• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC Monitor upgrade advice

System Name Red Cute Pet xD
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus B650E-E ROG Strix
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Acer Predator Vesta II 32GB (16GB * 2) DDR5 6000MT/s CL30-38-38-76
Video Card(s) Yeston GeForce RTX 4060 8GB Cute Pet Edition
Display(s) Acer Predator X35 G-Sync Ultimate
Case Lian-Li O11 Air Mini Black-Mesh
Power Supply Toughpower GF3 1200W Gold - TT Premium Edition
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero wired
VR HMD Nope NOpe NOPE
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores Nothing special...Yet.
Hi all, I am currently having Acer Predator X35 as my screen, it's pushing 3440*1440, I wanted to know your opinion about upgrading to Asus PG49WCD.

The main difference between both - please correct me if I am wrong - that the Predator is a VA Panel pushing HDR1000, the Asus one is QD-OLED but pushing HDR400. I am aware that the Asus one is bigger, updated, more pixels and bigger resolution, but my main conern is: will the image quality be impacted? is the difference between both worth the upgrade? My experience so far with HDR1000 is EPIC! also, I have an LG OLED TV where PS5 games look amazing at, so is that upgrade worth it or should I wait more on my current screen? should I consider another screen beside the ASUS one that has better specs? maybe OLED or QD-OLED + HDR1000?! thank you so much for the feedback in advance!

Side note: The ASUS one will justify buying a stronger GPU later I believe xD!

Comparison between: 49" Asus ROG Swift OLED PG49WCD, 35" Acer Predator X35 (displayspecifications.com)

Generally speaking in terms of color quality OLED is unrivaled without a question so I imagine the upgrade might be worthwhile. The ASUS you are looking at is 5120x1440 which while bigger, might not require an upgrade as it only goes up to 144hz compared to the up to 200hz the acer X35 can push. However I imagine pixel density will be worse since it still is only 1440p but whether or not you can see this is uncertain. Additionally the ASUS is only rated at HDR 400 true black so it likely wont be as bright.

Edit: I just checked your profile and it says you are using a RTX 4060... controversy with the card aside if you seriously want to game with a HDR1000 at 4k or 2k resolution you need at least a RTX 3080 and if you are spending that much on a monitor a rtx 4090 might not be a bad decision even if the price might say otherwise...

From this conclusion you probably need to look elsewhere as there are much better options. If you are looking for HDR1000 monitors and stuff the official VESA HDR website will help you: https://displayhdr.org/certified-products/

Last edited:
System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
They are rather different displays in practical terms. Yes, OLED will generally look superior in terms of colors and contrast. Moreover, despite the fact that the Asus model has a lower refresh rate, the actual motion performance will likely be significantly better since you are going from a somewhat sluggish VA panel to the fastest display technology available today.
All that being said, you should be aware that the Asus is even wider than the Predator. This will inevitably cause issues in some content and may be not practical for your particular scenario. Furthermore, driving games at this higher resolution will require even more GPU grunt which you might find you lack. As far as PS5 is concerned, I have no idea how it will play with 32:9. Probably a centered image with black bars? I am not exactly sure, someone could correct me.
But one thing is certain - if you do have a need for a monitor that will essentially work as two 2560x1440 displays side by side in one package you could certainly do much worse than the Asus. I am just not sure how useful that would be for your particular usecase.

Edit: I just noticed that my reply looks like I am a goddamn chat AI. That’s what I get when I post on a weekend in the morning before my coffee. Almost impressive, really.

System Name Desktop/HTPC
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi ITX
Cooling ID Cooling DashFlow 240mm AIO
Memory 64GB (2x32) G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3600 CL18
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24GB
Storage 4TB WD SN850X NVMe, 2TB WD SN850X NVMe
Display(s) LG OLED65B9PUA 65" 4K OLED TV
Case Lian Li x Dan A4-H20
Audio Device(s) USB to MiniDSP DDRC24 DAC, RCA to SUMO Andromeda amp, wired to Wharfedale SP88 speakers
Power Supply Silverstone SX1000R SFX-L Platinum ATX 3.0
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini
VR HMD Oculus Rift / PSVR / PSVR2 / Lenovo Explorer
Software Windows 11 Pro
If you've got space for it and your main focus is gaming (not a lot of programming or spreadsheet work where burn in might be an issue, not that I had any problems after several years with a much older B9) I'd just get a 42" LG C3. Better peak brightness, full 4k for YouTube/movies, Dolby Vision, pretty much the same price.