• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Only EDP Other in Core?

ProgUn1corn

Hi, I'm running MSI GE78 HX with 14900HX. I have unlocked the locks in BIos and successfully undervolted. However I've noticed that the CPU power limit does not go over 145w, even the thermal is very capable and PL2 is at 220w (by default). There's constant EDP Other showing red, only in Core and Ring. It firstly only showed in Core, after seconds Ring starts to blink. There's no PL1 or PL2 or Thermal in Core or Ring, and nothing in GPU.

Things I have done:
- Unlocked everything in BIOS
- Changed AC Loadline to 85, by default it's 110 across AC and DC
- Disabled CEP for IA and GT
- Disabled Hyper Threading
- IA and GT current max mode (512A for both)
- Disabled TVB
- PL4 set to 0
- Changed the system to discrete graphics mode instead of MSHybrid

Here's the throttlestop menu:
1714057726786.png

1714057743428.png

1714057777795.png

1714057811031.png

When running things like Cinebench:

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
IA and GT current max mode (512A for both)
Did you set IccMax for both the P core and the P cache to 511.75? You can try setting all 6 domains to 511.75. Usually if both the core and the P cache are set correctly then it is likely that your laptop is using an embedded controller (EC) to enforce a current limit that ThrottleStop does not have access to. You can have a look in the BIOS but I do not know if the BIOS will give you access to the EC current limit either.

You can try setting IMON Slope to 50 in the BIOS. Maybe that will get you beyond this current limit.

However I've noticed that the CPU power limit does not go over 145w
The amount of power being consumed is just a coincidence. It is a current limit that is causing the throttling.

Some people use the mV Boost feature. Setting that to at least 100 or 200 can allow you to undervolt more without crashing. This trick might help you stay under the current limit. That might help you run the CPU a little faster during Cinebench.

ProgUn1corn

Did you set IccMax for both the P core and the P cache to 511.75? You can try setting all 6 domains to 511.75. Usually if both the core and the P cache are set correctly then it is likely that your laptop is using an embedded controller (EC) to enforce a current limit that ThrottleStop does not have access to. You can have a look in the BIOS but I do not know if the BIOS will give you access to the EC current limit either.

You can try setting IMON Slope to 50 in the BIOS. Maybe that will get you beyond this current limit.

The amount of power being consumed is just a coincidence. It is a current limit that is causing the throttling.

Some people use the mV Boost feature. Setting that to at least 100 or 200 can allow you to undervolt more without crashing. This trick might help you stay under the current limit. That might help you run the CPU a little faster during Cinebench.
I have checked that both P core and P cache is 511.75, so it's not that problem.

However after some testing, I've found that it could be actually the current is too large to pull. I did some pretty extensive undervolting and disabled hyperthreading, it could be that it's too much so the current isn't gonna hold up. Because I actually get the same, or even more performance than 175w before, it can acheive CB23 28000 at 145w with HT off, while there was only 26000-27000 at 175w with HT off without any unervolting.

After some troubleshooting I've found that when I set CFG Lock and Overclocking Lock to disabled, it will somehow make the power less, even I tried to delete throttlestop.ini and reset everything back to normal. After undervolting, I'm able to get 170-180w with HT on by nature, scored 33000+ on CB23, 145w with HT off. I guess it's actually good because the system now uses much less power to get the same or better performance before.

Orwennes

MSI locks the current limit in EC, changing the Icc Max doesn't really take effect. But if you switch to iGPU only mode you will see that the current limit will follow the BIOS setting, EDP Other will not turn red anymore, and the CPU performance will be improved. I was told by someone from MSI Taiwan that this is a bug and they are investigating the issue, which affects all models with 13th and 14th gen CPUs.

You can unlock the current limit by modding the EC and BIOS, but I don't recommend it, better wait for MSI to update the BIOS.

ProgUn1corn

MSI locks the current limit in EC, changing the Icc Max doesn't really take effect. But if you switch to iGPU only mode you will see that the current limit will follow the BIOS setting, EDP Other will not turn red anymore, and the CPU performance will be improved. I was told by someone from MSI Taiwan that this is a bug and they are investigating the issue, which affects all models with 13th and 14th gen CPUs.

You can unlock the current limit by modding the EC and BIOS, but I don't recommend it, better wait for MSI to update the BIOS.
Yeah, I'm in discrete GPU mode so probably that's the reason. I'm fine with the performance I have now though, but it would be even better if they can fix this bug.