• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Hopper Leaps Ahead in Generative AI at MLPerf

T0@st

News Editor
Staff member
It's official: NVIDIA delivered the world's fastest platform in industry-standard tests for inference on generative AI. In the latest MLPerf benchmarks, NVIDIA TensorRT-LLM—software that speeds and simplifies the complex job of inference on large language models—boosted the performance of NVIDIA Hopper architecture GPUs on the GPT-J LLM nearly 3x over their results just six months ago. The dramatic speedup demonstrates the power of NVIDIA's full-stack platform of chips, systems and software to handle the demanding requirements of running generative AI. Leading companies are using TensorRT-LLM to optimize their models. And NVIDIA NIM—a set of inference microservices that includes inferencing engines like TensorRT-LLM—makes it easier than ever for businesses to deploy NVIDIA's inference platform.

Raising the Bar in Generative AI
TensorRT-LLM running on NVIDIA H200 Tensor Core GPUs—the latest, memory-enhanced Hopper GPUs—delivered the fastest performance running inference in MLPerf's biggest test of generative AI to date. The new benchmark uses the largest version of Llama 2, a state-of-the-art large language model packing 70 billion parameters. The model is more than 10x larger than the GPT-J LLM first used in the September benchmarks. The memory-enhanced H200 GPUs, in their MLPerf debut, used TensorRT-LLM to produce up to 31,000 tokens/second, a record on MLPerf's Llama 2 benchmark. The H200 GPU results include up to 14% gains from a custom thermal solution. It's one example of innovations beyond standard air cooling that systems builders are applying to their NVIDIA MGX designs to take the performance of Hopper GPUs to new heights.

Memory Boost for NVIDIA Hopper GPUs
NVIDIA is shipping H200 GPUs today. They'll be available soon from nearly 20 leading system builders and cloud service providers. H200 GPUs pack 141 GB of HBM3e running at 4.8 TB/s. That's 76% more memory flying 43% faster compared to H100 GPUs. These accelerators plug into the same boards and systems and use the same software as H100 GPUs. With HBM3e memory, a single H200 GPU can run an entire Llama 2 70B model with the highest throughput, simplifying and speeding inference.

GH200 Packs Even More Memory
Even more memory—up to 624 GB of fast memory, including 144 GB of HBM3e—is packed in NVIDIA GH200 Superchips, which combine on one module a Hopper architecture GPU and a power-efficient NVIDIA Grace CPU. NVIDIA accelerators are the first to use HBM3e memory technology. With nearly 5 TB/second memory bandwidth, GH200 Superchips delivered standout performance, including on memory-intensive MLPerf tests such as recommender systems.

Sweeping Every MLPerf Test
On a per-accelerator basis, Hopper GPUs swept every test of AI inference in the latest round of the MLPerf industry benchmarks. The benchmarks cover today's most popular AI workloads and scenarios, including generative AI, recommendation systems, natural language processing, speech and computer vision. NVIDIA was the only company to submit results on every workload in the latest round and every round since MLPerf's data center inference benchmarks began in October 2020.

Continued performance gains translate into lower costs for inference, a large and growing part of the daily work for the millions of NVIDIA GPUs deployed worldwide.

Advancing What's Possible
Pushing the boundaries of what's possible, NVIDIA demonstrated three innovative techniques in a special section of the benchmarks called the open division, created for testing advanced AI methods. NVIDIA engineers used a technique called structured sparsity—a way of reducing calculations, first introduced with NVIDIA A100 Tensor Core GPUs—to deliver up to 33% speedups on inference with Llama 2.

A second open division test found inference speedups of up to 40% using pruning, a way of simplifying an AI model—in this case, an LLM—to increase inference throughput. Finally, an optimization called DeepCache reduced the math required for inference with the Stable Diffusion XL model, accelerating performance by a whopping 74%. All these results were run on NVIDIA H100 Tensor Core GPUs.

A Trusted Source for Users
MLPerf's tests are transparent and objective, so users can rely on the results to make informed buying decisions. NVIDIA's partners participate in MLPerf because they know it's a valuable tool for customers evaluating AI systems and services. Partners submitting results on the NVIDIA AI platform in this round included ASUS, Cisco, Dell Technologies, Fujitsu, GIGABYTE, Google, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Lenovo, Microsoft Azure, Oracle, QCT, Supermicro, VMware (recently acquired by Broadcom) and Wiwynn.

All the software NVIDIA used in the tests is available in the MLPerf repository. These optimizations are continuously folded into containers available on NGC, NVIDIA's software hub for GPU applications, as well as NVIDIA AI Enterprise—a secure, supported platform that includes NIM inference microservices.

The Next Big Thing
The use cases, model sizes and datasets for generative AI continue to expand. That's why MLPerf continues to evolve, adding real-world tests with popular models like Llama 2 70B and Stable Diffusion XL.

Keeping pace with the explosion in LLM model sizes, NVIDIA founder and CEO Jensen Huang announced last week at GTC that the NVIDIA Blackwell architecture GPUs will deliver new levels of performance required for the multitrillion-parameter AI models.

Inference for large language models is difficult, requiring both expertise and the full-stack architecture NVIDIA demonstrated on MLPerf with Hopper architecture GPUs and TensorRT-LLM. There's much more to come.

Learn more about MLPerf benchmarks and the technical details of this inference round.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
And that basically all made out of sand...

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
So is Hopper Nvidia's new AI / datacentre architecture, or is it Blackwell? Or both? I'm really confused now.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
So is Hopper Nvidia's new AI / datacentre architecture, or is it Blackwell? Or both? I'm really confused now.
As far as I can tell H200 is just a H100 with more memory and HBM3e, H200 was announced a while ago before B200 which wont ship for a very long time, that's why this is confusing. I noticed Nvidia is getting in the habit of announcing stuff long before it actually ships, probably because they're feeling some pressure from AMD and they want to get orders as soon as possible to lock customers in.

Last edited:
After adding FP4, I understand "increase" of performance numbers.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
" Intel's 5th Gen Xeon results improved by an average of 1.42x compared with 4th Gen Intel Xeon processors' results in MLPerf Inference v3.1."

Such great slides, they fail to mention that half that performance increase is due to 3.1 code VS 4.0, their marketing team needs a raise.

Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
As far as I can tell H200 is just a H100 with more memory and HBM3e, H200 was announced a while ago before B200 which wont ship for a very long time, that's why this is confusing. I noticed Nvidia is getting in the habit of announcing stuff long before it actually ships, probably because they're feeling some pressure from AMD and they want to get orders as soon as possible to lock customers in.
They seem to be switching on the Intel mode, announcing architectures a decade ahead even when nothing about them is certain, yet.

But then, if both Hopper and Blackwell are datacentre architectures, then what will they have for gaming?

Processor Intel
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Cooler Master
Memory Corsair
Video Card(s) Nvidia
Storage Samsung/Western Digital/ADATA
Display(s) Samsung
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse A4TECH
Keyboard UniKey
Software Windows 10 x64
3x slower
30% cheaper
tenor.gif

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
But then, if both Hopper and Blackwell are datacentre architectures, then what will they have for gaming?

The end is near, no more nvidia for the PC gamer....

Just GeForce Now!

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
But then, if both Hopper and Blackwell are datacentre architectures, then what will they have for gaming
Something else, compute and graphics products have long since diverged from each other. Same for AMD.

Software Windows 10 Pro
The end is near, no more nvidia for the PC gamer....

Just GeForce Now!
Fine, I'll just have AMD, then. :D

Something else, compute and graphics products have long since diverged from each other. Same for AMD.
I know, but if they're planning to release the 5000 series this autumn, then there surely must be some details around it.

I thought either Hopper or Blackwell was it, but now that they're both datacentre parts, I don't know what to think.

After adding FP4, I understand "increase" of performance numbers.

Unfortunately, No. All performance gains of NVIDIA H200 over NVIDIA H100 are due to faster memory. NVIDIA H200 is faster in MLPerf for ~1.4x.

Calculate it as follows: 4.8 TB/s divide by 3.35 TB/s and it equals ~1.43.

Fine, I'll just have AMD, then. :D

I know, but if they're planning to release the 5000 series this autumn, then there surely must be some details around it.

I thought either Hopper or Blackwell was it, but now that they're both datacentre parts, I don't know what to think.

PC gaming is going to the cloud. You do not get a vote in this. The future of PC gaming is renting GPUs, games, and specs with costs going up if you want better but you will not own shit. PC gamers do not get a vote or a say.

The gaming future that PC, not console, gaming has created is vastly under powered devices with paying out the ass for peripherals. Then tier one service for great graphics, full content, high frames but $$$$. Go down to a medium and it's only $$$. Go down to low and it's $$. Software and hardware as a service is a PC created concept. And PC gaming has been wrecking gaming for decades and is leading the race to this. Console gamers will still own their hardware and games for longer but PC gamers are going to be spending hundreds a month on cloud services and then renting their games on top of it. All while screaming MASTER RACE. But you'll still have RGB!

I'll also state this isn't a bad thing. Putting stuff in the cloud for business has worked out amazingly well and internet speeds have gotten faster. Streaming services for movies obliterated physical disks and the quality is rather good. Audio also mostly moved to digital and people are fine with that.

So unless you want to pay audiophile prices for your physical PC you better get used to cloud gaming and quick. I remember when people pitched fits about losing dedicated servers and even Steam and said it would never happen because PC gaming and we all saw how that workedout. PC gaming will be cloud gaming. Learn to love it and praise the cloud as the new master race or get laughed at by console gamers still playing physical games when it happens.

PC gaming is going to the cloud. You do not get a vote in this. The future of PC gaming is renting GPUs, games, and specs with costs going up if you want better but you will not own shit. PC gamers do not get a vote or a say.

The gaming future that PC, not console, gaming has created is vastly under powered devices with paying out the ass for peripherals. Then tier one service for great graphics, full content, high frames but $$$$. Go down to a medium and it's only $$$. Go down to low and it's $$. Software and hardware as a service is a PC created concept. And PC gaming has been wrecking gaming for decades and is leading the race to this. Console gamers will still own their hardware and games for longer but PC gamers are going to be spending hundreds a month on cloud services and then renting their games on top of it. All while screaming MASTER RACE. But you'll still have RGB!

I'll also state this isn't a bad thing. Putting stuff in the cloud for business has worked out amazingly well and internet speeds have gotten faster. Streaming services for movies obliterated physical disks and the quality is rather good. Audio also mostly moved to digital and people are fine with that.

So unless you want to pay audiophile prices for your physical PC you better get used to cloud gaming and quick. I remember when people pitched fits about losing dedicated servers and even Steam and said it would never happen because PC gaming and we all saw how that workedout. PC gaming will be cloud gaming. Learn to love it and praise the cloud as the new master race or get laughed at by console gamers still playing physical games when it happens.

It will take many years for that to materialize, neither service nor infrastructure are good enough yet. And regarding enterprise moving to the cloud, it was great in some aspect, in others a complete failure and many are now going back to some local infrastructure.

I'm not against cloud gaming in the slightest but many things need to change before it can become a reality. Some of them are technological chalenges - competitive games are just not feasible in the near future - other are business related - just take a look at how licenses are handled in geforce now, it's complete bullshit that publishers get to double dip and dictate which games can or not be used in the service and cloud gaming just won't happen before that's solved.

Software Windows 10 Pro

I've heard people saying that for about a decade, yet, I see the exact opposite. Gaming PC part sales are soaring, Intel is joining the GPU business, and Nvidia is spending more money on technologies upping the hardware requirements of gaming than ever.

Besides, cloud gaming will never overcome the latency issues with crappy infrastructure, therefore, it will never be a viable option for the majority of gamers.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
You sure about that? Shit digital infrastructure across parts of the globe sure has a say.

So unless you want to pay audiophile prices for your physical PC you better get used to cloud gaming and quick. I remember when people pitched fits about losing dedicated servers and even Steam and said it would never happen because PC gaming and we all saw how that workedout.
Yeah, dedicated servers still coexist fine my man. This isn't the point you think it is.