• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[Official] Meta Quest 3

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
System Name Tower of Power / Sechs
Processor i7 14700K / i7 5820k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 / X99S GAMING 7
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Case Phantek "400A" / Phanteks “Enthoo Pro series”
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC4080 / Azalia Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair RM Series RM750 / Corsair CXM CX600M
Mouse Glorious Gaming Model D Wireless / Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
VR HMD Quest 3 (128gb) + Rift S + HTC Vive + DK1
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 / Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Yes
Let's start a new thread for Quest 3. It just released today. :toast: I actually just got back from picking mine up from Best Buy. The box is so small compared to the Quest 2's box. I haven't opened it yet. I'm trying to finish up some work before lunch. lol The wait is hard! I'm so ready to try these new pancake lenses and MR. I'll update this OP when I get more time. Let's start it off who else bought one?

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
Benchmark Scores Yes
I want to be clear when I say this.. If you just come here to say "you don't support Facebook" then keep it to yourself or create a new post in the right Forum section. Let's have a good day!

System Name PC-Chips
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming.
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Air Cooler 6 heat pipes.
Memory Patriot Viper 32gig dual channel 3600mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor HellHound RX 7900 GRE OC
Storage 2X Samsung 860 EVO SSD's 500gig / 2TB crucial P3-NVME / WD-BLUE SN550 1TB M.2 / SP A55 512gig
Display(s) Panasonic 40-inch 4k TV
Case Modded NZXT H510
Audio Device(s) Realtek S1220A - Yamaha A-S501 AMP - 4 x Wharfedale diamond 9.1 speakers - Wharfedale SW150 sub
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G6 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Some cheap wireless thing
Keyboard Razer Cynosa lite
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2 128gig version
Software Windows 11 pro 64bit
Please let us know how much better it might be :) I still love my quest 2 and it's still working great so be nice to have feedback on the new one cheers xD
I can't afford a new one yet lol but depending on what others think it might be something to save up for.

Last edited:

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
Please let us know how much better it might be :) I still love my quest 2 and it's still working great so be nice to have feedback on the new one cheers xD
I can't afford a new one yet lol but depending on what others think it might be something to save up for.
I've only played a little, but so far the FOV is much better. The sweet spot is huge and the new lenses are amazing. I'm very impressed with it so far. I can't get over how clear it is even compared to my Quest 2. I really like the MR so far. The MR isn't perfect but it's very usable and will only get better. I see no screen door at all. The sound is much better than the Quest 2. Even the head strip feels better, but I'll end up getting a better one at some point. I'll come back and report more later. I want to try PCVR on it. I can't wait to see Half-life Alyx.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I've only played a little, but so far the FOV is much better. The sweet spot is huge and the new lenses are amazing. I'm very impressed with it so far. I can't get over how clear it is even compared to my Quest 2. I really like the MR so far. The MR isn't perfect but it's very usable and will only get better. I see no screen door at all. The sound is much better than the Quest 2. Even the head strip feels better, but I'll end up getting a better one at some point. I'll come back and report more later. I want to try PCVR on it. I can't wait to see Half-life Alyx.

I just watched this:

Really good review of it, Quest 3 looks impressive. I might get one next Fall or Winter. It really depends on my job situation. If I was making good money now I'd def get one though based on everything I have read and watched. Only upgrade I think I would make to Quest 3 is the extra battery back add-on that is coming out officially from Meta in a few months or something like that. I don't think the extra weight in the back would be that big of a deal to me, plus it will probably double battery life if not more, hopefully 5 hours total battery life of game time with the extra pack. That is the only weak point I see for Quest 3, that and the screen is apparently a default 90hz as 120hz is still in beta.

I'm still leaning towards waiting to see what Valve offers next in the VR world, but wireless is key for me, cause main benefit of VR is MOVEMENT, like I legit want to get lost in games, and move around, and all that good stuff to help me stay fit. I am retiring my queen size bed next year cause I have never needed a bed this big... and getting a twin-xl bed instead, that combined with rearranging my bedroom will net me a decent 6 foot radius area to play... hopefully that is good enough.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
I just watched this:

Really good review of it, Quest 3 looks impressive. I might get one next Fall or Winter. It really depends on my job situation. If I was making good money now I'd def get one though based on everything I have read and watched. Only upgrade I think I would make to Quest 3 is the extra battery back add-on that is coming out officially from Meta in a few months or something like that. I don't think the extra weight in the back would be that big of a deal to me, plus it will probably double battery life if not more, hopefully 5 hours total battery life of game time with the extra pack. That is the only weak point I see for Quest 3, that and the screen is apparently a default 90hz as 120hz is still in beta.

I haven't heard that but I can confirm that I do not see a 120hz option in settings like the Quest 2. I figured it was just standard now.

I'm still leaning towards waiting to see what Valve offers next in the VR world

Aren't we all waiting on the Deckard.. lol I will 100% give my Quest 3 to my girls and get the Deckard for myself. Of course the price will tell how quickly I upgrade.. lol I have to say $499 for the Quest 3 is a good deal. The lenses are so big and clear. I always struggled finding the sweet spot and keeping in set on my Quest 2. That's a thing of the past with how big the sweet spot is on the Quest 3.

Oh and, the limited FOV if you have a wide ipd sucked due to the single screen. The Quest 3 has two screens and having the wheel on the bottom to set ipd is way better than the 3 settings on the Quest 2. Now you just turn the wheel and the ipd number pops up in the HMD. My IPD is 67 but testing it looks amazing on 66,67,68. that's how big the sweet spot is. At first the FOV was good but I felt it should be bigger from all of the reviews and then it hit me their is 4 different setting for eye glasses relief. It came set on setting 2. I set it to one and it's made the FOV bigger. I can't wait for better face gaskets. I can push it closer to my face and the FOV is fantastic compared to my Quest 2. In the past I bought the 6" face gasket from VRCovers and it did wonders on my Vive. I hope they are working on one for the Quest 3. Now don't get me wrong the standard one is very nice and the FOV is really good, but I'm looking to squeeze out as much as possible. lol

, but wireless is key for me, cause main benefit of VR is MOVEMENT, like I legit want to get lost in games, and move around, and all that good stuff to help me stay fit. I am retiring my queen size bed next year cause I have never needed a bed this big... and getting a twin-xl bed instead, that combined with rearranging my bedroom will net me a decent 6 foot radius area to play... hopefully that is good enough.

I still need to try wireless. I ran out of time last night. I have only really been doing MR stuff. The First Encounters is really awesome. I played it first in my bedroom. It was wild a spot on my ceiling blasted open from a laser or something. It was crazy seeing all of the rubble fall all over my bed. Then the spaceship landed on my bed. Then these alien fury balls (I said that) starting invading my room. A blaster popped up in the middle and I just reach out and grabbed it. Then started shooting the little fur balls. It put bubbles around the aliens and then the ship vacuumed them from the top of the ship.

I just noticed you don't have your VR HMD in your system specs. I worked hard to get that added to our system specs. hehe I was like @W1zzard can we add VR HMD to our system specs. He was like, "You got it kid!". :cool: But now that I'm thinking about it we might want to update it to VR/MR HMD since the Quest 3 and the soon to be Apple Vision Pro are MR HMD's. hehe I can't wait to see how many people get the Vision Pro. I've never been an Apple guy but I might get the Vision Pro.. haha

EDIT: Sorry for the wall of text.. lol I'm just excited over MR.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I haven't heard that but I can confirm that I do not see a 120hz option in settings like the Quest 2. I figured it was just standard now.

Aren't we all waiting on the Deckard.. lol I will 100% give my Quest 3 to my girls and get the Deckard for myself. Of course the price will tell how quickly I upgrade.. lol I have to say $499 for the Quest 3 is a good deal. The lenses are so big and clear. I always struggled finding the sweet spot and keeping in set on my Quest 2. That's a thing of the past with how big the sweet spot is on the Quest 3.

Oh and, the limited FOV if you have a wide ipd sucked due to the single screen. The Quest 3 has two screens and having the wheel on the bottom to set ipd is way better than the 3 settings on the Quest 2. Now you just turn the wheel and the ipd number pops up in the HMD. My IPD is 67 but testing it looks amazing on 66,67,68. that's how big the sweet spot is. At first the FOV was good but I felt it should be bigger from all of the reviews and then it hit me their is 4 different setting for eye glasses relief. It came set on setting 2. I set it to one and it's made the FOV bigger. I can't wait for better face gaskets. I can push it closer to my face and the FOV is fantastic compared to my Quest 2. In the past I bought the 6" face gasket from VRCovers and it did wonders on my Vive. I hope they are working on one for the Quest 3. Now don't get me wrong the standard one is very nice and the FOV is really good, but I'm looking to squeeze out as much as possible. lol

I still need to try wireless. I ran out of time last night. I have only really been doing MR stuff. The First Encounters is really awesome. I played it first in my bedroom. It was wild a spot on my ceiling blasted open from a laser or something. It was crazy seeing all of the rubble fall all over my bed. Then the spaceship landed on my bed. Then these alien fury balls (I said that) starting invading my room. A blaster popped up in the middle and I just reach out and grabbed it. Then started shooting the little fur balls. It put bubbles around the aliens and then the ship vacuumed them from the top of the ship.

I just noticed you don't have your VR HMD in your system specs. I worked hard to get that added to our system specs. hehe I was like @W1zzard can we add VR HMD to our system specs. He was like, "You got it kid!". :cool: But now that I'm thinking about it we might want to update it to VR/MR HMD since the Quest 3 and the soon to be Apple Vision Pro are MR HMD's. hehe I can't wait to see how many people get the Vision Pro. I've never been an Apple guy but I might get the Vision Pro.. haha

EDIT: Sorry for the wall of text.. lol I'm just excited over MR.

no need to be sorry at all for being excited, this is good innovation in the technical specs arena, and in all honesty mate if I had a couple kids of my own I would consider splurging and getting quest 3 for everyone we we could do co-op and party games together as a family. I just hope the games can impress moving forward, having 500+ games on backwards compatibility helps too.

does meta still offer a subscription service where you get access to a few different games each month? that might be worth it, but I am unsure.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Kind of on the fence about a quest 3 myself. $500 is the same price I paid for my Index and I'd at the least need to spend another $80 on a link cable and $70 on the elite strap. From the impressions I've seen, likely need some sort of audio solution as well. Hard to beat the audio solution the Index has, it's perfect for VR. It was always annoying when I had my Oculus rift how the Oculus service was always running and it would actively steal focus and minimize full screen applications every few hours. Had to create a bat file to stop it but manually having to run that every time you enter and exit VR was tedious. It'd be a large visual upgrade of course but I feel like if Valve does release something it's going to have similar or better specs at the same $500 price point.

does meta still offer a subscription service where you get access to a few different games each month? that might be worth it, but I am unsure.

I'm not sure if they do but even if they did it wouldn't be worth it. There really aren't enough good VR games being released right now to justify a subscription. It'd be cheaper just to buy the games you want to play, particularly during a sale. Humble Bundle for example has $230 worth of VR games for $30 right now.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Kind of on the fence about a quest 3 myself. $500 is the same price I paid for my Index and I'd at the least need to spend another $80 on a link cable and $70 on the elite strap. From the impressions I've seen, likely need some sort of audio solution as well. Hard to beat the audio solution the Index has, it's perfect for VR. It was always annoying when I had my Oculus rift how the Oculus service was always running and it would actively steal focus and minimize full screen applications every few hours. Had to create a bat file to stop it but manually having to run that every time you enter and exit VR was tedious. It'd be a large visual upgrade of course but I feel like if Valve does release something it's going to have similar or better specs at the same $500 price point.

I'm not sure if they do but even if they did it wouldn't be worth it. There really aren't enough good VR games being released right now to justify a subscription. It'd be cheaper just to buy the games you want to play, particularly during a sale. Humble Bundle for example has $230 worth of VR games for $30 right now.

Index is really $1000 for most people, which is why I don't have one, cause most of us don't have the w.e they are called to make it work right. If I were to get Quest 3 and I probably won't since I am struggling to find work lately, I think the battery extension headstrap would be a must for me.

Nice find on the Humble VR bundle... might have a look at this, because I am 100% doing VR soimeday, even if its not this year or next.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Index is really $1000 for most people, which is why I don't have one, cause most of us don't have the w.e they are called to make it work right. If I were to get Quest 3 and I probably won't since I am struggling to find work lately, I think the battery extension headstrap would be a must for me.

Nice find on the Humble VR bundle... might have a look at this, because I am 100% doing VR soimeday, even if its not this year or next.

Yep, I make it a habit to check humble every few months as their VR bundles usually provide a ton of value.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Yep, I make it a habit to check humble every few months as their VR bundles usually provide a ton of value.
If you are a dedicated PC Gamer Humble is your friend.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
Yeah, Meta has a subscription, but like @evernessince said it's really not worth it at the moment. There is enough free to play stuff to keep you over until you can buy some games.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
the funny thing is I really only want beat saber to get fit, lmao

i hope some more good fitness games come along and not just cash grabs, make losing weight fun, such a golden chance with VR... sadly those games largely seem to be cash grabs or actual boring workout games...

beat saber is the only one that made losing weight fun to my knowledge. any others anyone can think of? quest 3 has the best hand tracking, so its really the ideal platform for it

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
the funny thing is I really only want beat saber to get fit, lmao

i hope some more good fitness games come along and not just cash grabs, make losing weight fun, such a golden chance with VR... sadly those games largely seem to be cash grabs or actual boring workout games...

beat saber is the only one that made losing weight fun to my knowledge. any others anyone can think of? quest 3 has the best hand tracking, so its really the ideal platform for it

If you want to get fit I highly recommend Thrill of the fight. It's several times more of a workout, just make sure you have water handy and that you pace yourself. Most people I demo the game to are winded half-way through the first round. Beat Saber is a good warmup on expert / expert plus but you can't control the pacing so often I found it hard to get an effective workout. I've played a variety of VR workout games for years now and thrill of the fight is the one I'm still coming back to frequently.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
If you want to get fit I highly recommend Thrill of the fight. It's several times more of a workout, just make sure you have water handy and that you pace yourself. Most people I demo the game to are winded half-way through the first round. Beat Saber is a good warmup on expert / expert plus but you can't control the pacing so often I found it hard to get an effective workout. I've played a variety of VR workout games for years now and thrill of the fight is the one I'm still coming back to frequently.

ty for the recommendation, you just fired me up baby!

TIMESTAMPED!!!! LESSSSSS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:rockout::rockout::rockout::rockout::rockout::rockout::rockout::rockout::rockout::rockout::rockout::rockout::rockout::rockout::rockout::rockout:

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
I tried PCVR using the Air Bridge last night for the first time on my Quest 3.... OMG, it's incredible! It's so much better than on my Quest 2. Before I felt my Rift S was better visually than my Quest 2 on Air Bridge, but I still used my Quest 2 because wireless is much better than having a cable. Now with the Quest 3 the visuals are much better than the Quest 2 and Rift S. I loaded up Alyx and it looks incredible. So much more detail. The colors are much better than the Quest 2. I felt the blacks were a little better but still not as good as OLED.

I think tonight I'm going to 3d print the Quest 3 adapters for my DAS. The strap is a step up from the Quest 2 but not by much. I want to get the BOBO VR Halo strap but it's sold out atm. The actual speakers on the Quest 3 is way better than what was on the Quest 2. I know the MR part isn't it's strong point visually, but I really like the MR stuff so far. The auto boundary scan works great.

Jbug

Hey every one. I got my MQ3 on launch. I'm having a problem with powering off. When I power down with the button press and then select power off it goes off but comes on again. I have the Elite Strap w/Battery and I found that the only way to power down is to disconnect the Elite Strap from the headset and then do the usual steps to power down. I had that problem with the Quest 2 also. Also, the green light will also stay on until I disconnect the strap from the headset. Anyone have this problem.

In order to stream PCVR wirelessly to Quest 3, do i need to have a router, or can i just buy one of those PCI WIfi 6e adapters and stream to headset over that?

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
I played with one and it was cool leaps ahead of my gen1 vive so I picked one up

IMG_3654.jpeg

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
Seems like there is very high demand for Q3. Wanted to buy it from Amazon de, and it says "in stock", but it also says delivery around mid December. So it can't be in stock. They just want to take as much money as they can and make people wait for restock.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
Seems like there is very high demand for Q3. Wanted to buy it from Amazon de, and it says "in stock", but it also says delivery around mid December. So it can't be in stock. They just want to take as much money as they can and make people wait for restock.
Yeah, the demand is way higher than I was expecting. I do have to say that I'm blown away at how much better it is than the Quest 2. The Quest 2 is still a great headset but after Quest 3 I could never go back to not having full color passthrough with depth correction. I don't even have a home environment. I only use passthrough while I'm not in a VR game.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
High praise indeed. I had no clue the Quest 3 would be so well received.

I mean, I'm a little skeptical just because I didn't experience massive changes in the progression from Oculus Rift to Quest v1 to Quest v2 but I hearing mostly good things.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
High praise indeed. I had no clue the Quest 3 would be so well received.

I mean, I'm a little skeptical just because I didn't experience massive changes in the progression from Oculus Rift to Quest v1 to Quest v2 but I hearing mostly good things.
I just got my Bobo VR M3 pro halo strap. That's a mouth full... haha So, far it's a great addition. I bought the AMVR controller straps as well.

Seems like quite the investment when you buy all the accessories to make the headset and controlers more comfortable, battery life better, good connection to PC etc.