• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Phil Spencer Imagines His Ideal Xbox Handheld Experience

T0@st

News Editor
Staff member
Phil Spencer has professed that he is a proud owner of a Lenovo Legion Go handheld gaming PC, but has experimented with other mainstream portable devices in recent times. Polygon conducted an "extensive" interview with the CEO of Microsoft Gaming—headlines have been generated from this tête-à-tête, mostly focusing on his wishlist of additional digital storefronts appearing on Xbox platforms. Ecosystem familiarity seem to be a very important aspect (in Spencer's opinion)—something that the current crop of handhelds lack: "I want my Lenovo Legion Go to feel like an Xbox. I brought (the Legion Go) with me to GDC. I'm on the airplane and I have this list of everything that makes it not feel like an Xbox. Forget about the brand. More like: Are all of my games there? Do all my games show up with the save (files) that I want? I'll tell you one (game) that doesn't right now—it's driving me crazy—is Fallout 76. It doesn't have cross-save."

He continued: "I want to be able to boot into the Xbox app in a full screen, but in a compact mode. And all of my social (experience) is there. Like I want it to feel like the dash of my Xbox when I turn on the television. (Except I want it) on those devices." Industry rumors have swirled around the possible existence of an in-development Xbox handheld—Spencer confirmed that his hardware design team, headed up by Roanne Sones, has weighed up: "different hardware form factors and things that (they) could go do...What should we build that will find new players? That will allow people to play at times when they couldn't go play (in the past)?"

Polygon's article outlines two different handheld approaches—as proposed by Spencer: "the hardware versus the software approach. As he said, he has strong feelings about what a handheld Xbox device should feel like. But he also recognizes—having learned from the console business—that players may choose brands other than Xbox. For those players, Spencer wants to improve the Xbox handheld gaming software experience, too—particularly for people who have devices running Windows, like the Legion Go and the Ally."

The chief of Xbox elaborated further: "I like the fact that Valve, Lenovo, and Asus went out and innovated in a new form factor. And I will say that when I'm playing on those devices, it almost feels more like a console than a PC—nine times out of 10. The things that usually frustrate me are more Windows-based than device-based. Which is an area I feel some ownership of. Like, I want to be able to log in with a controller. I've got my list of things we should go do...From a game creator standpoint...I can then go build a single version of my game that spans more hardware and reaches more customers. And I would say for players, it reduces the friction. Like, if I want to go play my console games on the go with a handheld, I don't want to only be able to buy one brand of handheld. Right? I want everything that we're doing in the hardware space to be great. But if somebody chooses to go play today (somewhere else), I don't want them to feel like a lesser Xbox (player/user)."

The Nintendo Wii was cited as major industry milestone/inflection point—with its hardware synergizing with software in a very creative way. Spencer clarified that he was not outright confirming the existence of an Xbox handheld (at the end of Polygon's interview session), but he stated that his hardware team is working hard on solutions that will match recent first-party-developed software innovations. Industry watchdogs reckon that Microsoft and Sony should circle back and dedicate more resources to core hardware and software experiences, rather than waste efforts on niche offshoots.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name Stugots V
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Thermalright PA-120 Black
Memory 2 x 16GB G.Skill 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual RTX 4070
Storage 500GB WD SN750 | 2TB WD SN750 | 6TB WD Red +
Display(s) Dell S2716DG (1440p / 144Hz)
Case Fractal Meshify 2 Compact
Audio Device(s) JDS Labs Element | Audioengine HD3 + A8 | Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro (250)
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Leopold FC750R
Software Win 10 Pro x64
How about you imagine a console with AAAs on it first Phil.

System Name Hulk
Processor 9900k@4.9GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus X Hero/Wi-Fi
Cooling Custom water
Memory 32GB 3600 CL18
Video Card(s) 3080 10GB
Display(s) Gigabyte Aorus FI32U 32" 4k 120Hz IPS
Case Corsair 750D
Power Supply beQuiet Dark Power Pro 1200W
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 700
Keyboard Logitech G815 GL-Tactile
VR HMD Quest 2
Legion Go users unite! There are dozens of us :D
I would actually like to see an Xbox handheld, I think that would be pretty cool if they did it right.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
'Fallout 76 doesn't have cross-save'...

Oh dear Phil. Yeah. Oh my. You're part of the in-crowd now boy. Come. I have a puke bucket here.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Hummm.....a pretty sad day when the "CEO of M$ gamin" resorts to using/shillin for someone else's product just to get his name in the press.....

must be a slow day @M$ corp offices :D

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
knowing microsoft ... they will probably use a variant windows 11 os that is locked to the handheld...
like the original surface 1 and 2 machine.. had i think windows 8.. or windows s
i cant really remember the os name ... you could only get the programs from the store... cant install anything..

System Name :)
Processor Intel 13700k
Motherboard Gigabyte z790 UD AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 64GB GSKILL DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage 960GB Optane 905P U.2 SSD + 4TB PCIe4 U.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz QD-OLED + Nixeus 27" IPS 1440p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) MOTU M4 - JBL 305P MKII w/2x JL Audio 10 Sealed --- X-Fi Titanium HD - Presonus Eris E5 - JBL 4412
Power Supply Silverstone 1000W
Mouse Roccat Kain 122 AIMO
Keyboard KBD67 Lite / Mammoth75
VR HMD Reverb G2 V2
Software Win 11 Pro
knowing microsoft ... they will probably use a variant windows 11 os that is locked to the handheld...
like the original surface 1 and 2 machine.. had i think windows 8.. or windows s
i cant really remember the os name ... you could only get the programs from the store... cant install anything..
you're talking about windows RT?
Because you could switch out of S mode in Windows to have the regular experience.

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
you're talking about windows RT?
Because you could switch out of S mode in Windows to have the regular experience.
well i never knew that... learn something everyday

"Are all my games there?" - I don't know if all my games are on the Xbox or Xbox store though. I reckoned a big chunk of them are not on Xbox. And to be honest, assuming I can see my game on it, it does not mean that I can play it because I don't have sufficient storage to hold them all and it needs to be online all the time.

"Are all my games there?" - I don't know if all my games are on the Xbox or Xbox store though. I reckoned a big chunk of them are not on Xbox. And to be honest, assuming I can see my game on it, it does not mean that I can play it because I don't have sufficient storage to hold them all and it needs to be online all the time.
This, if Spencer is truly serious about Xbox app/service being a one stop shop they gotta integrate stuff not on Xbox, GoG launcher is great for this reason. But and I can't stress this enough without having to install the other brands launcher the way Xbox handles this now is messy.

screen-shot-2012-05-31-at-20-27-09-2218874696.png

Phil's ideal handheld.

Been using an ROG Ally since December and honestly, it's an amazing little device. It plays most of my games well enough to be satisfied with the experience. Haven't gamed on the gaming PC i a while. The VRR screen is a must though .... don't know why Lenovo didn't include one. Hopefully Mr Spencer understands this drawback.

Processor i7-13700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Maximus Z690 Hero
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z73, (6) Lian Li Uni Fan SL Infinity 120mm
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 2x16GB 6400mhz (32-39-39-102)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC
Storage (1) SK hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, (1) WD Blue SN550 500GB, (1) Patriot Scorch 256GB
Display(s) (1) 32" Samsung Odyssey G7, (1) Dell S3222DGM, (2) Dell S2721DGF
Case Corsair iCUE 4000x
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso RGB
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V3 Pro
Keyboard Corsair K70
VR HMD Quest 2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Been using an ROG Ally since December and honestly, it's an amazing little device. It plays most of my games well enough to be satisfied with the experience. Haven't gamed on the gaming PC i a while. The VRR screen is a must though .... don't know why Lenovo didn't include one. Hopefully Mr Spencer understands this drawback.
I've had a Steam Deck since the Great Wait began during COVID. Updated to the OLED version when it released. I've been pleased with it as well. I like to hear from folks who have used both. Have you? Just curious.

I have the same device and I love it as well. I use it to stream my Series X to it and it’s been amazing. It’s kind of like Asus’s XG MOBILE eGPUs but wirelessly doing it and it uses the Xbox OS interface instead of Windows.

System Name Hulk
Processor 9900k@4.9GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus X Hero/Wi-Fi
Cooling Custom water
Memory 32GB 3600 CL18
Video Card(s) 3080 10GB
Display(s) Gigabyte Aorus FI32U 32" 4k 120Hz IPS
Case Corsair 750D
Power Supply beQuiet Dark Power Pro 1200W
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 700
Keyboard Logitech G815 GL-Tactile
VR HMD Quest 2
I've had a Steam Deck since the Great Wait began during COVID. Updated to the OLED version when it released. I've been pleased with it as well. I like to hear from folks who have used both. Have you? Just curious.
I went from Steam Deck to the Legion Go. What do you want to know? Windows means you can play any game on any launcher, or indeed not on a launcher at all. However with Windows comes a constant need to tweak graphics settings to get something playable & no amazing sleep & resume capability like on SteamOS. I personally also like the option of using an eGPU over TB3/USB4 which the Deck can't do unfortunately. Other pros for the Go are the much larger screen, at the cost of portability of course, & whilst not much will hit 144Hz on the Go it's really nice to have that smoothness for the things that do, & for general Windows use. I like the detachable controllers too, but rarely play with them detached.