• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ROG Strix LC III 360 ARG AIO What should the pump speed be?

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Asus ROG Strix LC360
Memory GSkill TridentZ RGB 4x16GB (F4-3600C16Q-64GTZNC)
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX3070TI FTW3
Storage Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Asus TUF Gaming VG279QM
Case Be Quiet Silent Base 802 White
Power Supply Be Quiet! BN284 STRAIGHT POWER 11 80+ Gold 850w
Mouse Asus ROG Gladius II Core
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope
Hello everyone;

I'm using Asus ROG Strix LC III 360 ARGB Liquid Cooling with my 7900X3D processor and ROG Strix B650E-E motherboard.

I was previously using the 1st generation of this model. And when using it, I always used it in DC mode and at full speed with the Pump speed setting.

Now, in this new model, the Pump speed technical document states that it operates in the range of 800-2800RPM. And when I do Calibration from the motherboard's QFAN menu, it manually configures the pump speed to operate between 2600 and 2800. There are also Silent/Normal/Turbo options.

What adjustment do you recommend I make for the pump speed? Many people recommend using a Constant speed on the internet. Some people also say that using the processor at full speed when it is not under load is unnecessary and will shorten the working life of the pump.

What do you think is the best setting for me to make?
I would be very happy if you could give me information about this.

Your motherboard has an AIO Pump Header, connect the pump to that and it will run at full speed all the time. The benefit of varying pump speeds is unclear, some people report it only makes a few degrees difference in CPU temps.

The main controller of CPU temps is the AIO fans and to a lesser degree the case fans. Its easier to set a profile for them based on 100% pump speed because its a constant factor and the fans are tied only to how hot the CPU is. Varying the pump speed could mean the fans running faster because the pump is running slower.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
I've diddled around with different AIO pump speeds on several builds using several AIOs and in the end, I came to the conclusion (which has been published by others) that AIO pump speed does not affect cooling performance as much as fan speed & type (given the same radiator).

I also did this with several custom cooling loops with the same basic results. Coolant flow velocity is less important than radiator/fan performance.

If there's an extra motherboard header I will set the AIO pump to function at 50% (6V) at idle and run at 100% (12V) on a full CPU load. If there is no extra header, I'll just let it run at 100% and move on with my life.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Asus ROG Strix LC360
Memory GSkill TridentZ RGB 4x16GB (F4-3600C16Q-64GTZNC)
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX3070TI FTW3
Storage Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Asus TUF Gaming VG279QM
Case Be Quiet Silent Base 802 White
Power Supply Be Quiet! BN284 STRAIGHT POWER 11 80+ Gold 850w
Mouse Asus ROG Gladius II Core
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope
Your motherboard has an AIO Pump Header, connect the pump to that and it will run at full speed all the time. The benefit of varying pump speeds is unclear, some people report it only makes a few degrees difference in CPU temps.

The main controller of CPU temps is the AIO fans and to a lesser degree the case fans. Its easier to set a profile for them based on 100% pump speed because its a constant factor and the fans are tied only to how hot the CPU is. Varying the pump speed could mean the fans running faster because the pump is running slower.

I'm using it the way you already said. The pump is connected to the AIO_Pump socket on the motherboard. However, the pump automatically adjusts the speed to variable mode (PWM Mode), not fixed (DC Mode).

In other words, it does not run at a constant speed like other AIO coolers. The technical specifications of the product also state that it operates between 800-2800RPM.

That's why I wanted to ask, is it a problem if this turnover rate is variable? Or should I set it to a constant speed and use it?

I've diddled around with different AIO pump speeds on several builds using several AIOs and in the end, I came to the conclusion (which has been published by others) that AIO pump speed does not affect cooling performance as much as fan speed & type (given the same radiator).

I also did this with several custom cooling loops with the same basic results. Coolant flow velocity is less important than radiator/fan performance.

If there's an extra motherboard header I will set the AIO pump to function at 50% (6V) at idle and run at 100% (12V) on a full CPU load. If there is no extra header, I'll just let it run at 100% and move on with my life.
Then, from your comment, I come to the following conclusion;

It does not matter if the pump speed of the product in my hand is variable. I should use it as is, right?
Because its operating range is between 800-2800rpm. and it adjusts automatically.

I don't need to set it to a constant speed then, right?

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 16
System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
If your AIO pump is automatically changing speeds by itself I'd leave it alone. It sounds like Asus engineers programmed it to do what I have to set manually in the BIOS.

Good for Asus. Good for you, you can move on with your life.