• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Problem with ResizeBar / GPU-Z on "Advanced" Tab / PCIe ResizableBar on the bottom "PCI- Express Bar Sizes" / Bar1 has wierd values

I had some problems activating resizable Bar previously on my RTX 4070. Basicly i have all the requierments to activate it. But scince last time i try it i get BSOD which never finished and just hang up. And then my SSD was just gone. I couldn't see it in Bios anymore nor could i get back to windows.. So this was the first and only time i activated "resizable bar" + above 4g decoding in bios and disabling CSM..
First to say my SSD harddrive is partitioned as GPT and not MBR. So disabling CSM should not cause any issue - but what happend is what i awready write above..
Anyway i get recently back to this topic "resizable bar" and i found something wierd on gpu-z ("Advanced" Tab / "PCI- Express Bar Sizes" / Bar1 to be specific)

So when i see people going to the "Advanced" Tab / PCIe ResizableBar down on the bottom is "PCI-Express Bar Sizes" and there are 3 values below. BAR0 and value next to it , BAR1 and BAR2 and here is what most people have and how it looks like
example:
ResizableBarWhatPeopleNormallyHave.jpg

Or another example from some video tutorial on youtube with someone having rtx 3060
resizebar3060.png

so you see the values they both have for BAR0 - 16MB then BAR1 - 16384MB and BAR2 - 32MB... All people have this exact values i assume if they have 16gb of RAM so i aways see this values so far... And i awso have 16gb ram but my stuff

looks like this:
MyResizebar.png

BAR1 at my side is at 256MB lol i don't see anyone to has this low value besides me.. So i'm wondering if my BSOD has something to do with this and what is this even meaning ? You can awso check your values there and i bet it's not at 256MB... Btw i have ryzen 5600x cpu and a buddy of mine has the exact same pc except he has 4070 super and he had zero issues activating resizable bar. We have the same motherboard as well B550 Auros Pro V2 so i think this meets or it should meet the requierments to activate ResizeBar (on his side it works). Because what happend the first time (immidiatly pc crash with BSOD and hanging up "information collecting" never finished and my SSD was gone as if it wasn't existing) Anyway scince then im really unsure and have really bad feeling if i should activate this again and maybe this BAR1 has something to do with it ? If someone knows more whats going on with this any help is greatly appreciated.

I have im bios all the settings like activate above 4G Decoding and "ResizeBar activate/deactivate" So it has to be supported. The only thing different on my pc setup from my buddy is i think he has maybe newer bios and he has different ram kit 4000mhz with slightly worse timings then mine.. We both had Infinity fabric to 2000mhz but after a while i found out some "whea" errors on my side so i get it down a bit to 1900 infinity fabric and ram to 3800mhz no whea errors anymore and all very stable. As i activated the ResizableBar back then the infinity fabric was at 2000mhz and ram to 4000mhz tough..

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11
256MBs sounds like standard bar size, rebar not enabled.

So i guess you have resize bar enabled then ? Would nice to hear if you get as well 256mb when it is disabled to confirm if this it true. Or is this really the case ? Do you have some source on this so i can check this out ?

Maybe you are right i just found a screenshot from non activated ResizeBar and is indeed at 256MB then.. Hmm any toughts on why my pc react so badly when i try to activate the resizesable bar?
bandicam 2024-03-17 05-10-27-358.png

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11
So i guess you have resize bar enabled then ? Would nice to hear if you get as well 256mb when it is disabled to confirm if this it true. Or is this really the case ? Do you have some source on this so i can check this out ?

Maybe you are right i just found a screenshot from non activated ResizeBar and is indeed at 256MB then.. Hmm any toughts on why my pc react so badly when i try to activate the resizesable bar?
View attachment 339327
What is your card? Some early 3xxx series require an updated vbios from the manufacturer to enable rebar.

Also obviously needs the mobo bios setting on.

My card is an RTX 4070 i write this awready up there and you see it as well on my GPU-Z screenshot. And as far as i know my pc is fully supporting resizable bar. My buddy has almost the exact same pc and on his side it is working without any issues. Cpu is ryzen 5600x with B550 AORUS Pro V2 which we both have i have 4070 and he has 4070 super and we both have 16GB DDR4 4000mhz ram. The thing is back then as i activated the resizable bar and had the issues i had 2000mhz infinity fabric and ram to 4000mhz which wasn't perfectly stable (there were some WHEA warnings/errors) - if that can be causing this issues when activating resizeBar ? Today i have turned this down a bit at 1900mhz infinity fabric and 3800mhz ram which all runs very stable now. Problem i don't feel comfortable to activate this Resizable bar again scince what happend last time and im not sure if the same will repeat if i do.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
1. Your screenshot also states “CSM Disabled - No”. CSM must be off in the BIOS for ReBAR to activate properly. It should be no issue in your case since your OS is already in UEFI mode.
2. RAM being stable or not can potentially affect things, sure. Anything above 1800Mhz on IF is a gamble on Zen 3, so your mileage will vary. If you are proven stable at 1900, then enabling ReBAR shouldn’t cause issues.

Yes CSM is not deactivated and the rest is deactivated for the resizebar stuff. As i mentioned it is deactivated scince the last time where my pc immidiatly crashed when i activated resizable bar. And im really unsure if i should even try this again. How do i know if this will not happen again if i activate resizebar right now ? And what could have cause such a crash in the first place ? I mean my ssd was literally gone a Samsung 980. Not showing up in bios. I reset bios and it was still gone. Then i restart pc many times and no ssd still.. After an half hour of testing with bios i shut down the pc and waited 10 min and all of a sudden ssd was back in bios and i could manage to get back to windows. So the ssd must have take some hit from this resizable bar thing right after i activate it and everything crashed. So again how do i know this will not happen again if i activate this resizable bar ?

Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
If you don’t want to enable ReBAR you don’t have to. Obviously. Modern GPUs do see a performance uplift in certain scenarios with it On, though. And in vast majority of cases this is a “set and forget” feature that should not cause issues. Your individual system instability is most likely due to other causes and enabling ReBAR just either triggered or exacerbated them. No stable system should see any sort of crashing from enabling ReBAR.

If you don’t want to enable ReBAR you don’t have to.
Well not that i don't want i wish i could. But i'm afraid of what can happen lol. My system is rock solid. I never have any bluescreen or wierd crashes abolutely zero scince i build the pc and configure it. I can play or work for hours with it and nothing happens all works perfectly fine. My temps are awso really good. GPU is at max 61-62°c when gaming 1 hours at 4k so it is at 99% or so load all the time. Cpu has awso good temps around 64-65°c . No wierd hotspot temps anywhere and no errors or bluescreens ever. So basicly if all is right and working fine i should not have any issues to activate "above 4g decoding" and enable resizable bar + disable CSM right ?

The only difference back then as i enabled resizable bar to today is that the pc was with IF @ 2000mhz and ram was at the default xmp speed of 4000mhz speed (acer predator/ samsung b-die ram). Where later i found out that this wasn't perfectly stable. It run seemingly stable but i had many WHEA errors so i tuned the settings down to IF 1900mhz and ram to 3800mhz. Scince then all works really solid with no issues. Hence my question previously if this may be related with the BSOD i had after activating resizable bar when IF was not running optimal with those 2000mhz.
Maybe now after this part is fixed i mean no whea errors anymore so should i try to activate the resizable bar now and see how it goes ? I still have a bad feeling to do it. Is not a question if i want to do it but is it safe now to do it lol..

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
I have a 4070 also, posting a pic in case it helps .................

Untitled.jpg

I have a 4070 also, posting a pic in case it helps .................

I guess my gpu-z will look like that too after i enable it. I think i will try it tommorow. I'm not ready today to try this out and be ready to troubleshoot and hope to get back to windows like last time. Worse if my ssd breaks for whatever reason. It sounds imposible but it is awso impossible for the ssd to dissapier in bios after just activating resizable bar right ? To me this was the case and i still have no clue why that happend and if it will repeat or not..

I remember back in the day as Crysis came out it must be around 2008. I had a Core 2 Quad Q9450 which i extra overclocked to play crysis on it and i bought a brand new 8800GTS 512mb G92 GPU. I awso remember the high heat the pc had from the overclocking on the small room i was. So i was overclocking cpu and ram and i think GPU as well.. Anyway on those preparation i walked over the PSU cable and step on it.. Then a huge boom explosion occured. The pc immidiatly shut down. I never heard befor any pc to explode like that. It was literaly a huuuge short and very loud "boooom.." And i tought thats it this pc is done and i fucked up.. I started brainstorming and testing to try start my pc but all failed. Till i found the problem. The pc survived and everything worked except the PSU cable was broken. I changed the cable and the pc run perfectly fine. I then gamed Crysis all ultra settings around 25-30 fps maybe 35 sometime. After i activated the resizable bar and my pc immidiatly crash i had memories from this explosion back then...

Last edited:

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Well, I had a 3060Ti before this card, at the point I installed it and installed the most up to date drivers at that time having already enabled both the bar and 4g decode in the Bios, saved the settings and I was away, Bios booted up and immediately everything was working, all I did therefore when I got the 4070 was to install it and update to the newest NVidia drivers and again it was all working ........... maybe I was lucky........... what CPU do you have?

Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
@Tatty_Two
No luck on your side, that’s how ReBAR is supposed to work. OPs issues are entirely his setup related.