• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Repasting (?), Ideal optimization and Throttlestop settings | OMEN 17-cb0xxx / i7-9750H / RTX 2060

Kerem0613

My repaste was almost 8 months ago, and temps are now rising hardcore again. CPU is going up to 97°C+ and my GPU is in its peak temps with 90°C+, after an 1 hour of playing squad and other demanding games.

1) Is it normal, that after 8 months after repasting the thermal paste starts becoming "ineffective"? Thermal Paste I've used is the Thermalright TFX, which is supposed to be a good thermal paste for Omen laptops according to the HP Omen discord server. Should I repaste again with the same thermal paste, or do y'all have any other recommendation?

2) Do you guys know any optimal Throttlestop settings one can use, to minimize temps while having (almost) the same gaming performance?

3) Any way i could optimize my laptop in general? I really don't want to follow some BS tutorials in the internet, that's why I am asking you guys.

Thanks to yall in advance, if anything isn't clear, let me know!

System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x G.Skill F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 28" UE590 UHD
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
Keyboard Leopold Tenkeyless
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy: 7695
1) Yes. Thermal paste 'pumps out' due to thermal expansion/contraction cycles. Voids occur.

3) Upgrade your thermal paste to Honeywell PTM7950 thermal pad. It is amazing how much better it works and lasts for this application.

Kerem0613

1) Yes. Thermal paste 'pumps out' due to thermal expansion/contraction cycles. Voids occur.

3) Upgrade your thermal paste to Honeywell PTM7950 thermal pad. It is amazing how much better it works and lasts for this application.
Thanks alot, do you know any recommended optimization regarding Software?

Also the Honeywell PTM7950 costs 30€ on Amazon, and up to 30€ on Aliexpress aswell, depending on size. What size should I get?

System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x G.Skill F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 28" UE590 UHD
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
Keyboard Leopold Tenkeyless
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy: 7695
I got it from Amazon. There are lots of fakes out there, so don't get the cheapest stuff that is actually just a regular thermal pad. The real deal is something special and surprisingly good.

Applying it is tricky. It's easier to apply if you get it cold. And use exacto-knife to grab the corner of the protective film and peel it off.

They now also sell a paste version which is easier to apply, but I don't know if it performs or lasts as well.

My laptop went from 90c after a brand new repaste (100c throttle after a number of months each time), to 70-80c after first application of the Honeywell pad. And it is holding there. I tried everything already. Only thing which worked as good was liquid metal, but liquid metal didn't last for me before it started oxidizing or whatever it does.

Last edited:
My experience with Thermalright TFX on my laptop was that after application the results were fantastic, but this only lasted a few days and degraded with intensive use.

The thermal paste pumped out.

Voltage adjustment doesn't solve the temperature problem of a CPU with thermal paste that has pumped out.

You will continue with the same temperatures but your clocks will increase, increasing performance.

I had an i7-9750H which was completely stable with -125mV on the cache and the sweet spot was -210mV on the core.

With Windows at high performance (Speedshift = 0) the i7 was stable with -135mV in the cache and my core could go up to -225mV still delivering benefits in some workloads.

Kerem0613

My experience with Thermalright TFX on my laptop was that after application the results were fantastic, but this only lasted a few days and degraded with intensive use.

The thermal paste pumped out.

Voltage adjustment doesn't solve the temperature problem of a CPU with thermal paste that has pumped out.

You will continue with the same temperatures but your clocks will increase, increasing performance.

I had an i7-9750H which was completely stable with -125mV on the cache and the sweet spot was -210mV on the core.

With Windows at high performance (Speedshift = 0) the i7 was stable with -135mV in the cache and my core could go up to -225mV still delivering benefits in some workloads.
I just realised I have Speedshift on 128. Would you recommend putting this on 0? Just saw the higher clocks are more "stable".

I just realised I have Speedshift on 128. Would you recommend putting this on 0? Just saw the higher clocks are more "stable".
What happens is that according to the clock the undervoltage can vary.

With Speedshift at 0, the clock always remains above 4.0GHz up to 4.5GHz on this i7 and in my case this range allowed a smaller voltage.

For light everyday tasks I usually use the balanced profile with Speedshift at 84.

Under heavy CPU-only loads I change the Throttlestop profile to high performance (Speedshift at 0).

In cross loads with CPU and GPU I prefer to keep Speedshift at 84.