• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HyperX mechanical keyboards

So I got about a week ago a HyperX Alloy Origins, my first mechanical keyboard, and honestly I can't see what all the hype is about mechanical keyboards.
I mean it looks good, it's certainly heavy but I am not impressed on how key presses feel neither I can type any faster than with a membrane cheap keyboard.
Anyway I can return it I guess and give it another shot with the HyperX Alloy MKW100 which costs 30 euros less and has a wrist rest.
What do you think?

System Name Stugots V
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Thermalright PA-120 Black
Memory 2 x 16GB G.Skill 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual RTX 4070
Storage 500GB WD SN750 | 2TB WD SN750 | 6TB WD Red +
Display(s) Dell S2716DG (1440p / 144Hz)
Case Fractal Meshify 2 Compact
Audio Device(s) JDS Labs Element | Audioengine HD3 + A8 | Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro (250)
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Leopold FC750R
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Preference with a key switch type is just that, preference.
You could like rubber domes better than every Cherry MX (or other) switch out there for you all you / we know.

The best advice I can give is to go to a store and try out as many switch types as you can to get a feel for them.
You can also order switch sample packs, and read up on types you might like, even used boards can be a decent option (I've done that).

That being said, there's really no right or wrong answer here - test a bunch out and see what you like :)

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
So I got about a week ago a HyperX Alloy Origins, my first mechanical keyboard, and honestly I can't see what all the hype is about mechanical keyboards.

I am not impressed on how key presses feel
Different keys for different folks.
I say "different strokes for different folks!" :D

few34fwfs said:
What do you think?
First, you seem to be lumping all mechanical keyboards into one pile. That is a HUGE mistake. It would be like saying all SUVs are the same. There are dozens of different types and sizes of mechanical keyboards (and their switches), each with their own and multiple characteristics in how they feel, as well as how they sound.

And none of those characteristics are an indication of quality, yet each has a subjective value based entirely on the users personal preferences and opinions.

So what I think is that you just illustrated a point I have made on this site many times. So often in fact, I have a canned text for it.

The problem with human interface devices (HIDs), like mice and keyboards, is everyone has unique hands. What feels great in my hand or at the end of my fingertips may feel uncomfortable, awkward or even painful to you.​
The best anyone can give for advice is their impressions for tracking and construction/assembly quality, battery life (if wireless), warranty support, etc. How it feels is too subjective and individually personal.​
You need to visit shops and electronics stores and go play touchy-feely with these devices yourself. Try to position them at the same height - in relation to your body – as they will be when at your desk. Remember display models may have been abused so some mechanical functions (buttons, wheels, keys, etc.) may not work properly.​
Take a bottle of hand-sanitizer with you!​

And do your homework! Start by reading this: https://www.rtings.com/keyboard/learn/mechanical-switches

Not all mechanical keyboards are the same. I liked membrane keyboards more than the mechanical keyboard I used to use which had Cherry MX Blue switches. MX Blues were loud and I didn't much care for the way the keys felt when pressed. My current keyboard uses Kailh Box Browns, which I like a lot more than the MX Blues and any other membrane keyboard I've used thus far. It's probable that you haven't tried a keyboard with switches you like yet.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Well I think switches can also be an acquiring taste.
Personally I don't have stores in my hood to try out keyboards and as for switch sample packs I have to order them from abroad so that's also an issue.
But let's assume that HyperX had the switches that you like.
Would you take https://hyperx.com/collections/gami...anical-gaming-keyboard?variant=42523959820445 for 90$
or https://hyperx.com/collections/gaming-keyboards/products/hyperx-alloy-mkw100?variant=41950612816029 for 60$ ?
I'm a hard typist (I press down hard on keys) so I don't care for mechanical keyboards (tried various razer & cherry switches) as they hurt my fingers after a short amount of time. I currently use a razer mecha-membrane keyboard and it doe the job.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 \Paradigm 7se MKII, Paradigm 5SE MK1 , Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Different keys for different folks. I personally like MX Brown because it can take the weight of your fingers, but is not overly stiff.

Yeah i like browns too, how ever i love analog more as i can put that trigger activation were ever i like although it takes time setting up and getting to used too as you have to go without the feel of the switch.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30-36-36-76
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
I mean it looks good, it's certainly heavy but I am not impressed on how key presses feel neither I can type any faster than with a membrane cheap keyboard.
Anyway I can return it I guess and give it another shot with the HyperX Alloy MKW100 which costs 30 euros less and has a wrist rest.
What do you think?

try a different brand, hyperx doesn't make the best boards. g.skill km250 mech board i am typing on now is decent for the price. i have some cherry mx silver's from monoprice brand Dark Matter, i really like that board. cherry mx silvers might be the sweet spot for you.

I'm a hard typist (I press down hard on keys) so I don't care for mechanical keyboards (tried various razer & cherry switches) as they hurt my fingers after a short amount of time. I currently use a razer mecha-membrane keyboard and it doe the job.

yeah mech isn't for everyone.

try a different brand, hyperx doesn't make the best boards. g.skill km250 mech board i am typing on now is decent for the price. i have some cherry mx silver's from monoprice brand Dark Matter, i really like that board. cherry mx silvers might be the sweet spot for you.

yeah mech isn't for everyone.
WDYM?
All the reviews I see for HyperX Alloy Origins are very good.
The thing is that I can't find reviews for the HyperX Alloy MKW100. Maybe it's new?

P.S. I looked up your keyboard. I don't know if it's better or not but I seen it on Amazon and it's price is pretty good. Unfortunately no one has it in my country.

So 1) My first link was wrong I don't have the keyboard with the PBT keycaps it's just an ordinary alloy origins with normal keycaps. They feel good tho.

2) I finally found a video that compares those two keyboards. snapshot.jpg
The RGB lighting looks much better on the origins plus it's shorter which means that I have more space to move my mouse! From the other hand it doesn't have a detachable wrist rest like the MKW100 but I never one and I don't even know if I would want one. But I'm gonna get it anyway because I want to know how the red switches feel like.

3) Everyone is talking about the Cherry MX so I looked it up. Those switches are expensive. The only thing I can get for less than 130$ is the Cougar Puri TKL RGB for 80$ and those are red. Probably I'm going to order it anyway to see what all this hype with the Cherry MX is about.

Last edited: