noctua NH-C14
Case Lian Li pc-c50b
I suppose I could snap a pic of my Devas. They have a fairly-similar band afaict.

I'm just lazy (and kind of embarrassed to showcase it), although I'm sure you understand why I did it.

I literally just lined everything up and pressed the earcups together and then creased them at the center by pressing the (R/L thick plastic) sides with my thumb/fingers.

While I *think* what you're trying to do should work (sounds less extreme than what I did), it's against my better angels to advise people to warp/bend their frame, even though I *think* they'd be okay/fixable.

Mine look more like a /\, upside-down V as opposed to U (as I mentioned in an earlier post); held up fine because of the metal under the pleather (which scrunched a little on the inside peak).

I'm all the happier for it because better clamping force (or at least they stay on my ears/head) and more space (although there is now a space under the band on my head which looks weird to people, I'm sure).

Like I said, mine kind of look like crap now, but I don't care that much. I have the XM4's for when people are around, and sometimes switch it up to B&Ws et al; sometimes cheaper bass/mid-focused sets.

Would I recommend it? Not my call to make. I am a function over style type cat; I had to do it to be happy and really enjoy wearing them. I often head-shake/sway/bob, and they were not condusive at stock.

Pretty sure they wouldn't have lasted one house-cleaning to Atlantis Princess. :laugh:

Yours still look nice, and I don't know if you have other sets to use (I have a dozen) so if you're unhappy with the result and/or you ever plan to loan/sell them, in that case I wouldn't.

I totally get what you're trying to do, though. I was going for the same, but may have gone a little too far. They didn't break, though!

Software W10 LTSC 21H2
Thanks. I needed just a little courage. Nothing broke, everything bends just fine. Already much better, and there's space for further improvement. Cheers.

Yours still look nice, and I don't know if you have other sets to use
It's practically new, used rarely as I have T8Vs to blast my ears in a different manner most of the time. HE400SE are mostly used for LAN gaming. Open back is great for communication, as you can hear yourself and the person next to you without losing focus on the ingame sounds. We don't play FPS, so the accuracy isn't mandatory. I have a closed back Takstar Pro 82 clone as well. They are so comfortable I used to sleep with them on, when away from home in noisy conditions. The he400se on the other hand are quite heavy for my liking, and the higher end planars are much worse in that regard, so... I would switch to dynamic open back set, but planar sound is so remarkable, even with an id14...
With this I'm closing my side of the offtopic discussion. Maybe we should have a dedicated general Hifiman or planar headphones thread.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory T-Create 32gb 6000 CL 30
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv +150 core
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) SHP-9500, custom tube amp, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
I'm thinking of getting the Sundara closed-backs, currently only $149 brand new. What are your thoughts @VSG

I know it's not like regular Sundara at all. I have watched a few video reviews, but I don't know, at that price I am really tempted.

Cooling Noctua NH-C14
Case Lian Li pc-c50b
I'm thinking of getting the Sundara closed-backs, currently only $149 brand new. What are your thoughts @VSG

I know it's not like regular Sundara at all. I have watched a few video reviews, but I don't know, at that price I am really tempted.

Old topic and I know you weren't asking me (so I apologize for butting in), but I figure I'll throw it out there for completion sake:

When I e-mailed HFM asking them to consider offering a XS-BT, they recommended the R10D(ynamic).

I think that gives you an idea of how well their lower-priced closed-back designs are regarded, which is to say they aren't. All their cheap open-backs are great for the price, depending on what you want.

That said, those (R10D) used to have a MSRP of $1300. Now they are $399 wired/$599 with the BT adapter (which you can get with a cheaper set or alone cheaper).

Still wouldn't recommend them personally, but it's an option...I guess! The fact that was the company's advice when I asked for open-back wireless planars (above the Deva) was weird, but perhaps telling that they know there's a certain level of quality people want (above the closed-back Sundara or R9) if they choose to go wireless. I mean, I think they also want open-back and planars, but that's JMO.

The fact they still haven't replaced/updated (and lowered the price of) the Ananda-BT is ridiculous to me. Money on the table, imo.

Last edited: