• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to Identify Cross-Linked Files?

Lancer

Microsoft recommends that the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) partition be enlarged to 750MB to enable installation of the Jan 2024 Windows security update KB5034441. With the WinRE partition at 518 MB as originally created by Windows, the update fails to install. When I tried to enlarge the partition, my partition software reported cross-linked files and would not proceed with the partition change. Unfortunately, the partition software did not identify the specific cross linked files by name so that I could delete both cross-linked files and restore them. Even if I could enlarge the partition with a dumber partition utility, I doubt that Windows Update could install the update with cross-linked files. The volume is RAID, and NTFS.

Does anyone know of any utility within Windows, or other 3rd-party software, that will identify the file name/location of cross-linked files?

Last edited:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard MSI MPG Z790I Edge WiFi Gaming
Cooling be quiet! Pure Loop 240mm
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Philips Evnia 49M2C8900
Case LANCOOL 205M MESH Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply ASUS ROG Loki SFX-L 1000W
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.

Lancer

Solaris17, thanks! Any suggestion regarding a utility to identify cross-linked files?

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard MSI MPG Z790I Edge WiFi Gaming
Cooling be quiet! Pure Loop 240mm
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Philips Evnia 49M2C8900
Case LANCOOL 205M MESH Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply ASUS ROG Loki SFX-L 1000W
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Solaris17, thanks! Any suggestion regarding a utility to identify cross-linked files?

I dont think cross linked files are really your issue. I have done this 5 times now and one of them the recovery partition wasnt even in the right spot it was in the front of the disk and at no point did I need to worry about symlinks when making partition modifications.

Lancer

Only in the process of enlarging the WinRE partition did I happen to discover the cross-linked files situation, which may indicate a solution to another problem. I've been having some difficult-to-troubleshoot random computer stability issues, and so I am thinking there may be more cross-linked files responsible, and I want to check for them on other partitions as well. On other computers, I've done the WinRE partition enlargement and update install, so no issues with how to do that. My objective with this thread question is to find a way to identify cross-linked files under NTFS. Chkdsk will list cross-linked files for other than NTFS, but not with NTFS, so can't use Chkdsk.

System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASRock B550 PG Velocita (UEFI-BIOS P3.40)
Memory 32 GB G.Skill RipJawsV F4-3200C16D-32GVR
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT
Storage Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF OLED-ASRock PG27Q15R2A (backup)
Case Corsair 275R
Audio Device(s) Technics SA-EX140 receiver with Polk VT60 speakers
Power Supply eVGA Supernova G3 750W
Mouse Logitech G Pro (Hero)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
That condition, means two or more files or directories are assigned to the same cluster! But that's never supposed to happen to NTFS or any journaling FS!

Is this issue with FAT32 after a power outage or crash?

Lancer

Nothing is FAT32, only NTFS w/ GPT partitioning. To update, I didn't find any tool to identify cross-linked files, so I went ahead and deleted the old WinRE partition and created a new 1GB WinRE partition using the Microsoft recommended procedure with diskpart. The recreated WinRE environment works normally. But despite the generous new WinRE partition size, the Jan 2024 update KB5034441 will still not install, so there is still some underlying issue that deleting and recreating the larger WinRE partition did not resolve. The cross-linked files situation identified by the partitioning software that I originally used is probably indicative of where the issue lies, but I have no way to troubleshoot that. Considering all the reported KB5034441 install failures, I'm thinking that Microsoft might revise the update, so I haven't done anything further pending a possible smarter update package to try.

System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASRock B550 PG Velocita (UEFI-BIOS P3.40)
Memory 32 GB G.Skill RipJawsV F4-3200C16D-32GVR
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT
Storage Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF OLED-ASRock PG27Q15R2A (backup)
Case Corsair 275R
Audio Device(s) Technics SA-EX140 receiver with Polk VT60 speakers
Power Supply eVGA Supernova G3 750W
Mouse Logitech G Pro (Hero)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
the Jan 2024 update KB5034441 will still not install, so there is still some underlying issue that deleting and recreating the larger WinRE partition did not resolve. The cross-linked files situation identified by the partitioning software that I originally used is probably indicative of where the issue lies, but I have no way to troubleshoot that. Considering all the reported KB5034441 install failures, I'm thinking that Microsoft might revise the update, so I haven't done anything further pending a possible smarter update package to try.
Sounds like wipe-the-drive-and-reformat-time. :(

Those error messages, can very well be warning signs of a faulty SSD as well. A very good chance that the SSD is faulty, if Windows seems slow! Often, with a bad SSD, IIRC, Windows will be abnormally slow!

Lancer

Windows is not slow, just difficult to start, then a random system freeze after about a week of running. The Windows startup process hangs at the circle of dots just before Windows is supposed to start, requiring multiple restart attempts before Windows finally starts normally to the user login screen. Thought maybe the cross-linked file condition reported by partitioning software was responsible, or at least indicative of where to troubleshoot. I'm trying to avoid the nuclear option of wipe, reformat, and reinstall, but options are narrowing as I haven't the diagnostic/repair tools or knowledge to accomplish a fix so far.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11
That still sounds sort of like an unhealthy or failing SSS symptom, potentially.