• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking to get a new GPU for the next year.

playerwhoplayyes

I'm upgrading my PC, getting a new CPU, motherboard, RAM, etc. But my main issue here is the GPU, there is a RX 6700 non XT and a RX 7600 at the same price, I'm going to do some video editing in Davinci Resolve on the Free version, and AV1 looks interesting, apparently Davinci Resolve free version supports AV1, and that's make a reason to buy the 7600, but I'm looking to play games like The last of us, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart in the future, for now I only play Minecraft, Doom eternal, Age of empires, Counter Strike 2 and Cities Skylines 1, But, I'm not gonna play in ultra graphics, in High-Medium graphics I'm looking to play, the 10 GB of VRAM in the 6700 looks good and the slightly better performance in some games, although the performance difference is almost nothing, but what is preventing me from choosing the RX 6700 is the AV1 encoding that the RX 7600 has, so it's hard to decide which GPU should I buy. I live in Chile, and buying from Amazon in more expensive because of importing cost, although in general is cheaper to buy from Amazon, my main issue is that If I buy the GPU from Amazon, and it comes broken, and there is a change that I can't return it because the time I have to wait to come here, from the USA to Chile, so I'm buying it from a Chilean store, so I'm not going to buy from Amazon, and NewEgg doesn't ship to Chile. I'm not gonna buy and Nvidia GPU because of the RTX 4060 TI make me dislike it a ton Nvidia, and there aren't Intel ARC GPUs here, my monitor doesn't have Display Port but supports Free-Sync, so which GPU should I buy, the RX 6700 or the RX 7600?, Or should I wait to the RX 7600 XT if it comes? Furthermore, because Christmas everything is up now in prices, so I'm waiting for 2024 to come down prices.

playerwhoplayyes

Update: Now I'm looking to buy from Amazon, NewEgg and more, Amazon ships to Chile, so there is no problem, NewEgg doesn't, but there is something called "Casilla Internacional", with that I can buy hardware and more from shops that doesn't ship to Chile and get it here, An XFX RX 7600 SWFT210 that cost 260 dollars cost 75 dollars to import here, but from NewEgg the same GPU with the same price cost 85 dollars to import here, so keep in mind that some of the Options out there can finish being more expensive, so after looking that I'm looking for two GPUs, an RX 6650 XT, and a RX 7600, both almost the same, but the 7600 has AV1 encoding, and other features that can be helpful for me, but the RX 6650 XT even thought is worse in productivity, in gaming, which is most of what I'm going to use my computer perform almost the same, so I'm looking for that 2 GPUs.

Some additional information:
My case is a DeepCool Matrexx 30, with a Max GPU size of 250 mm, so that limits a lot of the viable GPUs, No Asrock GPUs, and more.
My PSU is a DeepCool PK600D, 80+ Bronze Rated, C Tier on the PSU tier list.
Going to use a Ryzen 5 7500F.
Max Budget for the GPU of 320 dollars, but can go a little bit higher.
An Intel ARC A750 maybe will be a good option considering Intel Quick Sync, but from what I understood, Davinci resolve free version doesn't support Quick Sync, although for me is not much of a problem, I'm worried if is going to perform bad on the source port for classic Doom, GZDOOM.

System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
It seems OpenGL performance on the Arc A750/770 is pretty decent when all ducks are in their row. Re-BAR enabled, up-to-date driver, etc.
For where it struggles, there's wrappers to DX11/12 and Vulkan these days.

I realize the costs may vary for you, but @ the $300 price-point, I don't think there's a better choice (for most) than the Arc A770 16GB.

The last few driver updates have brought huge gains in 3D performance, and QuickSync is handy (where supported)

edit: if you could find the extra $55+, the 16GB A770 will have longer legs (more years of reasonably-useful performance) than a within-budget A750 8GB

JIC there is an immediate need, here's a couple of $200 A750 options

Addendum:
I own a 7900GRE ($550USD MSRP ).
After the latest driver updates to Intel's Arc, I kinda wish I'd saved some $ and tried out the A770 16GB.
Other than that, if your budget could've allow... IMHO, the RX 7900 GRE is the strongest value for a GPU (why I grabbed one).

Last edited:

playerwhoplayyes

It seems OpenGL performance on the Arc A750/770 is pretty decent when all ducks are in their row. Re-BAR enabled, up-to-date driver, etc.
For where it struggles, there's wrappers to DX11/12 and Vulkan these days.

I realize the costs may vary for you, but @ the $300 price-point, I don't think there's a better choice (for most) than the Arc A770 16GB.

The last few driver updates have brought huge gains in 3D performance, and QuickSync is handy (where supported)

edit: if you could find the extra $55+, the 16GB A770 will have longer legs (more years of reasonably-useful performance) than a within-budget A750 8GB

JIC there is an immediate need, here's a couple of $200 A750 options

Addendum:
I own a 7900GRE ($550USD MSRP ).
After the latest driver updates to Intel's Arc, I kinda wish I'd saved some $ and tried out the A770 16GB.
Other than that, if your budget could've allow... IMHO, the RX 7900 GRE is the strongest value for a GPU (why I grabbed one).
The ARC A770 perform goods for its price, but 2 things, one tax import fee, the Sparkle one is 300 dollars, but the tax import fee is 99 dollars, so 400 dollars in total, if dollar in my country goes down even more, maybe I will look for it, but, one mayor problem, my maximum GPU Size that my case support is 250mm, the ASRock GPU is way bigger than that, cutting the hard drive bays will allow a bigger GPU size support, but, I don't know hot to cut it and if it's safe, I bought that case because it's easier to transport, and it was at a really good price.
1716170944556.png

So for now, unless a company launches an ARC A770 that isn't bigger than 250mm, no ARC A770, and also the tax import fee.

Last edited:
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
It looks like the drive cage is only held in by 6 rivets at the most and they are fairly easy to drill out.
I've done that in a few Cases to make more room internally.

playerwhoplayyes

It looks like the drive cage is only held in by 6 rivets at the most and they are fairly easy to drill out.
I've done that in a few Cases to make more room internally.
Looking out, yes, the hard drive bay is being hold by 6 rivets or screws, I don't know if they are screws or rivets, but maybe they can be removed, there are some tutorials out there to remove rivets.

playerwhoplayyes

New Update: Decided to go with an Intel ARC A750, the Sparkle ORC model. It is going to be a big upgrade from my GTX 1650 TUF Gaming GDDR6, they say that the ORC model is kinda loud and hot, but my TUF model is already hot and had to use MSI Afterburner to configure the curvature fan making it loud, so I'm not going to cut my case.

Processor Intel i5 8400
Motherboard Asus Prime H370M-Plus/CSM
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken & Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap
Memory 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ROG-STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING
Storage 1TB 980 Pro
Display(s) Samsung UN55KU6300F
Case Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Software W11 Pro
Hope this option works out the best for you. :)