• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Serious artifacts 9700Pro

jwl

I'm wondering if someone might have some ideas about the problem I'm having. I've recently started to get serious artifacts with my 9700Pro. When using Windows, I have no problems. Even ATITool doesn't detect any errors and it finds a max clock of just over 400MHz. But the second I fire up a game or anything 3D, I get all kinds of weird stuff.

I know it isn't a power issue since I modded an old 300W Antec PSU and plugged my card into that. So even with a PSU all to itself, I still get the artifacts. It isn't running hot since I have it water cooled with copper RAM sinks. The back of the GPU barely gets warm.

I'm stumped. Is this common for a toasted video card? Any ideas? I'd like to avoid buying a new card right now if I can.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

jwl

floppy

A game needs more graphics power than this ATITool 3D thing... just turn down core- and memoryclocks about 5 MHz and try again.

Btw: what's your memory clock and how many ns does your video card RAM have? :)

Lt_Omega

JWL, check for tearing on the window of your ATitool.
ATitool does an excellent job in checking for delta errors, but if there is any tearing/flickering in the ATiTool 3D window, i suggest downclocking the OC until no more tears appear.