• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Logitech G Pro X wired - surround sound settings?

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Lightening PG
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120SE CPU cooler, 3x 140mm, 1x 120mm case fan
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Flare X5 DDR5 6000 (PC5 48000) F5-6000J3038F16GX2-FX5
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 4070
Storage 2TB Sandisk SSD, 2TB P31 SK Hynix, 4TB WD SN850X, WD Black 6TB, WD Red Plus 12TB
Case Fractal Design Definse S
Power Supply Seasonic Focus 750
Mouse Logitech Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Silent w/red LED
VR HMD HTC Vive
Software Win 10 Pro
Couple of weeks back I was looking for some headsets, and decided to get a Logitech G Pro X wired. I liked the feel & style (closed back, etc.) and it was $80 or so. I do find it comfortable, and the sound quality is good in stereo. In gaming I am finding stereo to be fairly difficult in pinpointing sound locations. Example, in MW2 I can have a thermite grenade burning 5 feet to the right from my character and the burning sound essentially only on the right side. Not exactly realistic, sound bounces and travels so I should be able to hear it on the left, although not quite as loud as in my right ear.

So I decided to try the surround options in Logitech's G HUB software. And I am finding the surround quality to be a bit unclear, and still quite closed off. Going back to the thermite test in MW2, it does not sound too different from stereo mode. I can have a raging fire to my right, but very little sound comes out of my left. This makes it sound like something a good bit further away. So the spatial orientation is a bit poor even in surround.

Logitech G HUB.jpg

With DTS enabled it sounds worse to me. The various modes like Gaming vs Entertainment don't seem to make any noteworthy difference but I mainly messed around with the Gaming option.

These are essentially the options I have:

Logitech G HUB 2.jpg

Is there anything here that can help me tune the sound so it is a bit more spatial and opened up?

I also decided to try my old Plantronics USB sound card that came with an ancient GameCom 777 (14 or so years old?) with the Logitech G Pro X headset, and I find it to be a bit more clear with whatever simulated surround solution it has over Logitech's surround sound. I find the Plantronics USB sound card better simulates spatial sound. A sound emitting from the right still sounds like it comes from the right, but I can still hear sound from the left, more like reality. Bit dumbfounded how an ancient sound card from what was a budget headset seems to more realistically simulate surround sound/spatial awareness.

In the event Logitech software/included USB is just low quality, are there are USB sound cards or DACs I should look into?