• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I9 13890HX undervolting Suggestions

AlienM18User

I have Undervolted my M18 Alienware with the I9 13980HX and it got at 36700 with throttling and can get stably with no throttle after tweaking some settings it can get to 35500 at 165w.
These are my settings.

SpeedStep on C1E on
CPU core CPU p Cache Intel GPU iGPU CPU E CACHE All offset at -155.3
Thermal Velocity Boost on
Ring down BIn On
MV Boost @ 800MHZ 185 (this one i don't get it is it the ring? or what i read it's something about stability anyway this one i don't understand fully but it works amazing)
in power limits i set long PL1 and Short PL2 to 185w with sync MMIO on
any suggestions or help or even explanation will be appreciated.
this is my power profile used while gaming and doing hard load tasks.

1h.png
2h.png
3h.png

and I made another profile for browsing and watching YouTube where I only lower the wattage to 45w and disable the turbo boost and lower the clock speed to 24 instead of the base 56 is it worth it maybe, I see less than 55C all the time but as I'm not full understanding these changes not all of them at least I'm still skeptical so I need some expert opinion.
1l.png
2l.png
3l.png

@unclewebb

Last edited:

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
MV Boost @ 800MHZ 185 (this one i don't get it is it the ring?
This one does exactly what it says. It boosts the voltage of both the core and the cache (ring) when the CPU is at 800 MHz. When undervolting, increasing the voltage at the low end of the MHz curve can improve stability. This trick can let you reliably undervolt further when the CPU is running at full speed. Users with HX processors that have tried using the mV Boost setting seem to like it.

I only lower the wattage to 45w and disable the turbo boost and lower the clock speed to 24
Some people like slowing their fast CPUs down or limiting the power. This can significantly reduce the CPU temperature. You can do whatever you want with ThrottleStop. I like max performance but cool and quiet is nice when watching a movie.

any suggestions or help
You do not seem to need any suggestions. It looks like you are having fun and lots of success by experimenting with ThrottleStop. I have never owned or used a 13980HX so I do not know what would work best. You can try searching Google to see what sort of settings other people are using but why bother. Adjusting the voltage and settings is always the best way to figure out what works best for your computer.

AlienM18User

I appreciate your response @unclewebb and thanks for the insight about the MV Boost, my question is where is the Ring undervolt in throttlestop is it not implemented yet or i'm just missing something?
And about lowering the wattage one of the down sides of strong CPU's in laptop's is high temps and loud fans quiet mode in AWCC doesn't do the job so i have to intervene and so far it works to some extent.
And as you guessed i'm actually having a lot of fun with throttlestop and i'm looking to optimize my CPU even more that why i how some other questions
-Speed shift how does it effect my CPU and should i play with it?
ICCMAX how does it work ? Is the ICCMAX IN CPU core affect the ICCMAX in p core i couldn't figure it out even after testing.
Last question the turbo time limit does it matter if i put it in infinite value or it have to be limited?
I'm sorry for bothering you with all these questions thanks for the help ☺️

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
where is the Ring undervolt in ThrottleStop
Ring and cache are two different names for the same thing. They are both on the same voltage rail.

Speed shift how does it effect my CPU
I have never really used Windows 11 or any recent hardware. You can play with Speed Shift but I do not think it is necessary to do so. You might actually create a conflict between Windows 11 and ThrottleStop if these two are constantly writing different values to the same CPU Speed Shift control register. I prefer not to check the Speed Shift EPP box on the main ThrottleStop screen for this reason.

I always recommend setting IccMax to the max for both the P core and the P cache. This helps avoid any throttling. Setting IccMax to the max scares some people.

turbo time limit does it matter
That depends on what the rest of your settings are. This controls how long your CPU will run at the higher PL2 power limit before being reduced to the lower PL1 power limit. If you set both power limits to the same value then it does not matter what you set the turbo time limit to. The Intel default is usually 56 seconds but this is generally too much time. Most laptops will overheat if you allow them to run at max power for 56 seconds. Somewhere around 8 seconds is a more practical value for many laptops.

questions
Lots of questions are a good thing. You seem to be getting a good understanding of ThrottleStop. Keep experimenting. It is the best way to learn ThrottleStop.

AlienM18User

Ring and cache are two different names for the same thing. They are both on the same voltage rail.

I have never really used Windows 11 or any recent hardware. You can play with Speed Shift but I do not think it is necessary to do so. You might actually create a conflict between Windows 11 and ThrottleStop if these two are constantly writing different values to the same CPU Speed Shift control register. I prefer not to check the Speed Shift EPP box on the main ThrottleStop screen for this reason.

I always recommend setting IccMax to the max for both the P core and the P cache. This helps avoid any throttling. Setting IccMax to the max scares some people.

That depends on what the rest of your settings are. This controls how long your CPU will run at the higher PL2 power limit before being reduced to the lower PL1 power limit. If you set both power limits to the same value then it does not matter what you set the turbo time limit to. The Intel default is usually 56 seconds but this is generally too much time. Most laptops will overheat if you allow them to run at max power for 56 seconds. Somewhere around 8 seconds is a more practical value for many laptops.

Lots of questions are a good thing. You seem to be getting a good understanding of ThrottleStop. Keep experimenting. It is the best way to learn ThrottleStop.
Clear answers thank you a lot @unclewebb these new information's will give me a new night without sleep just playing with ThrottleStop.

System Name Asus G16
Processor i9 13980HX
Motherboard Asus motherboard
Cooling 2 fans
Memory 32gb 4800mhz cl40
Video Card(s) 4080 laptop
Storage 16tb, x2 8tb SSD
Display(s) QHD+ 16:10 (2560x1600, WQXGA) 240hz
Power Supply 330w psu
I have Undervolted my M18 Alienware with the I9 13980HX and it got at 36700 with throttling and can get stably with no throttle after tweaking some settings it can get to 35500 at 165w.
These are my settings.

SpeedStep on C1E on
CPU core CPU p Cache Intel GPU iGPU CPU E CACHE All offset at -155.3
Thermal Velocity Boost on
Ring down BIn On
MV Boost @ 800MHZ 185 (this one i don't get it is it the ring? or what i read it's something about stability anyway this one i don't understand fully but it works amazing)
in power limits i set long PL1 and Short PL2 to 185w with sync MMIO on
any suggestions or help or even explanation will be appreciated.
this is my power profile used while gaming and doing hard load tasks.

View attachment 344156View attachment 344161View attachment 344162

and I made another profile for browsing and watching YouTube where I only lower the wattage to 45w and disable the turbo boost and lower the clock speed to 24 instead of the base 56 is it worth it maybe, I see less than 55C all the time but as I'm not full understanding these changes not all of them at least I'm still skeptical so I need some expert opinion.
View attachment 344164View attachment 344165View attachment 344166
@unclewebb
Thats some insane wattage, among I highest I ever seen. My laptop tops out at around 120w.

AlienM18User

Thats some insane wattage, among I highest I ever seen. My laptop tops out at around 120w.
My Alienware M18 can get up to 200w and factory power throttle because that's the limit,but it will get really hot in a split of a second.