• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

James Donkey R2 Wireless Mechanical Keyboard

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
The James Donkey R2 is a premium keyboard that looks and feels like a much more expensive one. It has all the features you might expect out of an enthusiast wireless mechanical keyboard and yet manages to impress further with the use of a high quality aluminium chassis that comes in different colors, including matching keycaps too.

Show full review

They nailed the aesthetics and good value too - if only these caps were shine through, I would be picking it up. Excellent review as always!

Reactions: VSG
System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Why linear swtiches only? The few surveys I've seen have a 50:50 split between people who want linear and tactile.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Why linear swtiches only? The few surveys I've seen have a 50:50 split between people who want linear and tactile.
People who usually go for more enthusiast keyboards also prefer to have smoother travel switches which are usually linear in feedback.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
People who usually go for more enthusiast keyboards also prefer to have smoother travel switches which are usually linear in feedback.
Fair enough, just not for me I guess.

I have tried a few linear keyboards and whilst I can game on them, I cannot type of them. My WPM drops from 80+ to 40 and my accuracy drops from 99% to 90%. I blame my 25 years of prior keyboard usage with the market being almost exclusively buckling-spring or membrane keys prior to linear key switches first hitting the mainstream PC market around 2010 or so. Perhaps the Zoomers and Gen-a don't have that hardcoded muscle memory, or simply don't touch-type like the gen-x or millennials.

Tactile feedback is important for speed and precision. Ask anyone who plays a music instrument and the feedback is a lot of what seperates a decent instrument from a great one. I play a couple myself and it's always the cheap stuff the lacks feedback, and gets review-bombed by expert musicians.

Fair enough, just not for me I guess.

I have tried a few linear keyboards and whilst I can game on them, I cannot type of them. My WPM drops from 80+ to 40 and my accuracy drops from 99% to 90%. I blame my 25 years of prior keyboard usage with the market being almost exclusively buckling-spring or membrane keys prior to linear key switches first hitting the mainstream PC market around 2010 or so. Perhaps the Zoomers and Gen-a don't have that hardcoded muscle memory, or simply don't touch-type like the gen-x or millennials.

Tactile feedback is important for speed and precision. Ask anyone who plays a music instrument and the feedback is a lot of what seperates a decent instrument from a great one. I play a couple myself and it's always the cheap stuff the lacks feedback, and gets review-bombed by expert musicians.

Personally, I prefer linear, though I can maintain typing speed and accuracy on just about anything that is responsive once I drop into my rhythm. (Gen X and I've been typing since Commodore 64 was a thing.)